inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else think first half of the 90s>second half?

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/28/06 at 12:26 am

Pre-internet for one thing. I like the net but I have some nostalgia for before it was everywhere. Also the big multiplexes hadn't run out the smaller theaters, you had the classic 2D games, better movies, better T.V., and I'm not too big of a grunge fan but I'd say better music too.

The latter half of the 90s was like 2000s light.

What do you guys think? It may just be me getting nostalgic for my early childhood.

Subject: Re: Anyone else think first half of the 90s>second half?

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/28/06 at 1:11 am

I think the "Middle Half" of the 90's is the best.  Pretty much from about 1993 until 1997

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:22 am

Pre-internet for one thing. I like the net but I have some nostalgia for before it was everywhere. Also the big multiplexes hadn't run out the smaller theaters, you had the classic 2D games, better movies, better T.V., and I'm not too big of a grunge fan but I'd say better music too.

The latter half of the 90s was like 2000s light.

What do you guys think? It may just be me getting nostalgic for my early childhood.

Yeah, I missed my early childhood by the time I was 13, and missed my later Elementary school years once I was in high school. That'll definitely do it to ya. ;) Although I now find myself softened on the late '90s and even early '00s in the same way.

Many people on here (myself included) have said this sorta thing before, but I firmly believe 1996 was the last true "old school" year. I mean, I think if someone from the '80s took a time machine to some point in the future, that's the last year they'd probably feel completely "at home" with everyday technology and things like that. For basically the reasons you said.

I'm not saying 1996 WAS the '80s. Not at all. But it still was somewhat before the Internet was a household thing. Pagers outnumbered cellphones, there were arcades in malls, VHS and audio tapes were popular (a little past their peak, but still very common).

Both the 1980s and 2000s are very distinct in terms of tech. I just realized there's not that much "90s tech" - in other words, stuff that originated then and is tied to the era. It's really more a mix of '80s and '00s tech. And the line is just about at 1997. Anything before then was almost like advanced '80s technology.

P.S. I've always thought the 1996 to '97 change was a big one. But maybe it's partially biased from my personal experience. I started high school in the Fall of '96, had just moved to San Jose (where I've lived ever since) and was 14 going on 15. All that is pretty changeful in itself, too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 8:28 am

Yes, I prefer the earlier 90's to the later 90's. I graduated in 1995...so anytime before that....seemed better than from like 1996 on.  For me, when looking back....the late 80's and the early 90's kind of run together (when I am thinking about different fads/tv shows/movies/etc).  It was a good time, that's for sure! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:40 am

Yes, I prefer the earlier 90's to the later 90's. I graduated in 1995...so anytime before that....seemed better than from like 1996 on.  For me, when looking back....the late 80's and the early 90's kind of run together (when I am thinking about different fads/tv shows/movies/etc).  It was a good time, that's for sure! ;)

You know what sucks on my end of things? I didn't really appreciate my high school era as it was going on. Oh no, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my current life and some of the stuff that was popular, but in 1999 I started really missing 1994 (and my '80s childhood even moreso, of course).

Of course the same thing has happened to me, since I now consider up to 2000 "the good old days". ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 8:46 am

You know what sucks on my end of things? I didn't really appreciate my high school era as it was going on. Oh no, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my current life and some of the stuff that was popular, but in 1999 I started really missing 1994 (and my '80s childhood even moreso, of course).

Of course the same thing has happened to me, since I now consider up to 2000 "the good old days". ;)

I hear ya. When I was in high school...I just kind of wanted it to be over...but as I look back upon it, I would love to have the chance to do it all over again and be able to really enjoy the music/styles/etc. of that era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:52 am

I hear ya. When I was in high school...I just kind of wanted it to be over...but as I look back upon it, I would love to have the chance to do it all over again and be able to really enjoy the music/styles/etc. of that era.

Well, to really despise something in a "old grump" sense, you have to be at least 40. But it's very easy to have that it's not as good as what came before it feeling. That's more what I had at the time. Was it that way for you at all (i.e. being 16 and thinking back to when you were 10)?

I think I'm so nostalgic in general because (1), I moved around ALOT when I was younger, so I was in alot of different places (all in the same basic area, but enough to be in a new environment on a regular basis), and (2), because I was into pop culture and other life things at such an early age.

I might be the only 11 or 12 year old in history who was like "Hey this song reminds me of when I was 4!" and sorta meant it. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 8:55 am

Well, to really despise something in a "old grump" sense, you have to be at least 40. But it's very easy to have that it's not as good as what came before it feeling. That's more what I had at the time. Was it that way for you at all (i.e. being 16 and thinking back to when you were 10)?

I think I'm so nostalgic in general because (1), I moved around ALOT when I was younger, so I was in alot of different places (all in the same basic area, but enough to be in a new environment on a regular basis), and (2), because I was into pop culture and other life things at such an early age.

I might be the only 11 or 12 year old in history who was like "Hey this song reminds me of when I was 4!" and sorta meant it. ;D

to be honest, I didn't start getting all nostalgic until I entered my 20's.  Once I hit 20-ish....I became very nostalgic, yearning to be able to go back to a simpler time in my life, and that's when I started really getting into retro things that constantly remind me of my younger years (ie. music/toys/movies/etc).  Now that I am almost 30...the feeling is stronger than ever...there really isn't a day that goes by that I am not thinking in retrospect.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:59 am

to be honest, I didn't start getting all nostalgic until I entered my 20's.  Once I hit 20-ish....I became very nostalgic, yearning to be able to go back to a simpler time in my life, and that's when I started really getting into retro things that constantly remind me of my younger years (ie. music/toys/movies/etc).  Now that I am almost 30...the feeling is stronger than ever...there really isn't a day that goes by that I am not thinking in retrospect.

Yeah, I sorta see what you mean. Once you can remember "20 years ago" is when it starts seeming like another era or another generation. Even if I missed my 7-year old life when I was 14, in retrospect it still felt like "just a little while ago". Now it feels truly removed. :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 9:01 am

Yeah, I sorta see what you mean. Once you can remember "20 years ago" is when it starts seeming like another era or another generation. Even if I missed my 7-year old life when I was 14, in retrospect it still felt like "just a little while ago". Now it feels truly removed. :(

the crazy thing about it is...sometimes it seems like SUCH a long time ago...but other days, when I look back, it seems like it only happened a short time ago. I can still remember things SO vividly...I think I should start writing it all down, so that when I am old and gray and don't have much of a mind left...I will still have the memories on paper.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 9:09 am

the crazy thing about it is...sometimes it seems like SUCH a long time ago...but other days, when I look back, it seems like it only happened a short time ago. I can still remember things SO vividly...I think I should start writing it all down, so that when I am old and gray and don't have much of a mind left...I will still have the memories on paper.

That's a good idea. I actually used to keep a little paper journal for a few years - although sometimes I'd get lazy and forget to do certain days. ;D

But yeah, 20 years ago seems like 12 years or something. It doesn't feel as old as it is, at all. In a way, that makes the reality even sadder though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 9:11 am

That's a good idea. I actually used to keep a little paper journal for a few years - although sometimes I'd get lazy and forget to do certain days. ;D

But yeah, 20 years ago seems like 12 years or something. It doesn't feel as old as it is, at all. In a way, that makes the reality even sadder though.

yes, and it's even sadder to think how much things have changed since then (in every aspect of life). What can I say...I am just a real softie for old times!  ;D

Written By: holicman on 09/28/06 at 10:44 am

Quirk, I know you are probably married or engaged, but you are cute and so is your son :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 12:20 pm

Quirk, I know you are probably married or engaged, but you are cute and so is your son :)

awww....yes, I am married...but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the nice compliment...thank you! :)  Sending karma your way!!

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 1:19 pm

I agree with most of you. My favorite years of the '90s are the early and mid years. 1998 and 1999 just don't have the special charm and nostalgic feel the early and mid '90s (1992-1996) had. 1997 is half retro/half now. The late '90s were basically the '00s running on Windows 98. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/28/06 at 1:47 pm

I have fondness for most of the '90s. I was just younger then and experienced things as a kid and young adult at the time, and some of it I took for granted. I agree about the smaller theatres going out of business due to big multi-plexes coming to town. I miss that warmth of going to a small theatre and really enjoying that old-movie house feel. That's what makes going to the theatre so special.

