inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "What Is Love" - Haddaway (1993)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/20/06 at 2:57 am

One of the catchiest Dance Hits ever.  I still remember when this song first came out and I was amazed by the catchy beat, I found myself watching MTV all day looking for the video just to hear the song and then it got heavy radio airplay and I just loved it.

In the US, it peaked at #11 on Billboard's Hot 100 Chart on October 30th, 1993 and was a pretty big dance sensation at the time.  I remember all the kids in school singing it, but mostly I remember them poking fun at Haddaway in the Music Video and how he looked like we "High" or "on Crack"  ;D  (It does look that way)

Here's the Music Video of it from youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ypI5WmyJ7Y

Obviously it's gotten more popular since 1993 with it being the "SNL" Song in the Roxbury skits.  But I count this one as one of my favorite dance hits of all time

What do you guys think of the song?

Subject: Re: "What Is Love" - Haddaway (1993)

Written By: Dukefan on 07/21/06 at 5:17 pm

Saturday Night Live was what introduced me to the song.  I don't remember hearing it prior to it's use on the show. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/21/06 at 8:02 pm

I remember hearing it when it first came out.  I thought it sounded similar to Snap's "Rhythm Is A Dancer".  I liked it enough, but I prefer Haddaway's "Life" - The Mission Control Mix on the U.S. 12" single. :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/06 at 5:39 pm

I loved Haddaway back in the day.  I still have the CD single for "Fly Away"

"What is Love" was my favourite, but I also liked "Life", "Rock My Heart" and "Fly Away"

Written By: nally on 02/26/07 at 1:15 pm

It's a great dance song.

Written By: tv on 02/27/07 at 1:03 pm

Didn;t the NBA on NBC use the background music too Hadaway's What Is Love" during the Sunday's Pre-Game shows in which they used(the background music) when they were running highlights of the previous Saturday Nights games back in 1993?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/27/07 at 1:39 pm

We used to warm up to it in one of my dance classes, so I heard it about a million times, and got really sick of it at the time.  It really is a great song though.

Written By: robby76 on 03/02/07 at 11:18 am

Oh no, I really hated Haddaway. But I must admit to buying Rock My Heart on cassette single at the time.  :)

Written By: Gis on 03/03/07 at 6:58 am

I loved the song when it came out, surprising as I definatly wasn't into that type of music at the time.

Written By: zcrito on 03/04/07 at 3:37 pm

Good song, even though I always laugh a little each time I hear it.

What is love?
Baby don't hurt me,
don't hurt me
no more

And these people just added to the laughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp2Ist_uhkE

Written By: Derek on 03/04/07 at 9:20 pm

I used to DJ when I was a teenager, starting from age 14.  I was never fond of the song, but from about October '93-March '94, just about every request was "What Is Love".  I was DJ'ing a sweet 16 in March on one Saturday, and this girl requested "What Is Love".  I was like "Don't you people know any other songs"?  Personally, I liked Ace of Base better, but that's just me.

Written By: mr crowly on 03/09/07 at 6:29 am

I loved Haddaway back in the day.  I still have the CD single for "Fly Away"

"What is Love" was my favourite, but I also liked "Life", "Rock My Heart" and "Fly Away"

whistledog  iam about to be youre god lol enjoy  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeSqSpSxhYI

those song take me back to my  primary school days what is love epechaly  its the feel of them

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/10/07 at 5:49 pm

OMG..I'm watching night at the roxbury right now ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/07 at 5:49 pm

OMG..I'm watching night at the roxbury right now ;D

I freakin' love that movie! ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/10/07 at 5:54 pm

I freakin' love that movie! ;D

Hi Quirk!
Would you believe that this my first time seeing it?! I only know about them because of SNL and seeing clips of them so much.

Check for new replies or respond here...