inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 90's nostalgia getting bigger than 80's nostalgia?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/21/06 at 12:33 pm

Now in 2006, it seems like 90's nostalgia is on the rise, and 80's nostalgia is becoming a passe fad. Does anybody else feel the same way?

Subject: Re: Is 90's nostalgia getting bigger than 80's nostalgia?

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/21/06 at 12:37 pm

Yes, and I believe it's a positive step forward. I don't think it's real evident at the moment, but the nostalgia of the '90s is on the way.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/21/06 at 3:54 pm

It's difficult to tell something like that, because Nostalgia comes mainly from your Childhood.  So which ever decade you grew up in as a child, you're more nostalgic for.

However, people Born in 1989 are now 17 years old, so 90's nostalgia is indeed getting larger considering younger people are starting to get older and more nostalgic for their childhood

Written By: Brian06 on 10/21/06 at 3:59 pm

Not really yet, '80s nostalgia still rules really with all the sampling of '80s songs is current music and '80s influenced fashion and everything. '90s nostalgia will come soon though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/06 at 9:45 pm

I think '80s nostalgia, especially the New Wave early part of the decade is more present in what the media influences, and '90s nostalgia for people's own experiences (especially if you're anywhere from, say 14-32 right now, you probably miss the '90s for personal reasons).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/22/06 at 12:46 am

I think '80s nostalgia, especially the New Wave early part of the decade is more present in what the media influences, and '90s nostalgia for people's own experiences (especially if you're anywhere from, say 14-32 right now, you probably miss the '90s for personal reasons).

Yeah, '80s nostalgia is still bigger than '90s nostalgia at the moment, but '90s nostalgia is growing. I'd say it'll be another 4 or 5 years before '90s nostalgia becomes really noticeable.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/22/06 at 1:52 am

Since we all tend to discuss this stuff alot, I was just right now thinking about why '90s nostalgia might be picking up so fast. Maybe it's because more people tend to get attached to things at a younger age now (I know alot of us on the board have, including me).

My core age for memories and pop culture is about 4-13, whereas in past generations, it seems like it centered more on High School. There've been tons of times I've talked to people older than me who act bewildered that I like '80s pop music so much (i.e. "but you were only 5 then!"). :D

So, I can see why the '90s are collectively missed by alot of people now. I mean, a current 18-year old born in 1988 probably misses their childhood way more than a typical 18-year old in the '70s who tended to be at the height of enjoying things would have. Does that make sense?

That's probably also why previous revivals tended to be much later (i.e. '50s nostalgia being from 1973 to 1985 or so).

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/22/06 at 11:26 am

Since we all tend to discuss this stuff alot, I was just right now thinking about why '90s nostalgia might be picking up so fast. Maybe it's because more people tend to get attached to things at a younger age now (I know alot of us on the board have, including me).

My core age for memories and pop culture is about 4-13, whereas in past generations, it seems like it centered more on High School. There've been tons of times I've talked to people older than me who act bewildered that I like '80s pop music so much (i.e. "but you were only 5 then!"). :D

So, I can see why the '90s are collectively missed by alot of people now. I mean, a current 18-year old born in 1988 probably misses their childhood way more than a typical 18-year old in the '70s who tended to be at the height of enjoying things would have. Does that make sense?

That's probably also why previous revivals tended to be much later (i.e. '50s nostalgia being from 1973 to 1985 or so).

I definitely relate to Gen Y's getting attached to memories of early to late childhood rather than adolescence or young adulthood. It's funny most Boomers can't get past the 60s (either before or after), and GenXers have the 80s, whereas Generation Y seems stuck in the 90s. I think the early proponents of 90s nostalgia will be GenXers - who did after all dominate - and were the most visible - aspect of 90s culture. So it'll be interesting to see in which demographic 90s nostalgia will primarily sprout from and flourish in.

Written By: lizjagger on 10/23/06 at 2:44 pm

80s nostalgia is felt by the majority, I think. the 90s are still less than 10 yrs ago. who has time to be nostalgic for that? maybe , I'm on the wrong board, lol

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/23/06 at 2:45 pm

80s nostalgia is felt by the majority, I think. the 90s are still less than 10 yrs ago. who has time to be nostalgic for that? maybe , I'm on the wrong board, lol

You'd be surprised about how many people do have the time.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/23/06 at 3:52 pm

80s nostalgia is felt by the majority,

Uhh, What?  How about people under the age of 21 who probably don't have any memory of the 80's at all? They spent their childhood during the 90's, the same way YOU probably spent yours during the 80's.  They feel the same about the 90's that you do about the 80's

the 90s are still less than 10 yrs ago. who has time to be nostalgic for that?

