inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lately, I'm really missing the '90s

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 6:16 pm

Well lately my '90s nostalgia has started to kick back into full gear. I've watched a lot of pop culture basically go down the drain in this decade and when I look back at the '90s and realize just how much better it was then it's hard to ignore. I think the two big areas of decline are in music (of course) and in television. The '90s were pre-reality tv generally and were filled with great sitcoms, which is something we don't have so much today. The sitcom seems like it has almost died in the 2000s, and it has been replaced with hour long dramas and reality shows. I'm most nostalgic for the mid-late part of the '90s, the part that I can recall the best, though I have a bit of nostalgia for 1991-92 since I remember a few things from then. The late 90s were truly great and under-appreciated by a lot of people. The early 00s were alright too, however from 2002-2004 there was significant decline in the music world. 2004 was when I starting thinking, some of this stuff sucks. 2006 has now passed and it had some good songs, but I've realized that the bad far outnumbers what I think is good. Conclusion: please bring the '90s back! (or even 2002 or something lol)

Subject: Re: Lately, I'm really missing the '90s

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/02/07 at 6:23 pm

Yes, I'm with you there. I've been into '90s nostalgia since about early 2005. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of '90s nostalgia out there. People just don't see the '90s as nostalgic yet.

Everything about the '90s was great and I miss the '90s everyday.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/02/07 at 6:26 pm

I find myself missing the 90s as well, even though my heart will always belong to the 80s! :)

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/02/07 at 6:31 pm

Ya know, I wonder if 2007 will be the year when we'll start be seeing a little more '90s nostalgia. There's more and more every year.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 6:32 pm

Ya know, I wonder if 2007 will be the year when we'll start be seeing a little more '90s nostalgia. There's more and more every year.

Maybe, I think it'll be more in the 2010s when we really see that.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/07 at 7:15 pm

I miss sitcoms of the 90s.  Just the other day, I bought Season 1 of "The Nanny" on DVD so I could relive some of those 90s memories :)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 7:16 pm

I miss sitcoms of the 90s.  Just the other day, I bought Season 1 of "The Nanny" on DVD so I could relive some of those 90s memories :)

Not really any great sitcoms anymore.  :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/07 at 7:45 pm

I guess I kind of miss it.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/07 at 7:49 pm

Not really any great sitcoms anymore.  :\'(

Not really any sitcoms anymore at all.  These days, more Drama shows than comedy shows are being produced (which is OK), but a big chunk of Reality Shows also take up network slots, which leaves little room for Sitcoms.  I wish TV of the 90s (and 80s) would come back .. a time when you could turn on Prime Time and find all kinds of great sitcoms, and dramas without Reality TV

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 7:50 pm

Not really any sitcoms anymore at all.  These days, more Drama shows than comedy shows are being produced (which is OK), but a big chunk of Reality Shows also take up network slots, which leaves little room for Sitcoms.  I wish TV of the 90s (and 80s) would come back .. a time when you could turn on Prime Time and find all kinds of great sitcoms, and dramas without Reality TV

Yeah I know, I like some of the dramas I admit, but I miss the sitcoms.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/07 at 8:00 pm

Yeah I know, I like some of the dramas I admit, but I miss the sitcoms.

The way networks run these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they will start turning sitcoms into Dramas and Reality shows and vice versa ...

CSI: American Idol  (Can Marg Helgenberger out sing David Caruso?)
Law and Order: King of Queens
Hogan Knows CSI
How I Met Your Big Fat Loser

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 8:00 pm

The way networks run these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they will start turning sitcoms into Dramas and Reality shows and vice versa ...

CSI: American Idol  (Can Marg Helgenberger out sing David Caruso?)
Law and Order: King of Queens
Hogan Knows CSI
How I Met Your Big Fat Loser

;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/02/07 at 8:03 pm

I prefer comedy over drama any day. My reaction to a television show should come from my mouth's laughter, not my tear-ducts. I also agree that there seemed to be more quality prime-time shows in the '80s and '90s than today.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/02/07 at 11:04 pm

Yeah, I miss the '90s alot too, for the same reasons you guys already mentioned but also for the cartoons and video games as well.

For anybody that watched Nickelodeon alot in the '90s check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sKdKapULQ It's a tribute to old school '90s Nick. IMO its fitting but sad too :(

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/03/07 at 3:03 pm

Yeah, I miss the '90s alot too, for the same reasons you guys already mentioned but also for the cartoons and video games as well.

