inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mariah Carey.....from then to now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 3:56 am

I know we have a few Mariah fans here, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss her, her music, her videos, favorite pictures of hers over the years....stuff like that.  In case you don't know that much about her, here's a refresher:

(I'm stealing Jason's formula for setting this up because he's good at it!)

-- BIOGRAPHY --

Mariah Carey (born March 27, 1970) is an American pop and R&B singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress. Carey made her debut in 1990 under the guidance of Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola and became the first recording act to have its first five singles top the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Following her marriage to Mottola in 1993, a series of hit records established her position as Columbia's highest-selling act. According to Billboard magazine, she was the most successful artist of the 1990s in the United States.

Carey took more control over her image and music following her separation from Mottola in 1997, and she introduced elements of hip hop into her album material. Her popularity was in decline when she left Columbia in 2001, and she was dropped by Virgin Records the following year after a highly publicized physical and emotional breakdown and the poor reception of Glitter, her film and soundtrack project. In 2002 Carey signed with Island/Def Jam, and after an unsuccessful period she returned to the forefront of pop music in 2005.

In 2000 the World Music Awards named Carey the best-selling female artist of all time, and she has recorded the most U.S. number-one singles for a female artist. In addition to her commercial accomplishments, she is well-known for her melismatic singing voice, vocal range, power, and technical ability. Some critics have said that Carey's efforts to showcase her vocal talents have been at the expense of communicating true emotion through song.

-- ALBUMS --

1990 - Mariah Carey
1991 - Emotions
1992 - MTV Unplugged
1993 - Music Box
1994 - Merry Christmas (the biggest selling Christmas album of all time)
1995 - Daydream
1997 - Butterfly
1998 - #1's
1999 - Rainbow
2001 - Glitter
2001 - Greatest Hits
2002 - Charmbracelet
2003 - The Remixes
2005 - The Emancipation of Mimi

-- HIT SINGLES --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariah_Carey_singles_discography -->  She's had too many to put down here!

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

Too many to list here, but here are some of my faves:

I Don't Wanna Cry --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIJDYVDXQ4
I'll Be There --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WJAY6bLvg
Without You --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOR_jq9M53c
Forever --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbNn2qGkfw
The Roof --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FIj-aB9AI

Subject: Re: Mariah Carey.....from then to now.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/06 at 4:37 am

Mariah Carey is a good singer.  I have some of her stuff ... "All I Want For Christmas is You" single, "Glitter" and the "Loverboy" single, "Charmbracelet" with accompanying singles "Through the Rain" and "Boy (I Need You)" and the 2CD "Greatest Hits"

That wikipedia page has chart positions.  I love looking at those 8)

I knew "Against All Odds" was not popular in the States, but I would have thought it to be atleast a minor hit  :o

Those numbers for "Charmbracelet" in the Billboard Chart are quite a shock.  Must've been the backlack from Glitter ... "Glitter was bad, so Charmbracelet will be even worse?".  I still think "Charmbracelet" is her best album yet :)

Written By: woops on 10/28/06 at 4:44 am

Great singer, though I like "Honey" and her soulful cover of "Without You"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 4:50 am

Mariah Carey is a good singer.  I have some of her stuff ... "All I Want For Christmas is You" single, "Glitter" and the "Loverboy" single, "Charmbracelet" with accompanying singles "Through the Rain" and "Boy (I Need You)" and the 2CD "Greatest Hits"

That wikipedia page has chart positions.  I love looking at those 8)

I knew "Against All Odds" was not popular in the States, but I would have thought it to be atleast a minor hit  :o

Those numbers for "Charmbracelet" in the Billboard Chart are quite a shock.  Must've been the backlack from Glitter ... "Glitter was bad, so Charmbracelet will be even worse?".  I still think "Charmbracelet" is her best album yet :)

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd enjoy the chart positions aspect of that page.  The reason I gave the link is because she's had so many hits, putting them all down with their respective countries, placement, sales....would have taken up too much space. 

I like Charmbracelet too, but my problem with it is that it was coming so soon after Glitter and you could tell her voice wasn't as good as it used to be, or what it was on Emancipation.  Some of the songs are great, but some others just aren't that good.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/28/06 at 12:04 pm

I really liked Mariah Carey when she first came out...she had some really great songs. I also really love her Christmas album...I end up listening to it every Christmas season.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/06 at 4:48 pm

Mariah is great, it was nice to see her comeback and be so successful in 2005.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/06 at 5:12 pm

I've loved her from the very beginning.

