inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pokemon

Written By: Jacob on 08/03/06 at 10:23 pm

does anyone remember the 90s pokemon craze

Subject: Re: Pokemon

Written By: audkal on 08/03/06 at 11:13 pm

I remember it and was in it.  I still have a binder with my Pokemon card collection....I never got Charizard but did get another rare card that was worth $40.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 11:54 pm

I remember it well. I was still young enough to get into the earliest part of the craze(1998/1999) but quickly grew out of it. Btw I have some cards too but none are really worth anything. At one point that Charizard card(first edition) was worth $240 :o

Written By: bj26 on 08/04/06 at 6:40 am

We spent $hundreds on a collection, then gave away a pack for a kids birthday present, and it contained a 1st edition Charzard!

Written By: audkal on 08/04/06 at 9:06 am

We spent $hundreds on a collection, then gave away a pack for a kids birthday present, and it contained a 1st edition Charzard!

When did you start kicking yourself?  LOL.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/04/06 at 10:03 am

What about the endless Pokemon movies?

Written By: bj26 on 08/04/06 at 1:21 pm

When did you start kicking yourself?  LOL.
It amazes me how rare and hard to find some of those cards were. 1st & 2nd edition Blastois also cost me a pretty penny!

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 7:51 am

Too old for it...although I DO know many people my age who were into them. I was a proud member of the Tazos/Pogs/Glo-caps generation.  ;) 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/06/06 at 6:49 pm

Too old for it...although I DO know many people my age who were into them. I was a proud member of the Tazos/Pogs/Glo-caps generation.  ;) 8)

Yeah, most people born in '86 probably would've considered too old for it, being 12 in 1998 when it started to take off. Us '87ers are sort of splt. Some thought they were 'too old' and some(like me ;D) bought into it at first. 1988ers are sort of the first group that was really into it.

Written By: audkal on 08/06/06 at 7:20 pm

I still have pogs from like '96 but I was never into them as much as I was Pokemon.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/06/06 at 8:28 pm

Yeah, most people born in '86 probably would've considered too old for it, being 12 in 1998 when it started to take off. Us '87ers are sort of splt. Some thought they were 'too old' and some(like me ;D) bought into it at first. 1988ers are sort of the first group that was 'really' into it.

Where would I fit in. My son was born in 1989, he was into Pokemon. He has since gotten out of it
but I haven't. I have all the games for Game Boy from Red and Blue to GBA games Fire Red and Leaf green.
I have a drawer full of Pokemon Cards, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh, and I could probably name all 385 Pokemon,
though I am more familiar with the original 151. I won't do anything on Saturday morning until after I
watch the Pokemon episode. For the record, I was born in 1962, so I ask is anyone too old?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/07/06 at 1:53 am

Where would I fit in. My son was born in 1989, he was into Pokemon. He has since gotten out of it
but I haven't. I have all the games for Game Boy from Red and Blue to GBA games Fire Red and Leaf green.
I have a drawer full of Pokemon Cards, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh, and I could probably name all 385 Pokemon,
though I am more familiar with the original 151. I won't do anything on Saturday morning until after I
watch the Pokemon episode. For the record, I was born in 1962, so I ask is anyone too old?

Of course not ;). I was just making a sweeping generalization about the average age of a pokemon fan. I still have some of my old Pokemon cards and some of my game boy games as well(I even play them from time to time ;D). Nobody's really too old to like anything I was only speaking in general :)

Written By: Satish on 08/07/06 at 11:16 am

Pokemon reached its peak in popularity in the late 90s and early 00s, probably during the years 1998 to 2001. My two little cousins were six and seven years old in 2000 and I remember they were really into Pokemon and Digimon.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/08/06 at 4:37 pm

After about 8 years of wrong cheat codes and constantly restarting the games, 8 years of
an exercise in futility, I finally caught a Mew in Pokemon Blue. One of the Pokemon that's
not supposed to be in any of the games for Game Boy or GBA. I finally found a code that
worked, now I will restart Fire Red and see if Mew is there also.

Written By: Zoso on 10/27/07 at 6:49 am

I still play the games. And I have held on to my card collection. The games are good fun. Keeps you entertained for hours.

Btw loki, you don't have to use codes to catch Mew in blue. There is a glitch. You've got to walk through the cave and battle the first trainer you see when you come out. But you have to press enter at the right time or something. I forget how it's done but if done correctly instead of battling the trainer you battle a wild Mew.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/27/07 at 8:53 am

I used to be obsessed with Pokemon. What's strange is that I got into them a little later than most kids. But then I was still into them a year or two after thier popularity had died down significantly. I didn't get thier appeal at first, but then I became a huge fan. I LOVED the Game Boy video games, but I was terrible at playing the card game. I joined this club at a mall where every Saturday, you'd go and play against a bunch of other kids, and you'd earn these cool little badges. I only got ONE.