I miss pre-internet days, as I was less distracted and probably absorbed stuff better due to reading it in a book, rather online - where you seem to get too much information at once.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 1:52 pm

I have fondness for most of the '90s. I was just younger then and experienced things as a kid and young adult at the time, and some of it I took for granted. I agree about the smaller theatres going out of business due to big multi-plexes coming to town. I miss that warmth of going to a small theatre and really enjoying that old-movie house feel. That's what makes going to the theatre so special.

I miss pre-internet days, as I was less distracted and probably absorbed stuff better due to reading it in a book, rather online - where you seem to get too much information at once.

I know what you mean. I really like the Internet, but my Pre-Internet days were better. I first got online in early 1996.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/28/06 at 1:59 pm

I know what you mean. I really like the Internet, but my Pre-Internet days were better. I first got online in early 1996.

I actually never had the internet until 1999 when I was 17, but my best friend had it prior to that and I was really fascinated with it when she'd let me play on there.

Written By: audkal on 09/28/06 at 4:08 pm

I kind of just had a discussion like this with my mom yesterday.

Not long after I turned 15 I started to get depressed and nostalgic.  My childhood seemed more peaceful only because I was sheltered from all of the bad stuff.  As I got older (12/13), I was finally starting to realize just how messed up the world is.  I think that's why most people favor their childhood.  It's weird, because I wish that I was stupid and oblivious again.  Also, your childhood is a time when it's OK to be dependant on others.  I find myself even looking back on '00 and '01 as "good times".

But I have hope for the future now and I don't really think about my childhood much anymore.  Well, I think about it but I don't spend my time trying to "recapture the moments" anymore.  I am actually already nostalgic for Summer '06, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:11 pm

Yeah, it's a two-way street with me as well. I wouldn't want to give up the Internet and modern tech, but I also miss the times before it was such a dependant, household thing too, if that makes any sense. In a way, I think all that tech kinda makes us spoiled (again, I totally plead guilty to that myself too, so it's not a knock on anyone else!). ;)  It's like, if you want to watch a music video, chances are it's on YouTube and you'll find it in 5 seconds. It's not like in the "old days" when you'd have to actively search for it on MTV/VH1.

Same for cellphones, DVDs, CD burning etc. I love it all and wouldn't want to give it up, but I miss when it was simpler too. For instance I'll keep all my VHS's and audio tapes for life probably.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, it's a two-way street with me as well. I wouldn't want to give up the Internet and modern tech, but I also miss the times before it was such a dependant, household thing too, if that makes any sense. In a way, I think all that tech kinda makes us spoiled (again, I totally plead guilty to that myself too, so it's not a knock on anyone else!). ;)  It's like, if you want to watch a music video, chances are it's on YouTube and you'll find it in 5 seconds. It's not like in the "old days" when you'd have to actively search for it on MTV/VH1.

Same for cellphones, DVDs, CD burning etc. I love it all and wouldn't want to give it up, but I miss when it was simpler too. For instance I'll keep all my VHS's and audio tapes for life probably.

That's like me. Whenever I get my dad's old 1986 Nissan Pickup, I'm keeping the tape deck.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 6:23 pm

It's funny because sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how did we survive without the access of the internet?"...although times were so much more simple back then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:26 pm

I kind of just had a discussion like this with my mom yesterday.

Not long after I turned 15 I started to get depressed and nostalgic.  My childhood seemed more peaceful only because I was sheltered from all of the bad stuff.  As I got older (12/13), I was finally starting to realize just how messed up the world is.  I think that's why most people favor their childhood.  It's weird, because I wish that I was stupid and oblivious again.  Also, your childhood is a time when it's OK to be dependant on others.  I find myself even looking back on '00 and '01 as "good times".

But I have hope for the future now and I don't really think about my childhood much anymore.  Well, I think about it but I don't spend my time trying to "recapture the moments" anymore.  I am actually already nostalgic for Summer '06, lol.

Yeah, that's smart. I've tried to get into that mindset myself. Sure, my past will always be special to me, and when things change (i.e. people getting older) I notice it even more. But I don't want to get SO caught up in it that I don't enjoy the present. I've been going in these cycles ever since I was like 8-9 (I missed 1987 in 1994, and I missed 1994 in high school, etc), so I oughta know it'll happen again too.

One reason I now feel I'm more attached to my childhood actually wasn't because of the pop culture (though I'm sure that has something to do with it - since I paid attention to so much as a kid), but more it's because I wasn't really interested alot of "typical teen pressure" stuff like drinking, sex, hard partying and all that.

I'm still not, to be honest - as "square" as that might sound. ;) (Well, I tend to enjoy just hanging out with the guys or going on simple dates, even if alot of people would think that's lame by the time they're 15, let alone my age.)

So, thinking back to simpler experiences like going on a car trip with my parents, or playing a NES game when I was 6 is more nostalgic to me than someone else might feel about, say smoking weed for the first time when they were 15.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:35 pm

It's funny because sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how did we survive without the access of the internet?"...although times were so much more simple back then.

Me too. I guess it was easier 'cause we didn't know we were living without it.

I was just thinking if someone offered me a time machine to go back, say 15 years to 1991, it would be pretty darn old-school and primitive! Even though I love that era, it would even take me some time to get used to it. Of course, daily life and the average street is 98% the same (except for all the rectangular '80s cars), but I'd definitely start having 'Net withdrawls before too long.

Back then, the sources for entertainment were TV, reading, video games, the phone and simply going out. Not that that's not still good, but it doesn't feel complete anymore.

There's definitely the pre-Internet world (up to 1994), and the technologized world (1999+). The mid '90s are somewhere in between. That'd actually probably be my fave time to "live in" if I had to pick.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 6:37 pm

Me too. I guess it was easier 'cause we didn't know we were living without it.

I was just thinking if someone offered me a time machine to go back, say 15 years to 1991, it would be pretty darn old-school and primitive! Even though I love that era, it would even take me some time to get used to it. Of course, daily life and the average street is 98% the same (except for all the rectangular '80s cars), but I'd definitely start having 'Net withdrawls before too long.

Back then, the sources for entertainment were TV, reading, video games, the phone and simply going out. Not that that's not still good, but it doesn't feel complete anymore.

There's definitely the pre-Internet world (up to 1994), and the technologized world (1999+). The mid '90s are somewhere in between. That'd actually probably be my fave time to "live in" if I had to pick.

yes you are right...it would take some time to get used to the "primitive state" that it was. ;)...however, I would do it in an instant.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 6:38 pm

I'd definately go back to 1994 or 1995. Not permanently. I'd treat it like a vacation.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:43 pm

I'd definately go back to 1994 or 1995. Not permanently. I'd treat it like a vacation.

Well, even if you did go back to 1994, you'd still get "home" eventually, although to everyone else, you'd suddenly be 12 years older! ;)

Yeah, the earliest that I'd consider going back and staying there would be 1997. Although I'd love to "vacation" in many other time periods too.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/28/06 at 6:44 pm

To me, the latter half of the decade is better than the first half.  I was finally old enough to go out and do things with friends, the internet was much more commonplace ....the first half of the decade was when I was still a kid.  I don't want to go back to that.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/28/06 at 6:47 pm

I'd love to go back of course, as much as I try to enjoy the present, my totally worry free young childhood days of the early-mid '90s were great. It seems like a distant different world now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:48 pm

To me, the latter half of the decade is better than the first half.  I was finally old enough to go out and do things with friends, the internet was much more commonplace ....the first half of the decade was when I was still a kid.  I don't want to go back to that.

Even though I don't agree, I kinda see where you're coming from. When I was 13-15, I had that weird "in limbo" feeling, like I was old enough to miss my childhood and have a decent mind on me, but annoyed that I still was too young to drive a car and stuff like that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 6:52 pm

Even though I don't agree, I kinda see where you're coming from. When I was 13-15, I had that weird "in limbo" feeling, like I was old enough to miss my childhood and have a decent mind on me, but annoyed that I still was too young to drive a car and stuff like that.

see, I was the same way when I was like 14-15...I couldn't wait to get older to be able to drive, have some independence, graduate...etc....but now as I look back, I wish I could do it all over again and slow down the process a lot.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:58 pm

see, I was the same way when I was like 14-15...I couldn't wait to get older to be able to drive, have some independence, graduate...etc....but now as I look back, I wish I could do it all over again and slow down the process a lot.

