inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CD Singles

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 9:29 pm

So does anyone collect CD singles?  If so, what are some you got?

Since I was bored, here are a few of the ones I have (Atleast the ones I could find without digging through my boxes and boxes of cds LOL) ...

2 Unlimited - Never Surrender
2 Unlimited - Wanna Get Up
Ace of Base - The Sign
All Saints - Under the Bridge
Air - Cherry Blossom Girl
Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame
Atomic Kitten - If You Come to Me
Eva Avila - Meant to Fly
Bananarama - Every Shade of Blue
Bananarama - Last Thing on My Mind
Bananarama - Movin' On
Band-Aid 20 - Do They Know It's Christmas?
BBE - Flash
Gary Barlow - So Help Me Girl
Sarah Brightman - What You Never Know
Kate Bush - Rocket Man / Candle in the Wind
B*Witched - C'est La Vie
Catatonia - Dead From the Waist Down
Catatonia - Mulder and Scully
Catatonia - Stone By Stone
Catatonia - Strange Glue
Cheeky Girls - The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum)  :-
DJ Company - Cyber Sex-Love Game
Candy Dulfer - For the Love of You
Erasure - Abba Esque
Erasure - Always
Erasure - Fingers and Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
Erasure - Love to Hate You
Gloria Estefan - Mas Alla
Ferry Corsten - Rock Your Body Rock
Haddaway - Fly Away
Geri Halliwell - Look at Me
Iron Maiden - Rainmaker
Iron Maiden - Wildest Dreams
Jacynthe - Look Who's Crying Now
Jewel - Hands
JK - You and I
Elton John - Candle in the Wind 97
Cyndi Lauper - You Don't Know
Living in A Box - Room in Your Heart / Living in A Box
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
M.C. Sar and the Real McCoy - Automatic Lover (Call For Love)
Me and My - Dub I Dub
Melanie C - Here it Comes Again
George Michael - Older
George Michael - Star People 97
Dannii Minogue vs Dead or Alive - Begin to Spin Me Round
Dannii Minogue - Get Into You
Kylie Minogue - Come Into My World
Kylie Minogue - In Your Eyes
Kylie Minogue - Love at First Sight
Kylie Minogue - Slow
Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
Modjo - Chillin' (Revisited)
Moony - Dove (I'll Be Loving You)
Morrissey - Hold on to Your Friends
Morrissey and Siouxsie - Interlude
Morrissey - Suedehead
Motorcycle - As the Rush Comes
Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You
Musique vs U2 - New Year's Dub
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
New Order - Blue Monday 95
New Order - Regret
No Doubt - It's My Life
N-Trance - Stayin' Alive
William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For Strings
Stacie Orrico - Stuck
Pet Shop Boys - I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give it Anymore
Pet Shop Boys - Paninaro 95
Pet Shop Boys - Single-Bilingual
Riva featuring Dannii Minogue - Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)
Room 5 featuring Oliver Cheatham - Make Luv
Paulina Rubio - Don't Say Goodbye
Saint Etienne - Nothing Can Stop Us
Saint Etienne - Pale Movie
S Club 7 - Don't Stop Movin'
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Stargazer
Snap! featuring Niki Haris - Exterminate!
Spice Girls - Let Love Lead the Way
Sugababes - Freak Like Me
Sugababes - Round Round
Sugababes - Too Lost in You
Supermen Lovers featuring Mani Hoffman - Starlight
Tamperer featuring Maya - Feel It
Texas - Everyday Now
Texas - Say What You Want
Texas - So in Love With You
Texas - Why Believe in You
Thalia featuring Fat Joe - I Want You
Tiga and Zyntherius - Sunglasses at Night
Travis - Beautiful Occupation
Travis - Coming Around
Travis - Love Will Come Through
Travis - Re-Offender
Shania Twain - Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)
Shania Twain - Forever and For Always
Shania Twain - From This Moment On
Shania Twain - I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
Shania Twain - Ka Ching!
Shania Twain - Love Gets Me Every Time
Shania Twain with Mark McGrath - Party For Two
Shania Twain - Up!
Armand Van Helden featuring Duane Harden - You Don't Know Me
Vengaboys - Up and Down
Whigfield - Saturday Night
Zippora - What About U

