inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Prevue" Channel (Remember It?)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/19/06 at 3:19 am

Wow does that channel bring back tons of memories for me of the 90's.  I remember whenever I was bored and there was nothing on TV, I would turn it to the Prevue Channel to see what was on and just to look at the Ads for Movies coming on PPV and whatever.  I'm sure everyone here remembers this channel, everyone had it.  Unfortunately they changed the name of the channel to the "TV Guide" Channel around 1999.  Anyway, some guy on YouTube has uploaded a ton of clips from when he actually recorded the channel on a regular day, it's fascinating, especially if you grew up with the channel getting to see it once again, it brings back such great memories.  Here are some clips of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ejcUshDJ4&NR (December 17th, 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IC78IvpiSc (November 14th, 1997)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8Ti9rmoRU (May 28th, 1993)

Subject: Re: The "Prevue Guide" Channel (Remember It?)

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/19/06 at 3:25 am

oh yeah brings back memories.

Subject: Re: The "Prevue" Channel (Remember It?)

Written By: woops on 07/19/06 at 3:29 am

Now "TV Guide Channel" is unwatchable  since it's just E! rejects (ie John Hanson, Joan Rivers)  :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/06 at 4:11 am

Cool clips. What's even stranger: I have about two minutes on a tape, and it's from June 24th, 1993, so it was a trip to see someone else who taped it so close. ;)

I never watched it that much, but it's amazing that the 1997 graphics looked exactly the same. Usually stuff like that changes every year or two (then again, 2002 graphics don't look that different than '06 ones).

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/19/06 at 4:15 am

Cool clips. What's even stranger: I have about two minutes on a tape, and it's from June 24th, 1993, so it was a trip to see someone else who taped it so close. ;)

I never watched it that much, but it's amazing that the 1997 graphics looked exactly the same. Usually stuff like that changes every year or two (then again, 2002 graphics don't look that different than '06 ones).

Yep, those graphics stayed the same all the way until December 1999 when the "TV Guide" Channel switched the graphics from Blue to Yellow and made it more "modern" looking.  When the "TV Guide" Channel debuted in Early 1999, they kept the same exact graphics that the "Prevue" channel had and then switched to the Yellow in December that year.  I guess it took them a while to create their own graphics, them bums  :D

Written By: CosmoKramer on 07/20/06 at 8:16 am

THIS was the channel of the '90s!  Everyone says how MTV and Nickelodeon are the channels of the '90s, but my vote would go to the Prevue channel.  Everyone in the '90s was watching this channel and watching it often. Screw TV guides, this channel is where the action was at!.  It was just one of those channels that had that "feel good" vibe to it, whenever you watched it, you just felt happy....or maybe that was just the kid in me (I was born in '85, so I spent alot of my childhood watching the channel)

It depresses me today seeing the TV Guide channel and how lame it is.  The Prevue channel just stuck to the basics and at the top of the screen would preview a bunch of things, such as Movies coming to PPV, HBO or Cable TV, as well as shows and advertisements.  It was total '90s!.    Also, I loved the musical jingles they had on the channel, similar to what you would hear on the Weather channel, but much better, like Jazzy/Pop/Techno beats that made you feel good  :)

sure it sounds corny that we miss this channel so much, afterall it was just a channel to see what was on TV and whatever, but it just had that special '90s feeling to it and you were just sucked into it and wanted to keep watching the channel to see what movies were coming on and stuff

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/20/06 at 11:39 am

I also remember the preve channel and it was good and is cool I remember Prevue channel did theose WWE (was wwf back then) previews for WWF pay per views called free for all and is a countdown show for the wwf pay per view shows and and now prevue is not tv guide channel

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/20/06 at 11:42 am

I also remember the preve channel and it was good and is cool I remember Prevue channel did theose WWE (was wwf back then) previews for WWF pay per views called free for all and is a countdown show for the wwf pay per view shows and and now prevue is not tv guide channel

You mean "Now", not "Not"  8)

But yeah, I remember back in 1995 and 1996 seeing Ads on the Prevue Channel for "WWF In Your House" Pay-Per-Views

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/20/06 at 12:09 pm

Yep, those graphics stayed the same all the way until December 1999 when the "TV Guide" Channel switched the graphics from Blue to Yellow and made it more "modern" looking.  When the "TV Guide" Channel debuted in Early 1999, they kept the same exact graphics that the "Prevue" channel had and then switched to the Yellow in December that year.  I guess it took them a while to create their own graphics, them bums  :D

The Prevue Channel became the T.V guide channel on Feburary 1st, 1999 to be excact(believe it or not I still remember the day it switched :D) But Yeah, I remember the Prevue Channel quite well. Alot cooler than the T.V guide channel for sure.

Written By: nally on 07/22/06 at 11:36 pm

I didn't have cable in the 90's, but I do remember going over to friends' houses and watching it there. I always enjoyed the "Prevue" channel because it listed all the programs for each channel in the next few half-hour time slots. I found that interesting. Of course, I seldom paid attention to the top half of it.

When did the "TV Guide Channel" come about? ???

Written By: Derek06 on 07/23/06 at 4:38 pm

Feburary 1999

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Guide_Channel

Wiki has the answers to EVERYTHING!

Check for new replies or respond here...