Yeah, it wasn't so much I wanted to be older (even though I always thought maturely, and I had some adult/older friends, etc), but I wanted to be treated older and kinda resented "kid stuff". Was it that way for you?

The irony is, when I was 14ish, I didn't want in a million years to be lumped in with a 7 or even a 11-12 year old. Even if I missed my life at that age myself. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, it wasn't so much I wanted to be older (even though I always thought maturely, and I had some adult/older friends, etc), but I wanted to be treated older and kinda resented "kid stuff". Was it that way for you?

The irony is, when I was 14ish, I didn't want in a million years to be lumped in with a 7 or even a 11-12 year old. Even if I missed my life at that age myself. ;)

I think for myself it was a little bit of both wanting to actually BE older, and/or at least be treated older.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:08 pm

I think for myself it was a little bit of both wanting to actually BE older, and/or at least be treated older.

Yeah, I was probably a little more "serious" then because I wanted to be perceived older - oh, I still had fun and enjoyed alot of things, but for instance, I wouldn't have admitted liking Disney movies. Whereas now, I know I'm old enough for it to not matter, so if anything I'm more laid back now than I was then.

Of course, all that combined with what everyone goes through at that age didn't make it any easier (i.e. I was usually deathly nervous around girls/women until I was 16 or so ;D) but I even miss that now. If you asked me in 1995 if I'd feel that way in 3 or 4 years, I would've said heck no though, LOL.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/28/06 at 7:08 pm

I hated being a kid.  My parents always called me an "old soul" because I acted and talked like someone older than I was.  I did typical kid things, but in the end, I was more content to read a book or sit and watch the news with my parents....something someone older might do.  1997 is in my mind, the end of my "childhood".  I turned 15 that year, got my learner's permit (even though I didn't end up getting my license until I was much older), I got to stay home alone when my parents went out....I got some more privileges.  I reveled in it.  

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, I was probably a little more "serious" then because I wanted to be perceived older - oh, I still had fun and enjoyed alot of things, but for instance, I wouldn't have admitted liking Disney movies. Whereas now, I know I'm old enough for it to not matter, so if anything I'm more laid back now than I was then.

Of course, all that combined with what everyone goes through at that age didn't make it any easier (i.e. I was usually deathly nervous around girls/women until I was 16 or so ;D) but I even miss that now. If you asked me in 1995 if I'd feel that way in 3 or 4 years, I would've said heck no though, LOL.

ya, now that I am older...I don't care what anyone thinks about the stuff I am interested in, whereas back then, I would have been embarrassed of some things or what people may have thought about my interests.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:19 pm

I hated being a kid.  My parents always called me an "old soul" because I acted and talked like someone older than I was.  I did typical kid things, but in the end, I was more content to read a book or sit and watch the news with my parents....something someone older might do.  1997 is in my mind, the end of my "childhood".  I turned 15 that year, got my learner's permit (even though I didn't end up getting my license until I was much older), I got to stay home alone when my parents went out....I got some more privileges.  I reveled in it.  

Well yeah, that's pretty stupid (i.e. your parents reaction to your interests) so I kinda understand. I've always said everyone is different, I don't think stuff like age determines a person's interests or personality. I just wish more people felt that way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 7:22 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/28/06 at 7:24 pm

Well yeah, that's pretty stupid (i.e. your parents reaction to your interests)

What's that supposed to mean?  I didn't hate being a kid because my parents thought I was an "old soul".  I hated being a kid because I wasn't like a lot of other people I knew that were my age.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 7:36 pm

I'm currently 16 and believe it or not, I'm nostalgic for being 4-5 years old in 1994-1995.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:37 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:39 pm

I'm currently 16 and believe it or not, I'm nostalgic for being 4-5 years old in 1994-1995.

I love c. 1986 myself, I felt that way around 1998 too.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/28/06 at 7:41 pm

It's just that some people have preconceived ideas that a kid (or anyone else for that matter) is "supposed" to act/feel/think a certain way just because of their age, for instance. And anyone who deviates from that so-called "typical" image is somehow different or weird, because they're not able to look at some things with more of an open mind. THAT's what I was saying was silly -- by no means was that an insult towards you or your parents, gosh no!!

There's some truth to this, though.  If I knew a 9 year old who smoked, or a 12 year old who was sexually active.....that's different and weird and deviates from what "typical" 9 and 12 year olds do.  Kids are supposed to be/act like kids, not adults.  There's some aspects of adulthood that are okay for children to emulate.....reading more advanced books, maybe watching the news with their parents, taking an interest in a parent's hobby....stuff like that.  Then there are other facets of adulthood that children are not supposed to emulate.  I don't expect an 8 year old to act like a 16 year old and if they do, then something is wrong.  

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:47 pm

There's some truth to this, though.  If I knew a 9 year old who smoked, or a 12 year old who was sexually active.....that's different and weird and deviates from what "typical" 9 and 12 year olds do.  Kids are supposed to be/act like kids, not adults.  There's some aspects of adulthood that are okay for children to emulate.....reading more advanced books, maybe watching the news with their parents, taking an interest in a parent's hobby....stuff like that.  Then there are other facets of adulthood that children are not supposed to emulate.  I don't expect an 8 year old to act like a 16 year old and if they do, then something is wrong.  

Well that, I totally agree with. If we're talking about smoking or especially something like having sex (that's very serious, and of course NO 12 year old should be doing that!). That's no longer personality traits or interest, but action.

I guess I'm more talking from my own experiences as a kid, like when some teacher or other "adult" would act surprised when I was really into the current pop music when I was 7, or would say I shouldn't be concerned with something because I should "just be a kid". I remember thinking it wasn't fair, like are you saying I shouldn't be smart and should be content with the playground.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/28/06 at 7:49 pm

I guess I'm more talking from my own experiences as a kid, like when some teacher or other "adult" would act surprised when I was really into the current pop music when I was 7, or would say I shouldn't be concerned with something because I should "just be a kid". I remember thinking it wasn't fair, like are you saying I shouldn't be smart and should be content with the playground.

I got that a lot when I was more interested in (and I still am) oldies and classic rock music, than what was current on the radio at the time.  I listened to enough Top 40 radio, but I grew up listening to what my parents listened to, so that's where my tastes have always been.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/28/06 at 7:57 pm

I'd love to go back of course, as much as I try to enjoy the present, my totally worry free young childhood days of the early-mid '90s were great. It seems like a distant different world now.

Thats how I feel. The changes happened all under my nose. Its only been the last year or so I've really begun to realise just how much has changed since 1994 or 1995. I think we grew up in a time of change. We were the last group of kids old enough to remember VHS, cassettes, no internet(well, it wasn't common- I mean I didn't even know anyone who had it until about 1996 and even then it was 2000 before I got online), the old style movie theaters, arcades, 2D home consoles, Looney Tunes instead of all the weird cartoons and anime the kids watch today...

Its like I can remember these things, but my memories from a kid are a different kind of perspective. The way you see things as a kid is the way you see things as an adult. So I have this nostalgia for these things, and have this desire to experience them with the perspective I have now- but its just out of reach. All I have is the memories of it from when I was a kid.

Well that, I totally agree with. If we're talking about smoking or especially something like having sex (that's very serious, and of course NO 12 year old should be doing that!). That's no longer personality traits or interest, but action.

I see where you're coming from, but it does happen though. Lots of people have very UNsheltered childhoods. Oftentimes its related to socioeconomic class. I knew this kid in the 7th grade who was from Alabama, and his family were what some would call "white trash" and he said where he came from in Alabama it wasn't that uncommon for kids to start doing things like smoking at a very young age, such as 10 or 11. Sometimes younger than that even.

