inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: is there a place online to find old commercials?

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/06 at 10:37 am

I was watching an old VHS tape and saw some great commercials and it got me wondering is there a place online where someone can view old commercials? 

Also is there like an IMDB like site for ads so you can find out who directed, narrated or appeared in a specific ad?

Thanks

Subject: Re: is there a place online to find old commercials?

Written By: Dave79 on 07/23/06 at 11:17 am

I was watching an old VHS tape and saw some great commercials and it got me wondering is there a place online where someone can view old commercials? 

Also is there like an IMDB like site for ads so you can find out who directed, narrated or appeared in a specific ad?

Thanks

http://www.retrojunk.com , will let you view some old commericals im not all sure what is all there but from what ive saw so far its pretty cool.  I don't think it will tell you about who directed and narrated those though.
--
Dave

Written By: Derek06 on 07/23/06 at 5:04 pm

www.youtube.com

the COOLEST.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/06 at 6:12 pm

OMG THAT SITE IS GREAT THANKS!!!!!!

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 6:20 pm

Yeah, YouTube does host an extensive collection....

When I found the Cyndi Lauper - MTV ad, I freaked...

Maybe I'm missing something but can one save the clips on YouTube to their hard drive..?  I really should install StreamboxRipper again, if I can find it...

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/23/06 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, YouTube does host an extensive collection....

When I found the Cyndi Lauper - MTV ad, I freaked...

Maybe I'm missing something but can one save the clips on YouTube to their hard drive..?  I really should install StreamboxRipper again, if I can find it...

keepvid.com. Then download the Riva FLV Encoder to encode the FLV file into an mpeg file.

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 6:37 pm

keepvid.com. Then download the Riva FLV Encoder to encode the FLV file into an mpeg file.

WoooHooo...!

Thanky..!

"May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you've died..."

:)

Written By: Rickie Arms on 05/29/13 at 11:11 pm

I have a few hundred on youtube and upload 5-10 per day

www.youtube.com/misterselfhelp

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/31/13 at 10:03 pm

(neat! I likey!)

This is probably newer than most of your work, but you wouldn't happen to remember a commercial or a commercial blooper in which a cow steps on a chicken, would you? That one's been driving us nuts for years.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/13 at 6:47 am

What a neat collection.

Written By: nally on 06/03/13 at 4:14 pm

Thanks

I know this post is almost 7 years old now, but I've often been curious about this sorta thing too. I know that classic ads from just about any time period can be viewed on Youtube...but for info on the personnel, I wouldn't know where to go. However, I did click on the Retrojunk link, where I have already found some old tv ads.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/13 at 6:47 am

How many years do you want to go back to find these vintage commercials?  ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/05/13 at 6:54 am

To me vintage commercials are the last frontier in terms of discovering what exactly made them, since corporations mainly talked with the ad agencies, and most film was wiped (recycled) until probably the digital era arrived. That said, in addition to standard ads/blocks, some YT clips, especially game shows, talk shows, made for TV movies, and syndicated programming have their original commercial breaks intact, truly giving a period feel. I also know that many voice actors who've done work in animation have also provided the voicework for many of these commercials, and that may be a good place to check.

In terms of availability, the '80s and '90s have the most available, followed by the '70s, then the '00s, with a fair number from the '50s and '60s still available. Archive.org has some in their moving images section that aren't posted elsewhere. There are even some commercials as fair back as the '30s and '40s for use at movie theaters.

Check for new replies or respond here...