inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alanis Morissette

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 4:37 am

Canadian-born Alanis Morissette is a popular Alternative Rock singer who orginally gained fame in Canada as a dance artist

http://www.pcrm.org/gala/images/Alanis-Morissette.jpg

-- BIOGRAPHY --

Ottawa, Ontario's Morissette began her music career as a singer and performer but was first a regular on the kids' TV show 'You Can't Do That On Television'. With money she saved from her TV work, Morissette recorded her self-penned songs "Find The Right Man" and "Fate Stay With Me" with Rich Dodson (The Stampeders) in Toronto and released it as a single.  She caught her big musical break at Major's Hill Park during the 1987 springtime Tulip Festival run by local entertainment whiz Stephan Klovan. She had impressed Klovan by singing "Find The Right Man" -- she was 12 -- and so Klovan made her a feature attraction in the show. Recognizing a talent in the making, Klovan searched out opportunities to showcase the singer. Klovan found a way of profiling the young singer by getting her to sing the National Anthem at high-profile events.

Her first job was at the 1988 World Figure Skating Championships in Ottawa during Klovan's work on Olympic skating medalist Elizabeth Manley's TV special. Producers asked him to supply the anthem so he got Morissette and two Ottawa musicians to record a rollicking version of the song which was well received.  One of the musicians was Leslie Howe, an Ottawa writer/producer/musician who was half of synth-pop duo One To One. Starting in 1988 and over the course of five years, Morissette worked in Howe's home studio collaborating on what would become the making of her career.  Klovan's original motive for working with Howe was to record material for Morissette to to land a slot on 'Star Search'. Morissette did an updated remake of The Osmond's "One Bad Apple" for the 'Star Search' audition (which she never appeared on).  Howe, Morissette and keyboardist Serge Cote put together her dance tunes while Klovan groomed her looks with assistance from clothing retailers. Morissette would end up modelling for a Dalmy's catalogue and made instore appearances.  Howe and Klovan then set their sights on a record deal for the singer. They produced a an expensive and self-financed video for one of the Howe demos called "Walk Away" filmed around the Eiffel Tower in France.

Howe managed to convince MCA A & R director John Alexander to audition the video. While waiting for her big break she was under great pressure as she was still attending Glebe Collegiate, recording, and still performing in cover band The New York Fries as a means to hone her live chops.  Something had to give and it was her work with the New York Fries. Shortly after, MCA signed the young singer and in April, 1991, the label issued 'Alanis'. As Alanis, Morissette was compared to other teen sensations of the time like Debbie Gibson and Tiffany. Detractors, however, couldn't stop Alanis' turn on radio which jumped all over the first single "Too Hot". By July 1991, "Too Hot" had edged into contemporary hit radio Top 10.  The second single/video "Feel Your Love" followed. Also that summer, Morissette sang at the Ottawa Rough Riders' half-time show and execs from MCA flew in from Toronto to present her with a gold record (50,000 copies in Canada).

In March 1992, she was went to the Juno Awards after being nominated for three catagories: 'Single Of The Year', 'Best Dance Record' and 'Most Promising Female Vocalist' (the latter award she won). Her debut album eventually sold 200,000 which made it a tough act to follow.  Harder still was Morissette's return to school after becoming a Canadian personality. Morissette conquered the awkwardness by burying herself in the recording studio. With a more mature take on the groove between the grooves, Morissette returned with 'Now Is The Time' in October 1992.

The first single/video (filmed in Rome) was "An Emotion Away", which found itself at the top of the pop charts. The sales of 'Now Is The Time' were moderate compared to her debut and the album slipped out of sight.  Despite the impressive sales, Morissette's career had not been lucrative for the singer or Leslie how who, despite receiving a recording budget for each album was still in debt from his initial investment in the singer's career.

Enter agent/manager Scott Welch (who had made the career of Los Angeles Lakers cheerleader Paul Abdul as a singer). MCA's John Alexander approached Welch in 1993 to try and secure a stateside release for Alanis' two albums. Welch thought she was an okay pop singer but put the records aside not thinking much of the material. Alexander insisted that Welch should meet Morissette and get to know the mature-for-her age young singer.  Welch was impressed with her and suggested she look at a career change and develop her as an adult. The first step for Morissette was to relocate to Toronto and gain some new experiences and rub elbows with the industry. Alexander fronted her some cash to work on new demo tapes and live on.

Over two years she worked with an estimated 100 songwriters with little useable material because Morissette was exercising her creativity and the songwriters were merely hired guns trying to fill spaces on her next album.  Her time in Toronto was a valuable life experience, as was a trip to Nashville but produced no concrete material. She began making trips to Los Angeles to write with people there, too, but it provided its own set of stresses including getting robbed at gunpoint.