Subject: Re: CD Singles

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:33 pm

wow...that's a LOT of CD singles. :o  Ya know, when cassette tapes were out as singles I used to buy those all the time, however, I never got into buying CD singles...mainly because they were always a lot more money than I thought they were worth...I would just end up spending a few bucks more and getting the whole CD.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 9:38 pm

wow...that's a LOT of CD singles. :o  Ya know, when cassette tapes were out as singles I used to buy those all the time, however, I never got into buying CD singles...mainly because they were always a lot more money than I thought they were worth...I would just end up spending a few bucks more and getting the whole CD.

Yeah, sometimes CD Singles can get as expensive as $7.99.  It's cheaper to pay the extra few bucks for the whole CD.  I only ever buy them when they are around $2.99 or less

The best singles to buy are the ones that are single only releases, such as "Do They Know It's Christmas"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:39 pm

Yeah, sometimes CD Singles can get as expensive as $7.99.  It's cheaper to pay the extra few bucks for the whole CD.  I only ever buy them when they are around $2.99 or less

The best singles to buy are the ones that are single only releases, such as "Do They Know It's Christmas"

I wonder why they are so darn expensive?  Have you found a lot of CD singles at Goodwill?

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 9:52 pm

I wonder why they are so darn expensive?  Have you found a lot of CD singles at Goodwill?

The ones that range from $5.99 and up are usually imports.  Generally, the regular ones are $3.99 and less, and even that's expensive.  They should sell for no more than 99c

I do find alot of CD singles at thrift shops.  The ones at Goodwill, they usually overprice with various prices, which are almost the cost of them brand new, so I usually scrape off the price and replace it with a cheaper price tag from another item ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:55 pm

I do find alot of CD singles at thrift shops.  The ones at Goodwill, they usually overprice with various prices, which are almost the cost of them brand new, so I usually scrape off the price and replace it with a cheaper price tag from another item ;D

hahahaah...that's so funny!! ;D  Ya, the people pricing them usually have no idea what they are doing...they probably think it is a full length CD or something. You'll show them, huh? ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 9:59 pm

I have the CD singles from Mariah Carey's "Music Box", "Daydream", "Butterfly", "Rainbow" albums and I have the "I Still Believe" single.  I have all of Kylie Minogue's "Fever" singles, and 2 of her singles from "Light Years" and various other ones that I can't remember.  The Kylie singles were all imports, obviously.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 10:02 pm

hahahaah...that's so funny!! ;D  Ya, the people pricing them usually have no idea what they are doing...they probably think it is a full length CD or something. You'll show them, huh? ;D

I switch around price tags all the time.  In the old days of goodwill, they sold casette tapes for 50c, until they hiked up the prices and started selling them at various prices.  One day, I peeled off a $1.50 sticker on a cassette tape, and the lady wasn't sure of the price, so she took it in the back, and when she came back, there were now 7 stickers all over the tape that said $3.50.  No way was I gonna pay that

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 10:03 pm

I switch around price tags all the time.  In the old days of goodwill, they sold casette tapes for 50c, until they hiked up the prices and started selling them at various prices.  One day, I peeled off a $1.50 sticker on a cassette tape, and the lady wasn't sure of the price, so she took it in the back, and when she came back, there were now 7 stickers all over the tape that said $3.50.  No way was I gonna pay that

they have really been raising their prices for things....some prices they ask are ridiculous!  They used to be SO cheap...now they want big bucks for donated goods. AND...they are doing away with their frequent shopper card....that is so lame. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 10:06 pm

they have really been raising their prices for things....some prices they ask are ridiculous!  They used to be SO cheap...now they want big bucks for donated goods. AND...they are doing away with their frequent shopper card....that is so lame. ::)

frequent shopper card?  They never had that here.  At Value Village, they have easter eggs come Easter, where after you buy 10 purchases of over $5 each, you get a discount of 20% on the 11th purchase

