inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Late '90s

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/07 at 3:06 am

Now that its 2007, and the late '90s are officially 10 years ago, I was thinking that they really don't seem that old to me.

Since most of the 1997 or later stuff is still around today, its kind of hard to imagine the late '90s as ever being 'old school', even if I do believe that the late '90s were better overall than right now. I guess I was wondering if they actually seem yet old to any of you guys.

Subject: Re: The Late '90s

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/07 at 3:18 am

Now that its 2007, and the late '90s are officially 10 years ago, I was thinking that they really don't seem that old to me.

Since most of the 1997 or later stuff is still around today, its kind of hard to imagine the late '90s as ever being 'old school', even if I do believe that the late '90s were better overall than right now. I guess I was wondering if they actually seem yet old to any of you guys.

I was thinking the same thing. Back in 1997, 1989 seemed like awhile ago because of the new tech and pop culture shifts (combined with being 15 thinking back to age 7-8, not to mention alot of personal things in my life changing). The late '90s really are like "just a little while ago", despite some of it is pretty dated and cheesy, like Pokemon, Jerry Springer shows, some boy band songs and Ricky Martin.

At the time, I was POSITIVE that stuff would date very quickly and nothing would be heard of it by 2002/'03, yet alot of the boy band/teen pop stars have made it big with solo careers. That makes it feel alot more recent that it actually is.

And yeah, I've softened on it quite a bit. 8 to 10 years ago itself, I never would've thought I'd miss it as I do now, even the cheesy stuff I didn't care for at the time. I guess 'cause there was still a tinge of old-school. Despite the 'Net being pretty much household, it wasn't yet essential and didn't rule every area of things as it seems to now.

P.S. Back then, if you'd told me how there'd be a message board where many of us would be saying these things about missing the late '90s by 2007, I would have never believed it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/07 at 6:59 am

I was thinking the same thing. Back in 1997, 1989 seemed like awhile ago because of the new tech and pop culture shifts (combined with being 15 thinking back to age 7-8, not to mention alot of personal things in my life changing). The late '90s really are like "just a little while ago", despite some of it is pretty dated and cheesy, like Pokemon, Jerry Springer shows, some boy band songs and Ricky Martin.

At the time, I was POSITIVE that stuff would date very quickly and nothing would be heard of it by 2002/'03, yet alot of the boy band/teen pop stars have made it big with solo careers. That makes it feel alot more recent that it actually is.

And yeah, I've softened on it quite a bit. 8 to 10 years ago itself, I never would've thought I'd miss it as I do now, even the cheesy stuff I didn't care for at the time. I guess 'cause there was still a tinge of old-school. Despite the 'Net being pretty much household, it wasn't yet essential and didn't rule every area of things as it seems to now.

P.S. Back then, if you'd told me how there'd be a message board where many of us would be saying these things about missing the late '90s by 2007, I would have never believed it.

Yeah, back in like 2000 or 2001, when I first started being a bit nostalgic for the early '90s, I used to think that 1998 could never feel as old to me as 1993 did, but over the years nostalgia for the late '90s slowly started to creep up one me(to be fair 1998 was actually more years ago now than 1993 was back then :o)

Today the late '90s don't feel quite as old to me as the early '90s did then, but that could be because I was fairly old in the late '90s(in middle school), and I was pretty little in the early '90s, so I don't remember them quite as well.

The late '90s stuff that you mentioned is pretty outdated. Pokemon is still around but not nearly as popular as it was c.1999, and basically all the boy bands have broke up. Despite that there's still alot of stuff from then thats still pretty relevent today. I'd say it'll be sometime early in the next decade before the late '90s truly become old school.

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/03/07 at 2:59 pm

I'm with you there. I'm hardly nostalgic for the late '90s. I'm only nostalgic for things up to 1997. For one thing in 1998/1999, Carolina Circle Mall was barely open unlike when it was thriving earlier in the decade. And, the pop culture doesn't seem as special as the early and mid '90s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 6:33 pm

I believe that once things hit the 15 year mark, then it just feels old enough where you remember it well and have some fond memories, but you can feel it leaving your grasp. I think back, wow, I graduated pre-school 20 years ago! I actually have coherent thoughts from 20 years ago. It's a weird feeling because life goes SO fast after hitting your 20's that before you know it, you're expecting your 10 year HS reunion!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/07 at 11:33 pm

I believe that once things hit the 15 year mark, then it just feels old enough where you remember it well and have some fond memories, but you can feel it leaving your grasp. I think back, wow, I graduated pre-school 20 years ago! I actually have coherent thoughts from 20 years ago. It's a weird feeling because life goes SO fast after hitting your 20's that before you know it, you're expecting your 10 year HS reunion!

Yeah, to me years being to feel old when there in the 12-15 year old range. Like now the mid '90s have started to seem pretty distant to me, but about 4 or 5 years ago they didn't seem that far away. And then when you get into the 15+ year range stuff seems really old. Like I can recall attending pre-school somewhat too(that was 16 years ago now), and that seems ancient, but that could also be because I was only 4 at the time.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/07 at 11:45 pm

^By the time I was 12 (in 1993-'94), being 4 or 5 seemed ancient to me, but 1986 didn't, if that makes sense?

Yeah, the mid '90s are hanging on. For being as old as they are, they feel pretty recent (cars and TV/stereo tech from then still looks kinda new, and pictures of an outside street could pass for now), but are starting to slip away as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/07 at 11:52 pm

^By the time I was 12 (in 1993-'94), being 4 or 5 seemed ancient to me, but 1986 didn't, if that makes sense?

Yeah, the mid '90s are hanging on. For being as old as they are, they feel pretty recent (cars and TV/stereo tech from then still looks kinda new, and pictures of an outside street could pass for now), but are starting to slip away as well.

Actually that does make sense. When I was 12 back in 1999, I would think back to when I was in Kindergarten or Pre-School in the early '90s, and my memories from those times always seemed ancient, but whenever I would think about 1992 itself, the actual year never seemed that old.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/07 at 12:01 am

Actually that does make sense. When I was 12 back in 1999, I would think back to when I was in Kindergarten or Pre-School in the early '90s, and my memories from those times always seemed ancient, but whenever I would think about 1992 itself, the actual year never seemed that old.

