inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Do I Miss Most About The 90's?

Written By: IrishLass13 on 12/15/06 at 7:06 am

I miss being a kid. I miss the Freedom of being a kid. I miss SNICK & old time Nickalodean(however you spell it). I miss the Green Slime of the game shows, and those cookie pie coasters. I miss Keenan & Kel, Amanda Bynes. Are You Afraid Of The Dark? I miss the boredom of being in a small town and young with nothing to do but make up fun games and spend all day laughing. I miss playing tag at night around the lamp posts. I miss the carefree attitude and all the good friends I made. I miss not having to care what I wore, what my hair looked like, what I listened to or how I acted. I miss the heartbreak. I miss Ghost Writer and the cooky clues. I miss the taco bell dog & Stick Stickly. I miss the music. I miss 90's MTV & VH1. I miss Ren & Stimpy and their wierd relationship with toenails. I miss Full House, Family Matters, Married With Children, Step By Step, Rosanne SALUTE YOUR SHORTS!, Home Improvement, The Nanny, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, The Cosby Show, Harry & The Hendersons, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper and DINASAURS! I miss Kids in the Hall. I miss The Wonder Years, 90210, My So-Called Life, Party of Five, Doogie Howser & Dawson's Creek, MacGyver, Animorphs, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Xena: The Warrior Princess, Yan Can Cook, Clarrissa Explains it All, Blossom, Saved By The Bell, The Adventure's of Pete & Pete, Boy Meets World, Mad About You, In Living Color, Coach & The Golden Girls. I miss Cheers!, The Baby-Sitter's Club, Beavis & Butthead, Darkwing Duck, Mystery Science Theatre 3000, Dinner & A Movie, Ricki Lake & Rosie O'Donnel, Rugrat's, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, Aahh! Real Monsters, Hey! Arnold, Bill Nye The Science Guy, Cat-Dog, American Gladiator's, This is the true story of seven strangers, picked to live in a house, and have their lives taped, to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting REAL! Bad boys, bad boys, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?  MTV Unplugged, Pop Up Video, Unsolved Mysteries, Real World, Road Rules, Loveline, Pager's and What's a Cell Phone? Rollerblades! American Girls, Polly Pocket, Super Soakers, Furby & pogs, Goosebumps, Beanie Babies, Where did these credit cards come from? Where did all the money go? Adam Sandler's Christmas songs. Christmas, Cosmic Bowling and Laser Tag, Sega, Tomb Raider, Kick him to the curb!, Wazzup?, She's all that and a bag of chips., 24/7, N'um sayin'?, As if!, Whatever...., I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. But most of all, I MISS THE 90'S!!!!!!!  DON'T YOU????

Subject: Re: What Do I Miss Most About The 90's?

Written By: 90skid555 on 12/15/06 at 10:00 am

I miss the 90s too

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/15/06 at 3:10 pm

I think I miss the fact that not everyone had a cellphone attatched to their hip (at least late into the decade). And, not everyone had a computer so we got out more and did more stuff outside and instead let TV warp our minds,  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/15/06 at 3:30 pm

I think I miss the fact that not everyone had a cellphone attatched to their hip (at least late into the decade). And, not everyone had a computer so we got out more and did more stuff outside and instead let TV warp our minds,  ;D

Very true. Even though I have one myself, I can't technically complain, but I get sick of seeing everyone and their uncle chatting on their cellphone in public. Before 1999, you rarely saw more than rich folks or business types with them (and they didn't totally saturate down to the point of, say 6th graders having them until about 2003). People used those gigantic car phones, lol.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/15/06 at 3:51 pm

Very true. Even though I have one myself, I can't technically complain, but I get sick of seeing everyone and their uncle chatting on their cellphone in public. Before 1999, you rarely saw more than rich folks or business types with them (and they didn't totally saturate down to the point of, say 6th graders having them until about 2003). People used those gigantic car phones, lol.

Exactly! I mean, they are great for the right purposes, but they've really become big business. I often think of this movie I had to watch for my English college course about 4 years ago called "Avalon" and how before the TV was invented how the family united for dinner in much different ways and then when the TV got more and more famous, the more it took the family away from the dinner table and into the family room. New technology does this and unfortunately we suffer the social consequences.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/15/06 at 4:25 pm

I miss the '90s alot. Mostly the early/mid '90s, but in some ways even 1999ish is starting to seem old now.

And yeah,  Cell phone usage has defidently gone through the roof since the start of this decade. Just the idea of me or any of my classmates having cell phones back when I was in elementary/middle school in the '90s, is crazy to me. They defidently seemed like an item that only the rich had.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 4:26 pm

Exactly! Sometimes I look around at how technical our society has gotten, and is still getting...and it just makes me wish for a simpler time. :-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/15/06 at 4:33 pm

Exactly! Sometimes I look around at how technical our society has gotten, and is still getting...and it just makes me wish for a simpler time. :-\\

Yeah, exactly. I mean so many kids these days have no idea what it's like to be without a cell phone. I wish parents had not been so lenient with them to let them have one. I know they probably like it for safety reasons, but they are really creating a monster in the process. I guess I sound old-fashioned, lol  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, exactly. I mean so many kids these days have no idea what it's like to be without a cell phone. I wish parents had not been so lenient with them to let them have one. I know they probably like it for safety reasons, but they are really creating a monster in the process. I guess I sound old-fashioned, lol  ;D

old-fashioned is good, IMO.  Children today are so completely different than we were when we were younger. They rely SO much on technical thing (cell phones, MP3 players, video game systems, etc)...and it's just going to keep getting worse. I wish so much that I could find a time travel machine....because if I did, this decade would be "ancient history" to me...I'd be back in time, for sure!  ;) :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/15/06 at 4:45 pm

old-fashioned is good, IMO.  Children today are so completely different than we were when we were younger. They rely SO much on technical thing (cell phones, MP3 players, video game systems, etc)...and it's just going to keep getting worse. I wish so much that I could find a time travel machine....because if I did, this decade would be "ancient history" to me...I'd be back in time, for sure!  ;) :D

