inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Darkwing duck

Written By: analogue on 11/19/06 at 5:24 pm

Anyone remember this cartoon?

I loved it, used to watch it religiously

Subject: Re: Darkwing duck

Written By: nally on 11/19/06 at 5:28 pm

Yes, it was part of the "Disney Afternoon" in the early 90's. As I recall, it premiered in 1991. One of the characters from Ducktales, Launchpad McQuack, was also on DD.

I also remember the theme music: "When there's trouble, you call D.W.!...Let's get dangerous!!"

Written By: analogue on 11/19/06 at 5:50 pm

Here's the opening theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgLRO_KLt8

Here's the opening theme without any singing - It's really funky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mksYl8WTr9o

Written By: nally on 11/19/06 at 5:54 pm

Holy ferragamo, there was an instrumental version (ie, with the vocals edited out)?? :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/19/06 at 11:46 pm

I love this show. Just brought the DVD that came out for it earlier this year.

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/06 at 3:03 am

Yes, it was part of the "Disney Afternoon" in the early 90's. As I recall, it premiered in 1991. One of the characters from Ducktales, Launchpad McQuack, was also on DD.

Darkwing Duck was a spin-off from Ducktales.  Fenton Crackshell (aka GismoDuck) also made a few appearances in the series

Written By: nally on 11/20/06 at 11:40 am

Darkwing Duck was a spin-off from Ducktales.  Fenton Crackshell (aka GismoDuck) also made a few appearances in the series

I don't think I've seen Fenton Crackshell in any episodes of DWD. All I know is that GismoDuck was his alter ego in Ducktales.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/20/06 at 10:33 pm

I don't think I've seen Fenton Crackshell in any episodes of DWD. All I know is that GismoDuck was his alter ego in Ducktales.

I think I remember seeing Fenton Crackshell on one episode. He actually wound up staying at Darkwings(Drake Mallards) house for a little while :D

Written By: 90skid555 on 11/21/06 at 10:12 am

I remember that show I liked it

Written By: nally on 11/21/06 at 11:27 am

I think I remember seeing Fenton Crackshell on one episode. He actually wound up staying at Darkwings(Drake Mallards) house for a little while :D

I must not have seen this particular ep. Is it still on Toon Disney? Maybe I'll catch it sometime.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/06 at 11:38 am

I must not have seen this particular ep. Is it still on Toon Disney? Maybe I'll catch it sometime.

Nope. Unfortunatly it hasn't came on TD for almost 2 years. Actually it dosen't come on television at all any more :(

Written By: nally on 11/21/06 at 11:42 am

Nope. Unfortunatly it hasn't came on TD for almost 2 years. Actually it dosen't come on television at all any more :(

That's a shame. :-[ I miss all those great shows.

When I first got Toon Disney, back in 2001, I used to watch my favourite Disney cartoons from the early 90's (and some late 80's, like Ducktales) a lot. But now it seems they're jumping the shark. ::) I wish they'd still air them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/06 at 11:44 am

That's a shame. :-[ I miss all those great shows.

When I first got Toon Disney, back in 2001, I used to watch my favourite Disney cartoons from the early 90's (and some late 80's, like Ducktales) a lot. But now it seems they're jumping the shark. ::) I wish they'd still air them.

I have 2 (1 hour long) video tapes of "Duck Tales", that I picked up at Goodwill one day...Vaughn loves to watch them! :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 5:29 pm

I think DuckTales held a record for longest running non-prime time children's cartoon...I couldn't remember a day up until my teen years when DuckTales wasn't on in some capacity.

Darkwing Duck was awesome.  I liked the guest heroes/villains, and I believe that Tim Curry voiced Agent Grizzlikoff of SHUSH.

Written By: nally on 11/21/06 at 11:26 pm

I think DuckTales held a record for longest running non-prime time children's cartoon...I couldn't remember a day up until my teen years when DuckTales wasn't on in some capacity.

How long did it run? I think it premiered in 1987, and what I saw during 1991-92 seemed like reruns at the time...but I could be wrong about that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/06 at 10:25 am

I liked that show as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/22/06 at 12:40 pm

How long did it run? I think it premiered in 1987, and what I saw during 1991-92 seemed like reruns at the time...but I could be wrong about that.