The 90's are also MORE than 10 years ago.  People do have time to be nostalgic for that, especially if they were 9 years old at the time, and are now 19, for instance

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 5:51 pm

Uhh, What?  How about people under the age of 21 who probably don't have any memory of the 80's at all? They spent their childhood during the 90's, the same way YOU probably spent yours during the 80's.  They feel the same about the 90's that you do about the 80's

The 90's are also MORE than 10 years ago.  People do have time to be nostalgic for that, especially if they were 9 years old at the time, and are now 19, for instance

Take it easy, bro! LizJagger was just expressing her opinion - although I see what you're saying, too since I'm nostalgic for both decades. Over the years I've debated so much about this stuff, so I'll just say 1984/'85-1998 feels most like "my time" and end it at that.

You shouldn't make blanket statements about people, since we're all different. It also depends on upbringing and individual tastes. You don't need to live through a time to like or to have knowledge on it (there's things from the '60s and '70s that I dug as a kid in the '80s/early '90s, even though it was before me).

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/23/06 at 6:01 pm

Take it easy, bro! LizJagger was just expressing her opinion - although I see what you're saying, too. I'm nostalgic for both, so I'll just leave it at that, but people shouldn't make blanket statements about everyone liking one thing or feeling one way.

Again, you don't need to live through a time to like it. When I was a kid in the early '90s, I'd sometimes watch movies from the '70s and got a little "nostalgic" even if I wasn't around for it. I understood it enough to get the feel. Who says some other 11-year old kid may not be doing that right now for the '80s?

Not really, she was trying to pass it off as Fact, acting as if it's impossible for anyone to be nostalgic for the 90's simply because she isn't and simply because it was "less than 10 years ago"

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 6:03 pm

Not really, she was trying to pass it off as Fact, acting as if it's impossible for anyone to be nostalgic for the 90's simply because she isn't and simply because it was "less than 10 years ago"

I don't know, there was an "lol" in her statement, I don't think she was that serious about it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 6:09 pm

True, but I'm guessing she meant in a cultural sense more than as far as individuals go (hell, you can be nostalgic for 10 days ago, but that doesn't mean it's far enough away for the media to pick up on it as "retro cool"). ;)

And in a retro cool sense, it would make more sense for '90s nostalgia to pick up around 2013, although for the '90s kids it has already started.

So both answers have some truth in them.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 6:16 pm

The majority of '90s nostalgists are probably younger, generally they don't remember the '80s much or at all so the '90s are their past, so it makes sense that they're nostalgic for it. Well the late '90s are still pretty recent, the early-mid '90s are definitely quite a while ago.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 6:35 pm

The majority of '90s nostalgists are probably younger, generally they don't remember the '80s much or at all so the '90s are their past, so it makes sense that they're nostalgic for it. Well the late '90s are still pretty recent, the early-mid '90s are definitely quite a while ago.

Agreed. Would you say 1997 is the "divider" year because of the beginning of everything Digital, and the Internet just starting to become household? Anything before then feels like an old school world to me.

It's kinda scary that I was 14-15 in 1996 and that's now starting to feel "older" to me, but it is. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 6:40 pm

Agreed. Would you say 1997 is the "divider" year because of the beginning of everything Digital, and the Internet just starting to become household? Anything before then feels like an old school world to me.

It's kinda scary that I was 14-15 in 1996 and that's now starting to feel "older" to me, but it is. ;)

Yeah it was around that time when the Internet and especially ".com" became known to everybody, websites started appearing in every commercial and then you had the .com companies. I still don't think today is even the true digital world yet, not until analog television is dumped and radio and telephone become widely digital. Most people are still using a standard analog tv even in 2006.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 6:44 pm

Yeah it was around that time when the Internet and especially ".com" became known to everybody, websites started appearing in every commercial and then you had the .com companies. I still don't think today is even the true digital world yet, not until analog television is dumped and radio and telephone become widely digital. Most people are still using a standard analog tv even in 2006.

I honestly don't think computers will totally replace TVs in that regard, although I already think TV is starting to become "slightly less essential". It's harder to lounge in front of the computer, and people will always want live television, too.

I don't see us going totally digital until 2020ish, maybe closer to 2030.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 6:48 pm

I honestly don't think computers will totally replace TVs in that regard, although I already think TV is starting to become "slightly less essential". It's harder to lounge in front of the computer, and people will always want live television, too.

I don't see us going totally digital until 2020ish, maybe closer to 2030.

I'm talking about HDTV and digital broadcasting. All larger TVs nowadays do include digital tuners, and the cheaper non-hd ones are marketed as "standard definition digital tvs". Tradition analog over the air broadcasting is supposed to end in 2009, however even after that you'll still have a bunch of people with analog cable so it never ends lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 7:01 pm

I'm talking about HDTV and digital broadcasting. All larger TVs nowadays do include digital tuners, and the cheaper non-hd ones are marketed as "standard definition digital tvs". Tradition analog over the air broadcasting is supposed to end in 2009, however even after that you'll still have a bunch of people with analog cable so it never ends lol.

Oh, I see now. ;) My TV is an '89s Sony I got at Goodwill several years ago, the newest one in the house is a '98 that my parents have as the main one. I guess even that one is like an "advanced analog", so I'm too used to that.

What's the actual difference between digital and analog broadcasting?

