inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which 90's song radio edit did you hate?

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/20/06 at 9:41 am

Which 90's song radio edit did you hate hearing?  For me, it was Goo Goo Dolls "Name" where they chopped out much of the guitar solo.

Subject: Re: Which 90's song radio edit did you hate?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/21/06 at 12:09 am

I hate ALL radio edits. Censorship sucks, and trimming an OS for time purposes is hella lame and a guaranteed way to make me stop listening to that radio station.

If a song is worth playing, they should play the whole song.

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/06 at 12:43 am

The only Radio Edits I like are in today's techno music.  Most of the dance songs I find on LimeWire, etc are all mixed songs or re-mixed songs cut from mix CDs (which means they get cut off at the start and end).  If a song is labelled Radio Edit, I know i'm going to get the real song, un-mixed which fades out the way it should.  I like remixes, but I wil always prefer the original version

Written By: nally on 09/21/06 at 12:18 pm

Which 90's song radio edit did you hate hearing?  For me, it was Goo Goo Dolls "Name" where they chopped out much of the guitar solo.

Yes, there's a long guitar solo toward the end, and a little one at the beginning. I like to hear the longer version of it too. :)

I also hated when they chopped off part of the guitar solo in the Rembrandts' "I'll Be There For You" in June of '95. Instead of 17 seconds long, it was only 3 seconds long. But only on KBIG and KOST in Los Angeles. All other stations played the whole thing.

The Gin Blossoms' 1996 hit "Follow You Down" has also been a victim of radio edit. The aforementioned L.A. radio stations chopped out the entire guitar solo of that song.

I also seem to remember a radio edit involving Ace of Base's 1994 hit "Don't Turn Around." One station edited out the part with the guy singing a few lines, so it sounded like: "I wish I could say to you don't go.. Don't turn around!" (with nothing in between).

I hate ALL radio edits. Censorship sucks, and trimming an OS for time purposes is hella lame and a guaranteed way to make me stop listening to that radio station.

If a song is worth playing, they should play the whole song.

Agreed 100%. That applies to songs in ALL time periods. If I had my own radio station, I would NEVER edit out a whole verse or instrumental break or whatever. If it had an explicit lyric, that's another story.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/21/06 at 5:11 pm

I've never been fond of any radio edits!!  >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 8:50 pm

Most radio edits, or ones that I hear anyway, aren't just time-edited versions of the album cut.  They're different mixes, only shorter than the album version.  I have quite a few radio mixes of songs that are completely different than the longer version you hear on the album.

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/21/06 at 11:21 pm

I'm not a big fan of radio edits myself; same goes for most continuous mix CDs that are already pre-packaged.  I prefer to make my own. 8)

Lately, if I can only get a radio edit of a track, I'll rework it into something mix-friendly if it's something I want to use.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/22/06 at 4:25 am

Agreed 100%. That applies to songs in ALL time periods. If I had my own radio station, I would NEVER edit out a whole verse or instrumental break or whatever. If it had an explicit lyric, that's another story.

There are two songs of which I'm not sure are radio edits or are the performers' own shortened versions: America's "A Horse With No Name" and Don McLean's "American Pie."

Even though I detest AHWNN, I'd want to hear the whole song anyway. American Pie wouldn't be played to the point where a DJ would need to trim 1/4 the song out for time constraints; it's 30+ years old and at 9 minutes in length should be fairly self-limiting as far as air time goes.

I might almost consider fire-bombing a radio station (a joke!) if they edited a song like "Kashmir" for run time. Personally, I'd rather hear one killer 8 minute song than 2 crappy, lame, and overplayed 4 minute songs.

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/22/06 at 5:17 am

I also seem to remember a radio edit involving Ace of Base's 1994 hit "Don't Turn Around." One station edited out the part with the guy singing a few lines, so it sounded like: "I wish I could say to you don't go.. Don't turn around!" (with nothing in between).

I remember that edit and it sounded stupid.  I know the stations around here used to play "Waterfalls", "On Bended Knee" and "Fly" with their rap/talk part taken out.  They probably were mixed like that to make them playable on stations that preferred to keep all rap out.  Problem is that the whole song's message isn't being heard at that point.  I HATE the rapless version of Sugar Ray's "Fly".  Super Cat's collaboration is a part of what made that song a hit!  Back then ('97), WAYV would always play the rapless version.  I don't know what they play these days, but I'm sure there has to be songs in their list now that contain even minimal rap.  Seems to be the direction Top40 has moved in this decade.

