inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What '80s Music Genre Was Most Disliked in the '90s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 3:12 pm

I'm going to say hair metal, by 1993 or so. New wave was probably seen more as being out of date, trivial, and silly by people born after 1973-1975, but not "hated" the same way.

Subject: Re: What '80s Music Genre Was Most Disliked in the '90s?

Written By: Gucas Lrabreel on 07/13/06 at 3:16 pm

Some late '80's pop like Deborah Gibson's early material (later albums ignored unfortunatelty) and New Kids

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/13/06 at 3:18 pm

I'm going to say hair metal, by 1993 or so. New wave was probably seen more as being out of date, trivial, and silly by people born after 1973-1975, but not "hated" the same way.

It's defidently hair metal. Nothing can compare to how hated hair metal was in the shadow of grunge c. 1993.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/06 at 3:42 pm

I think hair metal, because people were already getting sick of it as early as 1989 (just because of the second rate bands like Warrant and Winger, or the infinite amount of power ballads. '89 hair metal was alot less innovative even than '87 hair metal was, with Bon Jovi and Def Leppard having huge success). Grunge just gave them a new thing to listen to in place of it, although I think even if it hadn't come along, hair metal would've still been dead by '94.

Some of the '80s pop stars were actually able to keep going in the '90s by doing soft AC music (Bryan Adams, Sting, to an extent Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, etc).

Written By: woops on 07/13/06 at 4:41 pm

Some of the '80s pop stars were actually able to keep going in the '90s by doing soft AC music (Bryan Adams, Sting, to an extent Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, etc).

A certain '80's pop princess could've crossed over to A/C, but radio didn't give her a chance...  :(

C'mon, she's far better than Celine Dion and wasn't Alanis a teen pop singer too...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 6:24 pm

I think hair metal, because people were already getting sick of it as early as 1989 (just because of the second rate bands like Warrant and Winger, or the infinite amount of power ballads. '89 hair metal was alot less innovative even than '87 hair metal was, with Bon Jovi and Def Leppard having huge success). Grunge just gave them a new thing to listen to in place of it, although I think even if it hadn't come along, hair metal would've still been dead by '94.

Yeah...I don't think people ever hated new wave to the same degree, and the backlash against it wasn't as sudden as disco or hair metal. It was more of a slow transition in MTV's and American tastes as a whole, due to new wave's overexposure. I think new wave was perceived as being inconsequential, passe, effeminate, dated, and silly more around 1993 than anything else. However, I do know that there were certain rock fans who loved grunge who thought new wave was trying to make all rock electronic...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/13/06 at 6:44 pm

New Wave in a way fit into the '90s, because of its status as alternative rock.

Written By: James on 05/20/10 at 9:40 pm

It wasn't just hair metal that was maligned in the 90s but also other acts like Tiffani, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block. Also the dance pop that dominated the late 80s like Taylor Dayne, Paula Abdul, etc... Even Madonna lost her relevance around 1992/1993. New Wave was already dated and dead. 1991-1994 was a really interesting time for music where genres evolved into different and innovative sounds.

Written By: JTCool on 05/20/10 at 10:59 pm

I don't know if anyone feels the same, but I think the 90's have two kinda music scenes. The early 90's scene was pretty much Grunge but still had dance-pop with an uprising of hip-hop. Then the late 90's had Teen-pop thing going but also had other genres like post-grunge, hip-hop, pop-rock that weren't far behind.

Written By: joeman on 05/20/10 at 11:17 pm

I don't know if anyone feels the same, but I think the 90's have two kinda music scenes. The early 90's scene was pretty much Grunge but still had dance-pop with an uprising of hip-hop. Then the late 90's had Teen-pop thing going but also had other genres like post-grunge, hip-hop, pop-rock that weren't far behind.

Your right.  Teenagers were also different in that time too.  My brother started HS in 93 and was pretty much into the whole grunge and hiphop(Dr Dre, Tupac, Warren G, etc...) thing then.  I started HS in 99, and while I was into alt-rock in that time, I and including all my peers was either into hip-hop(DMX, Master P, or Eminem) or nu-metal. 

I think teen-pop was for the younger, pre-teen audience though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/21/10 at 2:59 pm

Hair metal and new wave

Written By: JTCool on 05/21/10 at 5:15 pm

Your right.  Teenagers were also different in that time too.  My brother started HS in 93 and was pretty much into the whole grunge and hiphop(Dr Dre, Tupac, Warren G, etc...) thing then.  I started HS in 99, and while I was into alt-rock in that time, I and including all my peers was either into hip-hop(DMX, Master P, or Eminem) or nu-metal. 

I think teen-pop was for the younger, pre-teen audience though.

Yeah I think that sums up a lot of that decade. I can't picture the pop of the late 90's having a chance on early 90's radio and vice versa.

With the whole teen-pop thing, I was about 7 or 8 in the late 90's and I remember all the teen-pop acts being huge for me and my siblings, but for teens around that time Im sure they probably hated most of it. I'm guessing it's similar to how older teens right now don't like Miley Cyrus or any of the other young teen acts because their market demographic is pre-teens.

Written By: tv on 05/22/10 at 4:22 pm

Probably Hair Metal and late 80's pop like Taylor Dayne, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, or Paula Abdul maybe Jody Watley even.

Written By: joeman on 05/24/10 at 9:26 pm

Yeah I think that sums up a lot of that decade. I can't picture the pop of the late 90's having a chance on early 90's radio and vice versa.

With the whole teen-pop thing, I was about 7 or 8 in the late 90's and I remember all the teen-pop acts being huge for me and my siblings, but for teens around that time Im sure they probably hated most of it. I'm guessing it's similar to how older teens right now don't like Miley Cyrus or any of the other young teen acts because their market demographic is pre-teens.

Yep.  I also think the teen pop in the late 80s/early 90s was also directed towards the pre-teen audience much like today's music.  Someone here in this forum mentioned that boy-bands and such appear in the late of the decade and early into the next.  Weird huh?  I guess the companies are grooming the up and coming teenagers to whatever music trend that is going to come.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/10 at 2:21 pm

I agree.  Hair metal.  Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, all that crap.

Hard rock fans hated synth pop in the '80s, but bands like Men Without Hats, Blancmange, and Kajagoogoo rapidly found fondness as '80s camp.  Duran Duran attempted to transcend their status as an "eighties band," but didn't really succeed.  Depeche Mode had more staying power over the past 20 years, but after Alan Wilder left, the center could not hold. 

Check for new replies or respond here...