inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 90's song do you like that's not played on radio anymore?

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/18/06 at 4:34 am

Hey there, I'm new to the board.  For my first post, I was wondering if anyone here can think of a song (or more) that was played quite a bit on radio when new, but hardly heard anymore.

Here's my contribution to start things off...

"Lift Me Up" by Howard Jones .  Great song and the music video was cool too.  I only heard it a few times between 1992/93.  Chances are I'll never hear it on FM again, unless someone starts an "all 90s" station around here.  At least there's always the internet.  ;)

- Mystic Mitch
Hits105 (90's Radio)
http://www.hits105.com

Subject: Re: What 90's song do you like that's not played on radio anymore?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/06 at 7:28 am

I like "Lift Me Up" too, remember it a little from VH1 at the time.

Sadly, alot of the songs I used to hear on the radio all the time back then are rarely played, if ever. In fact, I'd say '90s songs are less played now than '80s songs were around 1996. Such as:

"Roll to Me" by Del Amitri
"Love is All Around" by Wet Wet Wet
anything from Collective Soul, besides "December"
"Everyday" by Phil Collins
"I Believe" by Blessid Union of Souls
"Livin' on the Edge" by Aerosmith
"How Do You Talk to an Angel" by The  Heights
"Every Heartbeat" by Amy Grant

That's a good example of what I was listening to in the mid '90s (not counting older stuff, too).

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/18/06 at 12:39 pm

Sadly, alot of the songs I used to hear on the radio all the time back then are rarely played, if ever. In fact, I'd say '90s songs are less played now than '80s songs were around 1996. Such as:

That's a good example of what I was listening to in the mid '90s (not counting older stuff, too).

I remember that song being extremely overplayed in the Spring/Summer of 1995.  But it was very catchy.

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/18/06 at 1:23 pm

Hey Marty,

I hear what you're saying about 90's songs being less concentrated on now than the 80's were back then.  As the decades pass, radio stations will have more hits to choose from further diminishing chances of spinning great 90's tunes like the ones you mentioned.

As for "Lift Me Up", VH-1 was where I first found out about the song.  I remember sitting up all day around Easter vacation '92 (I think it was) waiting to catch the video again so I could tape it.  I'd say those were near the final days when VH-1's schedule was nothing but music videos.  Oh how times change.  lol

I definitely remember when "I Believe" was all over the radio.  A few times I heard the album version (w/ the 'n' word) played, but most times it was the radio mix.  Same way regarding the radio version of "You Don't Know How It Feels".  Remember when they had to sanitize the lyrics from "...let's roll another joint" to "...let's hit another joint"?  WZXL always played the album version.  To me, that lyric wasn't all that bad.  Quite tame to today's hits.

Now, at any given point on the current Top40 chart, you'll be guaranteed at least five to ten songs with some type of vulgarness.  Even that love ballad by James Blunt "You're Beautiful" has the 'f-bomb' in it.  I guess that's what the crowd is into these days.

Oh yeah, another 90's hit I liked that WAYV played quite a bit was "Whipped" by Jon Secada.  The album version is completely different.  Thankfully, I found a promo copy of the AC version online a few years back.  You'll occasionally hear it on my internet station.  Yep, the 90's are alive and well online at least.  :)

- Mystic Mitch
Hits105 (90's Radio)

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/06 at 1:43 pm

"Not Like Kissing You" by West End Girls.  This was a favourite of mine when I was in High School, but I haven't heard it on the radio in a very long time

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/18/06 at 1:55 pm

Here's a list of songs I remember being played heavily that aren't really played anymore

"Roll To Me" by Del Amitri (Late 1995)

"Back For Good" by Take That (Late 1995)

"Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla (Mid 1996)

"Lovefool" by The Cardigans (Early 1997)

"Your Woman" by White Town (Mid 1997)

"Hey Leonardo" by Blessid Union of Souls (Mid 1999)

"She's So High" by Tal Bachman (Mid 1999)

Written By: Red Ant on 09/19/06 at 1:59 am

Here's a list of songs I remember being played heavily that aren't really played anymore

I remember those two; kinda one hit wonders here in the states. As was Big Wreck's "The Oaf (My Love is Wasted)", King Missile's "Detachable Penis", Days of the New "Shelf in the Room",  The Nixon's "Baton Rouge", and so on.

I miss the latter/more obscure grunge semi-hits, the ones that got airplay anyway.

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/19/06 at 11:28 am

Anyone remember Superdrag's "Sucked Out"?  MTV played it quite a bit in (I think) late '96.  Right around the time of Nada Surf's "Popular".