Fave albums: Mariah Carey, Emotions, Music Box, Butterfly, Daydream, Rainbow, and the Emancipation of Mimi

Fave tracks:

Mariah Carey
All Alone in Love
All in Your Mind
Vanishing
Sent From Up Above

Emotions
Can't Let Go
If It's Over
Til The End of Time
You're So Cold
So Blessed

Music Box
Anytime You Need A Friend
Music Box
Now That I Know
All That I Ever Wanted
I've Been Thinking About You

Butterfly
Butterfly
Honey
Breakdown
The Roof
My All

Daydream
Underneath the Stars
Fantasy (remix)
Looking In
Melt Away
Long Ago
Open Arms

Merry Christmas
All I Want For Christmas is You

The Emancipation of Mimi
Fly Like a Bird
Say Somethin'
Get Your Number
Stay the Night

1's
Sweetheart

Rainbow
X-Girlfriend
Petals
Heartbreaker
How Much
Against All Odds

Charmbracelet
Bringin' on the Heartbreak (I love her version just as much as Def Leppard's)

So as you can see I'm a major fan. I do tend to favor her "filler" songs more so than the ones she chose as hit singles (they are still good though).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 5:23 pm

I've loved her from the very beginning.

Fave albums: Mariah Carey, Emotions, Music Box, Butterfly, Daydream, Rainbow, and the Emancipation of Mimi

Fave tracks:

Mariah Carey
All Alone in Love
All in Your Mind
Vanishing
Sent From Up Above

Emotions
Can't Let Go
If It's Over
Til The End of Time
You're So Cold
So Blessed

Music Box
Anytime You Need A Friend
Music Box
Now That I Know
All That I Ever Wanted
I've Been Thinking About You

Butterfly
Butterfly
Honey
Breakdown
The Roof
My All

Daydream
Underneath the Stars
Fantasy (remix)
Looking In
Melt Away
Long Ago
Open Arms

Merry Christmas
All I Want For Christmas is You

The Emancipation of Mimi
Fly Like a Bird
Say Somethin'
Get Your Number
Stay the Night

1's
Sweetheart

Rainbow
X-Girlfriend
Petals
Heartbreaker
How Much
Against All Odds

Charmbracelet
Bringin' on the Heartbreak (I love her version just as much as Def Leppard's)

So as you can see I'm a major fan. I do tend to favor her "filler" songs more so than the ones she chose as hit singles (they are still good though).

Karma for being freakin' amazing.  And a big fan.  I can't disagree with any of the choices you made.  Especially on Daydream.....I would have loved to see Long Ago or Melt Away as a single.  That is probably her best album to date.....that was the album that made it okay for pop artists to work with hip-hop artists/producers and not lose credibility with their larger fanbase.  If it wasn't for her.....a lot of the younger artists you see today wouldn't be around.  I would add Forever, though.  I've always loved that song. 

AND YOU PICKED IF IT'S OVER!!  You're like the only other person besides me who I know likes that song.  Awesomeness.  To the Emotions set, I would add And You Don't Remember.  Kind of an underrated song, but I usually play it instead of Emotions when I play the album. 

From the Music Box list, I was surprised to see Now That I Know and Music Box.  Most people who pick the songs they like from that album, go straight to Dreamlover and Hero.  Music Box is so good.....why on God's earth wasn't it a single?!  I don't know if you've heard it, but I can send you the song that SHOULD have made the album in the United States but only ended up on European releases, Everything Fades Away.  It is so beautiful, you'll want to kick Sony for not sticking it on there when they had the chance.

Can't disagree with your Butterfly choices, either.  The Roof is my favorite song off that album AND the best video from that album.  I would add Close My Eyes to my list, though.  One of her more personal songs and it's kind of along the same lines as Looking In, which you picked.