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 10:10 pm

frequent shopper card?  They never had that here.  At Value Village, they have easter eggs come Easter, where after you buy 10 purchases of over $5 each, you get a discount of 20% on the 11th purchase

yes they had it here. Everytime you shopped and it reached at least $10 they would give you a stamp...once you filled up the card...you could bring it back on your next visit and receive 20% off of donated items. Well, then they changed it to only 20% off of donated clothes...now they are totally doing away with it alltogether. That makes me mad because I filled up a couple cards...now they are getting greedy (on donated things, mind you). >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/06 at 11:43 pm

"Cassingles" were the real loser.  They were marked from about 1988 to 1992 and then vanished.  I had some, but I can only remember two of them, I hesitate to mention:

Max Q: Way of the World (Max Q, a Michael Hutchence side project)
Real Life: God Tonight

:-[

The 3" CD never really took off.  It was supposed to be a counterpart to the 7" single.  They sold them with plastic adapters in case your player drawer didn't have a 3" accommodation.  Artists still release them for novelty's sake.  I have a few kicking around, including Front 242's "Ethics" single, "Drug Sherpa," by Muslimgauze, and a couple of 20-minute electroacoustic compositions by the Brazilian composer Jorge Antunes.
Other than for novelty/limited edition special, they're not economical.  Even if it's just a 1-track radio promo, it's cheapter to just burn the one track onto a regular-sized 5" CD.
::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 11:59 pm

Max Q: Way of the World (Max Q, a Michael Hutchence side project)

Now there's a song I haven't heard in a long time.  I had that on cassingle as well

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/30/06 at 3:53 am

As much as I love vinyl, I find myself buying CD singles from time to time because 1) they're easier to transport for mobile DJ gigs and 2) Some CD Singles have remixes that the vinyl 12" does not.

Here's my list (most of them are CD Maxi-Singles):

