inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were 'Squishees' More A 90s Thing?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:41 pm

Were squishees (as in squishees on the Simpsons), or frozen refreshments (they used to have them at service stations.etc in the 90s, I forget what they were called, but there were definitely a lot more of them) far more commonplace in the 90s? It seems to be the case.

lol, I know it's a very 'Donnie Darko' post  ;)

Subject: Re: Were 'Squishees' More A 90s Thing?

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/21/06 at 1:44 pm

My dad owned a convenience store from 1989 to 2003. He used to sell Slush Puppies. I'd always get one and they were great. Around 1995 when I was about 5, I dropped a cherry Slush Puppy on the floor there. He was really really mad at me. But the machine broke around 1996 or 1997 and he never got it fixed. :\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/21/06 at 1:47 pm

My dad owned a convenience store from 1989 to 2003. He used to sell Slush Puppies. I'd always get one and they were great. Around 1995 when I was about 5, I dropped a cherry Slush Puppy on the floor there. He was really really mad at me. But the machine broke around 1996 or 1997 and he never got it fixed. :\'(

Is it just me, or does it seem to you there are fewer and fewer of those machines around the place? Maybe then are getting out of fashion, or there are appliances to make your own at home (which I have not yet come across). I dunno, maybe it's just the case over here.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/21/06 at 1:51 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem to you there are fewer and fewer of those machines around the place? Maybe then are getting out of fashion, or there are appliances to make your own at home (which I have not yet come across). I dunno, maybe it's just the case over here.

They're hard to find around here too. The only place I know of where you can get a Slush Puppy is at the Four Seasons Mall. If it's true about Slushies being '90s, that's probably the only '90s thing at Four Seasons. ;D

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/03/06 at 2:45 pm

Slush Puppies a 90s thing??? I remember them more as a kid in the mid 80s..Harborlight Mall in Weymouth MA was a good place for them if you were twelve and thirsty on a scorching summer day. I don't see them now, but "Icee" seems just as popular and almost the same thing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/03/06 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, it was easier to get them back in the '90s, I think.

Written By: audkal on 08/03/06 at 5:40 pm

I still have the same amount of access to Icee's as I did in the 90s....I just don't crave them like I used to.  I used to be obsessed with them back then, now though, I don't think I've had one in over 2 years.  Around here, you can still get them at Meijer's and K-Mart.  And most, if not all of the Burger King's have them.

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/03/06 at 6:04 pm

Not for me. I apparently live in the slurpee capital of the world.

I'm not joking either...Winnipeg consumes more of those things annually than anywhere else. It even says so in the intro to Wikipedia's article on slurpees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurpee.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/03/06 at 7:09 pm

Were squishees (as in squishees on the Simpsons), or frozen refreshments (they used to have them at service stations.etc in the 90s, I forget what they were called, but there were definitely a lot more of them) far more commonplace in the 90s? It seems to be the case.

I haven't thought much about it, but yea it does seem these frozen/ice drinks aren't as common place as they were in the 80s and 90s.

--
Dave.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/06 at 9:21 am

Squishees are just a made up name, lol - it's a takeoff on slurpy, which most 7-11s have. I got one just the other day, so they're definitely still around, but I agree "Icees" are sorta a early '90s thing (in terms of being ubiquitously everywhere I mean).

Check for new replies or respond here...