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 7:07 pm

Oh, I see now. ;) My TV is an '89s Sony I got at Goodwill several years ago, the newest one in the house is a '98 that my parents have as the main one. I guess even that one is like an "advanced analog", so I'm too used to that.

What's the actual difference between digital and analog broadcasting?

digital is much better. I have an HDTV (I'm spoiled lol), and with an analog antenna you know it's fuzzy and just doesn't look all that good at all, with a digital antenna you can get a perfectly clear HD picture and digital surround sound with just a cheap little antenna, it's pretty cool.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/06 at 11:57 pm

True, but I'm guessing she meant in a cultural sense more than as far as individuals go (hell, you can be nostalgic for 10 days ago, but that doesn't mean it's far enough away for the media to pick up on it as "retro cool"). ;)

And in a retro cool sense, it would make more sense for '90s nostalgia to pick up around 2013, although for the '90s kids it has already started.

Yeah, '80s nostalgia is alot more obvious than '90s nostalgia at the moment, and it'll probably be about 6 or 7 more years before we really see '90s nostalgia become big. I will say though that when you get around to people born in the late '80s(like myself) it becomes alot more obvious. Right now i'd say that '90s nostalgia is at the point '80s nostalgia was in about 1996.

And as far as the '90s not being old enough to be nostalgic about hell, 1990 was almost 20 years ago. :o

Written By: lizjagger on 10/24/06 at 10:53 am

Thanks for sticking up for me Marty :) . Yeah, I meant more in the cultural sense, the media is nostalgic for the 80s as are the people who grew up during the 80s. Look at TV(remember Reunion on Fox) as well as references in movie, fashion,etc.--they are all addressing 80s nostalgia... I guess individually, as some have said, it really depends on the time you grew up in...that being said, I can understand why someone who wasn't born in/didn't live through the 80s can be nostalgic for the 90s..but culturally, at this time, there is more nostalgia for the 80s.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/24/06 at 10:29 pm

And as far as the '90s not being old enough to be nostalgic about hell, 1990 was almost 20 years ago. :o

Yeah but 1990 was the 80s.  ;)

You can't have it both ways!  I love it when I catch you guys being selective like that.  i.e, "it was the 80s, oh wait for these purpose it was the 90s, etc, etc)    ;)

(just messin' with ya)    :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/24/06 at 10:38 pm

90s nostalgia will have it's day.  I get nostalgic for the early 90s, if that counts.  I was just watching that Kris Kross video "Jump" from 1992 on Youtube, wow that brought back some memories.  "wicketywicketywicketywhack!"  That was 14 years ago, hard to believe.

But the mid-late 90s seem way too recent to start getting nostalgic for it.  Though I can understand people who were children back then getting nostalgic over it.  90s nostalgia will come one day in full force, probably in 2013 as Marty says.  People born in 1982 will be 31.   

In my opinion, even though the ideal 28 year old today (born in 1978, graduated high school in 1996) would be a prime candidate for marketing 90s nostalgia if had they power to do so, and many actually are in positions do so, I think you will need the people who are about 24 today (born in 1982) to get into a more powerful position to influence the media and push 90s nostalgia.  In my opinion.  I don't think it will be the same as when people who were born in 1964 jumped at the chance to push 80s nostalgia once they had the power to do so back in the late 90s or so.  (i.e., The Wedding Singer)  Despite the fact that they were already 18 in the early 80s, they were ready and eager to push 80s nostalgia.  That same thing won't happen with the 90s in my opinion.  No way, I think for the 90s you will have to wait for people who latched onto the entire decade, like a person born around 1982.  Those guys need to get into more powerful positions to control the media.  It will come one day. 

We'll see what happens.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/25/06 at 12:16 am

Yeah but 1990 was the 80s.  ;)

You can't have it both ways!  I love it when I catch you guys being selective like that.  i.e, "it was the 80s, oh wait for these purpose it was the 90s, etc, etc)    ;)

(just messin' with ya)    :)

Got me there Chris ;). Some of us did argue that point alot didn't we.

90s nostalgia will have it's day.  I get nostalgic for the early 90s, if that counts.  I was just watching that Kris Kross video "Jump" from 1992 on Youtube, wow that brought back some memories.  "wicketywicketywicketywhack!"  That was 14 years ago, hard to believe.

But the mid-late 90s seem way too recent to start getting nostalgic for it.  Though I can understand people who were children back then getting nostalgic over it.  90s nostalgia will come one day in full force, probably in 2013 as Marty says.  People born in 1982 will be 31. 

In my opinion, even though the ideal 28 year old today (born in 1978, graduated high school in 1996) would be a prime candidate for marketing 90s nostalgia if had they power to do so, and many actually are in positions do so, I think you will need the people who are about 24 today (born in 1982) to get into a more powerful position to influence the media and push 90s nostalgia.  In my opinion.  I don't think it will be the same as when people who were born in 1964 jumped at the chance to push 80s nostalgia once they had the power to do so back in the late 90s or so.  (i.e., The Wedding Singer)  Despite the fact that they were already 18 in the early 80s, they were ready and eager to push 80s nostalgia.  That same thing won't happen with the 90s in my opinion.  No way, I think for the 90s you will have to wait for people who latched onto the entire decade, like a person born around 1982.  Those guys need to get into more powerful positions to control the media.  It will come one day. 

