inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s childhood

Written By: pokemonkid888 on 08/22/06 at 3:41 pm

anyone miss there 90s childhood i do

Subject: Re: 90s childhood

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/22/06 at 3:45 pm

I miss it dearly. :\'(

Written By: audkal on 08/22/06 at 10:46 pm

SO MUCH.  But I'm finally starting to try to enjoy my current life.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/06 at 1:51 am

I second, or fourth, that. ;)

My childhood extends up to most of 1994, so I especially miss everything about the first half of the 90s, and quite a bit from the rest too. Probably 1985-1998 is what honestly feels like my time.

But I try not to be "stuck in the past" either (as hard as that is sometimes, lol) and enjoy my current life too. Even little mundane, everyday things that are no big deal at the time, I tend to miss once they're gone. Knowing how I am, I'm sure around 2012 I'll be saying that about right now, so I'm savoring it while I still have a chance.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/23/06 at 4:39 am

I second, or fourth, that. ;)

My childhood extends up to most of 1994, so I especially miss everything about the first half of the 90s, and quite a bit from the rest too. Probably 1985-1998 is what honestly feels like my time.

But I try not to be "stuck in the past" either (as hard as that is sometimes, lol) and enjoy my current life too. Even little mundane, everyday things that are no big deal at the time, I tend to miss once they're gone. Knowing how I am, I'm sure around 2012 I'll be saying that about right now, so I'm savoring it while I still have a chance.

The period of my life from about 1990-1998 feel totally different to the period since then - I dunno, they have a distant, almost dream-like quality to them. Do you find that as well? Or am I alone here?

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/23/06 at 12:52 pm

Yeah my favorite period of the '90s would be at the earliest maybe 1993 up to 1997 especially 1994 and 1995. Those two years are very special to me. But my only favorite '00s year would be 2003. I became a Roadgeek that year.

Written By: audkal on 08/23/06 at 2:01 pm

The period of my life from about 1990-1998 feel totally different to the period since then - I dunno, they have a distant, almost dream-like quality to them. Do you find that as well? Or am I alone here?

No that sounds about right.  Sometimes I'm like "did the 90s actually exist?"  It was so good it does seem like a dream to me.

Yeah, little things in life used to be so joyful and exciting, I wish I could get that feeling again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/06 at 6:42 pm

^ Yeah. What's even stranger is things I never thought I'd miss at the time, I do now. Typical days at school, hanging out in the neighborhood, or just watching TV for instance.

Part of the reason I've been nostalgic for awhile, is I think, because I've lived in several different areas (all within about an 100 mile radius), so I grew up in a different environment and didn't eventually move to where I am now until April of 1996 when I was 14 and a half.

Totally, man. I see what you mean there. I think the time that I was under 14 (can't believe even that was a decade ago!) feels "dreamlike" because it was before high school and before the time I had to worry about life things and working, etc. Also, up to 1997, it was pretty much pre-Internet, so in a subtle sense, it was like a different world.

Written By: xported on 08/24/06 at 10:37 am

I miss the 90s all the time.  My summer vacation between middle school and high school in 1996 was an awesome summer.  I wish I could relive that summer again!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/06 at 12:57 am

Yeah, I fell that way sometimes too. In reality the '90s probably seem better to me now than they actually were at the time. But the time does seem really distant compared to my life now.

Written By: audkal on 08/25/06 at 1:17 pm

^ Yeah. What's even stranger is things I never thought I'd miss at the time, I do now. Typical days at school, hanging out in the neighborhood, or just watching TV for instance.

Yeah that makes sense, stuff like spending time with your grandparents (I only have one left but they started dying in '98), that was something I took for granted back then.  Now if someone offered me a million $ or a chance to be with my grandparents again, I'd definitely have to go with the latter.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/06 at 9:29 pm

Yeah that makes sense, stuff like spending time with your grandparents (I only have one left but they started dying in '98), that was something I took for granted back then.  Now if someone offered me a million $ or a chance to be with my grandparents again, I'd definitely have to go with the latter.

Yeah, same here - sorry to hear about yours that have passed, btw.

Mine all died by the time I was 11 (on my mom's side, from health, and dad's side, from old age), so I'd give anything just spend another day with them. I guess it's not until something like that actually happens to you that causes you to look at it differently. When I was 8 and my first grandma died, then I'd hear about people who were (then) 30 or 35 who'se grandparents were all still alive, it didn't seem fair to me.

Written By: audkal on 08/26/06 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, same here - sorry to hear about yours that have passed, btw.