After several false starts, Morissette hooked up with a strong musical force in Glen Ballard who was originally a keyboardist and staff producer for Quincy Jones whose resume read like the Who's Who of modern music including Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole and dozens of other big names.  In February, 1994, during a brief trip to Los Angeles, Morissette arrived at Ballard's studio ready to write and fifteen minutes later they were deep in the middle of their first tune, "The Bottom Line", and had clicked immediately.  The song never saw a release nor did the first half dozen or so. But a connection had been made and Morissette relocated to LA so that the two could work consistantly over extended periods of time.

While writing they decided to take advantage of Ballards home studio set up and what initially were intended as demos became the core of her third album 'Jagged Little Pill'.  Because of the speed and quality of their output, Ballard suggested Welch hold off on searching for a new record deal. The duo didn't want a label tampering with the creative process and instead aimed to finish the new album and sell it complete - as a single vision.

Once the team finished the record Welch set up meetings with several labels but Morissette found her artistic outlook clashing with the corporate agenda of many of the labels. Several labels showed mild interest but it was Madonna' vanity label Maverick which showed they were truly willing to go the distance provided Morissette had the live chops to back up her cutting edge material.  Ballard and Morissette did an acoustic showcase for execs at the label and she was signed immediately.

"You Oughta Know" was issued on a compilation CD issued with a music magazine. An influential L.A. radio station picked up the track and controvery followed with the inclusion of the word 'f*ck' in one of the song's verses. The audience reaction was instant and the song was soon added to stations right across the US.  But instead of jumping on the hype band wagon, Welch and Morissette agreed to limit the singer's over exposure factor by not appearing on too many TV shows or granting too many interviews and instead she hit the road to test her band and the reaction of her material with live audiences.

Touring like a real struggling rock act in a cramped van for months on end finally paid off when the group was featured on the MTV Awards in New York performing "You Oughta Know". That appearance was followed up another on 'Saturday Night Live.'  Her conquering of Canada however, would be tougher given the industry and public perception of Alanis The Disco Queen. Morissette showcased for label reps in Banff, Alberta and no one told them who she was -- just let the music speak -- and the reps were blown away.'

Not wanting a repeat of her previous monetary fiasco with MCA, Morissette took no advance royalties and instead negotiated a percentage based on future sales. Figuring her album would do a standard 200,000 to 250,000 units, Warner Music agreed.  'Jagged Little Pill' raced up the charts and critics slammed it as Morissette's opportunistic attempt at riding the 'alternative' music bandwagon. The album would go on to have 5 Top-10 singles and sell over 15 million copies worldwide.  Grammy Awards, Juno Awards and video awards followed with Morissette touring to record audiences and ticket sales. A final statement on the album's success was released in 1997 in the form of a full-length live video also called "Jagged Little Pill" and Morissette retired to the pressure of writing her born-again sophomore effort.

So far only the song "Uninvited" has emerged from the soundtrack to the Nicholas Cage movie "City Of Angels". In the interim she's also launched her 'Can't Not Tour' Tour which saw her perform at the 1998 Tibetan Freedom concert in the US.  With the much anticipated follow-up album 'Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie', featuring the single "Thank U", being released for the pre-Christmas 1998 rush, Morissette has eased herself back into the limelight with 12 low-key promotional concerts at club, not concert, venues.

-- ALBUMS --

Year 1991 1992 1995 1998 1999 2002 2002 2004 2005 2005

Album Title Alanis Now is the Time Jagged Little Pill Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie MTV Unplugged Under Rug Swept Feast on Scraps So-Called Chaos Jagged Little Pill: Acoustic The Collection

-- HIT SINGLES --

Year 1991 1991 1991 1992 1992 1993 1993 1993 1995 1995 199619961996199619981998199919991999199920022002 2003 2004 2004 2004 2005

Song Title Too Hot Feel Your Love Walk Away Plastic An Emotion Away No Apologies Real World Change (Is Never A Waste of Time) You Oughta Know Hand in My Pocket Ironic You Learn Head Over Feet All I Really Want Uninvited Thank U Joining You Unsent So Pure That I Would Be Good Hands Clean Precious Illusions Simple Together Everything Out is Through Eight Easy Steps Crazy

Canada #14 #24 #35 #67 #24 #14 #84 #30 #20 #1 #1#1#1--#7#1#40#9#14#41 #1 #4 -- #3 -- -- --

United Kingdom -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- #22 #26 #11#24#7#59#7#5#28#58#38--#12#53 -- #22 #56 -- #65

United States -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- #4 #8-- ----#17--#58-------------- -- --

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

All I Really Want | Eight Easy Steps | Everything | Feel Your Love | Hand in My Pocket | Hands Clean | Head Over Feet | Ironic | Precious Illusions | Simple Together | So Pure | Thank U | Too Hot | Uninvited | Walk Away | You Learn | You Oughta Know

Subject: Re: Alanis Morissette

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/08/06 at 12:47 pm

I like Alanis' stuff alright.  "Too Hot" sounded kinda hip-hoppy to me.  I have some badwazoo remixes of "Eight Easy Steps" and "Uninvited".  I even dig her cover of Seal's "Crazy". :)

Written By: nally on 07/10/06 at 11:25 am

I even dig her cover of Seal's "Crazy". :)

I don't. I can't listen to even three seconds of it. :P Why'd she have to ruin a decent song?

