inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playstation

Written By: pokemonkid888 on 08/15/06 at 10:02 am

anyone remember when Playstation came out

Subject: Re: Playstation

Written By: audkal on 08/15/06 at 11:31 am

I remember when my bro brought a PS1 home for the first time in '96.  I think the first games they got for it were Crash Bandicoot and Rayman.  I was still quite attached to the Sega Genesis at the time though.  We only had one TV to hook a system up to.  We would fight about it 'cause my 2 oldest bros wanted the PS1 hooked up, and me and the bro before me wanted the Sega hooked up.  I think we alternated the systems every month, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/06 at 6:31 pm

I didn't actually get a PS 1 until Spring of '99 when I tried really hard to get into new video games (I mostly got RPG's and car racing ones - i.e. Gran Turismo/Grand Theft Auto).

I dug it, but not enough to play on a regular basis - I ended up selling the system and the 10 or so games to a buddy a few months later.

P.S. From age 5-12 I played NES and Super Nintendo so much that I got burned out on video games in general and stopped playing from 1995-early '99. That made it hard to get used to it all over again, lol.

Written By: audkal on 08/15/06 at 11:01 pm

P.S. From age 5-12 I played NES and Super Nintendo so much that I got burned out on video games in general and stopped playing from 1995-early '99. That made it hard to get used to it all over again, lol.

Yeah, I was quite into gaming in about that age range too.  I think I got bored when games started getting 3-D, lol.  They suddenly became "too hard" for me.  Even today, if I have an urge to play a game I usually just hook up the good ol' Sega.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/15/06 at 11:05 pm

Yeah I remember when it came out. I got it the year later however, in 1995 I got Saturn, then for Christmas in 1996 I got my Playstation.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/16/06 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, I was quite into gaming in about that age range too.  I think I got bored when games started getting 3-D, lol.  They suddenly became "too hard" for me.  Even today, if I have an urge to play a game I usually just hook up the good ol' Sega.

Yeah, that's another reason I couldn't fully get into the post-1996 systems. I was so used to just the simple arrow and A/B/X/Y buttons, I kept getting confused or dying in the game, LOL.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/16/06 at 5:53 pm

I didn't actually get a PS 1 until Spring of '99 when I tried really hard to get into new video games (I mostly got RPG's and car racing ones - i.e. Gran Turismo/Grand Theft Auto).

I dug it, but not enough to play on a regular basis - I ended up selling the system and the 10 or so games to a buddy a few months later.

Yeah, with people around your age Marty, it tends to be split. Some of them adapted very well to 3D games and like them just as much/even more than old school games, but others(since they spent basically there entire childhood playing 2D games) prefer them and never really 'got' 3D. Most people born in the late '80s(from my experience) like both 2D and 3D games pretty equal with 3D having a slight edge. But most of us at least got some 2D experience in the early '90s.

As far as the actual topic, I actually didn't get a PS1 until that same year(Christmas '99). I had actually stepped up to 3D the previous year with the N64. I still played pretty much all 2D consoles up until 1998.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/16/06 at 9:54 pm

I bought a Playstation in 1998 but sold it the next year cause I didn't play it enough.

--
Dave.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/16/06 at 10:00 pm

Yeah, with people around your age Marty, it tends to be split. Some of them adapted very well to 3D games and like them just as much/even more than old school games, but others(since they spent basically there entire childhood playing 2D games) prefer them and never really 'got' 3D. Most people born in the late '80s(from my experience) like both 2D and 3D games pretty equal with 3D having a slight edge. But most of us at least got some 2D experience in the early '90s.

As far as the actual topic, I actually didn't get a PS1 until that same year(Christmas '99). I had actually stepped up to 3D the previous year with the N64. I still played pretty much all 2D consoles up until 1998.

Yeah, that seems to be really split, just depending on the person. I know guys several years older than me who have XBox 360's and keep up with the new ones, and there's people younger than me who love the old-school 2D's from their childhood (like I do).

While I like playing 3D games on occasion, they're probably out of my "comfort zone" of the roughly 1987-'94 era.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/18/06 at 12:01 am

i got the playstation in 1999 when i was six. the playstation had some of what are still my favourite games. like spyro, and spiderman, medal of honor underground (had an awsome multiplayer combat system), and crash bash. along with all of the board game video games, like life and monopoly. i can't wait for the ps3 (launch date: november 17 06.) i'm getting it for chrismas. and that's all i'm geting for christmas aside from one maybe two of it's games. why you may ask is this going to be my entire christmas? because it's $600 plus $50+ for a game, plus taxes. somewhere around $700!!! wow!!!

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/26/06 at 3:55 pm

i had a playstation and hated it and i didnt like the ps2 much better

Written By: rich1981 on 08/26/06 at 4:12 pm

I was never a playstation kid either, at the time I saw the preview for the PS I didn't think it would be all that big. The only games that have intrigued me for the PS2, for at least a short time were the GTA series and Guitar Hero.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/06 at 8:52 pm

I was never a playstation kid either, at the time I saw the preview for the PS I didn't think it would be all that big. The only games that have intrigued me for the PS2, for at least a short time were the GTA series and Guitar Hero.

Yeah, I like the GTA series too, partly for the soundtrack music (Vice City is all '80s stuff) and because I always enjoyed driving/racing games.

The PS2 overall, I actually like more games on than the PS1, but I never got into it enough to invest in my own system and games. Although I think it's cool that it has lasted a pretty long time and is still decently popular now (I work at Blockbuster, and we still have tons of games for it).

When it came out, I figured it would be old news by 2003 or so.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/27/06 at 5:21 am

i was always into nintendo till xbox came out and it was like it found a nice balance between sony and nintendo

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/27/06 at 8:41 pm

anyone remember when Playstation came out

Came out in November 1994 in Japan, and 1995 in the rest of the world. My first memory of the Playstation was probably about 1995, when they were displaying them at the store, and they were heralding it as the first major CD-based console (forgetting the Genesis CD, and various other even less successful consoles). The (admit it) inferior and far less popular Saturn came out about the same time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/06 at 1:28 am

Came out in November 1994 in Japan, and 1995 in the rest of the world. My first memory of the Playstation was probably about 1995, when they were displaying them at the store, and they were heralding it as the first major CD-based console (forgetting the Genesis CD, and various other even less successful consoles). The (admit it) inferior and far less popular Saturn came out about the same time.

I played the Saturn first. It came out about 3 or so months before the PS1, and sometime in 1995 just before the PS1 came out I played at some store(can't remember where). I played the PS1 later on that year. And yeah I was never a big Saturn fan either ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...