I agree. I've always wondered why this is. Perhaps it's that we were still discovering or getting into some things from that time secondhand? Like I saw the movie Kindergarden Cop for the first time around 7th grade, and I was buying cassettes of '80s music compliations (with some "new to me" songs mixed with ones I liked already) in the early-mid '90s.

So in a way, those things are "tied with" the later years because it reminds me of when I first got into them.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/04/07 at 1:23 am

I agree. I've always wondered why this is. Perhaps it's that we were still discovering or getting into some things from that time secondhand? Like I saw the movie Kindergarden Cop for the first time around 7th grade, and I was buying cassettes of '80s music compliations (with some "new to me" songs mixed with ones I liked already) in the early-mid '90s.

So in a way, those things are "tied with" the later years because it reminds me of when I first got into them.

Yeah, when I first started listening to music back in 1998/'99, I was a pretty big fan of classic rock from the '70s and '80s, and back then whenever I would hear a grunge rock song, even if it was from the early '90s, it always seemed more like newer stuff(which I guess it was compared to what I was listening too).

Also, I watched alot of t.v. back when I was little, and most of the shows that I watched then still came on even into the late '90s, so i suppose that at the time, it was just hard for me to consider the early '90s too be old.

Written By: 90skid555 on 01/04/07 at 12:34 pm

In my mind 1997 seems like a long while back but its really not

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/04/07 at 1:03 pm

In my mind 1997 seems like a long while back but its really not

Really? To me it seems it was only yesterday,which means... i'm old :\'(

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/04/07 at 7:07 pm

Lately I've been nostalgic about the late 90's. A lot of good music came out of the 1997-1999 era. One thing that is different from then and now, is that back then instead of having a device that holds hundreds of songs that could fit in my pocket, I used to carry a backpack with a big book of CD's and my portable CD player.

Written By: tv on 01/05/07 at 2:02 am

I don;t know the late 90's seem old to me now. I mean the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync are gone even though Justin Timberlake was popular in the latter portion of 2006. Britney Spears? Passe but still tabloid fonder. Spice Girls, Robyn, and Savage Garden: They're all gone. Puff Daddy" he made a comeback this year. Busta Rhymes also had a hit in 2006. Mase: had 1 hit in the 00's and that was it. Usher hit it big in 97-98 and he's now more popular than he was than. Third Eye Blind: They;re gone. Matchbox Twenty: Not revelant anymore. Brandy and Monica: Not relevant anymore. DMX-he's not popular anymore.

I have a love/hate relationship with 1999 because I don;t like Britney Spears music. I however do get noglastic for 1999 when I hear a tune like "Hey Leonardo(She Likes For Me) by Blessid Union of Souls, Give It To You by Jordan Knight or "The Hardest Thing" by 98 Degrees. I don;t think Britney Spears's music from 1999-2000 has aged well at all or a tune like Jessica Simpson's "I Wanna Love You Forever" has aged well either.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/07 at 6:32 pm

I miss all the R&B artists and groups from that time like Next, Joe, Jon B., Rome, KC and Jojo, Brian McKnight, and many others. Those were the jams! Another thing I miss from that time is Playstation 1.

Written By: tv on 01/06/07 at 12:41 am

I miss all the R&B artists and groups from that time like Next, Joe, Jon B., Rome, KC and Jojo, Brian McKnight, and many others. Those were the jams! Another thing I miss from that time is Playstation 1.
Yes! somebody remembers all those R&B artists from 1997-1998! What about Dru Hill, Montell Jordan, Uncle Sam, and Xscape? Can;t forget about R. Kelly either.  Next was cool. "Too Close" was like one of the top songs of the year in 1998. "Butta Love" was cool too. "I Still Love You" was a hit for them that year too.

Written By: tv on 01/06/07 at 12:45 am

I don;t know the late 90's seem old to me now. I mean the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync are gone even though Justin Timberlake was popular in the latter portion of 2006. Britney Spears? Passe but still tabloid fonder. Spice Girls, Robyn, and Savage Garden: They're all gone. Puff Daddy" he made a comeback this year. Busta Rhymes also had a hit in 2006. Mase: had 1 hit in the 00's and that was it. Usher hit it big in 97-98 and he's now more popular than he was than. Third Eye Blind: They;re gone. Matchbox Twenty: Not revelant anymore. Brandy and Monica: Not relevant anymore. DMX-he's not popular anymore.

I take that back Busta Ryhmes had a hit around 2002 maybe with "Break Ya Neck".

Written By: Captain_Weirdo on 01/09/07 at 4:41 am

I actually feel nostalgia for the late 90's.I'm only 16

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 3:53 pm

It's 2007, late 90s are old too.

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/18/07 at 5:06 pm

It's 2007, late 90s are old too.

Too some, yes, but I'll probably always be nostalgic for the early and mid '90s.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/18/07 at 5:16 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with 1999 because I don;t like Britney Spears music. I however do get noglastic for 1999 when I hear a tune like "Hey Leonardo(She Likes For Me) by Blessid Union of Souls, Give It To You by Jordan Knight or "The Hardest Thing" by 98 Degrees. I don;t think Britney Spears's music from 1999-2000 has aged well at all or a tune like Jessica Simpson's "I Wanna Love You Forever" has aged well either.

If Britney teams up with Timbaland and comes out with an album this year, I bet ya she's easily popular again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/18/07 at 6:12 pm

Too some, yes, but I'll probably always be nostalgic for the early and mid '90s.

I think 1999 is just in that "more old school and dated/less current" middle category. It's not like I remember 1989 being in 1997, which almost felt like a slightly different era. Especially when Internet culture started taking off.

Subject: Re: The Late \'90s

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 6:15 pm

I think 1999 is just in that \"more old school and dated/less current\" middle category. It\'s not like I remember 1989 being in 1997, which almost felt like a slightly different era. Especially when Internet culture started taking off.

I see it in terms of 8 years. By 1997 1989 was old school. Today, in 2007, 1999 is just becoming old school. I think it takes about 8 years for a time to become back in the day, at least if you\'re talking about the past 15 years or so, in the past it didn\'t take as long.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/18/07 at 6:20 pm

I see it in terms of 8 years. By 1997 1989 was old school. Today, in 2007, 1999 is just becoming old school. I think it takes about 8 years for a time to become back in the day, at least if you\'re talking about the past 15 years or so, in the past it didn\'t take as long.