I still have all my cards some where. I also loved the cartoon, and would watch it while eating Pokemon cereal and Pokemon Pop-Tarts.

Written By: audkal on 10/27/07 at 8:48 pm

I LOVED the Game Boy video games, but I was terrible at playing the card game. I joined this club at a mall where every Saturday, you'd go and play against a bunch of other kids, and you'd earn these cool little badges. I only got ONE.

Oh yeah, I remember when kids would have tournaments at Toys R Us--I never joined though because I had no idea how to play the actual game, lol.  I just liked collecting the cards. :)

Written By: wildcard on 10/27/07 at 9:42 pm

One of my brothers got the Red version and the other brother got blue so I got interested and got Yellow.  The same thing with Silver,Gold and me getting Crystal.  By then the Pokemon started getting strange to us and we lost intrest.  I still have the my Yellow, Chrystal, and the Silver versions. 

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 10/28/07 at 4:07 am

does anyone remember the 90s pokemon craze

OMG, yes!  ;D
Gotta catch 'em all!  (And boy did we!)

Of course I was an adult at the time it was 'big', but my (oldest) son LOVED it..he had so many of the cards, and the Poke-balls, the little figures, and a couple of the GameBoy games too..we catch a glimpse of the cartoon even now every so often, but even to him it seems so foreign anymore. Granted, he's much older now too, but he had a bunch of the movies and watched the old cartoons all the time 'back then'. But now they've changed a bunch of the characters around, and traded out the older, 'classic' Pokemon..

But anyway, in a complete answer to your question, I definitely remember the Pokemon craze!  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/30/07 at 11:50 am

One of my brothers got the Red version and the other brother got blue so I got interested and got Yellow.  The same thing with Silver,Gold and me getting Crystal.  By then the Pokemon started getting strange to us and we lost intrest.  I still have the my Yellow, Chrystal, and the Silver versions.   

Yeah, I got into Pokemon at the beginning, right after Red and Blue came out. I got Yellow when it came out as well. It was around the time that Silver and Gold came out that I started to lose interest. I didn't mind it when it was 150 Pokemon, but when it got up to 300 and beyond, that's just way to many

Written By: wildcard on 10/30/07 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, I got into Pokemon at the beginning, right after Red and Blue came out. I got Yellow when it came out as well. It was around the time that Silver and Gold came out that I started to lose interest. I didn't mind it when it was 150 Pokemon, but when it got up to 300 and beyond, that's just way to many

too many and the first pokemon were kind of based on something educational.  I've always liked Gengar.  I usually see him purple like and eggplant.  Eggplants are in the family Nightshade which is a move he learns.  I'm not sure if the pokemon today are based on educational things.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/07/07 at 4:50 pm

What about the endless Pokemon movies?

I own Pokemon The Movie 2000.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/09/07 at 2:59 pm

Oh man, Pokemon was practically my life.  I got all the games (not just the Gameboy ones, but the N64 ones too), I was an avid card card collector, and the anime was one of my favorite shows in the late 90s.  I really did catch them all, by the way.  I didn't get Mew though, but one of my friends got it at a Nintendo event and he traded it to me for a couple seconds so I could have all 151 in my Pokedex.  

Gold and Silver was awesome, by the way.  I still think its the best version of them all simply because of all the changes it made, while still keeping the old stuff, such as being able to fight all the Gym Leaders you fought in the original.  

I did grow out of Pokemon and, for awhile, I had a backlash against it.  Eventually though, I realized that the games really were good and I was just trying to act more "mature" because I thought I had too (the same thing happened with some other stuff too).  Now, I'm watching the old episodes they're showing on Cartoon Network and will eventually buy the DVDs of the old episodes, for nostalgia's sake.  I'm also a big fan of the new crop of Pokemon games, Diamond and Pearl.  Also, I am thankfully not the only one.  You'd be surprised how many older people stuck with Pokemon over the years (although some did what I did, backlashed against it for awhile).  They're just closet fans who never mention it except on the internet.  

Pokemon never really lost its popularity, no matter what anyone says.  Pokemon Diamond and Pearl has sold 12 million copies so far, making it the highest selling game of 2007.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/09/07 at 4:23 pm

I've actually owned a decent amount of the video games of them, I was 19(I think) when I decided to try it out.

Check for new replies or respond here...