inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: On this day 16 years ago...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/06 at 2:59 am

...On August 2nd 1990 Iraq invaded Kuwait, Which of course eventually led to the first Gulf War. Anybody remember it? At 3 I was a bit too young :-[

Subject: Re: On this day 16 years ago...

Written By: Davester on 08/02/06 at 4:08 am

I was aboard the U.S.S. Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) at Naples, Italy, working, when a message from the Captain was broadcast throughout the ship.  Something to the effect of, "Iraq has invaded Kuwait...", "...cancelling all liberty...", "...weigh anchor and expedite...", "...Red Sea via Suez Canal...", "...operations in support of..."

We had already been at sea for five months and were on our way out of the Mediterranean when this came up.  I was 20 y/o...

go ;)...

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 4:19 am

I was 15 and very scared. I will never forget the idiots in the lowriders cruising what passed for a strip in my town, their systems booming out the news instead of bad music. Why this is what sticks in my mind about the day it started I don't know but it seems poignant.
I can't believe we're having a Gulf War 2 Electric Boogaloo. War makes about as much sense to me as killing your neighbor to take his BBQ grill that is much fancier than yours, or someone coming to Kentucky and saying, "Right! From now on Kentucky is Bosnia, so all you hillbillies need to skedaddle."

Written By: karen on 08/02/06 at 5:16 am

Sixteen years ago my husband had just graduated from University.  He was in the process of buying his house and I think we were on holiday on the New Forest this week.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/02/06 at 1:15 pm

Yep, It was a hot topic in history class at around the first of the school year. I also remembering way to many special reports taking up my favorite programing.

--
Dave.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/02/06 at 1:44 pm

I was 13 on August 2, 1990 and remember actually watching the late news on the night before (which would have been Aug.1) and there was breaking news about Iraq conducting a maneuver in Kuwait but had no further details. Obviously the next day on Aug 2, it all came out what was going on. While I never though GHWB was a good president and only very minimally slightly better than his son, I actually somewhat supported this war (had I been 5-10 years older I don't know if I would have). Back when it all ended in early '91 I had no clue we would still be stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, though I figured the middle east would still be violent just as always. Funny quote..I have a quote I recorded on audio tape (we didn't get a vcr until I was 15 in mid 92) of GHWB stating during the start of the actual war in Jan. 1991 in reference to Saddam Hussein : "It's better to deal with this guy now, than five years from now". The absurdity of the statement when I hear it years later especially after what is going on NOW in Iraq..almost makes me laugh or cry, can't decide which.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/06 at 5:16 pm

I remember most of the pre invasion and post invasion moments. They were more vivid maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but I have lost most of those memories since then. I was 8 years old when it happened and I mainly remember praying for our troops as some of my teachers at school had brothers and sons in the armed services.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 5:23 pm

...On August 2nd 1990 Iraq invaded Kuwait, Which of course eventually led to the first Gulf War. Anybody remember it? At 3 I was a bit too young :-[

I was...hmm...5 months old?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/06 at 6:03 pm

I was...hmm...5 months old?

I dont remember the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, but I think I have a few vauge memories of the actual war(after the U.S invaded in early '91). Stuff like my parents talking about it, ect. But its really fuzzy.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/02/06 at 11:40 pm

I remember this, and later that year when I started 4th grade my teacher talked about this event to the class.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/03/06 at 1:44 am

I remember the Gulf War being talked about quite a bit in 3rd grade, and writing letters to the troops.

Written By: Steve on 09/18/06 at 6:00 am

I was getting ready to be deployed there.  I believe i was 20 years old.

Go C-Btry 3/8 FAR  

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/18/06 at 2:56 pm

I was 12 years old, in the 7th grade, and it really scared me.  I remember George Michael's "Praying for Time" came out at the same time, so that song always makes me think of it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/06 at 2:59 pm

The guy I was seeing at the time (who would later became my husband) was in the U.S. Navy, and the ship he was on had to go out to the Persian Gulf for 4 months.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/06 at 3:04 pm

I was in the midst of my first few weeks of starting 3rd grade.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/18/06 at 3:44 pm

A little late, but I remember the Gulf War well.  My mom, dad, sister and I would sit on the couch and watch it live on CNN.  That's the image that's stayed in my mind from the whole war -- watching the night vision screen and seeing these bright streaks go across.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/06 at 4:09 pm

"This is no time for gloating!"
He said, gloating.

::)

I remember it like it was yesterday.  The recession was on, I'd just moved out of Boston back to my folks place in NH, having lost my job and all.  I didn't have much to do but drink beer and watch CNN!
::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/06 at 4:30 pm

I didn't have much to do but drink beer and watch CNN! ::)

With a boyfriend deployed to the Gulf, you know I was glued to the CNN news channel!

Check for new replies or respond here...