inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "One Saturday Morning"

Written By: star500 on 09/12/06 at 3:40 pm

Anyone remember "One Saturday Morning"? I think it started around 1996 on ABC. It had all the good cartoons on it, like Pepper Ann, Doug, Rugrats and Recess among others. I used to watch it all the time when I was a little kid, I loved it so much. Now there doesn't seem to be as many Saturday morning cartoons on TV, does anybody notice that? Or if there are, they're the really bad ones. Oh well. ::)

I also remember watching The Bugs Bunny and Tweety show on Global here in Canada at 5:00p.m. for many years and now it is not on anymore. I don't understand why they took that off the air.

Subject: Re: "One Saturday Morning"

Written By: Satish on 09/12/06 at 4:11 pm

I didn't like the "One Saturday Morning" cartoons that much, but that was probably cause I was too old for them. I found the animation pale and poorly drawn. I preferred Disney's cartoons from the 80s and early 90s like "Ducktales", "Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers" and "Goof Troop".

And the reason I think the major networks don't show cartoons on Saturday mornings anymore is that all the cartoons have moved over to cable channels like The Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, which pretty much show cartoons twenty four hours a day.

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/06 at 9:30 pm

I remember "One Saturday Morning".  I only ever watched Doug though.  Never was much of a fan of cartoons in the late 90s-present, but I stumbled across Doug one day and really enjoyed it :)

Recess was ok.  Ever notice that one tattle tale kid (the one who was always tellin' the old teacher what the kids were doing) sort of looked like a younger version of Moe from the Simpsons? ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/06 at 9:31 pm

I preferred Disney's cartoons from the 80s and early 90s like "Ducktales", "Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers" and "Goof Troop".

Disney Cartoons from that era were great.  Mustn't forget "Gummi Bears", "Tale Spin" and "Darkwing Duck".  I wish Disney would bring back cartoons similar to those

Written By: audkal on 09/12/06 at 10:47 pm

Recess was ok.  Ever notice that one tattle tale kid (the one who was always tellin' the old teacher what the kids were doing) sort of looked like a younger version of Moe from the Simpsons? ;D

LOL, I always thought that too.  I think the kid's name was "Randell".

The very first time One Saturday Morning was on I taped the whole freakin' thing and was so glad I did 'cause I still have that tape and watch it sometimes.  It was Spring or Summer '97 I think.  My brothers thought I shouldn't tape it but I kept saying "Hello, it's ONE Saturday Morning, it's only gonna be on ONCE!", lol.  My favorites on there were probably PepperAnn, Recess and the 101 Dalmations series.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/12/06 at 11:50 pm

Anyone remember "One Saturday Morning"? I think it started around 1996 on ABC. It had all the good cartoons on it, like Pepper Ann, Doug, Rugrats and Recess among others. I used to watch it all the time when I was a little kid, I loved it so much. Now there doesn't seem to be as many Saturday morning cartoons on TV, does anybody notice that? Or if there are, they're the really bad ones. Oh well. ::)

I also remember watching The Bugs Bunny and Tweety show on Global here in Canada at 5:00p.m. for many years and now it is not on anymore. I don't understand why they took that off the air.

I remember it well. It premiered in fall 1997. I watched it for about a year or two, but after that I started to reach the age where I was "too old" for cartoons so I stopped. I liked quite a few of the OSM shows, even though I do think the early '90s Disney toons are better. I think of the OSM cartoons as sort of like 'the last decent cartoons' that Disney came out with, even though I guess everyone would have a different opinion on that.

BTW, funny story audkal. I actually have one similar except the exact opposite. I recorded the the last block of Saturday morning cartoons before OSM launched, because I thought that when OSM came out they were gonna get rid of all the good shows(which, depending on your point of view, they did) ;D

Written By: audkal on 09/13/06 at 5:05 pm

BTW, funny story audkal. I actually have one similar except the exact opposite. I recorded the the last block of Saturday morning cartoons before OSM launched, because I thought that when OSM came out they were gonna get rid of all the good shows(which, depending on your point of view, they did) ;D

Bet you're glad you taped those then!  Probably taped some classics (the ones that were cancelled)?  Hehe.  8)  I like going through old video tapes and finding cartoons from the late 80s-early 90s.

Written By: nupur on 09/13/06 at 5:11 pm

'one saturday morning' was great. now they just show nick jr shows and shows you could watch any other day of the week from disney and nick.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/14/06 at 12:18 am

Bet you're glad you taped those then!  Probably taped some classics (the ones that were cancelled)?  Hehe.  8)  I like going through old video tapes and finding cartoons from the late 80s-early 90s.

Yeah, they still had a few of the classics then. They had some of the late '80s-early '90s classics(Ducktales for example). And a few of the more obscure like Nightmare Ned(anybody remember that one,lol). To my knowledge the only show that survived ABC's transition to One Saturday Morning was The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Written By: audkal on 09/14/06 at 11:37 am

Yeah I loved Nightmare Ned!  But it was only on for like a month and then it got cancelled.  :\'(

http://users.cwnet.com/xephyr/rich/dzone/hoozoo/images/ned.gif

On some of our tapes we have stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, and Dink that my bros taped in the 80s.  If it wasn't for my brothers I wouldn't have grown up with stuff like that, hehe.

Check for new replies or respond here...