My own older brother lost his virginity a month or two before he turned 13. You have to look at his circumstances though. It was the late 80s/early 90s period, and that was a time during an economic downturn where things like adolescent drug use and gang violence were a very big problem in metro areas, and we lived in Dallas. I don't mean Plano or Arlington, but Dallas itself. Inner city. Also he was a skater and that sub-culture at that time, in that place, lent itself to things like that. Being a skater punk wasn't just a fad/fashion statement in the burbs at that time, there was an actual sub-culture that WAS kinda deliquent in urban areas.  Also the fact that many of his friends were older. The girl he had sex with was older, 16 I believe.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 7:58 pm

I got that a lot when I was more interested in (and I still am) oldies and classic rock music, than what was current on the radio at the time.  I listened to enough Top 40 radio, but I grew up listening to what my parents listened to, so that's where my tastes have always been.

Yeah, same here. Not even just '80s music (1979-1996 is like "my time" musically), but I listened to alot of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Motown and stuff growing up too, so by the time I realized it was older, I didn't care and just liked it for what it was.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/28/06 at 8:00 pm

Thats how I feel. The changes happened all under my nose. Its only been the last year or so I've really begun to realise just how much has changed since 1994 or 1995. I think we grew up in a time of change. We were the last group of kids old enough to remember VHS, cassettes, no internet(well, it wasn't common- I mean I didn't even know anyone who had it until about 1996 and even then it was 2000 before I got online), the old style movie theaters, arcades, 2D home consoles, Looney Tunes instead of all the weird cartoons and anime the kids watch today...

Its like I can remember these things, but my memories from a kid are a different kind of perspective. The way you see things as a kid is the way you see things as an adult. So I have this nostalgia for these things, and have this desire to experience them with the perspective I have now- but its just out of reach. All I have is the memories of it from when I was a kid.

I see where you're coming from, but it does happen though. Lots of people have very UNsheltered childhoods. Oftentimes its related to socioeconomic class. I knew this kid in the 7th grade who was from Alabama, and his family were what some would call "white trash" and he said where he came from in Alabama it wasn't that uncommon for kids to start doing things like smoking at a very young age, such as 10 or 11. Sometimes younger than that even.

My own older brother lost his virginity a month or two before he turned 13. You have to look at his circumstances though. It was the late 80s/early 90s period, and that was a time during an economic downturn where things like adolescent drug use and gang violence were a very big problem in metro areas, and we lived in Dallas. I don't mean Plano or Arlington, but Dallas itself. Inner city. Also he was a skater and that sub-culture at that time, in that place, lent itself to things like that. Being a skater punk wasn't just a fad/fashion statement in the burbs at that time, there was an actual sub-culture that WAS kinda deliquent in urban areas.  Also the fact that many of his friends were older. The girl he had sex with was older, 16 I believe.

You are SO true. I'm part of the late '80s very early '90s born babies (Me 1989) and I know what you mean. We're probably like the last generation to be a part of the old school stuff. I have a DVD player, but I still watch videos.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:01 pm

Well said. :)

I think people born in the early '90s will be the last to truly remember alot of these things. Like if you were 6 or older before the Internet started really taking off c. 1997.

Yeah, I heard about stuff like this on the news, or shows like Dateline alot in the '90s. Even talk shows, which, like I've said before, I always enjoyed. I think by the time I was 14, there wasn't much about the world that could shock me anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/28/06 at 10:54 pm

Yeah, I missed my early childhood by the time I was 13, and missed my later Elementary school years once I was in high school. That'll definitely do it to ya. ;) Although I now find myself softened on the late '90s and even early '00s in the same way.

Many people on here (myself included) have said this sorta thing before, but I firmly believe 1996 was the last true "old school" year. I mean, I think if someone from the '80s took a time machine to some point in the future, that's the last year they'd probably feel completely "at home" with everyday technology and things like that. For basically the reasons you said.

I'm not saying 1996 WAS the '80s. Not at all. But it still was somewhat before the Internet was a household thing. Pagers outnumbered cellphones, there were arcades in malls, VHS and audio tapes were popular (a little past their peak, but still very common).

Both the 1980s and 2000s are very distinct in terms of tech. I just realized there's not that much "90s tech" - in other words, stuff that originated then and is tied to the era. It's really more a mix of '80s and '00s tech. And the line is just about at 1997. Anything before then was almost like advanced '80s technology.

P.S. I've always thought the 1996 to '97 change was a big one. But maybe it's partially biased from my personal experience. I started high school in the Fall of '96, had just moved to San Jose (where I've lived ever since) and was 14 going on 15. All that is pretty changeful in itself, too.

Yeah, 1996 is the last fully "old school" year. I've heard alot of people say that grunge "died" in 1997(i.e. Soundgarden broke up) and '97 was the year that teen pop sort of exploded onto the scene. I also agree with you on the tech of '96. 1997 was the year that VHS began to be fazed out by DVD, even though it would take a few years for it to really happen.

And in answer to the question I prefer the 1st half 8)

Written By: audkal on 09/28/06 at 11:07 pm

That I can totally relate with.  When I was 9/10 I was into Pokemon but probably didn't admit it to many people.....while at the same time I was into WWF wrestling, which I could admit to many people that I liked it.

Or other occasions like if I watched Air Bud my dad would say "that's such a baby show", and a lot of times he yelled at us if we wanted to watch cartoons on weekday mornings (because he wanted to watch the news).....yet if I suggested to watch like National Geographic or Forrest Gump (which I actually liked when I was like 6), he'd be like "yeah let's watch it!"

At the time I probably tried to act older.....now I watch late 80s-mid 90s cartoons sometimes, yeah my dad will still make fun of me, but I don't care, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/28/06 at 11:16 pm

I love c. 1986 myself, I felt that way around 1998 too.

I agree with both you guys. Even though I sometimes get nostalgic for the late '90s, the period that i'm often most nostalgic about is when I was 4/5('91/'92). I figure it must be because that's the time that I have my first 'concrete' memoires from.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 11:34 pm

That I can totally relate with.  When I was 9/10 I was into Pokemon but probably didn't admit it to many people.....while at the same time I was into WWF wrestling, which I could admit to many people that I liked it.

Or other occasions like if I watched Air Bud my dad would say "that's such a baby show", and a lot of times he yelled at us if we wanted to watch cartoons on weekday mornings (because he wanted to watch the news).....yet if I suggested to watch like National Geographic or Forrest Gump (which I actually liked when I was like 6), he'd be like "yeah let's watch it!"

At the time I probably tried to act older.....now I watch late 80s-mid 90s cartoons sometimes, yeah my dad will still make fun of me, but I don't care, lol.

Did he just give you a hard time because he didn't want to watch cartoons? lol.

Yeah, there were alot of Disney movies in 1994 that I liked, but pretended I was too cool/too old to enjoy publically. I guess it takes becoming 15 or 16 before most people are comfortable enough to enjoy kid stuff, since by then it's a few years away. Even at 12 you're still "on the edge" of it (although I think the rise of animated shows like The Simpsons has kinda quelled the stereotype of cartoons as purely "little kid stuff").

P.S. It's ironic that in my 9-14 years, I wanted to be treated older, even if like I said, actually doing "older stuff" that most people find cool as in their teens/20s doesn't really appeal to me. Like, I never wanted to smoke or anything.

Written By: audkal on 09/28/06 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, there were alot of Disney movies in 1994 that I liked, but pretended I was too cool/too old to enjoy publically. I guess it takes becoming 15 or 16 before most people are comfortable enough to enjoy kid stuff, since by then it's a few years away. Even at 12 you're still "on the edge" of it (although I think the rise of animated shows like The Simpsons has kinda quelled the stereotype of cartoons as purely "little kid stuff").

P.S. It's ironic that in my 9-14 years, I wanted to be treated older, even if like I said, actually doing "older stuff" that most people find cool as in their teens/20s doesn't really appeal to me. Like, I never wanted to smoke or anything.

I think it was mostly because he didn't like cartoons yes, lol. 

I agree with the not wanting to smoke and stuff.  To me it seems pretty immature if you're going to smoke/drink/have sex just to feel like you're older.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 11:50 pm

I think it was mostly because he didn't like cartoons yes, lol. 

I agree with the not wanting to smoke and stuff.  To me it seems pretty immature if you're going to smoke/drink/have sex just to feel like you're older.

