inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: watch wearing

Written By: Jason on 08/30/06 at 10:04 pm

I remember in the early 90's alot of teens wearing watches (especially plastic Swatch watches) upside down (with the face on the inside of the wrist and the strap buckle on the top of the wrist).  I'm only 19 now so I don't remember this period all that clear but recently I was looking at some family pictures and seen some people who were teens in the early 90's wearing Swatches that way.
Was this some fashion statement?  Was this the cool way to wear a Swatch then?
My girlfriend gave me a plastic Swatch and we were talking about which way is the coolest way to wear it.  I don't see that many now.  Any opinions?  Upside down may go good with my backwards/sideways hat  :)
Thanks for reading my post
Jason

Subject: Re: watch wearing

Written By: Tam on 08/30/06 at 11:17 pm

Well, I currently and have always worn my watch upside down as you call it.
To me it is just more comfortable that way AND I don't scratch the lens on anything.
As for it being a 90's style/fad I'm really not too sure since I had a Swatch watche in the 80's. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/06 at 7:19 pm

Swatch Watches are more of a 1986 thing or so. I'm sure there were people hanging onto them in the early '90s, though.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/31/06 at 11:54 pm

Why would you wear a watch upside down?

Written By: Justin R on 09/19/06 at 10:28 pm

interesting topic I came across...Upside-down meaning when you look at the time you turn your wrist so you look at the bottom part of the hand.    I'm 16 and I wear my watch that way.  Its not a Swatch, its a typical leather-band watch.  I do it just to be different, I think it looks cool that way.    Just last week my girlfriend's cousin seen the way i wear my watch and he said when he was in high-school thats how he and alot of other kids wore swatch watches, i think he graduated in 91. 

Written By: robby76 on 09/20/06 at 4:49 am

Why would you wear a watch upside down?

I never understood that either. How do you tell the time without taking it off? This must've been a US craze as I never heard of it in England.

Written By: karen on 09/21/06 at 11:10 am

I never understood that either. How do you tell the time without taking it off? This must've been a US craze as I never heard of it in England.

He didn't mean upside down.  He meant with the face on the inside of the wrist and the buckle on the outside.  Whereas most people have the buckle on the inside.

My brother has worn his watch like this for years, he says it helps stop the lens scratching

Written By: robby76 on 09/21/06 at 11:57 am

Ooooh right... in that case yes, I know dozens of people who did that with their Swatches / watches. Thanks for clearing it up...  :D

Written By: Justin R on 09/26/06 at 9:07 pm

Yea, the buckle on the top part of the wrist.  I wear it like that just for looks,  I know it sounds stupid but since I'm 16 I guess I could say its just a teen fashion thing that I made up. ;D (I guess I just like to wear things backwards...whenever I wear a hat I always wear it backwards of course);D    Although it looks like the watch thing was done a while ago wearing Swatches like that :-\\.  My girlfriend's cousin said he used to wear his Swatch that way, but he wore other watches the regular way. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/28/06 at 12:13 pm

I think you can put down the decline in watch-wearing to mobile phones. I wore those cheap digital electronic watches when I was younger, but when I got a mobile that doubled as a watch as well as about a hundred different devices. I vaguely remember the craze of wearing your watch upside down, but never did it myself.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/28/06 at 7:47 pm

I used to wear one of those indiglo timex electronic watches circa mid '90s, I used to think it was so cool lol.

Written By: Jermey on 11/08/06 at 10:39 pm

Hello, I'm an 18 year-old college student.
I have 3 watches...a plastic band Swatch, a leather band watch, and a metal band watch.  When I wear the metal band watch I wear it the regular way.  When I wear the plastic band or leather band watch I wear it with the buckle on the top of the wrist.  I just like the way it looks that way.  
For me my watch is just a fashion assessory that I always wear, just like my yellow plastic wristband and my white Hurley baseball cap that I wear backwards.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/08/06 at 11:24 pm

I've seen people wearing them "upside down" - i.e. with the face on the inside of their wrist instead of the typical other way around. Even though I can see how it's kinda easier to look at the time that way, it just always felt "off" to me when I've tried wearing it that way, lol.

Written By: Jermey on 11/15/06 at 11:08 pm

I started wearing my watch with the buckle on the top of the wrist since I was 15 (I'm 18 now so I guess that wasn't that long).  I've been wearing them that way ever since.  I always wear my plastic or leather band watches with the buckle on top.  I suppose it feels different, but I just think it looks cool that way. 

Check for new replies or respond here...