In the past (i.e. pre-late '90s), I think it took about 4 years for things to feel old or notably dated in general. True, I was younger then, so that's sorta from my own perspective, but it collectively seems like most people would've felt that way too.

1999 is now kinda in the category, say 1994 was then: still surface similarities, but alot of things were dated when you looked at the big picture.

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 6:22 pm

In the past (i.e. pre-late \'90s), I think it took about 4 years for things to feel old or notably dated in general. True, I was younger then, so that\'s sorta from my own perspective, but it collectively seems like most people would\'ve felt that way too.

1999 is now kinda in the category, say 1994 was then: still surface similarities, but alot of things were dated when you looked at the big picture.

I think it goes up to the \'90s, in 2001 1995 seemed pretty old. 2001 is only as close to now, and it doesn\'t really feel old.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/18/07 at 6:25 pm

I think it goes up to the \'90s, in 2001 1995 seemed pretty old. 2001 is only as close to now, and it doesn\'t really feel old.

True. Oh yeah, that's weird, isn't it? 2001 is the age now that 1995 was then, and it doesn't feel like it. It feels about 3 years ago, not 6.

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 6:32 pm

True. Oh yeah, that\'s weird, isn\'t it? 2001 is the age now that 1995 was then, and it doesn\'t feel like it. It feels about 3 years ago, not 6.

In 1999 1995 seemed kind of recent, but by 2001 it seemed almost retro. 1999 and 2001 were pretty different.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/19/07 at 10:49 pm

I knew the 80's were old by the mid 90's, but more like a recent old. They didn't feel mostly ancient history to me, till about '98/'99.

Now, the mid 90's feel like a recent old, the early 90's feel pretty ancient history, and the Late 90's feel very, very mildly old. They should feel pretty darn old, I mean it's about 10 years later, but for whatever reason, they don't.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/20/07 at 7:49 am

I think 1999 is just in that "more old school and dated/less current" middle category. It's not like I remember 1989 being in 1997, which almost felt like a slightly different era. Especially when Internet culture started taking off.

I was just thinking about how much older 1987 seemed in 1997, compared to the way 1997 feels in 2007. Granted 1987 will probably always seem ancient to me since I was born then, but even back in '97 it wasn't just the year that seemed old, it was the culture itself. Stuff like hair metal, and the teen pop of the late '80s was ancient history by 1997, not to mention the changes in tech that had occurred since then.

Since I was only 10, alot of my memories from '97 seem pretty old, but the year itself, and most of the pop culture of the time, still seems pretty new.

Written By: tv on 01/24/07 at 4:14 pm

In 1999 1995 seemed kind of recent, but by 2001 it seemed almost retro. 1999 and 2001 were pretty different.
the 90's only seemed to get old to me in the latter portion of 2005. 1999 and 2001 were really not really different(It think teen-pop's popularity did kinda drop a bit in 2001 from where it was in 1999-2000 though.) I would say 2003 is pretty different than 1999 because of rap/R&B music expolding in popularity in 2003 with the arrival 50 Cent coming onto the scene.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/07 at 6:50 pm

I was just thinking about how much older 1987 seemed in 1997, compared to the way 1997 feels in 2007. Granted 1987 will probably always seem ancient to me since I was born then, but even back in '97 it wasn't just the year that seemed old, it was the culture itself. Stuff like hair metal, and the teen pop of the late '80s was ancient history by 1997, not to mention the changes in tech that had occurred since then.

Since I was only 10, alot of my memories from '97 seem pretty old, but the year itself, and most of the pop culture of the time, still seems pretty new.

Yeah, I think it was the same for me. If I saw some John Cougar or Go Gos music videos from around my birthtime when I was 10 in the early '90s, it seemed like they were from awhile ago for both reasons (even if I knew it really was pretty recent).

The late '80s dated very quickly. In some ways 1997 was the beginning of what we're living in now, in terms of tech.

For example, if you take one of Weird Al's new songs (if not "White and Nerdy", maybe "Virus Alert") that has all kinds of Internet and modern tech references and took it back to 1997, it wouldn't be that foreign to people. They'd just think it was really advanced or brand new stuff they hadn't heard of yet (i.e. MySpace, Wikipedia), but play it for someone in the late '80s, they'd be like WTF?

A person from 1997 would probably be shocked if they found out this year was a full decade in the future. I think if it were me time travelling, I'd think it was, like 2003.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/07 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, I think it was the same for me. If I saw some John Cougar or Go Gos music videos from around my birthtime when I was 10 in the early '90s, it seemed like they were from awhile ago for both reasons (even if I knew it really was pretty recent).

The late '80s dated very quickly. In some ways 1997 was the beginning of what we're living in now, in terms of tech.

For example, if you take one of Weird Al's new songs (if not "White and Nerdy", maybe "Virus Alert") that has all kinds of Internet and modern tech references and took it back to 1997, it wouldn't be that foreign to people. They'd just think it was really advanced or brand new stuff they hadn't heard of yet (i.e. MySpace, Wikipedia), but play it for someone in the late '80s, they'd be like WTF?

A person from 1997 would probably be shocked if they found out this year was a full decade in the future. I think if it were me time travelling, I'd think it was, like 2003.

Yeah, back in 1997, things were changing pretty quick, especially in terms of tech, so I think people would be really surprised that things haven't really changed that much in the past decade. I recall that, back in the '90s, when I was in school we talked one time about how our class was going to graduate high school in 2005, and at the time, that was about 8 or 9 years away, so I actually thought that by the time I graduated we would probably have flying cars ;D

The only thing that I think people back in '97 would be really surprised about is how essential the internet has become. Back then the idea that the internet would actually be more popular than t.v. would've been outrageous.