Yeah, or just to "be rebellous". I was cool with other people doing it (even if it's not my thing), I always had friends who did. I just didn't like the idea that some people felt you were weird if you abstained from sex, etc.

P.S. I liked Forrest Gump the first time I saw it as well. The same guy who directed Back to the Future, Robert Zemeckis, did it too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/28/06 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, I was about 16 or 17 before I started to not get embarrassed about watching cartoons, playing video games, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, I was about 16 or 17 before I started to not get embarrassed about watching cartoons, playing video games, etc.

Oddly, I think video games are the one thing I always stuck with, besides music. I liked the NES too much. ;) But, I think by 1991 or so, people knew video games were here to stay and were expanding in how they were.

Written By: rich1981 on 09/29/06 at 1:04 am

Call me crazy but I've had nostalgia as early as 9 years old, because it was the first year I experienced cox cable and the NES which was a big change from listening to cassette tapes and watching standard TV plus I only played video games at the arcade up to that point.

On the subject of the 90's though, I went through a major change in summer of 1995 when I turned 14. This was the year I finally grew up and took preparing for adulthood more seriously, that as a matter of fact suddenly made me feel guilty playing video games and watching cartoons all the time. In other words, my 15 year old self wouldn't get along too well with my 13 year old self if you know what I mean. I did enjoy high school however, but more so in the fact that I was looking forward to going to college and planning my career as opposed to getting excited for the upcoming video games. Therefore I'd be more inclined to travel back to 1994 than 1997.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/29/06 at 5:10 am

First half. The late 90's feel too "now", for me to feel all that nostalgic about. Also, as much as I love DVDs, I was much more naturally passionate about movies, during the VHS days.

Written By: audkal on 09/29/06 at 10:58 am

I just didn't like the idea that some people felt you were weird if you abstained from sex, etc.

Yes, a lot of people do unfortunately, which makes me wonder, what's wrong with society?

Call me crazy but I've had nostalgia as early as 9 years old, because it was the first year I experienced cox cable and the NES which was a big change from listening to cassette tapes and watching standard TV plus I only played video games at the arcade up to that point.

On the subject of the 90's though, I went through a major change in summer of 1995 when I turned 14. This was the year I finally grew up and took preparing for adulthood more seriously, that as a matter of fact suddenly made me feel guilty playing video games and watching cartoons all the time. In other words, my 15 year old self wouldn't get along too well with my 13 year old self if you know what I mean. I did enjoy high school however, but more so in the fact that I was looking forward to going to college and planning my career as opposed to getting excited for the upcoming video games. Therefore I'd be more inclined to travel back to 1994 than 1997.

Actually sometimes in like the late 90s if I heard a song that I liked from the mid-90s I would think "Man, this is so much memories!"  It seemed like ages ago but it was only a couple years at the time.

If I could go back I would go to '93-'97.

P.S.  Does anyone use the term I put in red?  Most people say "Wow, this brings back so many memories".  Though in my family we'll just say "Whoa, super memories", lol.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/29/06 at 1:20 pm

I remember getting my first DVD player on my 10th birthday on November 27, 1999. My first DVD's were The Iron Giant and Bean the Movie. DVD's are awesome, but something about VCR's and VHS that just get my gears turning.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/29/06 at 6:27 pm

It was Christmas 2002 before I owned my first DVD.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 6:28 pm

I got my first DVD a little before Christmas in 2002.  How ironic. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/29/06 at 6:35 pm

[quote author=

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/30/06 at 1:10 am

Oddly, I think video games are the one thing I always stuck with, besides music. I liked the NES too much. ;) But, I think by 1991 or so, people knew video games were here to stay and were expanding in how they were.

Yeah, I've been playing video games since I was about 5 years old, but there was a time(when I was about 13 or 14)where I worried that playing video games might make me look 'childish' at a time that I desperately wanted to be perceived as 'older'.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/30/06 at 1:15 am

I sort of got a DVD player when I got my Playstation 2 in 2001, but I didn't get an actual DVD player until 2003. The first DVD I ever got was The Mask in 2001.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/30/06 at 1:50 am

I got my first DVD player sometime around 1999, I know it was around Christmas, I'm thinking it was Christmas 1998. The picture was nice but the player had skipping problems even on new discs, this was common back then with DVDs which led us to return the unit lol. I also had a notebook with a DVD player which I got in September 1999. DVD is great, but even it is getting outdated now, blu-ray/hd-dvd are already in stores.

Written By: 90skid on 10/01/06 at 1:48 am

i completely agree with you on the fact that 96 was the last year before technology started to rapidly take off and everything became a little less simple. i was in grade 8 and 9 in 96 and i never even had a computer nor was it really expected for us to use them all that much. maybe the whole transition from elemnatry to high school is what makes us feel this way, i dont know, but you still make a good point. that 79-83? generation is the one that still clearly remembers when the internet, cellphones, dvd's etc.... were not a big part of our lives. know a days i cant even fucntion properly as human being without the net.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/01/06 at 7:19 am

I got my first DVD player, December 26, 2000.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/01/06 at 12:58 pm

I agree with most of you. 1996 was the last down-home, honest to goodness, old school year.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/06 at 9:25 pm

Ironically I found my first DVD player -- in a dumpster in my apartment complex back in '03! No joke. :D Just a simple, no frills, kinda bottom of the line one, but it worked great. I gave it to a friend from work last year, but I still can't believe someone (almost) threw it away!

Since then, I've slowly built up my DVD collection, but I'll always keep my VHS and VCRs.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/01/06 at 9:32 pm

Ironically I found my first DVD player -- in a dumpster in my apartment complex back in '03! No joke. :D Just a simple, no frills, kinda bottom of the line one, but it worked great. I gave it to a friend from work last year, but I still can't believe someone (almost) threw it away!

Since then, I've slowly built up my DVD collection, but I'll always keep my VHS and VCRs.

Whoa! So you found a DVD player in a dumpster? Now that's cool, yet weird. Like you, I'm always going to keep my VHS and VCRs. However, I've been trying to convert some of my favorite video tapes (Like home videos of me as a baby) to DVD's. I've heard DVD's last longer.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/06 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, I've been playing video games since I was about 5 years old, but there was a time(when I was about 13 or 14)where I worried that playing video games might make me look 'childish' at a time that I desperately wanted to be perceived as 'older'.

Yeah, 13 and 14 was definitely the peak of my "not wanting to be associated with being a kid" years, too. Ironically, that's not why I stopped playing NES for awhile. It was more because by the end of 1994/beginning of '95, NES was pretty much dead as far as new games (although still popular in terms of people playing).

I'd subscribed to Nintendo Power magazine for 6 years, and decided not to renew it that year. I was also busier by then, at 13 than I'd been at 7 or 8, so I didn't really have time to learn the newer ones as much.

That reminds me of a funny story actually:

Around mid '95, this kid in my neighborhood I was sorta friends with, asked if I wanted to come over and play Sega Genesis with him (which I never had before). I think I was busy so I said "Oh yeah, dude, maybe next time". Turns out we moved about two weeks later, and that'd been the last time I saw him.

About 3 years later, I (by total coincidence) ran into that guy when I was back in that area, and while we were talking, I remembered this and said "Hey, I'm ready to play that Sega now!". ;D Of course I had to remind him what I was talking about, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/06 at 9:40 pm

Whoa! So you found a DVD player in a dumpster? Now that's cool, yet weird. Like you, I'm always going to keep my VHS and VCRs. However, I've been trying to convert some of my favorite video tapes (Like home videos of me as a baby) to DVD's. I've heard DVD's last longer.

Yeah, when I have a spare $200 or so, I plan on getting a VHS to DVD burner, too. I want some of my old home movies, or things I recorded in the '90s off TV to last for life.

I was VERY surprised to see that player in the dumpster. I hauled it upstairs just out of curiousity, thinking it had to be broken. It was a pleasnt shock to see it worked fine. I'll bet it was somebody who got a home theatre system or something and just decided to do away with it. Still, that's careless to throw it out (lucky for me, though!). ;)

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/01/06 at 9:54 pm

Yeah, when I have a spare $200 or so, I plan on getting a VHS to DVD burner, too. I want some of my old home movies, or things I recorded in the '90s off TV to last for life.

