inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celebrities Named Jennifer in the '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 11:18 pm

Doesn't Jennifer seem like a '90s (and '80s) chick name? Not for people born in the '90s, but for women in their teens and 20s?

There's Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Aniston, Jenny McCarthy, Jennifer Paige, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, I could go on.

Subject: Re: Celebrities Named Jennifer in the '90s

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/18/06 at 11:20 pm

lol I guess.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 11:46 pm

Yeah, I think Jennifer was also the common name of '80s teens (take Marty's girlfriend from BTTF ;) ).

Even though it's always sorta been popular, I still think of it as a relatively "young" name. Probably 1965-1990 born is where it's most popular.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, I think Jennifer was also the common name of '80s teens (take Marty's girlfriend from BTTF ;) ).

Even though it's always sorta been popular, I still think of it as a relatively "young" name. Probably 1965-1990 born is where it's most popular.

Yeah, probably about the mid 60s to the early 90s. Do you think 1965 maybe up the early '90s is sort of the "Young name" era? From about the mid '90s up you have the weird names, and before about 1965 they start getting more old fashioned. The '80s/'90s teen names are mostly about 1965-1990, maybe up to about 1993.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, probably about the mid 60s to the early 90s. Do you think 1965 maybe up the early '90s is sort of the "Young name" era? From about the mid '90s up you have the weird names, and before about 1965 they start getting more old fashioned. The '80s/'90s teen names are mostly about 1965-1990, maybe up to about 1993.

Yeah, I think tons of 1985-90 chicks in particular have "young" names. I remember George Carlin saying "Someday we're gonna have nursing homes with Tiffany's, Ambers, Ashleys and Brittanys" (;D). Those could conceivably all be, say 1965-early '90s names.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/18/06 at 11:59 pm

Yeah, I think tons of 1985-90 chicks in particular have "young" names. I remember George Carlin saying "Someday we're gonna have nursing homes with Tiffany's, Ambers, Ashleys and Brittanys" (;D). Those could conceivably all be, say 1965-early '90s names.

;D

I think 1991 is when Emilys and Madisons start popping up. Still I think '90s names, like Samantha and Chelsea are a lot less "corny" than baby names from the '00s, stuff like Caydence  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 12:02 am

;D

I think 1991 is when Emilys and Madisons start popping up. Still I think '90s names, like Samantha and Chelsea are a lot less "corny" than baby names from the '00s, stuff like Caydence  ;D

Yeah, I think Samantha is probably currently a 12-30 year old chick's name (centering on '80s babies). I actually do remember around 1997 is when "weird" names started popping up. I always thought, Hey, what about in 2010 or something, aren't those kids gonna start being embarrased about that? ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 12:06 am

Yeah, I think Samantha is probably currently a 12-30 year old chick's name (centering on '80s babies). I actually do remember around 1997 is when "weird" names started popping up. I always thought, Hey, what about in 2010 or something, aren't those kids gonna start being embarrased about that? ;D

They'll probably name their kids Jane and John  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 12:09 am

They'll probably name their kids Jane and John  ;D

Yeah, the weird/unusual/creative-named babies might "rebel" in that sense. ;) Of course there's still some everlasting normal names that'll always kinda be there, but as a whole, do you think weird baby names are just a fad, or will they be 1995-2020 or so?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 12:11 am

Yeah, the weird/unusual/creative-named babies might "rebel" in that sense. ;) Of course there's still some everlasting normal names that'll always kinda be there, but as a whole, do you think weird baby names are just a fad, or will they be 1995-2020 or so?

I think the whole McMycheela thing is a trend, but there's always been weird names.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 2:10 am

Whatever became of Jennifer Warnes?

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/19/06 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, I went to school with a lot of Jennifers.

Someone here once posted a link to a website that could generate graphs showing the popularity of names in the United States since the 1890s. I looked up Jennifer, and I seem to recall it peaking big-time in the '70s and '80s (which makes sense to me). It's declined in popularity since then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 3:26 pm

Jennifer Capriati

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/19/06 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, I went to school with a lot of Jennifers.

Someone here once posted a link to a website that could generate graphs showing the popularity of names in the United States since the 1890s. I looked up Jennifer, and I seem to recall it peaking big-time in the '70s and '80s (which makes sense to me). It's declined in popularity since then.

The reason for that is because in the past 10 years people would rather name their daughters Vomita.  :P

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/21/06 at 12:59 pm

;D Just noticed that

Check for new replies or respond here...