For anybody that watched Nickelodeon alot in the '90s check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sKdKapULQ It's a tribute to old school '90s Nick. IMO its fitting but sad too :(

That brought back a lot of memories for me. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/03/07 at 3:06 pm

I remember just about every single show featured in that clip.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/07 at 10:46 pm

I hear ya Brian. The part of time that I miss the most would have been anywhere from about 1985 to about 1998....that 13 year period really spanned over a lot of important parts of my life.  It was in that period that I was in my childhood, and teenage years....as well as the first few years after I graduated (in 1995).  I miss all sorts of things...definitely the music, TV shows, certain styles/trends....but also the simpleness of those times versus what it is like today.  I would gladly go back to the late 80's/early 90's and do with a computer/mp3 player/DVD player....etc... ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/07 at 11:10 pm

I would gladly go back to the late 80's/early 90's and do with a computer/mp3 player/DVD player....etc... ;)

You'll have to settle for a Trackball based computer with a blue screen, a Beta or VHS Machine and a Walkman the size of a VCR tape :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/07 at 11:13 pm

You'll have to settle for a Trackball based computer with a blue screen, a Beta or VHS Machine and a Walkman the size of a VCR tape :D

If I had the chance to go back...I would be happy as apple pie to go back to those sorts of devices!! :D ;D ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/07 at 11:20 pm

I hear ya Brian. The part of time that I miss the most would have been anywhere from about 1985 to about 1998....that 13 year period really spanned over a lot of important parts of my life.  It was in that period that I was in my childhood, and teenage years....as well as the first few years after I graduated (in 1995).  I miss all sorts of things...definitely the music, TV shows, certain styles/trends....but also the simpleness of those times versus what it is like today.  I would gladly go back to the late 80's/early 90's and do with a computer/mp3 player/DVD player....etc... ;)

Yeah, that's about my span too.

My memories start around age 3 in the first part of 1985 too (I might even remember a few of the teeniest, vaguest snippets from '84 as well, I'm not sure). Sure, concrete memories aren't much more than riding to preschool, walking around our house or whatnot, but I was smart enough to know the "feel" and liked alot of the songs on the radio and all. I can thank my parents for listening to music alot, although I'm sure I'd have liked Eighties/older classic rock songs anyway.

Once I got a little older, taking family trips (i.e. to Florida or Hawaii), playing video games
or haning out with the kids at school was a part of my late '80s memories. Some stuff in my own life (and that of my family) s*cked in the first half of the '90s, but I dug alot of the little things too - personally as well as pop culture.

If someone had asked me back in the actual late '90s, I would've said the '80s were superior (for alot of the reasons above), but I now realize those years were pretty special too, albeit in a slightly different way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/07 at 11:22 pm

Yeah, that's about my span too.

My memories start around age 3 in the first part of 1985 too (I might even remember a few of the teeniest, vaguest snippets from '84 as well, I'm not sure). Sure, concrete memories aren't much more than riding to preschool, walking around our house or whatnot, but I was smart enough to know the "feel" and liked alot of the songs on the radio and all. I can thank my parents for listening to music alot, although I'm sure I'd have liked Eighties/older classic rock songs anyway.

Once I got a little older, taking family trips (i.e. to Florida or Hawaii), playing video games
or haning out with the kids at school was a part of my late '80s memories.

Some stuff in my own life (and that of my family) s*cked in the first half of the '90s, but I dug alot of the little things too. If someone had asked me back in the actual late '90s, I would've said the '80s were superior (for alot of the reasons above), but I now realize those years were pretty special too, albeit in a slightly different way.

gosh I loved our family vacations. We would go to Wildwood, NJ every summer. We would rent a neat condo for a week, and go to the beach, and all sorts of other fun activities. I remember it like it was yesterday..I really do.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/07 at 11:27 pm

gosh I loved our family vacations. We would go to Wildwood, NJ every summer. We would rent a neat condo for a week, and go to the beach, and all sorts of other fun activities. I remember it like it was yesterday..I really do.

Yeah, we had a condo in Florida (that's where alot of my relatives live, so we took alot of trips down there around 1985, '87, etc) too. On the other end of it, for a more local vacation, my folks sometimes went to Lake Tahoe for skiing and such. One year, we went with my friend from school (who was 3-4 years older than me - it was cool to be buddies with an 11-year old when I was 7) and stopped at almost every Denny's on the way back. Not sure why I remember that little detail, lol.