I was VERY surprised to see that player in the dumpster. I hauled it upstairs just out of curiousity, thinking it had to be broken. It was a pleasnt shock to see it worked fine. I'll bet it was somebody who got a home theatre system or something and just decided to do away with it. Still, that's careless to throw it out (lucky for me, though!). ;)

Well what I usually use is a USB Dazzle Video Creator to transfer the video to my computer and burn it to a DVD from the computer. I have this Rugrats marathon tape that I recorded on my 5th birthday on November 27, 1994. It has many retro '90s commercials on it. Well I used that Dazzle USB and I transfered my favorite commercials onto the computer/DVD. It also comes in handy if I'm on the computer and the '90s nostalgia bug bites me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/06 at 10:10 pm

Yes, a lot of people do unfortunately, which makes me wonder, what's wrong with society?

I agree. It's a little sad, but I believe it's just that some people can't see past either their own points of view, or what's generally considered "typical". For instance, I've had friends who flat out don't believe me when I say I'd rather have a girlfriend just to have one (i.e. for friendship, dating, etc and not sex), or think I'm supposed to want to go to strip clubs just 'cause I'm a guy.

I'm not a total prude or anything, but I've always sorta resented stereotypes like that.

Actually sometimes in like the late 90s if I heard a song that I liked from the mid-90s I would think "Man, this is so much memories!"  It seemed like ages ago but it was only a couple years at the time.

If I could go back I would go to '93-'97.

P.S.  Does anyone use the term I put in red?  Most people say "Wow, this brings back so many memories".  Though in my family we'll just say "Whoa, super memories", lol.

I think I have actually, lol. Or I say "This is like old times".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/02/06 at 1:42 am

Yeah, 13 and 14 was definitely the peak of my "not wanting to be associated with being a kid" years, too. Ironically, that's not why I stopped playing NES for awhile. It was more because by the end of 1994/beginning of '95, NES was pretty much dead as far as new games (although still popular in terms of people playing).

I'd subscribed to Nintendo Power magazine for 6 years, and decided not to renew it that year. I was also busier by then, at 13 than I'd been at 7 or 8, so I didn't really have time to learn the newer ones as much.

That reminds me of a funny story actually:

Around mid '95, this kid in my neighborhood I was sorta friends with, asked if I wanted to come over and play Sega Genesis with him (which I never had before). I think I was busy so I said "Oh yeah, dude, maybe next time". Turns out we moved about two weeks later, and that'd been the last time I saw him.

About 3 years later, I (by total coincidence) ran into that guy when I was back in that area, and while we were talking, I remembered this and said "Hey, I'm ready to play that Sega now!". ;D Of course I had to remind him what I was talking about, lol.

Funny story Marty ;D. To bad you guys didn't go over to his place and finally play the Geneisis ;). I think the last NES games came out in 1994 but it had been a couple of years since the system had produced any must have games(mostly due to the 16-bit systems coming out).

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/06 at 5:44 am

Funny story Marty ;D. To bad you guys didn't go over to his place and finally play the Geneisis ;). I think the last NES games came out in 1994 but it had been a couple of years since the system had produced any must have games(mostly due to the 16-bit systems coming out).

By then, he'd long since stopped playing it, but that would've been pretty ironic, wouldn't it? ;)

I actually have some of my old Nintendo Power's on the bookshelf, I'll look at 'em again, but yeah, I believe 1994 was the first year there was a serious decline in 8-bit Nintendo.

Even as it was all going on, I found the gradual switch from NES to Super NES and Game Boy to be really interesting. In one of the 1992 issues of NP, for instance, it mentiones the original Legend of Zelda from '87, still being on the Top 30 charts while NES games were still a decently big draw. I remember thinking that was cool in an "old time comforting" way.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/03/06 at 1:26 am

By then, he'd long since stopped playing it, but that would've been pretty ironic, wouldn't it? ;)

I actually have some of my old Nintendo Power's on the bookshelf, I'll look at 'em again, but yeah, I believe 1994 was the first year there was a serious decline in 8-bit Nintendo.

Even as it was all going on, I found the gradual switch from NES to Super NES and Game Boy to be really interesting. In one of the 1992 issues of NP, for instance, it mentiones the original Legend of Zelda from '87, still being on the Top 30 charts while NES games were still a decently big draw. I remember thinking that was cool in an "old time comforting" way.

I wouldn't have figured that the original LoZ would've still been on the charts 5 years later, that's pretty neat. I never could figure out why the NES remained popular 5 or more years after its successor came out whereas most systems(for example the PS1) had faded out within a year. If anything it may be because of the huge popularity of the NES in the mid/late '80s, and it just took it longer to lose popularity.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/04/06 at 8:41 pm

I couldn't figure out where else to put this, but...

I was going through the Internet Wayback machine and I took a look at the inthe00s '90s messageboard from November 2004. IMO, I noticed that there seems to be more respect for the '90s in 2006 than there was in 2004. '90s nostalgia has come a long way folks, and I like it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/05/06 at 12:36 am

I was going through the Internet Wayback machine and I took a look at the inthe00s '90s messageboard from November 2004. IMO, I noticed that there seems to be more respect for the '90s in 2006 than there was in 2004. '90s nostalgia has come a long way folks, and I like it.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it's because there's more mid-late '80s/early '90s born members here now than there were then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/05/06 at 6:10 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too - just from posts on here (and other boards) as well as conversations I've had where it's come up. I think the '90s were just too recent/to similar until a year ago or so for the masses to feel a difference. While I love the '90s, especially pre1997, I have mixed feelings on it. The idea that more people like it/are nostalgic for it (me included) means it "feels" further away. :(

It's in that weird period of what I'd call "pre-nostalgia" where they're still a bit too new to come back, but just old enough to where people are openly cool with them, and younger people not around then can become new fans of things around at the time, too.

This happened with the '80s in, like 1997-2000 (i.e. think movies like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion which seemed to paint the '80s in a "fun" light, even if it was mostly set in the then-present of '97). Whereas just a few years earlier in 1994, they were PURE cheese.

While the '90s never shifted as hard and probably never will become "hated" or cheesy, people do like them more now that even 1999 is 7 years back.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/06/06 at 1:21 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too - just from posts on here (and other boards) as well as conversations I've had where it's come up. I think the '90s were just too recent/to similar until a year ago or so for the masses to feel a difference. While I love the '90s, especially pre1997, I have mixed feelings on it. The idea that more people like it/are nostalgic for it (me included) means it "feels" further away. :(

It's in that weird period of what I'd call "pre-nostalgia" where they're still a bit too new to come back, but just old enough to where people are openly cool with them, and younger people not around then can become new fans of things around at the time, too.

This happened with the '80s in, like 1997-2000 (i.e. think movies like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion which seemed to paint the '80s in a "fun" light, even if it was mostly set in the then-present of '97). Whereas just a few years earlier in 1994, they were PURE cheese.

While the '90s never shifted as hard and probably never will become "hated" or cheesy, people do like them more now that even 1999 is 7 years back.

Yeah, I agree. The '90s is in sort of a "pre-nostalgia" phase now. It'll probably be another 6 or so years before any "real" '90s nostalgia begins. I would imagine that the '90s will continue to become more "retro" as those too young to really remember the '90s(born '96+) continue to come of age.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, I agree. The '90s is in sort of a "pre-nostalgia" phase now. It'll probably be another 6 or so years before any "real" '90s nostalgia begins. I would imagine that the '90s will continue to become more "retro" as those too young to really remember the '90s(born '96+) continue to come of age.

Makes sense. I think any era pretty much stops being "cheesy" (at least overall) when you get to where teens can't remember it at all (and can't really make fun of it out of their own memories). That'll start happening when the 1996ers are 13 in 2009, and around 2012 when they're 16 it'll be even more noticeable. I bet early '90s nostalgia especially will pick up then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/06/06 at 8:46 pm

Makes sense. I think any era pretty much stops being "cheesy" (at least overall) when you get to where teens can't remember it at all (and can't really make fun of it out of their own memories). That'll start happening when the 1996ers are 13 in 2009, and around 2012 when they're 16 it'll be even more noticeable. I bet early '90s nostalgia especially will pick up then.