BiGod 20 - "Carpe Diem"/"The Bog" (Dance Mix)
The Cure - "High"
Depeche Mode - "Enjoy The Silence"/"Dangerous"
Depeche Mode - "Love In Itself"/"Fools"
Depeche Mode - "Walking In My Shoes"/"My Joy"
Duran Duran - "The Reflex"/"Is There Something I Should Know?" (Capitol Gold Cuts)
Erasure - "Who Needs Love Like That"/"Sometimes"/"The Circus"
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - "Relax" (Peter Rauhofer/Coldcut/Original Mixes)
Paul Lekakis - "Boom Boom (Let's Go Back To My Room)" (Remix & Original Mix - the CD says '92 but the remix was out before that)
Pet Shop Boys - "West End - Sunglasses"/"West End Girls '86"/"One More Chance" (medley, then single versions of WEG & OMC)
Pet Shop Boys - "Can You Forgive Her?" (Rollo & MK Mixes)
Various Artists - "The Jock Jam"
Adrenaline - "Damn That DJ Made My Day"
Anastacia - "I'm Outta Love"
Apotheosis - "Obumbratta"/"The Volume Is Loud"
Kevin Aviance - "Give It Up"
Basement Jaxx - "Get Me Off"
Basement Jaxx feat. Dizzee Rascal - "Lucky Star" (Import and Domestic CD Singles as the Import lacked the full-length Jaxx Klub Mix and I bought it first :P )
Benny Benassi - "Satisfaction
Benassi Bros feat. Sandy - "Illusion"
The Blackout Allstars - "I Like It"
Brigid Boden - "Oh How I Cry"
Michelle Branch - "Breathe" (Remixes)
Kim Carnes - "Betty Davis Eyes 2000"
Chicane - "Don't Give Up 2004"
Ferry Corsten - "Rock Your Body, Rock" (got this one at Tower Records for $0.99 8) )
Dance Nation - "Sunshine"
Deep Dish - "Flashdance"
Depeche Mode - "Precious"
Drunkenmunkey - "E"
Willa Ford - "A Toast To Men (F**kThe Men)"
Dave Gahan - "Dirty Sticky Floors"
David Guetta - "Just A Little More Love"
Barry Harris feat. Pepper Mashay - "Dive In The Pool" (3 CD Singles of this one - Original Mixes, Soakin' Wet Remixes and Summer 2003 Remixes)
Whitney Houston - "It's Not Right But It's Okay"
Whitney Houston - "My Love Is Your Love"
Jesus Jones - "Real, Real, Real"
Jewel - "Intuition" (Remixes)
Jewel - "Stand" (Remixes)
Kelis - "Milkshake" (Remixes)
The KLF - "Justified & Ancient"
L.A. Style - "James Brown Is Dead"
Lasgo - "Surrender"
Madonna - "Nothing Fails"/"Nobody Knows Me" (Remixes)
Madonna - "I'll Remember"
Madonna - "Secret" (Remixes)
M.C. Hammer - "Pray" (Remixes)
Milky - "Just The Way You Are"
Moby - "Go"
Moby - "Into The Blue"
Moby - "Next Is The E"
Moby feat. Gwen Stefani - "Southside"
Modjo - "Lady"
Nalin & Kane vs Denis The Menace feat. Alex Prince - "Cruising" (aka "Beachball 2003")
No Doubt - "Hey Baby"/"Ex-Girlfriend"
Stacie Orrico - "(There's Gotta Be) More To Life" (Remixes)
The Orb - "Little Fluffy Clouds"
Suzanne Palmer - "Luv2Luv"
CeCe Peniston - "Finally"
Lucas Prata - "Never Be Alone"
Eric Prydz - "Call On Me"
Leann Rimes - "How Do I Live" (Dance Mixes)
Seal - "Love's Divine" (Remixes)
Seal - "Waiting For You" (Remixes)
Britney Spears feat. Madonna - "Me Against The Music" (Remixes)
Ultra Nat

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 4:43 am

Dance Nation - "Sunshine"

Man, that's a hard one to get

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/30/06 at 11:09 am

Apotheosis - "Obumbratta"/"The Volume Is Loud"

What? Not "O Fortuna"? ::)

To stick to the subject: I have close to 500 CD singles (that I hardly ever listen to - too much trouble).

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/30/06 at 3:13 pm

What? Not "O Fortuna"? ::)

Oh I have that one on vinyl 3 times over, dude.

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/30/06 at 3:19 pm

Man, that's a hard one to get

I found it at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square in NYC almost 5 years ago.  I didn't know what it was when I purchased it; I strictly went off the record label (Jive Electro) which I do from time to time as when you find a track you like on a smaller record label you usually find others you like. 

I like "Sunshine".  I still spin it from time to time.  It's kinda like Daft Punk meets Trance/NRG.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 3:28 pm

I found it at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square in NYC almost 5 years ago.  I didn't know what it was when I purchased it; I strictly went off the record label (Jive Electro) which I do from time to time as when you find a track you like on a smaller record label you usually find others you like. 

I like "Sunshine".  I still spin it from time to time.  It's kinda like Daft Punk meets Trance/NRG.

"Sunshine" sure is a great track 8)

I usually do that with record labels also.  When Sash! came out in the late 90s, I loved his music so much, I now buy all singles I see from the Positiva Label, which has worked out well as I love Motorcycle and Moony

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/740/747770.jpg http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000068FOP.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/01/06 at 10:45 pm

"Sunshine" sure is a great track 8)

I usually do that with record labels also.  When Sash! came out in the late 90s, I loved his music so much, I now buy all singles I see from the Positiva Label, which has worked out well as I love Motorcycle and Moony

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/740/747770.jpg http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000068FOP.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Don't forget Deep Dish!  :D

My favorite labels include Positiva, Robbins, Tommy Boy Silver, Strictly Rhythm, Jive Electro, Ultra, Moonshine, Nervous and *69.  8)

Written By: Davester on 10/03/06 at 7:54 pm

Never bought many of these...

