inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your 90s/childhood hangout, does it still exist?

Written By: audkal on 07/27/06 at 11:43 am

In the mid 90s I used to go with my family to a place called Skate World, it was so much fun.  It was obviously named that because it was a roller skating rink, but they also had arcades and you could buy hot pretzels and stuff.  It was really kid-friendly.  I think it had been there since the 60s.

In '98 it was sold to Streeters, which is a bar/night club/strip joint.  Which saddened me.  I said Skate World was kid-friendly, you can't go to Streeter's unless you're 18, not that I even want to go.  They took away a part of my childhood!

How 'bout you guys?

Subject: Re: Your 90s/childhood hangout, does it still exist?

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/27/06 at 12:41 pm

Throughout the '90s, I went with my family to the Carolina Circle Mall. It was awesome. It had a carousel, Montgomery Ward, Camelot Music, Piccadilly Cafeteria, and much more. Of course, it closed in 2002 and was torn down last year. Also, I just discovered that my favorite Pizza Hut that I went to in the '90s closed.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/27/06 at 2:25 pm

There was a awesome pizza place with game room that I went to all the time when I was a kid. It had a huge game room with 10 or so arcade machine's pool tables and alot of other cool stuff. It shut down in 1997 and hasn't opened back up since :(

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/27/06 at 2:33 pm

Does it seem like only the good places are the ones that close?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/06 at 4:47 pm

It certaintly does feel like most of what was good has passed on. The thing is, things that were built in the '60s and '70s still remained in the '80s and '90s and these places had a special place in our heart just as much as they did for a kid growing up in the '60s and '70s. A lot of places I went to as a child have since been demolished or remodeled into something else.

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/06 at 4:56 pm

In the 90s, I hung out at an arcade called 501 Video that was in the local shopping mall.  They eventually got rid of it, so they could build stores through it, and expand the shopping mall

I miss the good ol' days  :\'(

Written By: Dukefan on 07/27/06 at 8:04 pm

I just discovered that my favorite Pizza Hut that I went to in the '90s closed.

My local Pizza Hut was recently closed and torn down as well.  I'm also in North Carolina (Asheville area), it seems several locations across the state were given the axe.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/27/06 at 9:02 pm

Throughout the '90s, I went with my family to the Carolina Circle Mall. It was awesome. It had a carousel, Montgomery Ward, Camelot Music, Piccadilly Cafeteria, and much more. Of course, it closed in 2002 and was torn down last year. Also, I just discovered that my favorite Pizza Hut that I went to in the '90s closed.

Do you ever think it's sad those type of stores close, (even if you don't really need to go there anymore) just because it's like a part of your past? One of the things I most loved from my childhood were the Camelots and Sam Goody music stores in the mall to buy cassettes! When I was 4-10 or so I'd go with my mom there to get '80s music. After that I went myself usually, but it was mostly the same setup until 1998ish when tapes started to noticeably die out.

Montgomery Ward was cool too. The "food court" places are still around, but not as much. Out here at least, they had alot of Sbarro's, which I really liked. I don't see as many Cinnabon's either.

It's not mall-related, but I also miss Mom and Pop video rental stores from age 9-12. I actually don't know if alot of the places from my childhood still exist (I didn't move to San Jose until I was 14 and a half, so that's either from the North Bay Area or Sacramento). In a way, I'd rather not know. I'd be sad if I discoverred they were, in fact, gone.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/27/06 at 10:53 pm

Do you ever think it's sad those type of stores close, (even if you don't really need to go there anymore) just because it's like a part of your past? One of the things I most loved from my childhood were the Camelots and Sam Goody music stores in the mall to buy cassettes! When I was 4-10 or so I'd go with my mom there to get '80s music. After that I went myself usually, but it was mostly the same setup until 1998ish when tapes started to noticeably die out.

Montgomery Ward was cool too. The "food court" places are still around, but not as much. Out here at least, they had alot of Sbarro's, which I really liked. I don't see as many Cinnabon's either.