We'll see what happens.

Yeah, I agree with this. '90s nostalgia will really start to pick up and become more noticable as those born in the '80s continue to get older and older. I think we may start to see some early signs of it in 2008 or '09 when everyone born in the '80s will be an adult(over 18), and those born in the early '80s will be nearly 30. Otherwise i'd agree with Marty as well and say it'll really being in that 2011-2013 time range.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/25/06 at 8:54 am

It will happen, no doubt it will happen one day.  A lot of people born in the 70s could convcievably push it, and are in positions to do so, but really I think you will have to wait until more people born in the 80s get older. There probably will be hints of it happening in 2009, but my guess will be that it will start with the early 90s, if that counts.  Kurt Cobain just toppled Elvis for the highest paid dead celebrity.  That part of the 90s will get some media nostalgia in a few more years I'm sure.  But what I sense from you guys that are 16-19 years old really wanting, full blown media nostalgia over 1996, 1999 and even 2000, that won't happen until many more years down the line.  Marty's 2013 prediction, or around there sounds right to me.

I found that 1992 Kriss Kross video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga4bw09S_5Q

funny stuff from back in the day, seeing two kids rapping about being mack daddys...   

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/06 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for sticking up for me Marty :) . Yeah, I meant more in the cultural sense, the media is nostalgic for the 80s as are the people who grew up during the 80s. Look at TV(remember Reunion on Fox) as well as references in movie, fashion,etc.--they are all addressing 80s nostalgia... I guess individually, as some have said, it really depends on the time you grew up in...that being said, I can understand why someone who wasn't born in/didn't live through the 80s can be nostalgic for the 90s..but culturally, at this time, there is more nostalgia for the 80s.

No problem. :)

Yeah, the media seems like it always has a 20 year nostalgia to it, because it's at that point the most "popular" retro decade. Just because high schoolers would be in their mid 30s, kids of the time are now in their 20s, and it's also far enough away for current teens to cultivate some interest in it (yet not so far away that they can't relate to it, like it was "grandpa's time" old or something). ;)

I even think '70s nostalgia, in a reduced way, is still strong (although time will tell, I have a feeling certain things from every decade after the '60s will sorta go into being "eternally cool". The '70s is basically the first Modernized decade).

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/06 at 9:15 pm

We'll see what happens.

Good points. Do you think another part of the reason '90s nostalgists will probably be on the younger side, is because the demographic has tended to get younger now?

Based on people I know personally and what I've seen on TV or the 'Net, it's almost guaranteed that people born around 1965, even alot of early '60s born folks, seem to like the entire '80s. I know we've mentioned it before, but the '80s seemed easier to appeal to "older" people. I remember lots and lots of people well into their 20s, even 30s in the late '80s who really liked the current music on the radio.

That seemed less common after 1992ish. I'm guessing anyone who was about 6 to 20 during some part of the '90s will be the most fervant revivalists once they're all in power to influence the media or fashion.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/06 at 9:24 pm

I think people my age will have nostalgia one day for both the '90s and the 2000s. Both decades are a part of our growing up.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/25/06 at 9:24 pm

I agree with most of you. Pop culturaly, there is currently a lot of '80s nostalgia. However, there is over a handfull of '90s nostalgia out there that is mainly for the current teenagers who are "Old School" like me. The late '90s aren't nostalgic at all. But the early and mid '90s have plenty of it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/06 at 10:29 pm

I think people my age will have nostalgia one day for both the '90s and the 2000s. Both decades are a part of our growing up.

I agree.

You know, I think I'm a part of the past three decades (the '80s for childhood/family experiences/music, the '90s for going out on my own more and really growing up/TV/movies, and the '00s for my very early adult years - which is sort of an upgraded version of what I like about my personal '90s).

In the future, I'll probably call roughly 1985-early 2010s "my time".

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/06 at 10:49 pm

I agree.

You know, I think I'm a part of the past three decades (the '80s for childhood/family experiences/music, the '90s for going out on my own more and really growing up/TV/movies, and the '00s for my very early adult years - which is sort of an upgraded version of what I like about my personal '90s).

Yeah you are I would agree. Most people's growing up is split between at least 2 decades really.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/26/06 at 12:16 am

I agree.

Yeah, I think I would include the '90s as part of 'my time' as well. I think 'my time' will probably continue well into the 2010's.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/29/06 at 1:11 am

Good points. Do you think another part of the reason '90s nostalgists will probably be on the younger side, is because the demographic has tended to get younger now?

Based on people I know personally and what I've seen on TV or the 'Net, it's almost guaranteed that people born around 1965, even alot of early '60s born folks, seem to like the entire '80s. I know we've mentioned it before, but the '80s seemed easier to appeal to "older" people. I remember lots and lots of people well into their 20s, even 30s in the late '80s who really liked the current music on the radio.