I also don't think that most people in 1987 would believe that this is 20 years later. I'm sure that back then people thought things would be alot different by 2007. I would say that your average person back in '87 probably wouldn't think this was any later than 2000.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/26/07 at 11:10 pm

Yeah, back in 1997, things were changing pretty quick, especially in terms of tech, so I think people would be really surprised that things haven't really changed that much in the past decade. I recall that, back in the '90s, when I was in school we talked one time about how our class was going to graduate high school in 2005, and at the time, that was about 8 or 9 years away, so I actually thought that by the time I graduated we would probably have flying cars ;D

The only thing that I think people back in '97 would be really surprised about is how essential the internet has become. Back then the idea that the internet would actually be more popular than t.v. would've been outrageous.

I also don't think that most people in 1987 would believe that this is 20 years later. I'm sure that back then people thought things would be alot different by 2007. I would say that your average person back in '87 probably wouldn't think this was any later than 2000.

That's a good point. I remember circa 1997, despite the 'Net's global popularity, it was still seen as, maybe not a novelty, but a luxury that was fun and made research easier but not a necesitty.

It wasn't until a year or two later that people realized it was here to stay. Someone from 1998 or '99 probably wouldn't be too surprised how big it became like a 1997 time traveller would (although even they might be surprised how fast it took). Something like YouTube being as huge as it was might catch them off guard. Heck, I remember when those 30-second QuickTime video clips with crappy screen quality were amazing, lol.

Although I did read one of those Yahoo articles back in '98 that said Internet To Become Core Of Business By 2003 or something along those lines. And it made sense to me by then.

Yeah, people always overerestimate the future, probably from their own wishes for it to be advanced. Plus, it's hard to predict "logical" changes, so people always turn to the typical flying cars, house cleaning robots scenario. ;)

If people from the past were time travelling, this is probably when they'd think 2007 was:

1980: 1994
1985: 1998
1990: 2001
1995: 2003
1997: 2003
2000: 2004

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/30/07 at 12:11 am

That's a good point. I remember circa 1997, despite the 'Net's global popularity, it was still seen as, maybe not a novelty, but a luxury that was fun and made research easier but not a necesitty.

It wasn't until a year or two later that people realized it was here to stay. Someone from 1998 or '99 probably wouldn't be too surprised how big it became like a 1997 time traveller would (although even they might be surprised how fast it took). Something like YouTube being as huge as it was might catch them off guard. Heck, I remember when those 30-second QuickTime video clips with crappy screen quality were amazing, lol.

Although I did read one of those Yahoo articles back in '98 that said Internet To Become Core Of Business By 2003 or something along those lines. And it made sense to me by then.

Yeah, people always overerestimate the future, probably from their own wishes for it to be advanced. Plus, it's hard to predict "logical" changes, so people always turn to the typical flying cars, house cleaning robots scenario. ;)

If people from the past were time travelling, this is probably when they'd think 2007 was:

1980: 1994
1985: 1998
1990: 2001
1995: 2003
1997: 2003
2000: 2004

Yeah, that sounds about right. I agree that people always overestimate the future, heck I even do it sometimes now. Whenever I think about the way things may be in say 2027, it's hard not to imagine things being totally like The Jetsons since 20 years in the future seems so far away. I'm sure that back in the '80s, given that 20 years later would also be a new millennium, people thought things would be way different by now. I mean, even in the '90s I figured that the '00s would be pretty futuristic.

Also, the idea of something like Youtube back in 1997 would've seemed pretty crazy. Most people still had pretty slow internet connections then too, so alot of the things people do these days online that basically require a broadband connection would've not been available to most people then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/03/07 at 10:17 pm

Yeah, that sounds about right. I agree that people always overestimate the future, heck I even do it sometimes now. Whenever I think about the way things may be in say 2027, it's hard not to imagine things being totally like The Jetsons since 20 years in the future seems so far away. I'm sure that back in the '80s, given that 20 years later would also be a new millennium, people thought things would be way different by now. I mean, even in the '90s I figured that the '00s would be pretty futuristic.

Also, the idea of something like Youtube back in 1997 would've seemed pretty crazy. Most people still had pretty slow internet connections then too, so alot of the things people do these days online that basically require a broadband connection would've not been available to most people then.

That's true. While YouTube could have conceivably come out in 1997 techwise, I'm almost positive it wouldn't have been as popular. People probably would've gotten pretty annoyed at the slow connection speed and forget about it, lol. We had dial up at the time, and half the time, it would kick us offline or would take a couple tries to finally connect. Nowadays, that seems pretty old-school. ;)

Yeah, I think I'd overpredict 20 or even 10 years into the future, too. The number just sounds too far ahead to imagine, so I guess that's why we all fall back on easier, stereotypical predictions involving hi-tech stuff.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine our ways of life won't really change until 2030 or 2050. But that seems soooo far now too, lol.

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/03/07 at 11:42 pm

I do believe that the DVD made it's debut in '97. Most people thought it would go the way of the laser disc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/07 at 9:24 am

That's true. While YouTube could have conceivably come out in 1997 techwise, I'm almost positive it wouldn't have been as popular. People probably would've gotten pretty annoyed at the slow connection speed and forget about it, lol. We had dial up at the time, and half the time, it would kick us offline or would take a couple tries to finally connect. Nowadays, that seems pretty old-school. ;)

Yeah, I think I'd overpredict 20 or even 10 years into the future, too. The number just sounds too far ahead to imagine, so I guess that's why we all fall back on easier, stereotypical predictions involving hi-tech stuff.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine our ways of life won't really change until 2030 or 2050. But that seems soooo far now too, lol.

Yeah, over the last 4 or 5 years broadband has become available to most people, and pretty affordable too, so dial-up is actually starting to become old-school itself. We had dial-up actually until just last year. It wasn't until then it became available in our rural area. And, I agree that Youtube could've come out in '97, but probably would've only been popular with the limited number of people that had broadband connections back then. I tried to watch video's on Youtube before we got DSL, and it is not fun ;D

I think that unless something big happens the 2020's probably wont be that much different than today, but I do think its possible for technology to advance at least enough for the '00s feel about as outdated then as the '80s do now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/20/07 at 9:04 am

*Bump*

I've actually started to notice something kinda strange about the perception of the late '90s with todays high school/middle school crowd. That time period was so cheesy and campy, that I thought for sure that when the young kids of that time period got older they would make fun of it, and just dismiss the Y2K era all together.