Yeah, I think it'll be at least 2012 before '90s nostalgia becomes really noticeable. I mean late '80s nostalgia hasn't really even started. I'd say by about 2008 the "1989ish" stuff will become fully retro. The return of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. I can hardly wait ;D

Written By: Hakkinen on 10/09/06 at 7:53 am

Thats a tough one. I kind of look back fondly at various parts of the 90s. The periods that define the 90s most for me are:

1990-1991
1993-1995
1998-1999

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/09/06 at 1:15 pm

Thats a tough one. I kind of look back fondly at various parts of the 90s. The periods that define the 90s most for me are:

1990-1991
1993-1995
1998-1999

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/09/06 at 6:21 pm

1990-1991
1993-1995
1998-1999

I'd say the period that defines the '90s the most for me would be about 1993-1996.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/09/06 at 6:47 pm

I'd say the period that defines the '90s the most for me would be about 1993-1996.

Yes, me too.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/11/06 at 9:36 pm

Even though my life was best in the late '90s (in many ways, it was just a more primitive version of my current life), I like the pop culture of 1990-'94, and personal memories of 1991-'96 or so.

Written By: rich1981 on 10/11/06 at 10:00 pm

^ Same here, though personally 1997/8 was the bridge between my simpler, laid back times and the studious/college preparation days.

Written By: Dukefan on 10/16/06 at 8:26 pm

I love the early/mid 90s, but I don't care for roughly 1997-1999.  Not bad years for me personally, I just don't like pop culture of that era. 

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/16/06 at 8:54 pm

I love the early/mid 90s, but I don't care for roughly 1997-1999.  Not bad years for me personally, I just don't like pop culture of that era. 

I feel the exact same way. The early and mid '90s were hands-down the best parts of the '90s. The late '90s were good, but they just don't have that feel the early and mid '90s have.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/06 at 9:06 pm

1997 and 1998 I think were pretty good pop culture years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/16/06 at 9:10 pm

I feel the exact same way. The early and mid '90s were hands-down the best parts of the '90s. The late '90s were good, but they just don't have that feel the early and mid '90s have.

The late '90s are in that weird "in between" stage for me personally: far enough away to miss them a little bit, but too recent to be that different from today (the way, say 1994 is).

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/16/06 at 9:14 pm

The late '90s are in that weird "in between" stage for me personally: far enough away to miss them a little bit, but too recent to be that different from today (the way, say 1994 is).

Me too. The late '90s were a transition from the '90s to the '00s. When it comes to nostalgia, I usually go no further than 1997.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/06 at 9:14 pm

yeah that's true, 1998 still feels like the "modern world" to me even though it is old, while 1993 seems like a different era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/16/06 at 9:35 pm

yeah that's true, 1998 still feels like the "modern world" to me even though it is old, while 1993 seems like a different era.

Definitely. I think because of the 'Net and primitive digital technology, it's gonna take awhile for anything starting in 1997 to look even remotely "old". It already looks older and alot of things from then are dated (i.e. Backstreet Boys, or Jerry Springer being controversial, lol), but it's definitely still modern too. I'll bet if I got beamed back to '98 in, let's say a city I wasn't familar with, it would take me awhile to realize it. But I'd definitely know it was 1992.

Written By: analogue on 11/19/06 at 5:47 pm

I do prefer the first half of the 90's but now looking back on it the second half wasn't that bas either sure you had some crappy boybands coming out but apart from that it was a fun time for me

Written By: tv on 11/27/06 at 8:47 pm

I liked 1994-1996 musically. 1997 and 1998 were ok but 1999 was kinda terrible. I really consider 1994-1998 my time musically if you will especially 1994-1996. Britney Spears really made me feel old when she came onto the music scence and I was only 18 or 19 when she first bolted on to the music scene. I don;t hate 00's music but 1999-2000 was so different musically from 1994-1998 that it was a huge change to me. I mean 1999 was so far departed from 1994 it was just a drastic change sort of like 1992 was a drastic change from 1987 or 1988.

In my opinion teen-op was so big in 1999-2000 because the economy was so healthly and everybody was buying new cars left and right. I guess you could say the mood of the music refelected the mood of the country(the US at the time) with the econmomy being so healthy. 

Written By: tnf on 12/26/06 at 11:25 am

My feelings...

1990 - 1994: Really nostalgic. And if you were a woman, you was allowed to wear a simple jeans with a wide t-shirt. Fashion wasn't developed like it is now.
1995 - 1996: Still nostalgic. But suddenly, computer stuff became a lot more modern and fashion changed a lot. Looks got more important (especially if you are a woman). Everything seemed to became more 'perfect', especially graphic design. I mean... Compare early 90s magazines and cd covers with 1995 / 1996 magazines and cd covers, and see the difference.
1997 - 2000: This period feels like a undefinable bridge between the past and now. Internet became huge, and such things. But it was less developed in comparision with the present. Not my favorite era, very teenybopperish and a lot of things looked/sounded TOO perfect and smooth. Maybe because of the good economy.
2001 - now: The present time. The beginning of fashion, music and pop culture like we see / hear nowadays. Especially if you are talking about eclectic styles.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/26/06 at 2:40 pm

My feelings...

1990 - 1994: Really nostalgic. And if you were a woman, you was allowed to wear a simple jeans with a wide t-shirt. Fashion wasn't developed like it is now.
1995 - 1996: Still nostalgic. But suddenly, computer stuff became a lot more modern and fashion changed a lot. Looks got more important (especially if you are a woman). Everything seemed to became more 'perfect', especially graphic design. I mean... Compare early 90s magazines and cd covers with 1995 / 1996 magazines and cd covers, and see the difference.
1997 - 2000: This period feels like a undefinable bridge between the past and now. Internet became huge, and such things. But it was less developed in comparision with the present. Not my favorite era, very teenybopperish and a lot of things looked/sounded TOO perfect and smooth. Maybe because of the good economy.
2001 - now: The present time. The beginning of fashion, music and pop culture like we see / hear nowadays. Especially if you are talking about eclectic styles.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this. I'm still mostly nostalgic for the early '90s, but over time i've started to become more nostalgic for the mid '90s, and recently even the late '90s.

Written By: cushlinkes on 12/26/06 at 2:49 pm

there were arcades in malls

There are still arcades in malls... at least where I live.  There are 3 big malls in my area, all with arcades.

Written By: nally on 12/26/06 at 2:56 pm

There are still arcades in malls... at least where I live.  There are 3 big malls in my area, all with arcades.

I'm not sure that there are still any in the L.A. area and vicinity...but I know there were in the 90's. From 1990 to about 1996, there was one called 'Time Out' in the West Covina Fashion Plaza mall, in West Covina (about 15 to 20 miles east of Los Angeles). By mid-1996 it was gone.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/26/06 at 3:28 pm

My feelings...

Yeah, that sounds about right. Although, I'd extend the 1990-1994 period to about the first half of 1995. The Internet didn't get popular till the second half of 1995 I think.

Written By: KKay on 12/26/06 at 3:39 pm

I feel the halves were the same.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/06 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, that sounds about right. Although, I'd extend the 1990-1994 period to about the first half of 1995. The Internet didn't get popular till the second half of 1995 I think.

Yeah, late 1995 was when I first started seeing the "WWW" tacked onto commercials, and when the term "Internet" started becoming a household word.

I remember it was called the Information Superhighway before this, lol. I vaguely knew what it was, but like I said, it wasn't until the second half of 1995 that I firmly started to be familarized with the Internet. Although it didn't really explode until late 1996/early 1997, and it was 1999 before almost everyone had an Email address. 2001 is when it became essential to basically the point it is now (although it was getting close in the late '90s).

Written By: Brian06 on 12/26/06 at 8:44 pm

Yeah, late 1995 was when I first started seeing the "WWW" tacked onto commercials, and when the term "Internet" started becoming a household word.

I remember it was called the Information Superhighway before this, lol. I vaguely knew what it was, but like I said, it wasn't until the second half of 1995 that I firmly started to be familarized with the Internet. Although it didn't really explode until late 1996/early 1997, and it was 1999 before almost everyone had an Email address. 2001 is when it became essential to basically the point it is now (although it was getting close in the late '90s).