That seemed less common after 1992ish. I'm guessing anyone who was about 6 to 20 during some part of the '90s will be the most fervant revivalists once they're all in power to influence the media or fashion.

I know why you say this, about "older people" getting into the 80s more then the 90s or 00s, but I'm not sure if it is correct.  Not that I'm disputing what you say as completely inaccurate.  But I think perhaps that maybey it may just seem that way, because of how you percieved adults or anyone of a certain age back then.  A lot of people over 25 or over 30, over 35/over 40 (whatever the cutoff is for someone being an "adult adult") into still listen to current music.  I do understand why you say this, and I get where you are coming from. 

I think, and this is just my theory, it may have to do with more young teen/teen specific, immature kinda music.  There was stuff like this around in the 80s and even 70s, like Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and NKOTB,---they were really targeted at kids.  In it's day KISS and Twisted Sister was immature stuff for kids, whereas Bon Jovi was hip and young but accessible to a wider age group.  That's why we may have seen 35 year old Bon Jovi fans in 1988, they likely didn't show up to a concert where everyone else was probably 23 and under, but they could be fans.  Artists that had their roots in the 60s or 70s like Bruce Springsteen and Chicago/Peter Cetera were going to have plenty of older fans.  Then you had people that may have been into 70s glam rock when they were kids, and they could still find a place in the late 80s when they were in their 20s or 30s.  Then the style changed in the early 90s, and with that change it was hard for many people to change with it.  Grunge was different and often overplayed.  The gangsta rap of the 90s could be alienaiting for a lot of people.  With the boy bands in the late 90s and early 00s, it was hard for anyone even over 21 to get into that.   

But many of the alternative bands or altenative sounding/post grunge music around today has many fans over 25 or over 30/35.  I think there is a real myth that goes around on these boards that people of a certain age do nothing but listen to the 80s station and 80s music.  The grunge bands may not have had a lot of over 25 fans back in the early 90s, but their descendants do, because the youth from back then got older.  But when the music becomes blatantly too immature, or the style suddenly changes, then I think it becomes harder for older demographics to get into it.  As you get older, with each passing year it becomes a little harder to stay with latest current band if they are just really targeted at kids and immature in their style.  You're 25 you know this, when you are removed from that kid world, it gets harder and harder. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/29/06 at 8:29 am

I know why you say this, about "older people" getting into the 80s more then the 90s or 00s, but I'm not sure if it is correct.  Not that I'm disputing what you say as completely inaccurate.  But I think perhaps that maybey it may just seem that way, because of how you percieved adults or anyone of a certain age back then.  A lot of people over 25 or over 30, over 35/over 40 (whatever the cutoff is for someone being an "adult adult") into still listen to current music.  I do understand why you say this, and I get where you are coming from. 

I think, and this is just my theory, it may have to do with more young teen/teen specific, immature kinda music.  There was stuff like this around in the 80s and even 70s, like Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and NKOTB,---they were really targeted at kids.  In it's day KISS and Twisted Sister was immature stuff for kids, whereas Bon Jovi was hip and young but accessible to a wider age group.  That's why we may have seen 35 year old Bon Jovi fans in 1988, they likely didn't show up to a concert where everyone else was probably 23 and under, but they could be fans.  Artists that had their roots in the 60s or 70s like Bruce Springsteen and Chicago/Peter Cetera were going to have plenty of older fans.  Then you had people that may have been into 70s glam rock when they were kids, and they could still find a place in the late 80s when they were in their 20s or 30s.  Then the style changed in the early 90s, and with that change it was hard for many people to change with it.  Grunge was different and often overplayed.  The gangsta rap of the 90s could be alienaiting for a lot of people.  With the boy bands in the late 90s and early 00s, it was hard for anyone even over 21 to get into that.   

But many of the alternative bands or altenative sounding/post grunge music around today has many fans over 25 or over 30/35.  I think there is a real myth that goes around on these boards that people of a certain age do nothing but listen to the 80s station and 80s music.  The grunge bands may not have had a lot of over 25 fans back in the early 90s, but their descendants do, because the youth from back then got older.  But when the music becomes blatantly too immature, or the style suddenly changes, then I think it becomes harder for older demographics to get into it.  As you get older, with each passing year it becomes a little harder to stay with latest current band if they are just really targeted at kids and immature in their style.  You're 25 you know this, when you are removed from that kid world, it gets harder and harder. 