It is. But, to just be knowledgable of new technology and be familiar with how it works is okay, but I think there should be limits to some of this stuff. I guess it's one of those things that puts you in the "in" crowd if you have such a thing and if you don't, then you're considered behind the times. I actually just bought a MP3 player for the first time and yes, I am excited about it, but I am not going to take it every place I go unless I'm on a bus or train or walking/running and want some entertainment. I don't need a video IPod because I would rather do something like that at home on my computer if I were to watch anything. I have to admit, when I was young, I did enjoy playing video games, but I think I have fonder memories playing outside with friends than playing with video games.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 4:47 pm

It is. But, to just be knowledgable of new technology and be familiar with how it works is okay, but I think there should be limits to some of this stuff. I guess it's one of those things that puts you in the "in" crowd if you have such a thing and if you don't, then you're considered behind the times. I actually just bought a MP3 player for the first time and yes, I am excited about it, but I am not going to take it every place I go unless I'm on a bus or train or walking/running and want some entertainment. I don't need a video IPod because I would rather do something like that at home on my computer if I were to watch anything. I have to admit, when I was young, I did enjoy playing video games, but I think I have fonder memories playing outside with friends than playing with video games.

I agree. I have an MP3 player...but I am not totally dependent on it, like some people are. And...I am not the type of person that has to have the newest/best/most advanced piece of equipment out there.  Yes, when I was young...we did nothing but play outside....all day long. ;)

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/15/06 at 8:29 pm

I miss everything about the '90s, especially 1993-1997. The late '90s aren't old enough for me though.

Carolina Circle Mall, television, great computer games, great toys, and even more were what really made the '90s great.

Here's to you, '90s! :) May you always outshine the '00s. ;D

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/16/06 at 1:09 am

I miss better music, movies, and pro wrestling.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 1:21 am

Grade school, sometimes.

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/16/06 at 1:35 am

My hair.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/30/06 at 6:28 pm

The television, the music, movies, etc.

Written By: 90skid555 on 01/04/07 at 12:39 pm

I miss all those great cartoons back in the 90s

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/04/07 at 1:35 pm

Collecting Lisa Frank stickers, wanting to be a fashion model/designer (those dreams were dashed when I couldn't get taller than my current height 5'1'' - lol), coming home from school and watching Lip Service on MTV, etc.

Written By: Marian on 01/04/07 at 1:51 pm

I miss when figure skating and gymnastics got better coverage on T.V.But at least there's a lot on You tube!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/04/07 at 2:00 pm

I miss when figure skating and gymnastics got better coverage on T.V.But at least there's a lot on You tube!

I do miss that, too. I also miss watching the Cheerleading competitions on ESPN. My cousin and I use to love Saturday afternoons watching those and imitating their moves.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 11:09 am

Right now I'm missing the fashion!  Wide leg jeans and lug soles are SOOO much more comfortable than skinny jeans and stiletto pumps.  I refuse to let go of my Doc Martens - they're bound to come back sooner or later.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/07 at 11:41 am

Right now I'm missing the fashion!  Wide leg jeans and lug soles are SOOO much more comfortable than skinny jeans and stiletto pumps.  I refuse to let go of my Doc Martens - they're bound to come back sooner or later.

LOLOL....that's ALL that I wear. I have like 3 different pairs of them.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 12:05 pm

LOLOL....that's ALL that I wear. I have like 3 different pairs of them.  ;D

I still wear a pair of Doc dress shoes to work all the time.  I love them.  I don't wear my boots though.  Maybe I should start...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/07 at 12:10 pm

I still wear a pair of Doc dress shoes to work all the time.  I love them.  I don't wear my boots though.  Maybe I should start...

I wear the low ones mostly....the boots were always a bit uncomfortable. I had a pair about a year ago, but decided to sell them on Ebay.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 12:14 pm

I wear the low ones mostly....the boots were always a bit uncomfortable. I had a pair about a year ago, but decided to sell them on Ebay.

;D Ebay...what a huge surprise!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/07 at 1:38 pm

I miss the simplicity of life.

Written By: tv on 01/11/07 at 1:42 pm

I miss the music.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 1:56 pm

I miss the music.

You can still listen to it any time you want though!  :)

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/11/07 at 4:07 pm

You're so right,90's fashion was so wearable. I loved my doc martens,i had em in 3 different colors and never took em off,i would even go to the beach with them lol
I was a big fan of the boots with the flowery dress and the army jacket. 
I miss cheap second hand clothes,now they call it vintage and cost a fortune ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/07 at 4:10 pm

What Do I Miss Most About The 90's?

Being younger?

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 5:23 pm

What Do I Miss Most About The 90's?

Being younger?

A wish for anyone

Written By: analogue on 02/04/07 at 9:15 am

I don't miss the music or the movies cause like said before you can watch and listen to those anytime you like. What i miss about the 90's is when me and my whole family used to go down to my grans house every Sunday for dinner and my cosions would be outside playing basketball or doing something active while i'll be inside trying to imitate Michael Jackson's dance moves on TV. I also miss the fact that back then i could easily call up one of my friends and we could go out and do something together within 5 mintues but now we don't get to do that as much because most of us are going to College and we have loads of homework to do so we don't get that much time to see eachother anymore

Check for new replies or respond here...