inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there a typical "90s ballad" sound?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/06 at 9:13 pm

Just as the typical '80s ballad would have keyboards, falsetto-like singing, a guitar solo and drum machine ("Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon is a perfect example), I think there's a definite "classic '90s" rock ballad sound, too.

I thought about that with "I'll Be" and songs like "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum and "The World I Know" by Collective Soul" too. I guess I'd describe it as angst-lite vocals over a somewhat upbeat rock song with accoustic guitaring.

Subject: Re: Is there a typical "90s ballad" sound?

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/26/06 at 9:24 pm

I'm not sure if there is or not. The problem is is that the '90s had so much variety, it's hard to pinpoint the dominant sound.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 08/27/06 at 1:07 am

Just as the typical '80s ballad would have keyboards, falsetto-like singing, a guitar solo and drum machine ("Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon is a perfect example), I think there's a definite "classic '90s" rock ballad sound, too.

I thought about that with "I'll Be" and songs like "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum and "The World I Know" by Collective Soul" too. I guess I'd describe it as angst-lite vocals over a somewhat upbeat rock song with accoustic guitaring.

Exactly what you described.  Here are some other songs like the ones you mentioned

"Lightning Crashes" by Live
"Crash Into Me" by Dave Matthews Band
"Good Riddance" by Green Day
"One" by U2
"Tonight, Tonight / Disarm" by Smashing Pumpkins
"Follow You Down / Till' I Hear It From You" by Gin Blossoms
"Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something
"Glycerine" by Bush
"Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M.
"Everlong" by Foo Fighters
"Nutshell" by Alice In Chains
"Soul To Squeeze" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"High & Dry" by Radiohead
"Slide / Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls
"How's It Going To Be" by Third Eye Blind

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/06 at 1:38 am

I liked some of those ballads circa 1990-1993:

"Hole Hearted" by Extreme
"Just Another Day" by Jon Secada
"More Than Words Can Say" by Alias
"When She Cries" by Restless Heart
"Wind of Change" by Scorpions
"Standing, Push and Fall" by World on Edge
"Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman)" by Zucchero featuring Paul Young

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/27/06 at 5:15 am

do you mean pop/r&b ballad like mariah and whitney or rock ballad

Written By: audkal on 08/27/06 at 11:36 am

I guess I'd describe it as angst-lite vocals over a somewhat upbeat rock song with accoustic guitaring.

That hits the nail on the head.  One I like that falls under this category is "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis.

shaneiscrazy, this would be about rock ballads.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/27/06 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, I notice that too, it's slightly more of a late 90s thing though, imo. First with groups like Bush, D.M.B, Bryan Adams, then later with Live, Creed.etc...that sound - a hint of country crossed blues, rock, and alot of 'pop' was also very big around 2000-01 with songs like 'Drops of Jupiter' (I forget the band).

Written By: audkal on 08/28/06 at 10:40 am

with songs like 'Drops of Jupiter' (I forget the band).

It's by Train I believe.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/06 at 10:00 pm

Yeah, I notice that too, it's slightly more of a late 90s thing though, imo. First with groups like Bush, D.M.B, Bryan Adams, then later with Live, Creed.etc...that sound - a hint of country crossed blues, rock, and alot of 'pop' was also very big around 2000-01 with songs like 'Drops of Jupiter' (I forget the band).

I think whenever any type of music has been popularized for awhile, it tends to get more ballad-like because of how many people are into it. So I'd totally agree there were more alternative rock ballads around 1998 than there were in 1993 (because it had more mainstream listeners by then).

BTW I like "Drops of Jupiter" but got sick of it at the time (it was one of those songs they played 24/7, lol). My favorite Train song was their first big one, "Meet Virginia".

Check for new replies or respond here...