You bring up alot of good points. This is interesting, but I now wonder if my view might be a teeny bit skewed, since I had a more liberal view growing up? I've said before that my parents enjoyed a decent chunk of pop music and other culture in the '80s. My family members/some other adults did too. I vividly recall as a kid, sometimes when I saw someone their age who acted really older adultlike, I'd think Geez, they seem so old! It wasn't until later that I realized they were probably more normal. ;)

Alot of TV and movies in the '80s often seemed to depict "uncool, clueless" parents. More than I even realized. Danny from Full House acted 45 when he was only in his early 30s. Although he was likable and jokey about it, you could tell DJ especially could view him as lame and out of touch. I suppose older people liked the more fluffy and light stuff, like Phil Collins songs. Controversial things like Ozzy and Friday the 13th movies had more opposition from Tipper Gore types. Some teachers talked down about me and other kids playing video games in the late '80s. In a casual "you silly kids" way, but you could tell they kinda felt it was pointless and stupid.

Yeah, groups of people can be turned away when a style completely changes. Some older generations will like it, but most probably feel alienated and kicked out of the club. I guess there's more "alienatable" things now. Gangsta rap has been popular since 1992, but that (or today's equivalent: bling bling) simply isn't safe enough for Middle America to the point of a typical Soccer Mom listening to it. I'm sure there's some Green Day or Offspring fans up to 35 though, so it's still out there, lol.

Personally, I feel that "casual fandom" now. I still like some new songs enough to burn onto CD mixes and buy semi current/cool clothes. But I'm not really into being part of the Emo culture for instance, while some 20, 21 year old friends of mine definitely are. Although most of what I'm truly passionate about comes from when I was under 14 or 15, so I'm used to it by now.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/29/06 at 11:22 am

Well Green Day and Offspring have been around for a long time, so they are going to have fans older then 35.

My cousin that is 36 never listens to the 80s station, she's got her 80s CDs but she always keeps it on current music.  People are not damned to only the music that was around when they were in high school and younger.  Some people can have really eclectic music tastes.  I knew a couple that where in their mid-late 30s back in 2000, so they would be in their 40s now, that told me they went to a Britney Spears concert from the time.  I was 24/25 back in 2000, and I felt too old for Britney Spears and boy bands, that seemed so blatantly targeted at teenagers and children, but they didn't care and they went.  The woman liked her a lot.  I thought it was pretty cool that they did that, ofcourse they did tell me they were the oldest people there and people wondered where their kids were, lol.  So I guess you can expect stares if you do something like that after a certain age, but it was cool.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/30/06 at 4:20 am

Well Green Day and Offspring have been around for a long time, so they are going to have fans older then 35.

My cousin that is 36 never listens to the 80s station, she's got her 80s CDs but she always keeps it on current music.  People are not damned to only the music that was around when they were in high school and younger.  Some people can have really eclectic music tastes.  I knew a couple that where in their mid-late 30s back in 2000, so they would be in their 40s now, that told me they went to a Britney Spears concert from the time.  I was 24/25 back in 2000, and I felt too old for Britney Spears and boy bands, that seemed so blatantly targeted at teenagers and children, but they didn't care and they went.  The woman liked her a lot.  I thought it was pretty cool that they did that, ofcourse they did tell me they were the oldest people there and people wondered where their kids were, lol.  So I guess you can expect stares if you do something like that after a certain age, but it was cool.

Yeah, that is cool (albeit probably not typical) about the older couple attending a Britney concert. Hey, the way I see it, just like what you want to.

I'd say your cousin is probably alot closer in reality to how the average person that age is. Every generation has stereotypes, but the '80s sure gets it good. Aside from the lingering idea that you must've been 17 in the mid '80s to like the era, there's also an image painted of that age group as obsessively stuck then and dismissing everything since. Heck I love '80s music and culture as much as anyone, but these generalizations can get silly. I know some people that age enough to know they're not living like they're in a permanent 1983 - even if they still do like that stuff. ;)

You know, I occasionally have to remind myself the Offspring's first album was in 1989. Of course they were underground and very hardcore compared to "Pretty Fly for a White Guy", but they were around. Now that I think about it, some of those bands may even have their oldest fans pushing 50 now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/31/06 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. Since I was born in the late '80s I'll probably be stereotyped as liking '00s music primarily for the rest of my life, and even though I do like a good bit of songs from the '00s, I really like music from all decades dating back to the '50s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/06 at 7:13 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. Since I was born in the late '80s I'll probably be stereotyped as liking '00s music primarily for the rest of my life, and even though I do like a good bit of songs from the '00s, I really like music from all decades dating back to the '50s.

Yeah, I like music from all around, to be honest. Although about 1978 to 1996 music is what I really identify with the most, I still like some scattered '50s, '60s and '70s songs that I heard after the fact.

BTW, I'm beginning to think nostalgia for any period starting with the '70s will sorta remain "eternally cool" at least elements of it. Sure, the main period in the media will always be about 20-25 years after the fact, but I've noticed there's still some overall '70s retro cool around. I bet the same will happen to every subsequent decade, since the '70s were basically the beginning of the "modern" era.

This is unlike '50s nostalgia, which died around 1986 (after that it seems to have become just "an older time") and, in a way the earlier '60s have too. But I have a feeling anything after 1967 will always be somewhat relevant, even if it stops being in the spotlight, if that makes sense?

