inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Frente!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 7:05 am

Frente!

http://us.ent1.yimg.com/images.launch.yahoo.com/000/010/466/10466439.jpg

Frente! was an Australian alternative pop/rock group, formed in 1991. The lineup featured singer Angie Hart, founder and guitarist Simon Austin, bassist Tim O'Connor (later replaced by Bill McDonald), and drummer Mark Picton (later replaced by Alastair Barden).

Frente! burst onto the Australian music charts with the singles "Ordinary Angels" (from the "Clunk" EP, #3, gold) and "Accidentally Kelly Street" (#4, platinum) in 1992. Notable as much for the bizarre filmclips ("Accidentally Kelly Street" consisted of the band with oversized novelty props of household items) as their light-hearted pop lyrics, Frente!'s debut album, Marvin the Album (#5) was also a success, going platinum in Australia. Another single was released from the album in early 1993, "No Time" (#50), which did not fare as well. Their first EP Whirled is very difficult to find now.

"Ordinary Angels" finished the year as the 20th best selling single of 1992 on the ARIA charts, with "Accidentally Kelly Street" finishing 29th. The band's only major overseas success was with an acoustic cover of New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle", which was released in Australia on a re-issued version of the "Lonely" EP in 1994 (#7, with the first issue charting at #88).

In between the first and second Frente albums, Angie Hart lent her vocal to an Australian single by Pop! titled "Tingly" (#92), released in late 1995.

Frente! released a second album, Shape, in 1996, but it didn't produce hit singles (the first single "Sit On My Hands" peaked at #66 in Australia, and the 2nd, "What's Come Over Me" did not enter the top 100) like their previous effort and hence sold poorly, peaking at #35. Frente! broke up shortly after its release to pursue other projects.

Frente! also has a track on a compilation album, Saturday Morning Cartoons' Greatest Hits, the song is "Open Up Your Heart And Let The Sun Shine In" from the Flintstones. The album was released December 5th, 1995.

Frente! also had a track (Ordinary Angels) on the soundtrack for the hit American Tv show: "Melrose Place". This album was released October 18th, 1994.

Frente! disbanded in 1996, and Angie Hart moved on to the pop duo Splendid, and later to the band Holidays on Ice.

In January 2005, Frente! reformed for some Australian east coast dates. The line-up for these shows was Angie Hart, Simon Austin, Bill McDonald and Pete Luscombe on drums.

Discography

Whirled EP (1991)
Marvin the Album (1992, international release in 1994)
Shape (1996)
Try To Think Less EP (2005)

Subject: Re: Frente!

Written By: Davester on 07/06/06 at 3:10 pm

Just had to say that I remember where I was the night Frente! murdered "Bizarre Love Triangle"...I'll never forgive them for that...

Where were you..?

Seriously, can't remember hearing any other songs by Frente!...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 5:14 pm

Just had to say that I remember where I was the night Frente! murdered "Bizarre Love Triangle"...I'll never forgive them for that...

Where were you..?

Seriously, can't remember hearing any other songs by Frente!...

I learned about Frente! years ago from my sister Brandy. She had a very diverse taste in music and was always looking for bands that weren't on the top charts...and this was one of them. I listened to them once and that's all it took for me to become a fan! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/06 at 6:10 pm

They did murder that song.  I eventually forgave them for that, when I realized that eventually one day, someone else is gonna do a cover of "Bizarre Love Triangle", and it will either be some speed metal version or some hip hop version.  I'll take acoustical over those two anyday ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/06/06 at 8:32 pm

They did murder that song.  I eventually forgave them for that, when I realized that eventually one day, someone else is gonna do a cover of "Bizarre Love Triangle", and it will either be some speed metal version or some hip hop version.  I'll take acoustical over those two anyday ;D

I don't mind the cover too much.  I have a dance remix of the Frente cover from a remix service that's pretty decent.

The worst mix of BLT IMO is the Armand Van Helden mix on "The Rest Of New Order".  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...