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 09/22/06 at 12:16 pm

There are two songs of which I'm not sure are radio edits or are the performers' own shortened versions: America's "A Horse With No Name" and Don McLean's "American Pie."

Even though I detest AHWNN, I'd want to hear the whole song anyway. American Pie wouldn't be played to the point where a DJ would need to trim 1/4 the song out for time constraints; it's 30+ years old and at 9 minutes in length should be fairly self-limiting as far as air time goes.

Omg, "AP" is 9 minutes long? :o I've heard it in its entirety only once, and that was three weeks ago when I was at the DMV taking my written test for my permit renewal. I wasn't timing it; I was just concentrating on the exam.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/22/06 at 4:22 pm

Omg, "AP" is 9 minutes long? :o I've heard it in its entirety only once, and that was three weeks ago when I was at the DMV taking my written test for my permit renewal. I wasn't timing it; I was just concentrating on the exam.

You're kidding.  You didn't know American Pie was that long?  On any station I've ever listened to, they've played the full 9 minutes of that song.  Same goes for Layla, BoRhap, Stairway, Freebird, and Paradise By The Dashboard Light.....they play all songs, no matter the length, in their entirety. 

I love my classic rock radio stations down here.

Written By: nally on 09/22/06 at 5:47 pm

You're kidding.  You didn't know American Pie was that long?  On any station I've ever listened to, they've played the full 9 minutes of that song.  Same goes for Layla, BoRhap, Stairway, Freebird, and Paradise By The Dashboard Light.....they play all songs, no matter the length, in their entirety. 

As a matter of fact, I did not know that. I knew it was at least 6 or 6 1/2 minutes long...but I had no idea that it was as long as CCR's rendition of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (which, for the record, I have heard all nine minutes of on my local classic rock stations).

I wish I had stations like yours that always played the full length of every song on their playlist. :) "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits is another one of them really long songs that had a shorter version. I love hearing all eight minutes of it; many stations around here that play it only play the shorter version, which is half that long. ::)

I love my classic rock radio stations down here.

Do they have web sites we can visit? If so, can anyone listen live?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 2:33 am

http://www.96rock.com

http://971theriver.com

Written By: nally on 09/23/06 at 2:40 am

http://www.96rock.com

http://971theriver.com

Thanks!!

Written By: Red Ant on 09/23/06 at 11:55 pm

:) "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits is another one of them really long songs that had a shorter version. I love hearing all eight minutes of it; many stations around here that play it only play the shorter version, which is half that long. ::)

The full version of MFN shamelessly plugs MTV for a good 90 seconds; that's probably why you never hear it on a radio station.

There are also short and long versions of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me", but like "Money For Nothing" they aren't radio edits.

On the Lynyrd Skynyrd: Southern By The Grace of God live CD, the version of Freebird is over 13 minutes long, with a really great piano piece in the middle.

Written By: nally on 09/24/06 at 11:26 am

The full version of MFN shamelessly plugs MTV for a good 90 seconds; that's probably why you never hear it on a radio station.

That's not entirely true. I have heard the full eight minutes of MFN on the radio, namely on KLOS (95.5 FM) in Los Angeles. I think there's one other station that has played the whole enchalada; I'm not sure which one.

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/25/06 at 8:03 pm

I've heard the full version on radio back in the day.  I believe there's actually two official "edits" of the song; one with the second verse in and one without ("that little ******...").  I've heard the song get cued up quite a bit a the opening guitar riffs rather than at Sting's "I Want My MTV" declaration.

Written By: nally on 07/19/10 at 11:48 pm

I've heard the full version on radio back in the day.  I believe there's actually two official "edits" of the song; one with the second verse in and one without ("that little ******...").  I've heard the song get cued up quite a bit a the opening guitar riffs rather than at Sting's "I Want My MTV" declaration.

Yeah, sometimes they'll only play the last instance of "I want my MTV" which occurs right before the guitar riffs, rather than all of them (which occur for a good minute plus).

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/10 at 10:50 pm

Aqua - Barbie Girl
Madonna - Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Check for new replies or respond here...