I do, however, like her 90's stuff, with "Uninvited" being my favourite of her singles.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/10/06 at 11:31 am

Jagged Little Pill was the first album that I ever purchased for myself, mainly on the strength of the singles. I've since moved beyond her music, but purchasing that album was a fateful decision for me, even though I didn't realize it at the time - it led me to Tori Amos, who in turn led me to many other artists I enjoy (the most important being Kate Bush).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 11:33 am

I dig Alanis...she has a lot of good songs!

Subject: Alanis Morissette

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 8:02 pm

Alanis Nadine Morissette (born June 1, 1974) is a Canadian-American singer-songwriter and occasional actress. Her international debut album, Jagged Little Pill (1995), sold thirty million copies. Morissette followed up the album with several less commercially successful albums

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/06 at 8:10 pm

thanks for that info on Alanis...I really like her. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 8:11 pm

thanks for that info on Alanis...I really like her. :)

I do too.  ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 8:13 pm

Right now I'm listening to the acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill, I love it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/06 at 8:14 pm

Right now I'm listening to the acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill, I love it.

that's a great album. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/06 at 8:26 pm

Jagged Little Pill, one of those rare albums, at least in my opinion where I treasure the entire album. And no female vocalist can utter the F-word like Alanis in "You Oughta Know"  ;D  the girl can wail on her harmonica too.  When I saw her with the new haircut, I was shocked, but I got used to it, she is so cute.  I only own her JLP album, and no others.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/06 at 8:58 pm

I liked Alanis more when she was a dance/pop singer.  Her first two albums produced 8 hits in Canada (4 on each).  I still have the cassingle for "Too Hot".  Her 1991 album is one that I can still listen to for hours on end  8)

http://www.alanis-morissette.com/jam_lyrics/alanis/jam_alanis_CD_cover.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/06 at 9:43 pm

Not sure what year this was taken, but I like it.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/Alanis2.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/28/06 at 11:06 pm

I liked Alanis more when she was a dance/pop singer.  Her first two albums produced 8 hits in Canada (4 on each).  I still have the cassingle for "Too Hot".  Her 1991 album is one that I can still listen to for hours on end  8)

In the late '90s I saw this "Before they were famous" type program on VH1 about various celebs. Alanis got a spot singing this Debbie Gibson-esque song that had the lyrics "I'm tryin' to figure out this boy I know..." or something. I'm guessing that was the song.

BTW, I like a few of her Jagged Little Pill hits too. Despite the angry lyrics, I thought she had more in common (soundwise) with '90s pop/rock than with grunge or anything. "Ironic" especially got me into her c. 1997.

Subject: the Mynah Bird

Written By: woops on 12/29/06 at 2:53 am

BTW, Deborah Gibson have evolved from teen pop to more mature A/C (sometimes dance) pop like Celine Dion

If Alanis had been famous in the US, nobody would've given her a chance and "JLP" might've been a flop

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/29/06 at 2:58 am

BTW, Deborah Gibson have evolved from teen pop to more mature A/C (sometimes dance) pop like Celine Dion

If Alanis had been famous in the US, nobody would've given her a chance and "JLP" might've been a flop

That's weird and yet so true, isn't it?

If her dance songs had gotten big around 1990/'91, it could've been tacked onto the end of the Eighties teenpop craze. Then, if she already had that image, I bet JLP wouldn't have been given a chance. The '90s would've been quite a bit different (at least 1995+).

Written By: La Roche on 12/30/06 at 1:45 pm

Not a lot of people know.. that the individual mentioned in that 'You Oughta Know' song.. is actually me. See me and Alanis had a thing going on.. but all her agents and record execs and stuff paid me off ($20.. US!!!) so that we wouldn't get all caught up and stuff.. ya see.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/30/06 at 7:05 pm

Not a lot of people know.. that the individual mentioned in that 'You Oughta Know' song.. is actually me. See me and Alanis had a thing going on.. but all her agents and record execs and stuff paid me off ($20.. US!!!) so that we wouldn't get all caught up and stuff.. ya see.

When you were 7 years old?

Check for new replies or respond here...