inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Divergence in length of m/f shorts in 90s: homophobia?

Written By: mc on 12/10/06 at 8:00 pm

This post reminded me of something that's always irked me about the 90s.

During the 70s and 80s, the length of mens' and womens' short pants tended to be about the same length.  In the 70s and first half of the 80s, the prevailing length was super short, just below the crotch (think: daisy dukes).  Around 1987 or 1988, the length for both men and women started to become longer, down to a couple inches above the knee by 1991.  In the early 90s, the grunge style of long and baggy shorts was in for both genders.

Then, starting sometime, I'm not sure --- I wasn't particularly paying attention at first --- around 1995-ish, females started to wear shorter and shorter shorts until basically they were back to the daisy dukes circa 1980, but the males were still wearing long shorts, sometimes even below the knee --- almost like clam diggers.

Why did this happen??

Could it be some kind of manifestation of homophobia?  During the 90s I sometimes heard teenage boys yelling "fag" at men wearing short shorts.  Several summers ago, I was walking across a university campus on a hot day and saw a guy wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and long pants telling his female companion (wearing short shorts and a halter top) that he dressed that way because otherwise he felt "naked".  My theory is that starting in the 80s and then really big time in the 90s, there was a lot more male skin and homoeroticism in advertising (think of the Bowflex ads of the early/mid 80s, and the Calvin Klein ads of the 90s).  So, for the first time, a lot of men knew what it was like to be seen as sex objects, and they started to feel more uncomfortable about revealing their own skin.  They started to favor longer shorts, baggier pants in general.  I think even the tank-top trend of the late 90s was killed when it started to be associated with gay men and boy bands.

Subject: Re: Divergence in length of m/f shorts in 90s: homophobia?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/10/06 at 8:57 pm

I don't think it was primarily homophobia.  Recall that back in the 80s and before, NBA players used to wear some ludicrously (by our modern standards, anyway) short shorts.  Then, when "urban" basketball made its mark in the NBA, even superstars like Michael Jordan, Karl Malone and others started to shift to the knee-hugging shorts.  So I think it's a matter of a shift in pop culture rather than boys thinking they'd look gay.

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/10/06 at 9:33 pm

I think it is changing fashions and perceptions, but I agree in some circles short shorts are seen as faggy - tight jeans, and 'three-quater' or cut-off pants are the same. Your point about homo-eroticism interests me - in the 60s and 70s, short shorts weren't viewed as 'sexy' or anything - on the whole, at least, and just seemed normal. They persisted - in some form or another - into the 90s, before Urban/grunge fashion and culture took over, and very long 'shorts' became fashionable. Shorts became longest and baggiest circa 1998-2003 (ludicrously so), but have become more reasonable in the years following.

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/10/06 at 10:02 pm

I know it sounds stupid, but do you think the fact teenage girls today are wearing shorter pants/skirts (probably peaking about '04) than in the 90s (when they were mainly worn by certain cliches), indicative or reflective of females, I don't know, becoming a bit more 'objectified?' In the 90s, girls tended to wear baggier, less provocative clothing (i.e. overalls, cardigans) - and still be popular, but now it seems those fashions are uber-daggy. Any thoughts?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:20 pm

short shorts on men look odd. *think Richard Simmons*. :P

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/10/06 at 10:23 pm

You just need the right man to model them  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:27 pm

You just need the right man to model them  ;)

I don't like to ever see that much of a man's leg. :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/10/06 at 10:30 pm

What if he waxes his legs? lol

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/10/06 at 10:31 pm

What if it looked just like a woman's leg?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:33 pm

What if he waxes his legs? lol

What if it looked just like a woman's leg?

I dunno...maybe I'm strange...but I never found seeing that much of a man's body to be attractive...especially the top of his legs.  Like..those chippendale's strippers always made me sick. :P

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/10/06 at 10:33 pm

I dunno...maybe I'm strange...but I never found seeing that much of a man's body to be attractive...especially the top of his legs.  Like..those chippendale's strippers always made me sick. :P

You is a strange one!

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:35 pm

but they sure FEEL sexy.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:36 pm

You is a strange one!

I guess I am...I never could EVER see a male stripper...that would gross me out to no end. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/10/06 at 10:43 pm

I guess I am...I never could EVER see a male stripper...that would gross me out to no end. ;D

Strippers in general gross me out.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/06 at 10:49 pm

Strippers in general gross me out.
a lot of times you think you need to perch a folded 20 on your nose? but usually a single will do just as well. trust me on this.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/11/06 at 1:19 am

[quote author=mc

Written By: Satish on 12/11/06 at 9:53 am

Recall that back in the 80s and before, NBA players used to wear some ludicrously (by our modern standards, anyway) short shorts.  Then, when "urban" basketball made its mark in the NBA, even superstars like Michael Jordan, Karl Malone and others started to shift to the knee-hugging shorts.

Yeah, basketball players before the 90s used to wear much shorter shorts than they've worn since. And I remember that soccer players, too, before the 90s, used to wear much shorter, tight fitting shorts.

I don't know what the reason is that men don't wear short shorts anymore. Short shorts would probably be considered "girlie," nowadays. I think part of the reason might be because there's more pressure on men to not show any body hair in public(a lot of men these days actually undergo body waxing and other hair removal techniques).  Wearing longer shorts would be a good way to cover up a guy's hairy legs.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/06 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, basketball players before the 90s used to wear much shorter shorts than they've worn since. And I remember that soccer players, too, before the 90s, used to wear much shorter, tight fitting shorts.

Beat me to it.  The longer mens shorts seem to coincide with the fashion of the basketball players wearing the longer shorts.  I also remember that the players pushed for the longer shorts and the league was against it(what was that all about?), but the biggest players(Jordan et al) said that they were going to wear the longer style or not play so the league backed down.

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/11/06 at 11:46 pm

I don't know what the reason is that men don't wear short shorts anymore. Short shorts would probably be considered "girlie," nowadays. I think part of the reason might be because there's more pressure on men to not show any body hair in public(a lot of men these days actually undergo body waxing and other hair removal techniques).  Wearing longer shorts would be a good way to cover up a guy's hairy legs.

Maybe Hairy legs have gone out of fashion?

I know Hairy chests sure have... ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...