But lately I've been watching quite a few music video's of songs from the late '90s, and very early '00s on Youtube, and in the comments I see alot of posts from the 15 and under crowd talking about how great late '90s music is and how much better things were "back then". They aren't even just a few isolated ones either, I see them on pretty much every video I watch from then.

Alot of them even go so far as to claim that they remember liking late '90s music when it was popular. I see alot of kids that were like 4-7 at that time claiming to have liked Y2K era stuff at the time and yesterday, someone who said they were 3 in 1999 claimed to remember when the Backstreet Boys were at there peak popularity. Is it just me, or do these kids a one heck of a good memory.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/07 at 9:08 am

^Holy crap, there's 1996ers going online now? That's weird! But I've actually noticed the same thing on the comments section for some Savage Garden videos, although not from anyone that young. I've also seen lots of kids/younger teens mention how cool some '80s and '90s videos are and how "today's music sucks".

That goes beyond me even. I may have liked/semi remembered 1985 music when I was 3-4, but I wasn't calling 1992 music crap when it came around either. That definitely is an interesting point about modern time, if even literal children don't like it, lol.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/20/07 at 9:10 am

fashions and trends from the late 90's, and even very early 2000's, are already starting to seem outdated to me. whenever i watch a movie from '97 ish-'01, like Scream, or She's All That, or Jaw Breaker or all the teen comedies that starting coming out, things look very different to me. I actually think the late 90's was one of the tackiest era's of fashion.

and i think it's weird how teen comedies and slasher movies became popular again in the late 90's, just like they were in the 80's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/20/07 at 9:22 am

^Holy crap, there's 1996ers going online now? That's weird! But I've actually noticed the same thing on the comments section for some Savage Garden videos, although not from anyone that young. I've also seen lots of kids/younger teens mention how cool some '80s and '90s videos are and how "today's music sucks".

That goes beyond me even. I may have liked/semi remembered 1985 music when I was 3-4, but I wasn't calling 1992 music crap when it came around either. That definitely is an interesting point about modern time, if even literal children don't like it, lol.

Yeah, its hard to believe '96ers are 11 already. It wont be long, and some of them may start popping up on here. It's just weird that so many of them would claim to remember watching MTV when they were like 4 or something like that, almost like it's "cool" to remember the late '90s today. I would've never thought that a 6th grader in 2007 would like some of the music I liked when I was in the 6th grade in 1998. That's just weird.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/07 at 9:27 am

Yeah, its hard to believe '96ers are 11 already. It wont be long, and some of them may start popping up on here. It's just weird that so many of them would claim to remember watching MTV when they were like 4 or something like that, almost like it's "cool" to remember the late '90s today. I would've never thought that a 6th grader in 2007 would like some of the music I liked when I was in the 6th grade in 1998. That's just weird.

Perhaps this is a reason why nostalgia picks up more steam all the time, and trends don't just go out of style in a year anymore. There's so much to choose from, and kids today probably just have even more outlets for finding "older" things than any of us did (which was pretty much TV, radio and magazines, or talking to people). I watched the video channels when I was 9, but not 4...and there were people who thought I was way ahead of my peers for even that, lol. One of my teachers said in 1991 about how he didn't get why I was so into MTV and VH1 like I was.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/20/07 at 2:50 pm

fashions and trends from the late 90's, and even very early 2000's, are already starting to seem outdated to me. whenever i watch a movie from '97 ish-'01, like Scream, or She's All That, or Jaw Breaker or all the teen comedies that starting coming out, things look very different to me. I actually think the late 90's was one of the tackiest era's of fashion.

and i think it's weird how teen comedies and slasher movies became popular again in the late 90's, just like they were in the 80's.

All I need to do is see a guy with spikey blonde hair and it pretty much screams later '90s. I guess it was better than these "emo" dudes that pretty much look and sound like women.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/20/07 at 2:53 pm

*Bump*

I've actually started to notice something kinda strange about the perception of the late '90s with todays high school/middle school crowd. That time period was so cheesy and campy, that I thought for sure that when the young kids of that time period got older they would make fun of it, and just dismiss the Y2K era all together.

But lately I've been watching quite a few music video's of songs from the late '90s, and very early '00s on Youtube, and in the comments I see alot of posts from the 15 and under crowd talking about how great late '90s music is and how much better things were "back then". They aren't even just a few isolated ones either, I see them on pretty much every video I watch from then.

Alot of them even go so far as to claim that they remember liking late '90s music when it was popular. I see alot of kids that were like 4-7 at that time claiming to have liked Y2K era stuff at the time and yesterday, someone who said they were 3 in 1999 claimed to remember when the Backstreet Boys were at there peak popularity. Is it just me, or do these kids a one heck of a good memory.

Yeah I've noticed this, you'll see some 13 year old commenting on a 1999 video "man those were the good old days". I'd imagine they probably remember more from a couple years later (in like 01 when it was still acceptable) when they were ~6 which would probably make more sense.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/20/07 at 4:16 pm

All I need to do is see a guy with spikey blonde hair and it pretty much screams later '90s. I guess it was better than these "emo" dudes that pretty much look and sound like women.

yea, i remember when high lights became huge. i even had them. i thought they were the coolest things ever.

i also remember when fisher-man hats and hawaiin shirts became popular, and kakhis and overalls.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/07 at 11:09 am

Yeah I've noticed this, you'll see some 13 year old commenting on a 1999 video "man those were the good old days". I'd imagine they probably remember more from a couple years later (in like 01 when it was still acceptable) when they were ~6 which would probably make more sense.

Yeah, thats true. Even up until like early 2002, there was still alot of stuff from the late '90s that was popular. So I guess a current 13 year old who would've been 7 in 2001 may have picked up on and liked some Y2K era stuff that was still around. I just thought it was weird because when I was that age(back in 2000), most people my age really could've cared less about what was popular in like 1991. That's not to say that I didn't like music from that time, I did like some, but most everybody in my class was way more into Nu Metal, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/07 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, thats true. Even up until like early 2002, there was still alot of stuff from the late '90s that was popular. So I guess a current 13 year old who would've been 7 in 2001 may have picked up on and liked some Y2K era stuff that was still around. I just thought it was weird because when I was that age(back in 2000), most people my age really could've cared less about what was popular in like 1991. That's not to say that I didn't like music from that time, I did like some, but most everybody in my class was way more into Nu Metal, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc.