Under Rainbow.....yup.  I love X-Girlfriend.....really bitchy.  She does bitchy well.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this list.  You notice that a lot of her so-called "filler" songs are better than some single choices.  That's why for one album, I'd like the fans to be in charge of what singles she releases.  I think we'd hit the songs that work the best, not necessarily the ones that scream "SINGLE". 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 12:27 am

one Christmas shopping season many years ago when Mariah had only been popular for a couple years, a lady approached me at Best Buy & asked me who the female singer was that was real popular & could hit these really high notes. Her daughter told her she wanted a CD by her, & the mom fogot the name, so I wanted to help, but wasn't sure who, when it suddenly came to me. I told her it was Gloria Estefan.  :-[  I wonder if she bought that and ruined her daughters Christmas. When I was on my way home I realized my mistake and felt bad that i hadn't said Mariah Carey.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/29/06 at 9:24 am

Karma for being freakin' amazing.  And a big fan.  I can't disagree with any of the choices you made.  Especially on Daydream.....I would have loved to see Long Ago or Melt Away as a single.  That is probably her best album to date.....that was the album that made it okay for pop artists to work with hip-hop artists/producers and not lose credibility with their larger fanbase.  If it wasn't for her.....a lot of the younger artists you see today wouldn't be around.  I would add Forever, though.  I've always loved that song. 

AND YOU PICKED IF IT'S OVER!!  You're like the only other person besides me who I know likes that song.  Awesomeness.  To the Emotions set, I would add And You Don't Remember.  Kind of an underrated song, but I usually play it instead of Emotions when I play the album. 

From the Music Box list, I was surprised to see Now That I Know and Music Box.  Most people who pick the songs they like from that album, go straight to Dreamlover and Hero.  Music Box is so good.....why on God's earth wasn't it a single?!  I don't know if you've heard it, but I can send you the song that SHOULD have made the album in the United States but only ended up on European releases, Everything Fades Away.  It is so beautiful, you'll want to kick Sony for not sticking it on there when they had the chance.

Can't disagree with your Butterfly choices, either.  The Roof is my favorite song off that album AND the best video from that album.  I would add Close My Eyes to my list, though.  One of her more personal songs and it's kind of along the same lines as Looking In, which you picked.

Under Rainbow.....yup.  I love X-Girlfriend.....really bitchy.  She does bitchy well.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this list.  You notice that a lot of her so-called "filler" songs are better than some single choices.  That's why for one album, I'd like the fans to be in charge of what singles she releases.  I think we'd hit the songs that work the best, not necessarily the ones that scream "SINGLE". 

Kudos to you for knowing that Mariah's Fantasy created the pop/rap collabo!!! You hear that Justin Timberlake!!!  Yes, Long Ago or Melt Away should've been singles!! But, of course Tommy "I want to control every freaking thing" Mottola wouldn't have allowed it. Too urban, he'd say - Ass is what I say!! lol. I wanted to add "And You Don't Remember", but I didn't want to add another chapter to the book I was writing. It was supposed to be a reply post, lol. But when you are talking about Mariah, you really shouldn't create limitations! "Forever" is very whimsical to me too!!! I think others don't like "If It's Over" because it feels gospel-y to them. Stupid is what I say because it's a good track. I can't believe Carole King helped her with that!!! Excuse me why I kill (once again) the ending of the long note! lol

As for Hero, it's a nice song. But I can't listen to it too often. Now That I know was a great collabo with Coles(rest in peace)/Civilles! I love them! Music Box and Trey Lorenz....can I say more? When I first got the tape (yes, that far back in the day), it was the first song, I would rewind over and over!! Butterfly was one of her albums that many thought was like WTF..she's urban now. Hello, she always was, but not many paid attention. Rainbow...ahaha..X-Girlfriend..pure bitchiness...I love it...."You can call his mother as much as you want to and he won't really care"..lol!

You are so right on the money about her "filler" songs being better than the single choices she made. Seriously, I think she would've picked them out herself, if she wasn't so damn bombarded with Tommy's workings in it. He wanted her to be a pop diva. Ms. Honeybfly's voice is so much more than that. She's a pop/r&b chick. Don't deny her that!!! Umm, Tommy, have you listened to the Emancipation of Mimi, much? Yeah, of course you have. Keep working on that Thalia or whatever her name is. She pales in comparison. You can't make her into Mimi!!!

