inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mariah/Madonna/Whitney/Janet

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/15/06 at 12:09 pm

The 4 most successful/popular female artists of the 90's (Mariah Carey, Madonna, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson)

Mariah Carey was however the runaway winner as the most successful of the 4 (She also won the Billboard Award for "Artist of the Decade" back in 1999, beating out Madonna, Whitney and Janet), and not only that, but Mariah is the most successful female artist in music history.  What was most impressive about her was that she had a #1 Hit in each year of the 90's, and she has like the 2nd most #1 hits in the history of music behind "The Beatles"

But my question is which of the 4 divas did you like the most in the 90's? (Not counting Madonna's, Whitney's or Janet's 80's days, just the 90's)

And a funny thing to note is that Mariah and Madonna hated each other.  Madonna was once asked back in 1996 if she would ever want to be like Mariah Carey, and Madonna responded that she would "rather kill herself"  ;D, and Mariah responded that "back when Madonna was actually popular" she never liked her or ever thought she was cool

Subject: Re: Mariah/Madonna/Whitney/Janet

Written By: KKay on 09/15/06 at 12:30 pm

JANET!!!!!!

I"ll take Madonna, sometimes...the others can go jump off a bridge.

Janet is my girl.

Miss Jackson, if you're nasty.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 12:46 pm

I'll go with Mariah.  Man, would I like a piece of that ass ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/15/06 at 12:55 pm

Madonna.  Ray Of Light is better than anything any of the others put out in the 90's.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/15/06 at 3:02 pm

I chose Madonna, because my tastes today have changed to the point that Mariah or Whitney are really not much my style anymore.
I still like Janet Jackson's stuff from the '90s, especially her 1993 album "Janet." Mariah really ruled the airwaves in the '90s and it's really hard to ignore her success over that time. I think I like her MTV Unplugged album best because she really gave a great, honest performance. Whitney, obviously hasn't had the same kind of success that she had with the Bodyguard soundtrack, which was 14 years ago. That is truly her best work from the '90s. Everything else is rather passive, and I find her really more of an '80s artist than an '90s artist.

Madonna's work matured greatly in the '90s - starting out with "Vogue" and ending with "Beautiful Stranger," I liked just about everything she put out throughout the 1990's.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/15/06 at 7:18 pm

Mariah she has the body of a goddess

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/15/06 at 7:33 pm

It really depends!

I liked Whitney's "Bodyguard Soundtrack" and "I'm Your baby tonight" albums.

I loved Madonna's "Bedtime Stories" and "Ray of Light" albums.

Janet got me with her "Janet" and "Velvet Rope" albums.

But I had the most albums during this decade from Ms. Carey!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 7:40 pm

Mariah Carey, no contest.  I bought her albums as they came out in the 90s......I don't have anything by Whitney Houston, I only have janet. by Janet Jackson and I didn't start buying Madonna's stuff until the 00s. 

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/15/06 at 11:00 pm

im a little bias because mariah came out the year affter i was born and ive loved her music ever since but i like janets velvet rope but some of the songs on the album are a little odd but i love the janet album and i liked madonna in the 90s much better then her music now because it dosent make my hears bleed like her new techno/wanna be disco mess

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/15/06 at 11:03 pm

Madonna..the Madonna album is fabulous and i also enjoy Like a virgin and True Blue..her newer stuff is good too,but not AS good IMO..Janet Jackson is fabulousand a VERY close second for me.. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:04 pm

im a little bias because mariah came out the year affter i was born and ive loved her music ever since but i like janets velvet rope but some of the songs on the album are a little odd but i love the janet album and i liked madonna in the 90s much better then her music now because it dosent make my hears bleed like her new techno/wanna be disco mess

Do they make you take typing in school?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/15/06 at 11:28 pm

Madonna.  Ray Of Light is better than anything any of the others put out in the 90's.

Yeah, but I think Bedtime Stories was sadly underrated, though.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/17/06 at 5:48 am

Madonna

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/06 at 2:09 pm

Madonna, for her role in Evita.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/20/06 at 2:05 pm

not trying to sound like a madonna hater but when did radio kinda stop playing her music because i remember alot of stations played ray of light but not much since

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/20/06 at 2:06 pm

Out of this bunch, it has to be Madonna... :)

Written By: Paul on 09/20/06 at 2:12 pm

If it's just going by 90s output alone...none of 'em!  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/06 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, but I think Bedtime Stories was sadly underrated, though.

I agree.  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/20/06 at 2:49 pm

not trying to sound like a madonna hater but when did radio kinda stop playing her music because i remember alot of stations played ray of light but not much since

She now creates dance/club music that many stations won't air.

Written By: Flameon on 10/05/06 at 12:20 pm

Mariah!!! That body is slamming. Especially when she wore that Wizards #23 dress at the all star game in the early 2000's as a tribute to Michael Jordan. uhhh

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/05/06 at 1:00 pm

I voted for Janet.  I have loved her since I was a little kid.  Madonna was a close second, because well, she's Madonna.  But I was way more into Janet Jackson in the 90's.  She kicks ass.

Written By: woops on 10/05/06 at 2:03 pm

Janet Jackson

Madge was more of a parody of herself in the 1990's and mostly known for  more controversy than her music. Then again her music gotten worse since "Justify My Love"...  :P "Vogue" is OK, but that's it... She's just a media hog.

Mariah's OK, I like "Honey" and her much better version of "Without You".

I find Whitney Houston overrated, though only like "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", but that's from 1987.

Check for new replies or respond here...