It's not mall-related, but I also miss Mom and Pop video rental stores from age 9-12. I actually don't know if alot of the places from my childhood still exist (I didn't move to San Jose until I was 14 and a half, so that's either from the North Bay Area or Sacramento). In a way, I'd rather not know. I'd be sad if I discoverred they were, in fact, gone.

Sometimes it can be rather sad :(. I remember when our local Wal-Mart upgraded to a supercenter and moved across town in 1996. I had spent alot of time in the older Wal-Mart in the early/mid '90s and it was really sad to see it go.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/27/06 at 11:05 pm

Sometimes it can be rather sad :(. I remember when our local Wal-Mart upgraded to a supercenter and moved across town in 1996. I had spent alot of time in the older Wal-Mart in the early/mid '90s and it was really sad to see it go.

Yeah, I remember those supercenters being a huge thing around '94, too.

Kmarts are also on the way out. One of them in San Jose was made into a Supercenter and that one closed two years ago. Even though they're inferior to Wal Mart and Target (and their fashion has been the butt of jokes forever ;D ), that's still sad for the same reason.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/27/06 at 11:08 pm

Kmarts are also on the way out. One of them in San Jose was made into a Supercenter and that one closed two years ago. Even though they're inferior to Wal Mart and Target (and their fashion has been the butt of jokes forever ;D ), that's still sad for the same reason.

Yeah, I have similar feelings about a K-Mart that closed down in 2000 or so. That was actually one of the first stores I could remember going in. I was really saddening to see it go :(

Written By: audkal on 07/27/06 at 11:59 pm

Oh yeah, also, our KB Toys just closed earlier this year.  That was where I bought my Furby, Toy Story toys, and Primal Rage figures.  And my brothers bought their Super Soakers there and now it is GONE.  :\'(

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/28/06 at 12:01 am

Now that Carolina Circle Mall is gone, I must now shop at Four Seasons Mall. Sure, it opened in 1975 which was one year before Carolina Circle did. But, Four Seasons has got to be the most modern, most trendy, most hip, and most '00s mall in America. That mall just gives me the creeps. Definately nowhere near a '90s mall.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/28/06 at 8:45 am

Myself and some friends would go to Video 2000 arcade during about 1984 or so until around `93 when it closed. We had a great time there, now its part of a law office.. sad indeed. There is a skate rink here thats still open, It had closed in '96 and remained closed until last year.. but now it has changed owners and is basically for adults now more then kids/teens.  I read what everyone else has said and it does look like everything has closed or has moved on, and its to sad to.

--
Dave

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 1:00 pm

We had a K-Mart in Antioch (Ca) that was probably built in the late '60s and my mother used to frequent it before they built Target or Wal-Mart. We didn't have any Wal-Marts near us until they built one in 1992 in Pittsburg. What I liked about that K-Mart was that they had a restaurant in the middle of the store. It was just a little diner, but my mom and I would eat in it if we were shopping there around lunchtime. I remember them having some great grilled cheeses. That K-Mart was closed down in the late '90s and then crushed around 2001 and now a Lowes hardware stands there.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/28/06 at 1:04 pm

We had a K-Mart in Antioch (Ca) that was probably built in the late '60s and my mother used to frequent it before they built Target or Wal-Mart. We didn't have any Wal-Marts near us until they built one in 1992 in Pittsburg. What I liked about that K-Mart was that they had a restaurant in the middle of the store. It was just a little diner, but my mom and I would eat in it if we were shopping there around lunchtime. I remember them having some great grilled cheeses. That K-Mart was closed down in the late '90s and then crushed around 2001 and now a Lowes hardware stands there.

