inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Summer of 1994 - Great Movies!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 4:57 pm

This was a great summer for movies. I can't remember another time in my life where I saw SO many movies that were THAT good.

What were some of your favorites that you saw at the theatre/Pay-Per-View/Video?

Subject: Re: The Summer of 1994 - Great Movies!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 6:09 pm

Hmm...The Lion King.  I do remember all the advertisements for The Mask and The Santa Clause from that time, though. Some other movies from 1994 that I have seen since and liked are Pulp Fiction, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Muriel's Wedding, Heavenly Creatures, Clerks, The Crow.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/17/06 at 6:16 pm

I went to see The Lion King when it came out at the Carolina Circle Six Theatres at Carolina Circle Mall.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:19 pm

I saw The Lion King twice at the theatre. Once with my mom and another time with my best friend.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 6:19 pm

This was a great summer for movies. I can't remember another time in my life where I saw SO many movies that were THAT good.

What were some of your favorites that you saw at the theatre/Pay-Per-View/Video?

I saw The Lion King, The Mask, and got The Santa Clause on video later that year. Man the summer of '94 was awesome. Probably one of the best summers i've ever had 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:21 pm

I never saw the Mask at the theatre, but I did see "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" That was truly Jim Carrey's breakout year.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 6:25 pm

I never saw the Mask at the theatre, but I did see "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" That was truly Jim Carrey's breakout year.

I'm the reverse. I got Ace Ventura on tape the next year. Even though I was fairly young I was a huge Jim Carrey fan(still am btw)

Written By: Buck Melanoma on 07/17/06 at 6:29 pm

Pulp Fiction

but you are not old enough to watch that yet though?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:31 pm

One movie that impressed me immensely was Forrest Gump. I went into it not knowing much about it at all. It was almost like a sleeper, it took awhile to catch on until word got around. Seeing that in a packed theatre on a Friday night, hearing the people laugh and cry and clap was one of the last great theatre experiences I've ever had.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/17/06 at 6:40 pm

hahaha the only one I remember is Forrest Gump. Otherwise I was too busy preparing to leave for college and working.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:50 pm

hahaha the only one I remember is Forrest Gump. Otherwise I was too busy preparing to leave for college and working.

I only had two weeks off from school during this time period, so I was able to squeeze in some movies.. but luckily no college to prepare for, just Junior High.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 6:55 pm

I only had two weeks off from school during this time period, so I was able to squeeze in some movies.. but luckily no college to prepare for, just Junior High.

Yeah, no college for me either. Just 2nd Grade ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/17/06 at 7:00 pm

I really wanted to. I eventually caught some on video and cable though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 7:24 pm

Hmm...I still remember seeing The Lion King in a jampacked theater, and it was raining...loved that movie when it came out and I had a handheld video game thingy themed after it that broke really easily.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 7:29 pm

Hmm...I still remember seeing The Lion King in a jampacked theater, and it was raining...loved that movie when it came out and I had a handheld video game thingy themed after it that broke really easily.

I think for us, The Lion King came out in June. I had the Sega Genesis game and played it A LOT the following year. My cousins and I would play it for what seemed forever. I also remember getting a Simba and Nala stuffed animals where they kissed eachother if you put their noses together. I also bought the soundtrack and the Rhythm of the Pridelands CD because I liked that music so much.

Written By: Tim on 07/17/06 at 7:34 pm

Not just the Summerof 1994, but the entire year of 1994 had Great Movies.  Infact, it's the greatest year ever for movies.  Here is a complete list of Good/Great flicks from 1994

February 4th - "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"

February 18th - "Reality Bites"

May 11th - "The Crow"

May 20th - "Maverick"

June 10th - "Speed"

June 15th - "Lion King"

July 6th - "Forrest Gump"

July 15th - "True Lies"

July 20th - "The Client"

July 29th - "The Mask"

August 3rd - "Clear and Present Danger"

August 26th - "Natural Born Killers"

September 23rd - "The Shawshank Redemption"

September 30th - "Ed Wood"

October 14th - "Pulp Fiction"

October 19th - "Clerks"

November 11th - "Interview with the Vampire"

November 18th - "Leon: The Professional"

December 16th - "Dumb and Dumber"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/06 at 8:37 pm

Pulp Fiction is a good movie.

Written By: Gez on 07/18/06 at 5:31 am

Not just the Summerof 1994, but the entire year of 1994 had Great Movies.  Infact, it's the greatest year ever for movies.  Here is a complete list of Good/Great flicks from 1994

May 11th - "The Crow"

May 20th - "Maverick"

June 10th - "Speed"

June 15th - "Lion King"

July 15th - "True Lies"

July 20th - "The Client"

July 29th - "The Mask"

October 19th - "Clerks"

Hi everyone, this is my first post in what looks like a fantastic forum! I will sign up shortly.

Tim - great list. I totally agree. For me 1994 is the best film year ever. I saw alot of the ones you listed that year and others in subsequent years.

I'd add Hoop Dreams to that list too.

My favourites are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
The Lion King
Forrest Gump
Hoop Dreams
Speed
True Lies
Reality Bites
Leon

and almost all the ones you listed

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/19/06 at 11:22 am

May 11th - "The Crow"

May 20th - "Maverick"

June 10th - "Speed"

June 15th - "Lion King"

July 15th - "True Lies"

July 20th - "The Client"

July 29th - "The Mask"

October 19th - "Clerks"

Yeah, it was a pretty good year in movies.

Written By: Davester on 07/19/06 at 10:19 pm

Definatley The Crow...

Such a cool story.  Simple tale of revenge but done with class.  I can't remember how many times I went to see this movie...

Check for new replies or respond here...