When people during the real 1980s talk about the hippie-era '60s seeming so recent, now I know what they mean (even if the '80s are alot "newer" now than the '60s were then).

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/04/07 at 1:26 pm

It would be an honor to go back to maybe like 1994-1996. I'd take my 3 megapixle camera and my Windows XP laptop, but I'd be VERY careful. I'd give anything to ride that Carolina Circle Mall carousel again.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/04/07 at 2:04 pm

Yeah, we had a condo in Florida (that's where alot of my relatives live, so we took alot of trips down there around 1985, '87, etc) too. On the other end of it, for a more local vacation, my folks sometimes went to Lake Tahoe for skiing and such. One year, we went with my friend from school (who was 3-4 years older than me - it was cool to be buddies with an 11-year old when I was 7) and stopped at almost every Denny's on the way back. Not sure why I remember that little detail, lol.

When people during the real 1980s talk about the hippie-era '60s seeming so recent, now I know what they mean (even if the '80s are alot "newer" now than the '60s were then).

Our family didn't have a tradition of going on vacation somewhere annually, but back in the late '80s, we did go to Disneyland 2 years in a row and I thought we'd keep that going, but I never went back to Disneyland for another 15 years after 1989!

One year, I think it was 1988 we also went to Lake Shasta and spent about 1 week on a houseboat with my Dad's side of the family. It was by far a very interesting experience. I realised I was not very fond of "roughing it" for a week on a lame boat, lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/07 at 6:29 pm

Yeah, it seems that the styles are already switching from retro 80's to retro early 90's. I think that 2007 will have a 1991 feel to it, since in 2006 the 80's fashion went too far and now it has become passe, much like how 1990 was the last year for 80's styles before they became passe in '91.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/11/07 at 1:57 am

Our family didn't have a tradition of going on vacation somewhere annually, but back in the late '80s, we did go to Disneyland 2 years in a row and I thought we'd keep that going, but I never went back to Disneyland for another 15 years after 1989!

One year, I think it was 1988 we also went to Lake Shasta and spent about 1 week on a houseboat with my Dad's side of the family. It was by far a very interesting experience. I realised I was not very fond of "roughing it" for a week on a lame boat, lol.

Yeah, I can imagine how that is. I'm pretty much a wimp when it comes to being out on the open water too. Don't get me wrong, I've taken some boat trips and it's fun once I'm used to it, but I usually don't look forward to it in the beginning, lol.

BTW, you've still been to Disneyland 1 more time than I have, so you're lucky. :D

My first time was with my parents as well as my uncle and grandma back in January 1986. I was 4 and a half so I remember it pretty well, we even have some of it on camcorder video. When I went with some high school friends in 1999, I tried to find all the old places I'd been, some were easy, but a few minor details were changed too.

Written By: Captain_Weirdo on 01/11/07 at 2:56 am

I Miss the 90's too. It was a much simpler time. I miss those great TV shows, Shows like "Seinfeld" and "The Nanny". I also miss the Video Games. If you ask me, 90's Video Games were better than the Video Games of today.

Written By: tv on 01/26/07 at 8:11 pm

Yoy know I was listening to a songs from 1994 and 1995 1-2 weeks ago and I;m like that was 12 or 13 years ago. I;m like the 90's are getting further and further away which I don;t like but what can you do about it?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/30/07 at 12:47 am

I've been really nostalgic over 1993-1994 lately. '93 was my first full wrestling watching year. Scared of and loving the show Sightings on Fox.  :\'(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/30/07 at 5:41 pm

Yeah, I can imagine how that is. I'm pretty much a wimp when it comes to being out on the open water too. Don't get me wrong, I've taken some boat trips and it's fun once I'm used to it, but I usually don't look forward to it in the beginning, lol.

BTW, you've still been to Disneyland 1 more time than I have, so you're lucky. :D

My first time was with my parents as well as my uncle and grandma back in January 1986. I was 4 and a half so I remember it pretty well, we even have some of it on camcorder video. When I went with some high school friends in 1999, I tried to find all the old places I'd been, some were easy, but a few minor details were changed too.

Yeah, I like boating, but not for several days. A one day thing is just fine for me.

