inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else likes Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey over Excellent Adventure?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/06 at 1:33 am

Maybe I'm biased from seeing it first (one of my 'sitters took me to see it in the theatre when I was 9), but I thought this one was a little funnier and quicker paced than the original. Their characters were a little more developed too. Plus, I always got a kick out of the Grim Reaper ("You have sunk my Battleship"). ;D

P.S. This movie makes a good case for 1991 having the '80s metalhead vibe too.

Subject: Re: Who else likes Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey over Excellent Adventure?

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/08/06 at 7:41 am

ME

I thought it was much better than the 1st.  I still remember even going out and buying the soundtrack on cassette  ;D

Subject: Re: Who else likes Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey over Excellent Adventure?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/08/06 at 11:42 am

Not me, I didn't care for it much.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/06 at 12:10 pm

I liked Bogus Journey.  That dead dude was great ;D

But I still liked the first one better

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/09/06 at 12:42 am

I like both of 'em ;). If I had to pick one though I think I'd go with the second one too.

Written By: Criz on 09/09/06 at 11:48 am

I loved both of them - the Grim Reaper is such a great charater in the 2nd one though.

If I had to chose I'd still go with 'Excellent Adventure' :]

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/09/06 at 3:42 pm

Becase of all the time periods, the first one was more of an adventure (no pun intended), so I think that's why more people prefer that one.

However, I wasn't as into time travel for these movies was because it doesn't work the way it does in the BTTF movies (where it appears to be a single, changable timeline). In B&T, any time trips you make were always a part of history, so you can't really "change" anything. It's safer, but kinda takes the fun out of it, lol.

Bogus Journey was more fun, since it was more them "hanging out" in their own time (even if they were dead for some of it ;) ), focusing on destroying their evil robot clones and winning the Battle of the Bands.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/10/06 at 3:21 pm

hahaha, I loved them both.  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/11/06 at 1:02 pm

I like them both....  ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 09/11/06 at 7:49 pm

I haven't seen either of them in so, so long that I can't say which one I like better...

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/12/06 at 12:23 pm

P.S. This movie makes a good case for 1991 having the '80s metalhead vibe too.

You could also look at it the other way, that the fact that Bogus Journey bombed at the box office in 1991 and was no where near as popular as the original was a reflection on the times changing and that the film was sadly released when Bill and Ted's time had past, or was passing to be more accurate.  That's what I always felt about the 2nd movie anyway, because it was a good movie, in some ways better then the original.  Yet a commercial failure, much like Gremlins 2

Ideally the first movie should have been released in 1987 and the second in 1989, if that had happened Bill and Ted would have become more firmly ingrained as pop icons.     

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/06 at 1:30 am

You could also look at it the other way, that the fact that Bogus Journey bombed at the box office in 1991 and was no where near as popular as the original was a reflection on the times changing and that the film was sadly released when Bill and Ted's time had past, or was passing to be more accurate.  That's what I always felt about the 2nd movie anyway, because it was a good movie, in some ways better then the original.  Yet a commercial failure, much like Gremlins 2

Ideally the first movie should have been released in 1987 and the second in 1989, if that had happened Bill and Ted would have become more firmly ingrained as pop icons.     

Good points, the audio commentary of Wayne's World said something along those lines too. I'll bet the script was written in 1989 and the scenes filmed in 1990 for a release the following year. Like we've said before, with how fast things were changing from 1989-'92 concerning lifestyles and '80s culture, something thought out and planned from just a year earlier, could've been totally dated and passe by the time it actually came out.

I was a 9-year old kid then, so I probably could've cared less and still been entertained if they were acting like Fast Times at Ridgemont High surfers. ;) But to the moviegoers a few years older than me, having a 1989like movie in 1991 would've been a little lame, perhaps.

Written By: Ebontyne on 09/13/06 at 9:35 am

My dad took me to see Gremlins 2. Guess we were among the few. ;)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/13/06 at 12:02 pm

^I liked Gremlins 2 actually, but for some reason it didn't do well at the box office, not like the original.

I wouldn't say Bill and Ted was seen as that "lame" in 1991, they just weren't as fresh or cutting edge.  I thought they were funny.  Their style and lingo were becoming dated, but they weren't really lame.   The "metal head" thing was still recent enough to be part of the culture, it's just wasn't what it was.  The story and visual effects was in many ways superior to the original, but it was nowhere near as popular as the first one, and I always wondered why that was.

Gremlins and Bil and Ted I suppose were seen more as 80s novelty items, rather then blockbuster franchises like Star Wars or Indiana Jones.  Trying to cash in on their popularity in the early 90s proved much more difficult then the producers probaby imagined.

Check for new replies or respond here...