inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the 90s Liberal, Conservative, or Centrist?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/20/06 at 8:36 pm

I'd say Centrist, leaning on liberal.

Subject: Re: Were the 90s Liberal, Conservative, or Centrist?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/20/06 at 8:48 pm

There defidently more liberal than the '80s, but not nearly as liberal as alot of people think it is. Despite the percived liberalism of the '90s there were many conservative undertones. First off, the '90s were a huge decade for censorship(video games, t.v., etc.) and the uproar over violence in video games and televison was so large it led to the creation of both a video game rating board and a rating system for t.v. within just a few years of each other(in the '80s it was more about censorship in music than anything else).And, the republican's remained in control of the congress for most of the decade. And because of this the majority of the decade turned into a witch hunt against Bill Clinton.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/21/06 at 6:37 am

There defidently more liberal than the '80s, but not nearly as liberal as alot of people think it is. Despite the percived liberalism of the '90s there were many conservative undertones. First off, the '90s were a huge decade for censorship(video games, t.v., etc.) and the uproar over violence in video games and televison was so large it led to the creation of both a video game rating board and a rating system for t.v. within just a few years of each other(in the '80s it was more about censorship in music than anything else).And, the republican's remained in control of the congress for most of the decade. And because of this the majority of the decade turned into a witch hunt against Bill Clinton.

The '90s were more liberal than the '80s, as was said, but there was rampant political division in them that blew up in the '00s (but like many incumbent problems existent in the '90s, people ignored this.) The legislatures were basically Republican-controlled, for example, and though the Christian Right made nowhere near as big gains percentage wise as it did in the '70s and '80s (the '80s were the decade of the rise of the Christian Right and big business, and their alliance), it was still growing more than it is now, where it's fairly stable in terms of growth rates.

The '90s were a centrist decade that put sort of a "post-conservative uprising" friendly bumper sticker on liberalism. The policies of Clinton were moderate and fairly friendly to the poor, middle-class, and upper middle-class. He was no conservative, but he was inarguably not a true liberal in the same sense as like, FDR.  The '00s are conservative, as were the '80s. However, the '00s are not as uniformly conservative as the '80s. There was one election in the '80s where only like, Massachusetts voted Democratic, and Reagan converted an extraordinary number of people to hereditary Republicanism, more than Bush. The '00s are irrevocably polarized regionally between the South and rural Midwest/Intermountain West and the Northeast, urbanized Midwest, and West Coast.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:14 pm

I really don't know that much about the American political scene in the 90s (other than Clinton and the Democrats were in power), but I would think it would be a less 'conservative' period than the 80s and 00s from an economic standpoint. But on looking back it actually seemed more socially progressive than the 00s, while consolidating the advancements which happened in the 80s. In Aus, there's a trend where if one party wins the Federal election, the other party dominates on a state level. Is that the case over in the States as well?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/21/06 at 5:11 pm

It was like a tug of war between the two. Liberalism mainly because Clinton was in office for 8 years out of 10 and it was a time where a lot of Republicans came out on top, too. Remember when George W. Bush was just governer of Texas? John McCain was a senator from Arizona? and Newt Gingrich was House Speaker? He started the Republican Revolution and was named Time magazines' "Man of the Year." I remember him being big in 1995.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/06 at 8:21 pm

The '90s were more liberal than the '80s, as was said, but there was rampant political division in them that blew up in the '00s (but like many incumbent problems existent in the '90s, people ignored this.) The legislatures were basically Republican-controlled, for example, and though the Christian Right made nowhere near as big gains percentage wise as it did in the '70s and '80s (the '80s were the decade of the rise of the Christian Right and big business, and their alliance), it was still growing more than it is now, where it's fairly stable in terms of growth rates.

The '90s were a centrist decade that put sort of a "post-conservative uprising" friendly bumper sticker on liberalism. The policies of Clinton were moderate and fairly friendly to the poor, middle-class, and upper middle-class. He was no conservative, but he was inarguably not a true liberal in the same sense as like, FDR.  The '00s are conservative, as were the '80s. However, the '00s are not as uniformly conservative as the '80s. There was one election in the '80s where only like, Massachusetts voted Democratic, and Reagan converted an extraordinary number of people to hereditary Republicanism, more than Bush. The '00s are irrevocably polarized regionally between the South and rural Midwest/Intermountain West and the Northeast, urbanized Midwest, and West Coast.