Yeah it's weird, somehow the y2k era stuff is just very well known among young kids today, maybe because it appealed to a younger crowd? I don't know.

Written By: tv on 08/21/07 at 4:45 pm

Yeah it's weird, somehow the y2k era stuff is just very well known among young kids today, maybe because it appealed to a younger crowd? I don't know.
Yeah the Y2k era stuff did appeal to a younger crowd I believe like 9-12 year old people(at the time)with stuff with the Backstreet Boys and Britney so thats why the people in High School miss the Y2 era I suppose that spanned 1999-2002 I would think right?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/07 at 5:45 pm

Yeah the Y2k era stuff did appeal to a younger crowd I believe like 9-12 year old people(at the time)with stuff with the Backstreet Boys and Britney so thats why the people in High School miss the Y2 era I suppose that spanned 1999-2002 I would think right?

Yeah, that's true. But I've seen some even younger than 9 posting about how much they loved the late '90s. Like I said, I've seen some who were as young as 3 or 4 in 1999 talking about how much better it is than today. It's not really the kids in high school liking the Y2K era that surprised me, I was pretty young then myself(12 in 1999 and 15 in 2002), it's just the fact that quite a few middle school kids are into it that surprised me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/07 at 6:31 pm

I wonder if there were even more really young kids into the Y2K music than people even realized? Me being 17 in 1998/'99 and 20 in 2001/'02 I wouldn't have known firsthand of course, but this had to be the case. I bet there were people buying boy band CDs for their little siblings and such.

The idea they like or would remember the music from this time slightly later on (when it was sorta cool and hadn't yet faded from common radio play) isn't too surprising, since I had a similar experience myself. Where it's shocking is how they favor it so much over what's out there now. Like I said, when I was 10 in 1991 I definitely enjoyed the "classic" mid '80s songs on the radio or MTV/VH1...some of them I already knew from back then. However I equally enjoyed what was new or semi new then.

In other words, I wasn't calling "How Do You Talk To An Angel", "Under the Bridge", Paula Abdul, Phil Collins or tail end power ballads "crap". That's got to say something about the industry, either that or people are just getting more old-school all the time. ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/07 at 6:44 pm

^Yeah, that's another thing that I found really strange about alot of the comments I've seen. When I was, say 12 I had a certain appreciation of songs from the late '80s/early '90s, but I was really into what was popular then. Not only do some of these kids appear to not be into what's popular today, most of them seem to really hate it.

Granted in like 1999, there was some stuff I didn't really care for, like some of the teen pop songs, some rap, and a couple of Nu Metal songs, but there were way more songs then that I liked than not.

I can compare some of what I've heard to my own experiences. New Kids On The Block were huge in 1990 when I was 3, but didn't even know who they were until I was like 6 or 7.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/07 at 6:53 pm

^Yeah, that's another thing that I found really strange about alot of the comments I've seen. When I was, say 12 I had a certain appreciation of songs from the late '80s/early '90s, but I was really into what was popular then. Not only do some of these kids appear to not be into what's popular today, most of them seem to really hate it.

Granted in like 1999, there was some stuff I didn't really care for, like some of the teen pop songs, some rap, and a couple of Nu Metal songs, but there were way more songs then that I liked than not.

I can compare some of what I've heard to my own experiences. New Kids On The Block were huge in 1990 when I was 3, but didn't even know who they were until I was like 6 or 7.

You know what? When I was younger, I used to claim 1991 and 1992 were "the eighties", even if only barely, and I now realize why. Back then, I was either just discovering or getting deeper into alot of stuff that I might've not paid as much attention to a couple years earlier. When I would see "U Can't Touch This", "The Flame", "Straight Up" and "Free Fallin'" on the video channels constantly, my personal perception made it seem like a very 1989ish time.

Lots of times, personal experience can have a runoff of a couple years, particularly if you're a kid.

Plus, in real life, it doesn't play out the way TV shows make it seem...where anything more than 2 years out of date gets trashed by people, especially kids. Things pervade for quite awhile beyond their actual time. I remember lots of people who kept with NES games and '80s music (actually more early-mid '80s) well into the '90s and weren't laughed at for it at all. It was usually just oddball things that were cheesy.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/07 at 7:03 pm

You know what? When I was younger, I used to claim 1991 and 1992 were "the eighties", even if only barely, and I now realize why. Back then, I was either just discovering or getting deeper into alot of stuff that I might've not paid as much attention to a couple years earlier. When I would see "U Can't Touch This", "The Flame", "Straight Up" and "Free Fallin'" on the video channels constantly, my personal perception made it seem like a very 1989ish time.

Lots of times, personal experience can have a runoff of a couple years, particularly if you're a kid.

Plus, in real life, it doesn't play out the way TV shows make it seem...where anything more than 2 years out of date gets trashed by people, especially kids. Things pervade for quite awhile beyond their actual time. I remember lots of people who kept with NES games and '80s music (actually more early-mid '80s) well into the '90s and weren't laughed at for it at all. It was usually just oddball things that were cheesy.

I sort of did the same thing with 2000 and 2001 a couple of years ago. Since so much stuff from 1997-1999 carried over into the early '00s, and video's by more '90s oriented artists like Lenny Kravitz for example were still being played from time to time, it still sort of seemed like the '90s to me even if it wasn't anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/22/07 at 10:55 am

This is slightly off topic, but I've noticed something else weird about the '90s on Youtube that proves the '90s have never really become "uncool" even if they've become a bit dated.

On some of the '90s related video's I've been watching lately, I've seen alot of kids born in the '90s replying on those talking about how well they remember the decade and how great it was. It's not really the 1990-1992 born ones replying that makes it strange, since they were at least partial '90s kids, and probably remember the later part of the decade very well, its the ones that are like 12 or 13 now that are saying it that I find kinda weird.

On some of the "You know your a '90s kid if..." video's I've seen some '95ers and even '96ers claiming to be '90s kids. Its weird because, speaking form experience, most of us '80s born kids wanted nothing to do with the '80s in the '90s.