We used to have a K-Mart near Carolina Circle Mall. It opened in 1976 (Same Year as Carolina Circle). I remember the whole store smelled like popcorn and rubber toys. They also had these huge air vents. Sadly, it closed in 2002 (Same Year as Carolina Circle).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/28/06 at 4:24 pm

We used to have a K-Mart near Carolina Circle Mall. It opened in 1976 (Same Year as Carolina Circle). I remember the whole store smelled like popcorn and rubber toys. They also had these huge air vents. Sadly, it closed in 2002 (Same Year as Carolina Circle).

Yeah, to my recollection K-Mart did always smell like popcorn. I always liked it better than Wal-Mart. It's really sad to see so many closing down now.

Written By: 5*19*1886 on 07/28/06 at 8:10 pm

Man, I hate Wal-Mart. K-Mart was always the coolest and now it's basically being franchised by those power hungry suits at WM >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: 5*19*2086 on 07/28/06 at 8:27 pm

Man, I hate Wal-Mart. K-Mart was always the coolest and now it's basically being franchised by those power hungry suits at WM >:( >:( >:( >:(

I agree. Wal-Mart sucks big time >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/28/06 at 8:28 pm

Hmmmmm, patterns are fun.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/28/06 at 8:32 pm

But the question is will my next name be 5*19*1786 or 5*19*2186?

Does it matter?  It's spam.  Maybe you can tell Chucky you want him to die again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 1:26 am

Yeah, I hate when they're demolished too (one in SJ met the same fate in '02 - the site is still an open field now). :(

I usually remember those restaurants (either a McDonalds, Pizza Hut or something similar) being in one corner, usually near the entrance. I didn't know there was one right in the center, but that's pretty cool. In fact, other than the mall "atmosphere", I almost think KMarts and some of the more old-school styled Wal Marts are more fun than going to the mall. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/30/06 at 1:31 am

The mall I hung out at a lot is gone, the park is still there and pretty much the same. The KB Toys which I shopped at a lot is gone with the mall. The K Mart we went to is still there, it's an old smaller probably 60s? built one.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 1:37 am

Oh yeah, also, our KB Toys just closed earlier this year.  That was where I bought my Furby, Toy Story toys, and Primal Rage figures.  And my brothers bought their Super Soakers there and now it is GONE.  :\'(

The mall I hung out at a lot is gone, the park is still there and pretty much the same. The KB Toys which I shopped at a lot is gone with the mall. The K Mart we went to is still there, it's an old smaller probably 60s? built one.

Forgot about KB, but that's another mall fave. As a kid, that's where alot of my NES games came from! I also always liked checking out some of the various toys (i.e. the pulltoys that had a theme and about 12 places to pull, where it'd say "The cow says" or something).

Even when I hit my "I want nothing to do with kid stuff" phase (age 9-14 or so), I still loved going in there just to look around.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/30/06 at 1:43 am

Forgot about KB, but that's another mall fave. As a kid, that's where alot of my NES games came from! I also always liked checking out some of the various toys (i.e. the pulltoys that had a theme and about 12 places to pull, where it'd say "The cow says" or something).

Even when I hit my "I want nothing to do with kid stuff" phase (age 9-14 or so), I still loved going in there just to look around.

I bought my Talkboy there, lol. I bought a number of those old handheld arcade games (they're like old relics now) there. Genesis games too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/31/06 at 1:07 pm

Yeah, I hate when they're demolished too (one in SJ met the same fate in '02 - the site is still an open field now). :(

I usually remember those restaurants (either a McDonalds, Pizza Hut or something similar) being in one corner, usually near the entrance. I didn't know there was one right in the center, but that's pretty cool. In fact, other than the mall "atmosphere", I almost think KMarts and some of the more old-school styled Wal Marts are more fun than going to the mall. ;)

Yeah, the diner inside K-Mart was just a no-name diner, I don't think it was even a chain of any sort. I am missing more and more of those kinds of places. When they demolished that K-Mart, they also demolished our Caspers Hot Dog restaurant which we frequented over the summers. I remember the last time I was at that one is when we were painting our house in 1994 and we got everyone a bunch of hotdogs when we were on a break from painting. I miss those days  :(

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/31/06 at 1:52 pm

There's sort of this "semi-derelict shopping center" near this old family restaurant that my grandmother, my parents, and I hung out at alot when I was a kid, where I would basically always order grilled cheese. It's been in the area forever and my mom remembers going there as a kid, Pal's Cabin. The aforementioned shopping center has a "Super K-Mart" that opened in the late '90s, replacing an E.J. Korvette's (a local discount chain that went under.) There also used to be a Pathmark there that closed (for those unfamiliar, it's a mostly New Jersey chain of discount supermarkets.)