*jumps off soapbox*
(P.S. I agree with you on the Charmbracelet album...she rushed it too soon. She wasn't ready. The songs weren't that strong. But as you see I loved Bringin' On the Heartbreak!)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/29/06 at 12:06 pm

Kudos to you for knowing that Mariah's Fantasy created the pop/rap collabo!!! You hear that Justin Timberlake!!!  Yes, Long Ago or Melt Away should've been singles!! But, of course Tommy "I want to control every freaking thing" Mottola wouldn't have allowed it. Too urban, he'd say - Ass is what I say!! lol. I wanted to add "And You Don't Remember", but I didn't want to add another chapter to the book I was writing. It was supposed to be a reply post, lol. But when you are talking about Mariah, you really shouldn't create limitations! "Forever" is very whimsical to me too!!! I think others don't like "If It's Over" because it feels gospel-y to them. Stupid is what I say because it's a good track. I can't believe Carole King helped her with that!!! Excuse me why I kill (once again) the ending of the long note! lol

As for Hero, it's a nice song. But I can't listen to it too often. Now That I know was a great collabo with Coles(rest in peace)/Civilles! I love them! Music Box and Trey Lorenz....can I say more? When I first got the tape (yes, that far back in the day), it was the first song, I would rewind over and over!! Butterfly was one of her albums that many thought was like WTF..she's urban now. Hello, she always was, but not many paid attention. Rainbow...ahaha..X-Girlfriend..pure bitchiness...I love it...."You can call his mother as much as you want to and he won't really care"..lol!

You are so right on the money about her "filler" songs being better than the single choices she made. Seriously, I think she would've picked them out herself, if she wasn't so damn bombarded with Tommy's workings in it. He wanted her to be a pop diva. Ms. Honeybfly's voice is so much more than that. She's a pop/r&b chick. Don't deny her that!!! Umm, Tommy, have you listened to the Emancipation of Mimi, much? Yeah, of course you have. Keep working on that Thalia or whatever her name is. She pales in comparison. You can't make her into Mimi!!!

*jumps off soapbox*
(P.S. I agree with you on the Charmbracelet album...she rushed it too soon. She wasn't ready. The songs weren't that strong. But as you see I loved Bringin' On the Heartbreak!)

Yeah, I thought her cover of BOTH was great.  What I liked more than that though, was the fact that Def Leppard liked it as well and told their fans to give it a listen.  Whenever the original artist can get behind your cover, that's usually a good thing.  There's a few other songs on Charmbracelet I like, like Lullaby and Subtle Invitation, but that's about it.  It's not my most-played Mariah album.

As for Fantasy, she took a huge risk that paid off.  I think what made it work was her voice....had some other pop singer at the time attempted it, it more than likely wouldn't have worked.  The fact that she's always liked hip-hop/rap/urban music and the fact that she knew the right people to work with pretty much made it fool-proof.  Some of my favorite remixes of Fantasy are the ones Puffy did.  I was glad to see her working with Jermaine Dupri again on Emancipation.....I really liked Always Be My Baby and I believe he co-wrote/produced that with her.  I can see how people say she took away a good portion of her fanbase by doing it, but she also added a much larger piece to it.  People who otherwise wouldn't have even bought an album of hers, bought Daydream and then later on, Butterfly.  I would like her to stop with the rent-a-rapper thing, though.  Not every song needs a rapper in the background, dear. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/29/06 at 9:53 pm

Yeah, I thought her cover of BOTH was great.  What I liked more than that though, was the fact that Def Leppard liked it as well and told their fans to give it a listen.  Whenever the original artist can get behind your cover, that's usually a good thing.  There's a few other songs on Charmbracelet I like, like Lullaby and Subtle Invitation, but that's about it.  It's not my most-played Mariah album.

As for Fantasy, she took a huge risk that paid off.  I think what made it work was her voice....had some other pop singer at the time attempted it, it more than likely wouldn't have worked.  The fact that she's always liked hip-hop/rap/urban music and the fact that she knew the right people to work with pretty much made it fool-proof.  Some of my favorite remixes of Fantasy are the ones Puffy did.  I was glad to see her working with Jermaine Dupri again on Emancipation.....I really liked Always Be My Baby and I believe he co-wrote/produced that with her.  I can see how people say she took away a good portion of her fanbase by doing it, but she also added a much larger piece to it.  People who otherwise wouldn't have even bought an album of hers, bought Daydream and then later on, Butterfly.  I would like her to stop with the rent-a-rapper thing, though.  Not every song needs a rapper in the background, dear. 

hahaha I love that "rent a rapper" line!!

Check for new replies or respond here...