inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: name of an old computer game

Written By: bhyfly on 08/18/06 at 8:46 am

So when i was like 6 i remember playing this computer game.  I cannot remember the name for it.  It was probably a childrens games from either the early 90's or the late 80's.  What i remember about it is that you were a bug of some sort and you dug through the ground.  I think that it was in a minefield or a junkyard or something.  It kind of reminds me of an ant farm or something.  But i cant remember the name...does anyone remember this game?

Subject: Re: name of an old computer game

Written By: audkal on 08/18/06 at 12:08 pm

I can only think of 2 games right now "Bad Mojo" and "Bugdom", but Bugdom was more like late 90s.

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/18/06 at 9:30 pm

Perhaps it was SimAnt? It would fit the description. I played the SNES adaptation, but it was originally a PC game from 1991.

Written By: sarahj86 on 08/21/06 at 7:35 pm

those arent it...it had really simple graphics, probabaly from 1990 or '91, all i remeber from it is that i was a big and i had to dig through the ground and maybe there were bugs that followed you down or went across the screen.  im not too sure.

Sarah

Written By: holicman on 08/22/06 at 10:43 am

What computer or console did you play it on ?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/22/06 at 10:46 am

So when i was like 6 i remember playing this computer game.  I cannot remember the name for it.  It was probably a childrens games from either the early 90's or the late 80's.  What i remember about it is that you were a bug of some sort and you dug through the ground.  I think that it was in a minefield or a junkyard or something.  It kind of reminds me of an ant farm or something.  But i cant remember the name...does anyone remember this game?

Could be a game in the very-popular Worms franchise? I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I remember you sort of dug tunnels underground, and tried to blast your opponents with an arsenal of high-powered weaponery.

Written By: Tam on 08/22/06 at 10:49 am

Sounds like DigDug to me...
But you aren't a bug, you are a man digging your way through screens while dragons and other creatures try to stop you.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/22/06 at 10:56 am

Sounds like DigDug to me...
But you aren't a bug, you are a man digging your way through screens while dragons and other creatures try to stop you.

Oh yeah, that was an old Namco arcade game. I have it on Namco Arcade Classics for PSP...But since I absolutely suck at arcade games, I've pretty much given up playing it.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/22/06 at 11:27 am

So when i was like 6 i remember playing this computer game.  I cannot remember the name for it.  It was probably a childrens games from either the early 90's or the late 80's.  What i remember about it is that you were a bug of some sort and you dug through the ground.  I think that it was in a minefield or a junkyard or something.  It kind of reminds me of an ant farm or something.  But i cant remember the name...does anyone remember this game?

If I'm right, the game you're looking for is called Digger. You had to "eat" through the underground, thus creating tunnels to make money bags drop (preferrably on top of your chasing opponents). I have fond memories of it. :) There's a similar game in the Arcade of this board - perhaps you should try it.

Modified to add: the game in the Arcade is called Tomb Digger.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/11 at 11:49 pm

If I'm right, the game you're looking for is called Digger

RKn2PQGydYY

Here's a screencap of Digger in 640x480x16-color EGA graphics, consistent with the stated date of 1983. The soundtrack was to the tune of Hot Buttered's "Popcorn".  Gameplay is practically identical to Mr. Do, except jewels replace cherries, moneybags replace apples, and so on... 

I'm not sure it was the original poster's game, as it's very clearly from the early 80s.  But I'm also not sure it wasn't the original poster's game, since it would have run just fine on any DOS box of the early '90s.  The enemies look like bugs, and the principal character certainly looks like a bug on wheels.

Written By: karen on 05/17/11 at 11:31 am

Not bugs I know but the OP's description reminded me of a game called Lemmings.

Check for new replies or respond here...