Wow, you were there about 2 years earlier before I went for my first time. Yeah, at nearly 5 years old, you can etch some pretty good memories in there. I was actually just thinking today while I was getting ready for college, that it's been 20 years since I graduated Pre-School. Not like it's a huge deal, but it still doesn't seem like or feel as if it's been that long. I still have pretty good memories of that time - but they're fading fast. Maybe talking about this stuff the way we do is our own way of hanging onto what little we have left to remember.

I was six years old the first time we went to Disneyland (actually closer to 6 1/2) and about 7 1/2 years old when we went in 1989.

Written By: rich1981 on 01/31/07 at 12:36 am

I've been to Disneyland as well since I was 3, and have actually gone with my parents several times throughout the 80's and early 90 so I've had tons of memories going there. However, with the passing of time and as I got older we stopped going, in fact the last time I've been there was for my grad nite in 1999 which makes it even more special. I also have home movies when we've been there back in 1991 when my cousins from Mexico City visited us while going to Disneyland.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/31/07 at 3:30 pm

Yeah, I like boating, but not for several days. A one day thing is just fine for me.

Wow, you were there about 2 years earlier before I went for my first time. Yeah, at nearly 5 years old, you can etch some pretty good memories in there. I was actually just thinking today while I was getting ready for college, that it's been 20 years since I graduated Pre-School. Not like it's a huge deal, but it still doesn't seem like or feel as if it's been that long. I still have pretty good memories of that time - but they're fading fast. Maybe talking about this stuff the way we do is our own way of hanging onto what little we have left to remember.

I was six years old the first time we went to Disneyland (actually closer to 6 1/2) and about 7 1/2 years old when we went in 1989.

We went to Disneyland back in 1996, and unfortunately haven't been back since. I can remember some stuff from around 17 or so years ago, and I can still remember when I graduated Pre-school 15 years ago pretty well.

I know how you fell though. Alot of the things I used to be able to remember well from like 1990 or 1991, have started to get fuzzy over the last few years, and I'm afraid as time goes on I'll forget more and more :(

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/31/07 at 3:33 pm

I know how you fell though. Alot of the things I used to be able to remember well from like 1990 or 1991, have started to get fuzzy over the last few years, and I'm afraid as time goes on I'll forget more and more :(

I worry about that too. I can remember as far back as being 2 years old in 1992, however mainly 1993 and up. I worry too about that. A good thing to do is to write down your earliest memories on a piece of paper every now and then, that way it'll be less likely to forget. I just hope I don't forget too much of the mid '90s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/31/07 at 3:49 pm

^ I wish I could remember as far back as 2 years old, and maybe I did at one point but those memories have since been lost to time. But anyway, I know I have memories from about 3 years old, but nothing very concrete until about 4 or 4 1/2.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/31/07 at 3:53 pm

^ I wish I could remember as far back as 2 years old, and maybe I did at one point but those memories have since been lost to time. But anyway, I know I have memories from about 3 years old, but nothing very concrete until about 4 or 4 1/2.

I can remember a few things from when I was around 2, but nothing in any great detail. I can remember a good bit from when I was 3, but the first actual concrete memory I have is from when my brother was born in 1991, when I was 4.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/03/07 at 10:13 pm

We went to Disneyland back in 1996, and unfortunately haven't been back since. I can remember some stuff from around 17 or so years ago, and I can still remember when I graduated Pre-school 15 years ago pretty well.

I third that.

While I think anything that occured after I was about 5 and a half in 1987 will stay with me for life in clear enough detail, I also feel sometimes like I have to keep "pushing" myself to remember my really early life (worried that if I don't focus on it, it'll become blurry and forgotten someday).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/07 at 9:33 am

I third that.

While I think anything that occured after I was about 5 and a half in 1987 will stay with me for life in clear enough detail, I also feel sometimes like I have to keep "pushing" myself to remember my really early life (worried that if I don't focus on it, it'll become blurry and forgotten someday).

Yeah, I always felt like anything that you can remember after you turned about 5 or 6 will probably stay with you. Those memories are usually pretty concrete, even some memories from when your like 4 or so usually are pretty vivid. I'm just worried that lately alot of my 1987-1992 memories have started to get really fuzzy. I had alot of good times back then, and I would really hate to forget them :(

Check for new replies or respond here...