Mine all died by the time I was 11 (on my mom's side, from health, and dad's side, from old age), so I'd give anything just spend another day with them. I guess it's not until something like that actually happens to you that causes you to look at it differently. When I was 8 and my first grandma died, then I'd hear about people who were (then) 30 or 35 who'se grandparents were all still alive, it didn't seem fair to me.

Sorry to hear about yours too.  Yeah usually the 30-year olds that still have GP still have them because they were born when their parents were like 20 and the same for when their parents were born too.  Like I know people who are like 20 who's GPs are in their 60s, I mean gosh my dad's almost 60.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/27/06 at 1:34 am

Sorry to hear about yours too.  Yeah usually the 30-year olds that still have GP still have them because they were born when their parents were like 20 and the same for when their parents were born too.  Like I know people who are like 20 who's GPs are in their 60s, I mean gosh my dad's almost 60.

Yeah, I'm nearly 20 and my GP on my moms side are in there 60s. My grandpa on my dad's side is 74, but my grandma passed away in 1998.

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/27/06 at 2:01 pm

My grandfather on my dad's side died in 1988 almost 1 year before I was born. He was at Pearl Harbor the day it was attacked. The grandfather on my mom's side lives in Tampa, Florida and I've only seen him once in my life. But both of my grandmothers are still alive. The one on my mom's side is about 75 or 76 and the one on my dad's side is almost 80.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/27/06 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, condolences to you all, even thought it was a while back. Two of my grandparents have passed away, and you often forget how quickly old people age, kind of frightening, really. It's a shame I didn't get to know them better when I was younger.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/06 at 10:22 pm

Thanks. Yeah, my parents are actually 16 years apart too (my mom's younger). Even though they're both "cool" and youngish for their age, my dad was almost 44 when I was born, so that's almost like a grandparent just in numbers. So I'll be honest, I sometimes worry about them getting older and whether they'll live enough to see me have kids, etc (especially since my dad is 68 now).

The earlier generations did tend to get married and started familes around the 16-25 range or so (remember that Seinfeld ep, where Jerry's older physical trainer had a dad and a son, and they all seemed like the same age? ;D).

Written By: audkal on 08/28/06 at 10:31 pm

Thanks. Yeah, my parents are actually 16 years apart too (my mom's younger). Even though they're both "cool" and youngish for their age, my dad was almost 44 when I was born, so that's almost like a grandparent just in numbers. So I'll be honest, I sometimes worry about them getting older and whether they'll live enough to see me have kids, etc (especially since my dad is 68 now).

The earlier generations did tend to get married and started familes around the 16-25 range or so (remember that Seinfeld ep, where Jerry's older physical trainer had a dad and a son, and they all seemed like the same age? ;D).

I get worried about that too!  'Cause I was born when my dad was 41, and if his parents were still alive they would've been 90 and 94 this year.  Though his mom got married/had her first child at 14, but my dad was further down because he was the youngest of their 9 kids.  So yes, I do have cousins who are grandparents believe it or not.

Loved that episode of Seinfeld btw:  ;D

Izzy Sr.: my boys.
Izzy: my dad.
Izzy Jr.: my grandpa.
Jerry: oh, come on!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/06 at 11:15 pm

I get worried about that too!  'Cause I was born when my dad was 41, and if his parents were still alive they would've been 90 and 94 this year.  Though his mom got married/had her first child at 14, but my dad was further down because he was the youngest of their 9 kids.  So yes, I do have cousins who are grandparents believe it or not.

Loved that episode of Seinfeld btw:   ;D

Izzy Sr.: my boys.
Izzy: my dad.
Izzy Jr.: my grandpa.
Jerry: oh, come on!!!

That's right - I hadn't seen that episode in ages, but I knew it went something like that. ;)

Yeah, my uncle is older than my dad, so there's some difference in ages there too. My first cousins are more like my Aunts/Uncles, and my second cousins are more like my actual cousins. The "having kids late" thing seems to run in my family too - my grandpa would be 106 now! I hope I don't do it too, but even though I'm responsible and all, having kids still seems like another world away to me (personality-wise, I still feel 12 half the time, lol).

Your grandma had her first kid when she was 14? I guess that wasn't that unusual back then, as weird as it sounds today. I guess since it was harder times, people planned for their futures right away.

Written By: audkal on 08/28/06 at 11:26 pm

Your grandma had her first kid when she was 14? I guess that wasn't that unusual back then, as weird as it sounds today. I guess since it was harder times, people planned for their futures right away.

Yes and that "child" is in his mid 70's now.  It was actually more unusual because she and my Grandpa (19 at the time) weren't married when she got pregnant, so parents on both sides got really ticked off, and her parents made her live with my grandpa's parents after that happened, so that must've sucked for her, eeee, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...