As for my '90s childhood hangouts...we went to the Willowbrook Mall alot, which is at the center of a mammoth shopping area about 20 minutes away from my house. I have VERY fond memories of the large Disney Store there, and getting stuff like custom t-shirts made at this custom t-shirt boutique. It was renovated in the early '90s to have a quite '90s appearance: skewed angles, marble, a ceiling with skylights and opened beam appearance, large court areas and floor murals and balconies, plants, a wishing well fountain...we also went to the nearby Toys "R" Us a fair amount. This independently owned toy store where my parents got nicer stuff from, like for birthdays and Hanukkah, just closed down because the owners retired. I remember for books, we used to go to the children's section of this one book store in a local strip mall that closed down and was replaced recently by a Radio Shack.

For movie theaters, we went to the Allwood Theater and the Bellevue Theater alot, two local older independent cinemas that are still around in the area. Both my childhood video stores closed down in the past couple of years...

Will continue...

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/31/06 at 2:28 pm

Here's two pictures of the inside of the Carolina Circle Mall that were taken in early 2005 months before demolition. The other one was taken when it was open. That mall just screams "90s Mall" doesn't it? No, I didn't take the pictures.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/Roadgeek/AboveDillards.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/Roadgeek/FirstFloorNearMontgomeryWard.jpg
Link to open main entrance picture: http://photos1.blogger.com/img/133/2105/1024/carolina%20circle.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/31/06 at 7:16 pm

Here's two pictures of the inside of the Carolina Circle Mall that were taken in early 2005 months before demolition. The other one was taken when it was open. That mall just screams "90s Mall" doesn't it? No, I didn't take the pictures.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/Roadgeek/AboveDillards.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/Roadgeek/FirstFloorNearMontgomeryWard.jpg
Link to open main entrance picture: http://photos1.blogger.com/img/133/2105/1024/carolina%20circle.jpg

Those colors reak early '90s. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/31/06 at 7:45 pm

http://www.simon.com/mall/images/malls/laguna_hills_revised.jpg

I got this when I searched for '90s malls. I definitely think this mall sort of reeks '90s as well...the huge amount of windows, tan and gray combinations, interior plants and airy courtyards, etc. It was renovated c. 1995. I think alot of malls in the '90s got rid of wood/glass railings and replaced them with sleek painted metal.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/31/06 at 8:03 pm

http://www.simon.com/mall/images/malls/laguna_hills_revised.jpg

I got this when I searched for '90s malls. I definitely think this mall sort of reeks '90s as well...the huge amount of windows, tan and gray combinations, interior plants and airy courtyards, etc. It was renovated c. 1995. I think alot of malls in the '90s got rid of wood/glass railings and replaced them with sleek painted metal.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever been to a mall like that. But is sure looks better than malls of today.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 12:48 am

Yeah, my local mall (built in 1970) and opened in 1971 (officially in 1972) has gone through so many changes since I first patroned it in about 1988 or 1989. The original mall was perhaps half the size it is now, and featured a gaudy, polyester bright blue and red facade with those really old, arches which scream late 70s/early 80s. I remember there being a video-arcade in the mall which I always wanted to go to as a kid, but never got the chance. My mum used to take us to the local library next to the shopping centre, of which I still visit regularly (being the bookworm I am). There is also a waterfall/fountain near there which was basically dry for about 10 years before they recently restored it.

Check for new replies or respond here...