I agree. While I would consider the '00s as a decade to be conservative overall, I agree that there not nearly as uniformally so as the '80s. Reagan had a way of reaching out to the elecotorate that Bush simply does not. The election you were talking about I think was the 1984 presidential election between Reagan and Walter Mondale. Reagan won 49 of the 50 states(Mondale won his home state, Minnesota,) this was because of the rise of the Reagan Democrats. People who were by all rights democrats but still voted for Regan in the election. Regan and his administration had a way of telling people excactly what they wanted to hear, and it worked. Despite leaving office in the shadow of the Iran-Contra scandal Reagan still had an approval rating above 60%, because he was able to convince people he had nothing to do with it(Bush would never be able to pull that off) That's not to say of course that there wasn't any opposition to Reagan's administration(there was plenty).

All three presidential elections in the '80s were won by a republican with a huge margin of victory. Whereas the two elections in this decade thus far have been won by a republican, but were among the closest ever. Of course this probably has more to do with the uniformal hatred of Bush and the government as a whole than anything else.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/21/06 at 11:45 pm

Kinda hard to say. Overall I'd say more liberal (although we had a conservative government through-out the 90s).

Written By: P. on 08/01/06 at 6:01 pm

I am a self-admitted progressive (aka LIBERAL) and  in November 1994 I remember wishing I was just 4 months older so I could have been old enough to vote for the democratic reps that were running. It was a sad day when Newt's "Contract ON America" started. I was a senior in high school, people my age and just a bit older were starting to come out of the closet so-to-speak with their progressive views fueled by the election of Clinton in 1992 (when I was a sophomore in HS) after  twelve years of Reagan-Bush quagmire. I still personally think we give Ronnie WAY too much credit for the fall of the Berlin Wall, Communism, etc..those were doomed to fail. Anyway. here comes Nov. 94 and BOOM..right back to 80s religious conservatism. Seemed like the kids just a few years younger than me acted like they had died and gone to heaven..people born 1979-81 giveortake are MUCH more conservative it seems than generation X. Cool thing was..is that Newt's ideas failed miserably, a conservative nuthatch blew up a building in Oklahoma City a month before I graduated from hs..proving that necons can be just as much if not more crazy than the "leftist radicals" of the 60s..So what happened? With the exception of the dawn of hideous teen driven pop music, the mid-late 90s were a swell time..so swell that republicans had to resort to a false impeachment trial because of a personal sexual act. So what were the nineties, politically? ALL THREE. If we only knew back around 1996 what the 00's had in store.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/01/06 at 8:46 pm

I am a self-admitted progressive (aka LIBERAL) and  in November 1994 I remember wishing I was just 4 months older so I could have been old enough to vote for the democratic reps that were running. It was a sad day when Newt's "Contract ON America" started. I was a senior in high school, people my age and just a bit older were starting to come out of the closet so-to-speak with their progressive views fueled by the election of Clinton in 1992 (when I was a sophomore in HS) after  twelve years of Reagan-Bush quagmire. I still personally think we give Ronnie WAY too much credit for the fall of the Berlin Wall, Communism, etc..those were doomed to fail. Anyway. here comes Nov. 94 and BOOM..right back to 80s religious conservatism. Seemed like the kids just a few years younger than me acted like they had died and gone to heaven..people born 1979-81 giveortake are MUCH more conservative it seems than generation X. Cool thing was..is that Newt's ideas failed miserably, a conservative nuthatch blew up a building in Oklahoma City a month before I graduated from hs..proving that necons can be just as much if not more crazy than the "leftist radicals" of the 60s..So what happened? With the exception of the dawn of hideous teen driven pop music, the mid-late 90s were a swell time..so swell that republicans had to resort to a false impeachment trial because of a personal sexual act. So what were the nineties, politically? ALL THREE. If we only knew back around 1996 what the 00's had in store.

Oh, the hideous teen-driven pop music was around beforehand. It just reared its ugly head due to demographic changes caused by the echo boom putting people my age at the forefront of the consumers.

Check for new replies or respond here...