inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are 1984 Madonna and 1999 Britney Spears similar at all?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/20/06 at 8:15 pm

I'd say both yes and no, in a way.

While Madonna was definitely more groundbreaking (artistically as well as musically), and pushed the envelope further and more drastically, you've gotta admit, there are some surface similarities on each of their debut albums: Two huge dance hits with a teenpop image with one semi ballad pop song; and a playful/cute but not quite vulgar sexiness - which preceded a more "controversial" image and events in their careers a couple years down the line.

Both somewhat also ushered in a new era of music (although again, Madonna far more so. I now am starting to think "Holiday" and "Lucky Star" were the beginning of the true beginning of peak '80s music, even if Culture Club and Thriller were very very close around the start of 1983).

Although I always got the impression Britney was more of an entertainer and celeb who happened to have some hit songs. Not that I'm downplaying her, but she wasn't and still isn't a pioneer the way 1984/85 Madonna was.

Subject: Re: Are 1984 Madonna and 1999 Britney Spears similar at all?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/21/06 at 5:56 pm

I think yes, they have some similiarities. But, No - Britney just cannot be compared to Madonna (at any stage of her career) Britney did not really compose her music at the beginning (even if she does now) nor did she really change much in the pop culture scene except some dirty dance moves and being a dirty Catholic schoolgirl in her video. Her voice has less range than Madonna's and if she sticks around another 5 years, lets see how she changes and morphes herself. If she does (for the better) I may not be so cruel to her.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 09/24/06 at 11:27 am

Going by THAT video (is that really Britney?) - Britney's well on the way to realising her potential... ;)

Not a fan of Madonna, but putting Britney in the same league as her (or any singer who can actually sing) doesn't make any sense. But yes, Marty, there are some superficial similarities between the two, but for style and that magnetic quality of personality Madge was leagues ahead of Britney.

Written By: Ebontyne on 09/26/06 at 7:48 pm

Madonna is definitely the more groundbreaking and important pop star. I think that her early music videos in particular were important to the development of that medium; she was one of the first real MTV stars, relying on a heavy dose of "image" for her success in music. Britney has just followed in her footsteps.

Even so, I think Britney Spears is a pop cultural phenomenon too. Her "teenybopper" style and image in the late '90s may have been closer to that of Tiffany or Debbie Gibson in the late '80s (though rather less wholesome!), but they never achieved Britney's colossal star power. At least in terms of mainstream success and public attention, she has proven to be closer to a Madonna.

One big difference though is that Madonna was at her peak as "Queen of Pop" seven years into her career, whereas Britney... well, not so much. I'm not prepared to write her off completely yet, because she's already lasted longer than I ever expected, but I've serious doubts that she will have Madonna's longevity.

Written By: woops on 09/27/06 at 1:30 am

Madge... good dance songs somewhat talent, mostly a media hog who haven't done anything decent since 1990's "Vogue"

Britney... a media hog with no talent

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/27/06 at 1:45 am

Madge... good dance songs somewhat talent, mostly a media hog who haven't done anything decent since 1990's "Vogue"

You're kidding, right?  The stuff she's done since Vogue has been better than half of what she put out before it.  Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light....the two best albums she's done since Like a Prayer. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/27/06 at 11:28 pm

The only similarity between 1984 Madonna and 1999 Britney is that they were new to the scene at those times.  Madonna was (Ray Of) Light years ahead of Britney in terms of talent and vocal range.  Basically because, Madonna can sing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/06/06 at 8:50 pm

I sort of think that a good example for comparison of the two is Marilyn Monroe vs. Jayne Mansfield. Though I'm not a big Marilyn fan, she was very much so an original, though there was a flood of corny imitators like Jayne Mansfield through the '60s. Of course, Marilyn would be Madonna and Jayne Britney. Also, Madonna was a much more "adult artist" while having teenage appeal. She had daring, originality, artistry, and a cold calculatedness and independence about what she did that Britney has always lacked, being almost wholly a studio creation like the late '80s pop divas such as Tiffany.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/07/06 at 7:03 pm

I sort of think that a good example for comparison of the two is Marilyn Monroe vs. Jayne Mansfield. Though I'm not a big Marilyn fan, she was very much so an original, though there was a flood of corny imitators like Jayne Mansfield through the '60s. Of course, Marilyn would be Madonna and Jayne Britney. Also, Madonna was a much more "adult artist" while having teenage appeal. She had daring, originality, artistry, and a cold calculatedness and independence about what she did that Britney has always lacked, being almost wholly a studio creation like the late '80s pop divas such as Tiffany.

Take your politics out of this here thread! :P

Written By: Brian06 on 10/20/06 at 7:03 am

Britney... a media hog with no talent

Madonna's best material imo is from the '90s. I don't like most of '80s stuff really.

Check for new replies or respond here...