Written By: D.J. on 09/19/06 at 8:48 pm

"The Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe.  Haven't heard that song on the radio in about 5 years.

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/10/07 at 1:06 pm

Mouth-Merril Bainbridge
Rhythm is a dancer-Snap!
This is Ponderous-2nu
Mr. Vain-Culture Beat
Show me love- Robin S.
Whoomp there it is-Tag Team

Written By: Cheetara on 01/11/07 at 1:18 am

"Creep"  by Stone Temple Pilots

Written By: tv on 01/11/07 at 1:26 pm

I haven;t heard "No Mercy's" 1997 hit "Kiss You ALL Over" in 10 years. I'll hear " Where Do You Go" and "Please Don't Go" but not "Not Kiss You All Over". I havem't heard PM Dawn's 1995 hit "Downtown Venus" since it was hot on Top radio in 1995. What about "Cumbersome" by "Seven Mary Three" from 1995? I never hear "Lets Ride" by Montell Jordan which as a hit in 1998. You won't hear I'll Still Love You or "Butta Love" by R&B group "Next" which were songs from late 1997 and mid 1998. I'll still hear "Too Close" by Next though sometimes. Anybody hear remember that R&B/rap song called "Shorty You Keep Playing with Mind" by Imajin and Keith Murray from 1998? Whens the last time I ever heard "Peaches" by "The Presidents of The United of America" which was a hit in 1995? "Radiation Vibe" by "Fountains of Wayne" you never hear that anymore which as a song from 1996 of course everybody knows about Fountains of Wayne's 2003 hit "Stacey's Mom". "

You know on a side note on "Fountains of Wayne" they were up for best new artist in 2003 because of "Stacey's Mom" being a huge hit. I had to laugh because Fountains of Wayne were not new artists in 2003. Didn;t the awards reps ever hear "Radiation Vibe" 7 years prior to "Stacey's Mom"?

Written By: tv on 01/11/07 at 1:30 pm

I don't know I never really heard very many 80's songs in 1996 except for some 80's alternative rock that was mixed in with 90's alternative rock on rock radio in 1996. In 1995 I used to listen to a top 40 radio sation and they would play "Its My Life" by Talk Talk from 1984 or "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and DJ E-Z rock which was a hit in 1988. The 80's I think were hated in  1995-1996.

Written By: tv on 01/11/07 at 1:33 pm

Hey Marty,

.  Yep, the 90's are alive and well online at least.  :)

- Mystic Mitch
Hits105 (90's Radio)

UM, XM has a 90's station.

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 1:35 pm

"All I Want" - Toad The Wet Sprocket

"Hands Are Tied" -Giin Bloosoms

Written By: tv on 01/11/07 at 1:39 pm

"All I Want" - Toad The Wet Sprocket

"Hands Are Tied" -Giin Bloosoms

I never ever heard "Hands Are Tied" by the Gin Blossoms. I remember "Follow You Down" and "Hey Jeaulousy" from them though.

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 1:40 pm

I never ever heard "Hands Are Tied" by the Gin Blossoms. I remember "Follow You Down" and "Hey Jealousy" from them though.

It's on their "New Miserable Experience" CD

Written By: Brian06 on 01/11/07 at 11:40 pm

"Roll To Me" by Del Amitri (Late 1995)

"Back For Good" by Take That (Late 1995)

"Your Woman" by White Town (Mid 1997)

"Hey Leonardo" by Blessid Union of Souls (Mid 1999)

"She's So High" by Tal Bachman (Mid 1999)

I hear a number of these quite frequently on my A/C station.

Written By: Tyler77 on 01/13/07 at 9:22 pm

Remember in the early 90's when Amy Grant was all over the radio?? ("Baby Baby", "Every Heartbeat")...At one point I was sick of hearing those songs, now I miss them......Maybe once in a while I'll hear Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" on the "Lite-FM" station, but their other songs---"You're In Love", "Impulsive", "Release Me"--my goodness, it's been a good 10+ years since I've heard any of them. I also miss my alt rock that had it's moment in the sun in the mid 90's like "Shine" (Collective Soul) or the "Mmmmmm song" (Crash Test Dummies). I remember all of us humming it in the hallways at school! But to this day, songs like "I Ran" (Flock of Seagulls), "Walking on Sunshine" (Katrina and the Waves) is still played the umpteenth time on the radio stations.

Written By: holicman on 01/19/07 at 7:35 am

Black Velvet By Alanah Myles and Nothing ever Happens by Del Amitri.

I can see clearly now by the Hothouse Flowers was also a big hit for its time.

Elton John's Can you feel the love tonight, I havent heard that in years.

Check for new replies or respond here...