Written By: tv on 08/22/07 at 11:12 am

Yeah, that's true. But I've seen some even younger than 9 posting about how much they loved the late '90s. Like I said, I've seen some who were as young as 3 or 4 in 1999 talking about how much better it is than today. It's not really the kids in high school liking the Y2K era that surprised me, I was pretty young then myself(12 in 1999 and 15 in 2002), it's just the fact that quite a few middle school kids are into it that surprised me.
I can't believe that people who were 3 year olds in 1999 like the the boyband thing. I mean the Boy band thing is just so uncool to me now. I don;t know see I can like some of the boy band stuff that came out in 1997-1998 but the boy band stuff from 1999-2000 got on my nerves because it was just so overexposed to me that it just wore out its welcome(maybe thats why its so uncool to me, mainly BSB and N"sync in 1999, but 98 Degrees I kinda dig to this day sorry to admit.)I can listen to a N'Sync song like "Tearin Up My Heart" but something like Bye, Bye, Bye I can't stand.

1999 was one of the corniest years in music just as 2007 is in my opinion. I often like down on 1999 in terms of the music scene at the time even though I do like some of the songs from 1999 but 1999 just wasn't was good as 1992-1998.

Written By: Valerie on 11/23/08 at 3:58 am

A 1990er here.

I think the reason why most kids would post such comments is probably because it's in "style" to claim something different as part of their upbringing. Like how a lot of teenagers go around saying that the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen is the sheesh.

Not to say all kids don't remember the music of that time, nor can they appreciate it. Although I consider myself a child of the 90s and a teen of 00s, I have a deep appreciation for 80s culture, specifically it's teen comedies, fashion and new wave and pop music. I believe John Hughes is a better voice of the teen generation, then say, the latest Disney and Nickelodeon stars (Seriously Nick, what happened since 1998?). Michael Jackson, Madonna (she's still fabulous to me) Cyndi Lauper, OMD, Simple Minds and the Thompson Twins and other musicians had different styles compared to the endless monotonous drumming of rap glam. 90s was gold with its classic SNICK lineup, 80s cartoons like the Carebears, the Smurfs, Transformers and Rainbow Brite still played reruns from where I lived. Grunge wasn't all that bad and R&B was good with TLC and Boyz II Men. Even bubblegum pop like the manufactured boyband/girlband invasion in the late 90s sprouted some memorable tunes.

The whole point of this rant is just to say that, well, times were more varied, not necessarily more innocent though. Sure, the internet made information gathering and communication easier, more efficient and less costly on the average, but it made us a generation perhaps more lazy in terms of the creative department. I could vouch for my lot and say there is pretty good anime, but most of my favourites came from manga created in the 1990s e.g. Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter X Hunter, Cain series.

Let's hope for a brighter future in terms of both political, economic and social spheres.

Written By: Davester on 11/23/08 at 5:32 am

Let's hope for a brighter future in terms of both political, economic and social spheres.

Here here...

Written By: 90steen on 11/23/08 at 6:02 pm

I graduated from highschool in 1998, and it's been 10 years since then, and I'm comparing everything that was in then, and in now, i see a difference.

In 1998 - We were all just beginning to get cell phones. Only the lucky kids had them.
In 2008 - You're lame if you don't have a cell phone.

In 1998 - Texting didn't exist, from my knowledge anyways
In 2008 - Texting is how kids prefer to communicate

In 1998 - The internet was used for email, and IM and to find information, and some entertaining pages.
In 2008 - The internet is used for everything

In 1998 - If kids wanted to communicate online. They'd use AOL email or AIM
In 2008 - Myspace. Myspace. Myspace!

In 1998 girls were wearing butterfly clips in their hair and using body glitter.
Rap music wasn't about just oral sex.

I think you've got the point.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/23/08 at 7:30 pm

It was around this time when I didn't keep up with the current pop culture as much as I did a few years before. I also went through a bout with depression at that time, and basically shut off my radio and TV for a long period. Since then, I've been hopelessly behind on what's current.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/23/08 at 8:20 pm

A 1990er here.

I think the reason why most kids would post such comments is probably because it's in "style" to claim something different as part of their upbringing. Like how a lot of teenagers go around saying that the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen is the sheesh.

Not to say all kids don't remember the music of that time, nor can they appreciate it. Although I consider myself a child of the 90s and a teen of 00s, I have a deep appreciation for 80s culture, specifically it's teen comedies, fashion and new wave and pop music. I believe John Hughes is a better voice of the teen generation, then say, the latest Disney and Nickelodeon stars (Seriously Nick, what happened since 1998?). Michael Jackson, Madonna (she's still fabulous to me) Cyndi Lauper, OMD, Simple Minds and the Thompson Twins and other musicians had different styles compared to the endless monotonous drumming of rap glam. 90s was gold with its classic SNICK lineup, 80s cartoons like the Carebears, the Smurfs, Transformers and Rainbow Brite still played reruns from where I lived. Grunge wasn't all that bad and R&B was good with TLC and Boyz II Men. Even bubblegum pop like the manufactured boyband/girlband invasion in the late 90s sprouted some memorable tunes.

The whole point of this rant is just to say that, well, times were more varied, not necessarily more innocent though. Sure, the internet made information gathering and communication easier, more efficient and less costly on the average, but it made us a generation perhaps more lazy in terms of the creative department. I could vouch for my lot and say there is pretty good anime, but most of my favourites came from manga created in the 1990s e.g. Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter X Hunter, Cain series.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Actually, my point of view on the late '90s has changed quite a bit since I originally posted this topic back in January of '07, which was nearly two years ago. Now that even the year 2000 has almost been 10 years ago, I think alot of people have started to just now take another look at the late '90s, and the things that were popular then, as no longer being part of the current era. I still don't think that something from 1998 would seem as outdated today as something from 1988 seemed then, but its not as far off anymore as I used to think.

I'm only about 3 years older than you, so I agree with most of what you said. Even though I was around for the later part of them I never considered myself anything close to being a child of the '80s, in fact it was particularly uncool to like anything that came out in the '80s for most of the time I was in school. Despite that, I liked alot of the cartoons shows and even some of the music from the '80s when I was growing up and still do today.

I graduated from highschool in 1998, and it's been 10 years since then, and I'm comparing everything that was in then, and in now, i see a difference.

