inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo Power magazine

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/08/06 at 8:20 pm

I was just thinking today... One of my older brothers started collecting Nintendo Power when it was first created in the late '80s, and I continued to collect every issue through the early '90s. I still had them all stacked in a box in my closet until 2002... That was the year we moved, and I decided to use that opportunity to rid myself of all sorts of "useless junk" that I had been hoarding over the years. Honestly, I could kick myself for that now. I'd love to be able to flip back through the old issues and read reviews and strategy-guides for old NES and SNES games. I read these magazines a lot in the early '90s... I particularly remember some of the comics (Mario Brothers, Battletoads, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda), and I know that perusing their pages would bring back a whole load of memories of the early '90s that have become more vague with time.

I started playing video games at a disturbingly young age, but I never progressed beyond the Super Nintendo and I stopped collecting the magazine sometime (I'm guessing) around the mid-'90s. I'm pretty much stuck in the past where games are concerned, and I have little clue what modern consoles are like.

Subject: Re: Nintendo Power magazine

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/08/06 at 11:27 pm

I was just thinking today... One of my older brothers started collecting Nintendo Power when it was first created in the late '80s, and I continued to collect every issue through the early '90s. I still had them all stacked in a box in my closet until 2002... That was the year we moved, and I decided to use that opportunity to rid myself of all sorts of "useless junk" that I had been hoarding over the years. Honestly, I could kick myself for that now. I'd love to be able to flip back through the old issues and read reviews and strategy-guides for old NES and SNES games. I read these magazines a lot in the early '90s... I particularly remember some of the comics (Mario Brothers, Battletoads, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda), and I know that perusing their pages would bring back a whole load of memories of the early '90s that have become more vague with time.

I started playing video games at a disturbingly young age, but I never progressed beyond the Super Nintendo and I stopped collecting the magazine sometime (I'm guessing) around the mid-'90s. I'm pretty much stuck in the past where games are concerned, and I have little clue what modern consoles are like.

I'm actually somewhere in between when it comes to the old school-vs-new school video game argument. I still love to play my old 2D consoles on the one hand but I still love to keep up/get new consoles as they come out. I got the Xbox 360 on Launch day and plan to do the same with the PS3. Even though I will admit that those old 2D games do have a certain magic to them... ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/06 at 11:47 pm

Yeah, I know how you feel, dude. I subscribed to NP from 1988-94 too - in the early days, it was partly 'cause my dad played them too, so we both had good use for them.

I still have about 30 of those (which will probably stay with me the rest of my life ;) ), mostly from the later era. The others either got worn out from overuse, some I gave to friends, others maybe I just threw out after awhile, if it didn't have any features on games I knew/liked, etc. Of course I could kick my own *ss for doing that now too, lol. Over time, I truly believe things from your "past" become more special to you.

I also really side with the 2D games.

In fact, I recall the huge magazine they had for the end of 1994, with a giant black cover with '95 written on the front. And even though I was still just 13, I recalled thinking that I didn't feel like renewing the subscription just because I wasn't as interested in the newer games anymore. By then, the original NES was more or less done making new games, and I only had a few select favorite Super Nintendo games (i.e. A Link To the Past).

1986/87-92 is the "NES era" I'd say, and that'll always be the best. :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 11:55 pm

I had a Nintendo Power subscription too, but I eventually canceleld it in favour of GamePro Magazine

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/06 at 4:15 pm

Yeah, I know how you feel, dude. I subscribed to NP from 1988-94 too - in the early days, it was partly 'cause my dad played them too, so we both had good use for them.

I still have about 30 of those (which will probably stay with me the rest of my life ;) ), mostly from the later era. The others either got worn out from overuse, some I gave to friends, others maybe I just threw out after awhile, if it didn't have any features on games I knew/liked, etc. Of course I could kick my own *ss for doing that now too, lol. Over time, I truly believe things from your "past" become more special to you.

I also really side with the 2D games.

In fact, I recall the huge magazine they had for the end of 1994, with a giant black cover with '95 written on the front. And even though I was still just 13, I recalled thinking that I didn't feel like renewing the subscription just because I wasn't as interested in the newer games anymore. By then, the original NES was more or less done making new games, and I only had a few select favorite Super Nintendo games (i.e. A Link To the Past).

Yeah, those old 2D games are awesome aren't they ;). I think that people around my age(roughly 1984-1991 or so) tend to like both 2D and 3D(of course this is just a generalization) because when they were kids and first started playing games, 2D was still the dominant format but before they got all that old 3D video games started up and they were still young enough to get into them. People a bit younger than me(say 1993+) tend to like mostly 3D and not really get what all the fuss over 2D games is all about. Marty would'nt you say that most people around your age tend to like 2D games over 3D game quite a bit?

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/10/06 at 1:23 pm

Hah! I had forgotten about that black '95 issue, but as soon as you mentioned it I clearly remembered the cover as well. It's hard to believe I got that 11 years ago... I wish I had kept it. :( It was shortly after that that I stopped collecting them as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...