Presently I have:

"Back For Good" ~ Take That
  "Pride (In the Name of Love)" ~ U2
  "A Small Victory" ~ Faith No More
  "Love See No Colour" ~ The Farm
  "Big Yellow Taxi" ~ Counting Crows

That's about it...

Written By: MysticMitch on 10/04/06 at 1:53 am

To stick to the subject: I have close to 500 CD singles (that I hardly ever listen to - too much trouble).

I agree with you there.  Popping a CD in for one song gets old fast.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 2:52 am

Now there's a song I haven't heard in a long time.  I had that on cassingle as well

INXS was one of those bands that could make music I liked, but generally didn't.
("The One  Thing," "Don't Change," dynamite!  "Suicide Blonde," "I Need You Tonight," barf out!)

Hutchence was actually an interesting guy when he wasn't strutting his hot bod for the guys (the girls never caught on).  Hutchence was in the Australian film "Dogs in Space."  If you can ever hunt down the soundtrack, I'd snap it up!  It features a track by Ollie Olson, who would collaborate with Hutchence on Max Q a few years later.  Max Q was kinda cheesy, but it had a great sound, a bit ahead of its time!

Real Life, also Australian, is still a guilty pleasure.  The "Flame" album is horrendous...but I like it for some strange reason.  Then there was the song "Babies," which is a hoot...and the band didn't even write it!  "God Tonight" just had nothing going for it.  The band never really broke up.  They reissued "Send Me An Angel" for about the seventh time, and they were still trying to make a go of it with new material as recently as 2005!

We are we are we are bleedin' babies
on a playground battlefield!
Justify Justify, just to simplify...
The last supper's been served too soon, so,
I'm gonna need another meal!

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/08 at 10:13 pm

I loaded up on CD Singles tonight.  The local "Sunrise" had a bin full of CD's that were 3 for 99c each.  Most of 'em I got are 90s eurodance ...

Travis - Sing
Cast - Magic Hour
Steps - After the Love Has Gone
France Joli - Save Me
Doop - Doop
Rozalla - This Time I Found Love
Touch and Go - Would You... ?
Pleasure Beat featuring J Cock - First Time
Jamiroquai - High Times
Anastacia - I'm Outta Love
Shannon - Give Me Tonight 2000 A.D.
Strike - My Love is For Real
Clueless - Don't Speak
D:Ream - Blame it On Me

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/05/08 at 11:52 pm

Real Life, also Australian, is still a guilty pleasure.  The "Flame" album is horrendous...but I like it for some strange reason.  Then there was the song "Babies," which is a hoot...and the band didn't even write it!  "God Tonight" just had nothing going for it.  The band never really broke up.  They reissued "Send Me An Angel" for about the seventh time, and they were still trying to make a go of it with new material as recently as 2005!

Argh.  Two years after you post this, I have to read this thread after accidentally re-encountering their 1989 synthpop earworm Let's Fall In Love.  The ID3 tag has a comment suggesting the track was released in 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, and 1989.  Argh.

Written By: Midas on 08/06/08 at 11:22 am

I think I've bought maybe one CD Maxi-Single since I posted here 2 years ago.  I didn't see Depeche Mode's "It's Called A Heart"/"Fly On The Windscreen" (Import) in my list. :D  I have the U.S. 12" single also which contains a remix of "Flexible".

Written By: robby76 on 08/06/08 at 11:38 am

I have tonnes of cd singles - too many to list. They were just the perfect format... you got the decent size sleeve that you'd get with a 7" vinyl with the longevity of a cd (as opposed to crappy cassingles). Plus you more often than not got more than 3 songs - whether they be b-sides or remixes. CD singles were just perfect for collecting stuff from your favourite artists. Damn those digital downloads!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...