inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Funniest Movie Comedian of the 90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:32 pm

Which film (mainly film, at least) comedian makes you laugh out loud the most? Do you prefer the wacky, looney humour of Jim Carrey, the 'everyday' style of Eddie Murphy or Steve Martin, or the more cerebral humour of...well, some other guy.

Subject: Re: Funniest Movie Comedian of the 90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 1:44 pm

I suppose this thread should be moved to the 'Comedy' board I did not realise existed until just then...

Written By: audkal on 07/11/06 at 11:34 pm

I say Jim Carrey!

My bro remembers like 10 years ago when my aunts/uncles (they are like 80 now) were talking about Leslie Neilson (the guy from the Naked Gun movies).

One of them was like: "He's so much funnier than that Carrey guy"
The other one:          "Oh YES!"

I never understood why people liked the Naked Gun movies, but that's just me.

Written By: Davester on 07/13/06 at 8:53 pm

I say Jim Carrey!

My bro remembers like 10 years ago when my aunts/uncles (they are like 80 now) were talking about Leslie Neilson (the guy from the Naked Gun movies).

One of them was like: "He's so much funnier than that Carrey guy"
The other one:          "Oh YES!"

I agree with your aunts/uncles...but then, I'm like 36 now... ;)

I never understood why people liked the Naked Gun movies, but that's just me.

Watch Airplane.  Then you'll understand... ;)     

The first two Austin Powers installments are hilarious...

I'll pick Mike Meyers as funniest but you can have Wayne's World...

Edited:Added smart-ass remark...

Written By: audkal on 07/13/06 at 11:07 pm

I agree with your aunts/uncles...but then, I'm like 36 now... ;)

Watch Airplane.  Then you'll understand... ;)     

The first two Austin Powers installments are hilarious...

I'll pick Mike Meyers as funniest but you can have Wayne's World...

Edited:Added smart-ass remark...

Aww, hehe, well I saw Naked Gun 33 and 1/3 and only laughed once, but it's just 'cause I like/am accustomed to a certain style of comedy, which everyone is usually.

But I have to agree with you, I loved the first 2 Austin Powers movies (the 3rd one was OK), lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/06 at 11:27 pm

Which film (mainly film, at least) comedian makes you laugh out loud the most? Do you prefer the wacky, looney humour of Jim Carrey, the 'everyday' style of Eddie Murphy or Steve Martin, or the more cerebral humour of...well, some other guy.

I like all of them - some people criticize Eddie's move to more "family/PGish" humor in the 1996+ era, but I think that's his best stuff (the first Nutty Professor was hilarious.

Jim Carrey's early stuff was classic, too. I've often said I like '80s music and '90s movies. The first Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber was a big reason for the latter. ;) He struck me as one of those "goofball but ultimately smart" guys that would be fun to hang with in real life.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/14/06 at 9:51 am

Jim Carrey, especially Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, and The Cable Guy.

Written By: Fred on 07/14/06 at 5:24 pm

Hands down, Chris Farley. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Written By: audkal on 07/14/06 at 10:57 pm

Dude, can't believe I forgot Chris Farley!  Love him!  I was only 8 when he died but was still sad.  :\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 11:28 am

I like all of them - some people criticize Eddie's move to more "family/PGish" humor in the 1996+ era, but I think that's his best stuff (the first Nutty Professor was hilarious.

Jim Carrey's early stuff was classic, too. I've often said I like '80s music and '90s movies. The first Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber was a big reason for the latter. ;) He struck me as one of those "goofball but ultimately smart" guys that would be fun to hang with in real life.

When they are interviewed, most comedians say (sincerely nor not) that they (comedians) would make pretty boring drinking-buddies in real life. I tend to think that might be true, for some odd reason.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/17/06 at 12:04 am

When they are interviewed, most comedians say (sincerely nor not) that they (comedians) would make pretty boring drinking-buddies in real life. I tend to think that might be true, for some odd reason.

Yeah, I believe that 100%. ;)

I've actively been in performances (plays, student movies, etc) in the last few years, and I've totally always been one of those people that is very confident, outgoing and entertaining when I'm comfortable, but can equally be awkward/shy/nervous when I don't feel that way. I've heard this is true for many "creative" people, too.

Which is weird because sometimes people who aren't familar with it, don't get how easily "two sided" we can be, lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 12:20 am

I always thought the funniest movies from the '90s were ones that didn't have conventional comedians in them, but actors being funny. For that, I'll try and go with Philip Seymour Hoffman, since he was in Happiness and Boogie Nights and was hilarious.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 12:49 am

Gotta be Jim Carrey. Loved his stuff in the '90s still love it now.

Check for new replies or respond here...