Written By: rich1981 on 11/02/06 at 9:42 pm

I would think so on many levels, a lot of music from the 70's still sounds recent, even if a little dated. Also, computers and digital technology developed greatly in the 70's, as many electronic 'gadgets' became more widespread until they became household items.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/02/06 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, I like music from all around, to be honest. Although about 1978 to 1996 music is what I really identify with the most, I still like some scattered '50s, '60s and '70s songs that I heard after the fact.

BTW, I'm beginning to think nostalgia for any period starting with the '70s will sorta remain "eternally cool" at least elements of it. Sure, the main period in the media will always be about 20-25 years after the fact, but I've noticed there's still some overall '70s retro cool around. I bet the same will happen to every subsequent decade, since the '70s were basically the beginning of the "modern" era.

This is unlike '50s nostalgia, which died around 1986 (after that it seems to have become just "an older time") and, in a way the earlier '60s have too. But I have a feeling anything after 1967 will always be somewhat relevant, even if it stops being in the spotlight, if that makes sense?

I could see that happening. It really just depends. I'd say if overall pop culture never(or at least in the near future) really changes that much from the way it is now in the '00s, then the '70s, '80s, '90s, and even the '00s themselves will probably never seem that distant.

On the other hand if there's some sort of pop culture revolution later on like there was over the course of the '50s, '60s, and '70s then those decades could date themselves real fast. It's kind of like how the '20s would've seemed pretty old in the late '50s, but overall(other than technology, and the music of the times) not as old as the '50s probably seemed in the late '80s

So for all we know the '00s could seem alot older in the '30s than the '70s do now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/06 at 12:10 am

^ Yeah, that would be interesting. I'd say there were two huge change periods in "recent" history: around 1890-1920 for historical and industrial things, and 1955-1981 (especially through the early '70s) for political, pop culture and tech.

I think if there's another "mega change" time like that, it'll be with technology, but it probably won't be as massive. Still though, it's hard to imagine Eminem and Rihanna ever being "like grandpa's time". ;D

Written By: ab on 11/11/06 at 11:51 am

I am 29.  Although I was a child in the 80s (and I'm totally enjoying seeing the 80s toys come back again!), I consider the 90s MY decade.  I entered highschool in 1991 and graduated undergrad in 1999, so I feel like my coming of age is squarely in the 90s--both early and late 90s.

In a way, it makes me sad to see that  what was cool and cutting edge is now nostalgia.  I just watched Beavis and Butthead on TV and I laughed and almost cried! :\'(

Written By: Roadgeek on 11/11/06 at 1:20 pm

I am 29.  Although I was a child in the 80s (and I'm totally enjoying seeing the 80s toys come back again!), I consider the 90s MY decade.  I entered highschool in 1991 and graduated undergrad in 1999, so I feel like my coming of age is squarely in the 90s--both early and late 90s.

In a way, it makes me sad to see that  what was cool and cutting edge is now nostalgia.  I just watched Beavis and Butthead on TV and I laughed and almost cried! :\'(

I'm not a fan of Beavis and Butthead, but I see what you mean. Whenever I see an old episode or Rugrats or an old commercial from the '90s, I'll do the exact same thing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/11/06 at 5:40 pm

Beavis and Butthead were funny in a really moronic way (i.e. their logic in certain situations). ;D

Yeah, I think what you're saying makes some sense. To me there's really two different kinds of "your time". Yours is the more experience-based side of it (coming of age, first time moving out on your own, having a steady boyfriend or girlfriend, getting a good job). This covers anywhere from 14 to 30 or so.

The other "your time" is more childhood sentimental things (stuff you did with your family or your parents, getting into music on the radio, making your first friends at school and just getting your initial worldview). This is where it's more pop-culture based. Roughly age 4 to 12.

I'm around 4 years younger than you (1981-born, I just turned 25) and even though I'm more attached to '80s/early '90s music and family experiences, I feel the late '90s and '00s are "my time" personally if that makes sense.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/12/06 at 11:55 am

Yeah, I think what you're saying makes some sense. To me there's really two different kinds of "your time". Yours is the more experience-based side of it (coming of age, first time moving out on your own, having a steady boyfriend or girlfriend, getting a good job). This covers anywhere from 14 to 30 or so.

The other "your time" is more childhood sentimental things (stuff you did with your family or your parents, getting into music on the radio, making your first friends at school and just getting your initial worldview). This is where it's more pop-culture based. Roughly age 4 to 12.

I'm around 4 years younger than you (1981-born, I just turned 25) and even though I'm more attached to '80s/early '90s music and family experiences, I feel the late '90s and '00s are "my time" personally if that makes sense.

Yeah, I agree with you there. The 80's/early 90's take me back to my childhood days. I always get nostalgic about the family vacations I took as a kid, and the songs from that time to associate with them.

1993 to the present is when I look back and think of my high school days and my Navy career, and all the experiences I had during that time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/12/06 at 2:04 pm

Beavis and Butthead were funny in a really moronic way (i.e. their logic in certain situations). ;D

Yeah, I feel the same way about the '90s/'00s. My "childhood" time is about 1991-1999 roughly(that's when I was 4-12). I think in the future I'll be nostalgic for my time in the '00s(even though it might be hard to believe now).