Yeah, I think they stopped making new episodes in '90 or '91, but the show was on in syndication for years. I remember seeing some episodes of it on network t.v.(our local Fox station in the afternoons) as late as 1998.

Written By: nally on 11/22/06 at 12:44 pm

Yeah, I think they stopped making new episodes in '90 or '91, but I the show was on in syndication for years. I remember seeing some episodes of it on network t.v.(our local Fox station in the afternoons) as late as 1998.

My independent affiliate (KCAL-9) aired it as part of the "Disney Afternoon" until mid-1992...and they brought it back some years later. I think they took it off for good in 1998.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/22/06 at 1:06 pm

My independent affiliate (KCAL-9) aired it as part of the "Disney Afternoon" until mid-1992...and they brought it back some years later. I think they took it off for good in 1998.

Yeah, they took it off the Disney Afternoon around then to replace it with some of there newer(at the time)shows. I always thought the Disney Afternoon was pretty neat and I tried to watch it when I could. I can't remember how long it stayed on t.v., up until the late '90s maybe?

Written By: nally on 11/22/06 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, they took it off the Disney Afternoon around then to replace it with some of there newer(at the time)shows. I always thought the Disney Afternoon was pretty neat and I tried to watch it when I could. I can't remember how long it stayed on t.v., up until the late '90s maybe?

I think so.

I just know that I watched it regularly in the early 90's...even though I was in my pre-teens at the time. I enjoyed TDA as well; it was like a precursor to Toon Disney (prior to 2005, that is). In our area (Los Angeles), it aired from 3pm-5pm on KCAL-9.

I think the 1990-91 lineup was something like this:

Gummi Bears
Ducktales
Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers
TaleSpin

Then in '91, DWD was introduced, so Gummi Bears was taken off the lineup and everything else moved back one time slot:

Ducktales
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck

Then in '92, the "Goof Troop" show was introduced, and so "CDRR", "TS" and "DWD" were moved back another timeslot; after that, I didn't watch quite as much kid-oriented TV. I think "Aladdin" and "101 Dalmatians: The Series" were among the subsequent shows that premiered each season after that. I was a big fan of "Ducktales" and "Rescue Rangers".

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/22/06 at 9:48 pm

I used to have a VHS. I watched it once. I forget it.

Written By: nally on 11/22/06 at 10:35 pm

^ erm...you watched this show on VHS?

Written By: rich1981 on 11/22/06 at 11:46 pm

I think so.

I just know that I watched it regularly in the early 90's...even though I was in my pre-teens at the time. I enjoyed TDA as well; it was like a precursor to Toon Disney (prior to 2005, that is). In our area (Los Angeles), it aired from 3pm-5pm on KCAL-9.

I think the 1990-91 lineup was something like this:

Gummi Bears
Ducktales
TaleSpin

Then in '91, DWD was introduced, so Gummi Bears was taken off the lineup and everything else moved back one time slot:

Ducktales
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck

Then in '92, the "Goof Troop" show was introduced, and so "CDRR", "TS" and "DWD" were moved back another timeslot; after that, I didn't watch quite as much kid-oriented TV. I think "Aladdin" and "101 Dalmatians: The Series" were among the subsequent shows that premiered each season after that. I was a big fan of "Ducktales" and "Rescue Rangers".

Yes, I recall those Disney Channel lineups as you've listed it above.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/23/06 at 11:27 pm

^ erm...you watched this show on VHS?

Yeah, it had two or three episodes.

Written By: nally on 11/23/06 at 11:38 pm

Yes, I recall those Disney Channel lineups as you've listed it above.

Wait...Disney Channel? I was just recapping the lineups of the Disney Afternoon in the early 90's.

However, I do happen to know that The Disney Channel aired those programs after they went off the Disney Afternoon, even though I didn't have cable tv at the time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/25/06 at 1:39 am

I used to have a VHS. I watched it once. I forget it.

Yeah, they came out with 4 different DWD tapes for VHS, 2 of them with 2 episodes on it. I think I had all 4.

Check for new replies or respond here...