inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Imagine...A Coma Patient Wakes Up...And Missed it All...

Written By: Banks on 08/09/06 at 10:33 pm

Okay...

Imagine that someone you know went into a coma  late in 1989. Through some kind of miracle, they wake up with all their faculties today.

They ask you what has happened in the world over the past 17 years. They want to know about the political events, the wars, the fashions, the music, the movies and TV in the 1990's especially.

How would you describe the 1990's to someone, who has absolutely NO idea in any possible way of what had occured during that decade?

Most people who didnt get to live in the 1990's have heard at least some of the music, have an idea about the fashions, have an idea about the news events and have probably seen or have an idea of the movies and TV shows that had been around back then. But this person you 'know' knows absolutely NOTHING about the 1990's.

So, what would you tell this person about the events of the 1990's and why?

What songs would you play for them and why?

What TV shows would you show them and why?

What movies would you show them and why?

How would you allow them to see the fashions?

In what way would you allow them to see the grunge era?

How would you get them to experience the 1990's in the most fullfilling possible way?

This is just about fun, its not meant to be taken too seriously, though I would like to see what you guys wouuld suggest and how you'd go about describing this great decade?

hjl

Subject: Re: Imagine...A Coma Patient Wakes Up...And Missed it All...

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/06 at 3:30 am

So, what would you tell this person about the events of the 1990's and why?

What songs would you play for them and why?

What TV shows would you show them and why?

What movies would you show them and why?

How would you allow them to see the fashions?

In what way would you allow them to see the grunge era?

How would you get them to experience the 1990's in the most fullfilling possible way?

Cool question. I'll edit more stuff in later.

Overall, I'd tell them 1990 and most of '91 were still alot like 1989. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is often noted as the song that changed that, and popularized the grunge culture in general, so that'd probably be a good first song. There's tons of TV shows and movies, but I think Seinfeld as well as animated stuff like (c. 1991-96 peak era) Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead were a good representation of the laid back/whatever, or often silly tone of the decade, respectively.

I might tape some Dateline or other news shows reporting on runaway teens or drug use, things like that, to illustrate the more "serious"/cutting edge feel of the times (well, that stuff has always existed, but you know what I mean).

I'd also be sure to say there were now tons of video game systems (at the end of 1989, even the Super NES wasn't even heard of yet) which would probably surprise them, lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/11/06 at 5:12 am

I would sort of do the same thing as Marty...

Some songs I'd play for them would be, 'Hold On' - Wilson Phillips, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 'Can't Touch This' by M.C. Hammer, 'Basket Case' by Green Day, 'Would?' by Jane's Addiction, 'Wonderwall' by Oasis, 'Bittersweet Symphony' the Verve, 'Voodoo People' Fat Boy Slim, something by the Beastie Boys, Ice Cube.etc, 'Cornflake Girl' by Tori Amos, 'You Oughtta Know' Alanis Morisette, 'Torn' Natalie Imbruglia, 'Semi-Charmed Kind of Life' by Third Eye Blind, and something by Eminem, Spice Girls.etc.

TV shows...the Simpsons, Saved by the Bell, Friends, Frasier...

Movies...Jurassic Park, the Lion King, Sleepless in Seattle, Clueless, Titantic, Rush Hour, American Pie

^ you don't want to bombard them with dozens of movies, I think those would be some of the definitive titles...

And to your last question...I would probably ask them to go to some town in the South or something, where they are still probably living in the 90s... :D

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/11/06 at 9:45 pm

And to your last question...I would probably ask them to go to some town in the South or something, where they are still probably living in the 90s... :D

Well, I live in the south, and the city I live in is pretty '00s especially on the Southwest side of town esp. Four Seasons Mall.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/06 at 11:04 pm

Well, I live in the south, and the city I live in is pretty '00s especially on the Southwest side of town esp. Four Seasons Mall.

I think big cities see faster "trend" changes than rural areas - that's probably where you'd find more '90s elements now.

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/15/06 at 1:00 am

I think big cities see faster "trend" changes than rural areas - that's probably where you'd find more '90s elements now.

In all fairness, Southern-fried comedy first gained popularity in the mid-90's, so it might be a good idea to play comedy albums for them by Bill Engvall (Here's Your Sign) and Jeff Foxworthy (You Might Be A Redneck). But don't even think of showing them Seinfeld, the TV show never did him justice. It would be far more advisable to show Jerry onstage, most notably his HBO concert I'm Telling You For The Last Time. And if you can get them anywhere, show Jay Leno's Tonight Show monologues from the 90's and clips of SNL's Weekend Update(Kevin & Colin anyway, Norm stunk!). That should cover news events in the comedic forum.
Any more thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...