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/14/06 at 7:59 pm

Responding to our discussion from page 3,

I think some of you guys reaction is because when you're a certain age, it weirds you out to think that people beyond another age is listening to the same pop music you are.  I still remember when I first started college, the first time I talked to a guy in his 30s (on something more of a equal level), I  was amazed how different he and many other 30 somethings were from my teachers and other "adults" in my world, because I had rarely bothered to mingle with anyone over the age  21 or perhaps 23 as a high school student.  I mean who does.  Though current kids have more internet access, which allows you to see a larger world beyond your teachers at school who fuss at you over everything.   

Ofcourse if you're younger, you do have the benefit of listening to older music and claiming that as a part of you.  You can listen to whatever you want that came before you.  But there reverse doesn't really work the same way.  (people claiming music much younger then them)     

Now I'm not getting into the "these years are my time" discussion.   8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/15/06 at 12:31 am

Responding to our discussion from page 3,

I think some of you guys reaction is because when you're a certain age, it weirds you out to think that people beyond another age is listening to the same pop music you are.  I still remember when I first started college, the first time I talked to a guy in his 30s (on something more of a equal level), I  was amazed how different he and many other 30 somethings were from my teachers and other "adults" in my world, because I had rarely bothered to mingle with anyone over the age  21 or perhaps 23 as a high school student.  I mean who does.  Though current kids have more internet access, which allows you to see a larger world beyond your teachers at school who fuss at you over everything. 

Ofcourse if you're younger, you do have the benefit of listening to older music and claiming that as a part of you.  You can listen to whatever you want that came before you.  But there reverse doesn't really work the same way.  (people claiming music much younger then them)   

Now I'm not getting into the "these years are my time" discussion.  8)

I agree with this. It used to be strange to me, for example, years ago whenever a new song came out and my mom liked it. She actually likes quite a few newer songs, and i used to think that was strange. Now that I've started to get a little older it really doesn't bother me that much anymore(hell, I don't really keep up with much new music myself).

I also agree that it's usually o.k(if not 'retro cool') for younger people to like older songs, but not for older people to like newer music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/06 at 8:46 am

I agree with this. It used to be strange to me, for example, years ago whenever a new song came out and my mom liked it. She actually likes quite a few newer songs, and i used to think that was strange. Now that I've started to get a little older it really doesn't bother me that much anymore(hell, I don't really keep up with much new music myself).

I also agree that it's usually o.k(if not 'retro cool') for younger people to like older songs, but not for older people to like newer music.

True, you can listen to anything when you're 7 or 10 years old and call it "yours" whether it really is or not. Sure, older people can be a fan of something, but they can't really claim it as their time.

Slightly off-topic:

For awhile, it seems to me that it's generally considered more "acceptable" for women to stay with the current trends than it is for men. Say, a 35 or 40-year old soccer mom listening to her kids' music or dressing younger and being buddy-like with her kids' friends is more often looked at as "cool" or at least alright (as long as it's not to the point of going too far and actually acting 13). Whereas a 40-year old dude blasting Linkin Park out of his car windows would be seen as this lame middle-aged man trying to hang onto his youth and looking unbelievably silly.

Yeah, that's a huge generalization (hope I'm not offending anybody ;) ), but there appears to be some truth in that, at least with how most people perceive it.

Just like yours, my mom also likes some current music at 52 and nobody really thinks anything of it. But my dad is 68 and likes '80s music (more the laid back "Every Breath You Take"-stuff, but still, for that age it was amazing) and there were people surprised by it I think. I had teachers who were shocked that he played Nintendo games with me growing up and all that.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/15/06 at 10:58 am

Depends on what kind of 40 year old man does it.  Brad Pitt (whose 43) or the stereotypical balding fat slob?  People can get away with different things, depending on who they are, what they look like, and how they carry themselves.

But I think you may be onto something, about women aging more gracefully then men.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/17/06 at 7:10 am

Depends on what kind of 40 year old man does it.  Brad Pitt (whose 43) or the stereotypical balding fat slob?  People can get away with different things, depending on who they are, what they look like, and how they carry themselves.

But I think you may be onto something, about women aging more gracefully then men.

Oh yeah, Brad Pitt-types (or, to go to the top of the list, Dick Clark) can definitely get away with that stuff. I basically did mean the "average" or older-looking 40ish men, although it really is individual. There are times I'm amazed certain people can be the same age, because how everyone acts, looks and carries themselves in daily situations can vary.

Of course things have changed alot, and almost everyone ackowledges that, but I guess there's still vague traces of that idea (which was pretty much how things were in the 1950s and before) that men are "supposed to" be the breadwinners and main providers for their family. So, as a result, society maybe pushes them a little harder to grow up.

Also, alot of culture is at least somewhat driven by fashion, which probably leans a little heavier on girls/women.

Check for new replies or respond here...