That's funny because that's about the exact time that I first went online, around the end of 1995.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/06 at 8:46 pm

That's funny because that's about the exact time that I first went online, around the end of 1995.

You beat me, my first time was around July or August of '96.

Do you recall what you first did online? I think I searched for how many McDonalds were in San Jose, lol.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/26/06 at 8:49 pm

You beat me, my first time was around July or August of '96.

Do you recall what you first did online? I think I searched for how many McDonalds were in San Jose, lol.

I remember the first e-mail I sent and I misspelled "aol" as "alo", LOL.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/26/06 at 9:15 pm

We got our first computer in December of 1995, but I don't think we got online until sometime in early 1996. We had AOL and I don't think we got on any websites. We just hung around the AOL Channels.

Written By: nally on 12/27/06 at 12:46 am

That's about right...it was around that time when I began hearing terms like "email" and ".com" and things like that on a regular basis.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/27/06 at 3:23 am

My feelings...

I don't want to defend early 90s fashion, there's a lot of horrible things there, but you do realize that women's jeans today are an outgrowth of the 70's bellbottom style.  Most people still wore tight, form fitting jeans in the early 90s, much like the 80s, but the style from later in the 90s and 00s would have looked dated and very 70ish back around 1992.  The woman's jeans style look of today seems very current, modern and normal today because it's been around for years and years now and has uncanny staying power like a lot of late 90s fashions into the '00s.  But if a typical girl/young woman from 2002 traveled to 1992, many people would think she must be dressing 70s for some reason, they wouldn't think "oh wow you obviously came from the future". 

When that style returned in the 90s, I remember some people were aghast by the whole thing, especially if you were raised to hate everything 70s.  Again I don't want to defend the many campy styles of the early 90s, but when something becomes current it just has a way of altering perceptions. 

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 7:47 pm

My favorite part of the 90s in all is probably 1993-1998, 1999 was alright as well, better than the early '90s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/27/06 at 9:21 pm

My favorite part of the 90s in all is probably 1993-1998, 1999 was alright as well, better than the early '90s.

My favorite part is almost the same as your's, although I go from 1993-1997. The first half of 1998 maybe, but that's sorta pushing it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/06 at 11:36 pm

My favorite part is almost the same as your's, although I go from 1993-1997. The first half of 1998 maybe, but that's sorta pushing it.

I think mine would actually be 1992-1999. Over time the late '90s have really started to grown on me. There was a time when I really didnt care much for anything after about 1997, but now I'm actually starting to get a little nostalgic for 1999/2000.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 11:38 pm

I think mine would actually be 1992-1999. Over time the late '90s have really started to grown on me. There was a time when I really didnt care much for anything after about 1997, but now I'm actually starting to get a little nostalgic for 1999/2000.

Yeah the late 90s were good I think.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/28/06 at 3:53 pm

I'm not sure that there are still any in the L.A. area and vicinity...but I know there were in the 90's. From 1990 to about 1996, there was one called 'Time Out' in the West Covina Fashion Plaza mall, in West Covina (about 15 to 20 miles east of Los Angeles). By mid-1996 it was gone.

In 1989, when the Brenden 8 Theatres opened, it use to have arcades in the snack area and that use to be a hot spot. Sometimes the kids would just go to the theatre to play the arcade. Now, that arcade area is no longer in use.

Written By: nally on 12/28/06 at 7:08 pm

In 1989, when the Brenden 8 Theatres opened, it use to have arcades in the snack area and that use to be a hot spot. Sometimes the kids would just go to the theatre to play the arcade. Now, that arcade area is no longer in use.

Where is this? ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/28/06 at 11:53 pm

The movie theatre across the street from my townhouse (which was upgraded from a Twinplex to a 5-screen back in 2003) still has a mini arcade, as do alot of other theatres. Ironically, they're the only places that seem relatively unchanged in that regard. I suppose, so people have something quick to do before the movie starts, but not really to "hang out" hang out.

I remember in the '80s and first half of the '90s even, you'd see arcade games practically everywhere. Even in places like laundromats and 7-11s.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/29/06 at 12:03 am

The late 90s had some great music, almost as good as the mid '90s and miles better than the crappy early '90s. The late 90s were far from crap.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/29/06 at 1:12 am

The movie theatre across the street from my townhouse (which was upgraded from a Twinplex to a 5-screen back in 2003) still has a mini arcade, as do alot of other theatres. Ironically, they're the only places that seem relatively unchanged in that regard. I suppose, so people have something quick to do before the movie starts, but not really to "hang out" hang out.

I remember in the '80s and first half of the '90s even, you'd see arcade games practically everywhere. Even in places like laundromats and 7-11s.

Yeah, back in the '80s/'90s there used to be a really cool arcade place in our town. It was right next to the pizza place so when we were younger we would go there all the time. It was a shame when they shut it down a couple of years ago, it was really the last good place for people to just go hang out around here :(

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/29/06 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, back in the '80s/'90s there used to be a really cool arcade place in our town. It was right next to the pizza place so when we were younger we would go there all the time. It was a shame when they shut it down a couple of years ago, it was really the last good place for people to just go hang out around here :(

I feel for you there. A hefty number of places in my area that I loved to go to in the '90s are now gone including the very '90s Carolina Circle Mall, the nearby Pizza Hut, K-mart, several grocery stores, etc. Get this, most of them closed in the '00s. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/29/06 at 1:13 pm

Where is this? ???

It's in Pittsburg, CA (up north where I live). It's now called Brenden 16, as they've added 8 more theatres!!

Written By: tv on 12/29/06 at 2:22 pm

Yeah thats true as bad as 1999 was musically I actually get a little noglastic for music like "Summer Girls" by LFO, or The Hardest Thing by 98 Degrees. Remember that song "Hey Leonardo She Likes For Me" by Blessid Union of Souls? That song had some funny lyrics. I also remember Jordan Kinights(the guy from New Kids on the Block) song "Give It To You" from 1999.

Written By: nally on 12/29/06 at 4:52 pm

It's in Pittsburg, CA (up north where I live). It's now called Brenden 16, as they've added 8 more theatres!!

That must be in the northern portion of the state, which is why I, for one, am not too familiar with it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/29/06 at 7:50 pm

That must be in the northern portion of the state, which is why I, for one, am not too familiar with it.

Yep, that's why I said "up north"  :)

Written By: nally on 12/29/06 at 8:10 pm

Yep, that's why I said "up north"  :)

And I don't think I've been "up north" at all within the past ten years. Unless you count Fresno as "up north"; I was there in June 2000 for a family reunion. Or is it in the central portion of the state?

Written By: tv on 12/29/06 at 10:53 pm

]

Yeah I remember this franchise called "Sports Park USA" around 1991-1993 period they used to have been Pinball, batting cages, basketball, and arcade games. Sports Park USA had 3 locations in New Jersey in Paramus, Piscataway, and Union too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/30/06 at 3:24 am

I feel for you there. A hefty number of places in my area that I loved to go to in the '90s are now gone including the very '90s Carolina Circle Mall, the nearby Pizza Hut, K-mart, several grocery stores, etc. Get this, most of them closed in the '00s. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. There have been alot of cool places around here that shut down in the late '90s/early '00s. There was a K-Mart near here that shut down around 2001, about two year after a Wal-Mart moved next door. I've always thought that patiicular K-Mart was better than the Wal-Mart :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 12/30/06 at 5:08 am

Number 2 song of 1991, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd, nuff said. Color Me Badd suck really bad, they had hits all over the early 90s pop charts, disgusting. God there was Nelson, Paula Abdul, Vanilla Ice in 1990, just terrible. Kris Kross in 92, I can't express with words how badly that music sucks. New Kids on the Block, there's another one, they suck too. I could go on and on about the crappy music in the early 90s. There was some good like early Mariah Carey, but definitely a large amount of trash. The late 90s were miles better musically, there really is no comparison. As much as people hate on some of the late 90s pop groups, they're a million times better than those Color Me Badd losers. 1996 or so was probably the best year of 90s music imo. Mid-late 90s to 2002 is my favorite music.

Check for new replies or respond here...