In 1998 - We were all just beginning to get cell phones. Only the lucky kids had them.
In 2008 - You're lame if you don't have a cell phone.

In 1998 - Texting didn't exist, from my knowledge anyways
In 2008 - Texting is how kids prefer to communicate

In 1998 - The internet was used for email, and IM and to find information, and some entertaining pages.
In 2008 - The internet is used for everything

In 1998 - If kids wanted to communicate online. They'd use AOL email or AIM
In 2008 - Myspace. Myspace. Myspace!

In 1998 girls were wearing butterfly clips in their hair and using body glitter.
Rap music wasn't about just oral sex.

I think you've got the point.

Yeah, from a technological standpoint, quite a bit has changed since the late '90s. In addition to the internet , alot of people still didn't have computers yet. In fact, I would say that about half of the people I went to school with in 1998 didn't have one yet, myself included. The internet itself was also quite scaled down. Most people that had it at the time used it only to look at websites for information because watching videos was alot more difficult with dial-up and quicktime than it now with Youtube.

Written By: 90steen on 11/23/08 at 9:49 pm

Yes. No one wanted to use the internet for entertainment because people didn't have hours to kill.

But I will admit, it was a big change from 1996 - 1998.

My younger brother was more of a late 90's teen than I was.

Written By: Diamond on 11/24/08 at 7:12 pm

The late 90's feel like yesterday to me. Pop culture wise, it doesn't seem that much different from today. Technology has come some ways, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference, music and fashion wise. There doesn't seem to be a break out music genre in the current decade. The 90's had Grunge, Alternative, and Techno.  The early and mid 90's definitely feel old, especially the early 90's.

Written By: tv on 11/25/08 at 12:42 pm

The late 90's feel like yesterday to me. Pop culture wise, it doesn't seem that much different from today. Technology has come some ways, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference, music and fashion wise. There doesn't seem to be a break out music genre in the current decade. The 90's had Grunge, Alternative, and Techno.  The early and mid 90's definitely feel old, especially the early 90's.
Yes there was a breakout genre in the 2000's it was called glam rap in the in the mid 00's and than in 2007-mid 2008 it was the ringtone rap era that was big. Now its like plain pop and a little bit of rap thats big.

Written By: Guest on 11/26/08 at 2:51 am

The late 90\'s feel like yesterday to me. Pop culture wise, it doesn\'t seem that much different from today. Technology has come some ways, but there doesn\'t seem to be a huge difference, music and fashion wise. There doesn\'t seem to be a break out music genre in the current decade. The 90\'s had Grunge, Alternative, and Techno.  The early and mid 90\'s definitely feel old, especially the early 90\'s.

I myself have thought this for years, but I think it no longer holds in 2008. Where\'s the Backstreet Boys or Sugar Ray of 2008? The late \'90s are a long-gone era, the present is so different.

Written By: Diamond on 11/26/08 at 7:41 am

It's different, but not different enough. Also, fashion is different from the late 90's, but not different enough. Compare the late 80's and late 90's. Ther's a huge, big time difference in fashion and music.

Written By: tv on 11/27/08 at 10:27 am

Too comment on the previous 2 posts yeah 1999 is somewhat different but not different from today in some ways...

I mean Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Christina Aguilera can still make a hit record today. However, 98 Degrees, Enrique Inglaseas,(spelling), Ricky Martin, The Backstreet Boys, and N'Sync as a group minus Justin Timberlake are disbanded or can;t make a hit record anymore.

I think Eminem or Jennifer Lopez can still make a hit record in 2008 but are not as popular as they once were. Jessica Simpson's transition to country music hasn;t been smooth but I think she can still make a hit pop record but like Eminem or Jennifer Lopez she'll never be as popular as she once was.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/27/08 at 6:17 pm

I agree the hit makers of the late 90's can make it look at britney (after her trainwreck phase or her lost weekend) she have a new album out she is more mature and also she is a mom of 2 boys (and i agree marring k-ed or i like to call him capt.redneck was a mistake) christana still has it also more mature and a mom of one,justin still there but other hit makers trying but Miss Jessica Simpson is an idiot (remeber chicken of the sea debacle?)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/07/17 at 11:48 am

I'm bumping this old thread I started so everybody can see what we thought of the late '90s back in 2007. At the time, the late '90s still seemed fairly recent to me, but little did I know that the rise of smartphones, tablets, online streaming and all that good stuff would make even 1999 seem fairly ancient within a few years.

Also, I love my old buddy Marty McFly being stunned that 1996 babies were posting online already. Man, does time fly. I can't believe I posted this over ten years ago. :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 1:01 pm

Seeing '96ers on the Internet back then would be crazy. That would be like seeing 2006ers on the Internet today. ;D I know they're on YouTube and stuff already but I avoid the comment section so I can stay in my bubble.  :-X

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/07/17 at 1:29 pm

I'm bumping this old thread I started so everybody can see what we thought of the late '90s back in 2007. At the time, the late '90s still seemed fairly recent to me, but little did I know that the rise of smartphones, tablets, online streaming and all that good stuff would make even 1999 seem fairly ancient within a few years.

Also, I love my old buddy Marty McFly being stunned that 1996 babies were posting online already. Man, does time fly. I can't believe I posted this over ten years ago. :\'(

Its funny seeing the old posts on this forum. I notice that one of the commenters mentioned how a lot of 95/96ers try to pass on as 90's kids because they were 3/4 in 1999. I have to agree that it is silly for people my age to claim being a kid of a decade they barely remember. But its also kind crazy how in a sense we were the last to have a piece of our childhoods in the 90's. Also the fact that we were in school during the Y2K era and the last to be in compulsory schooling age during 9/11. It really begs the question, do you think mid-late 2000's babies are going to start trying to pass as 2000's kids like people my age did?

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 1:37 pm

Its funny seeing the old posts on this forum. I notice that one of the commenters mentioned how a lot of 95/96ers try to pass on as 90's kids because they were 3/4 in 1999. I have to agree that it is silly for people my age to claim being a kid of a decade they barely remember. But its also kind crazy how in a sense we were the last to have a piece of our childhoods in the 90's. Also the fact that we were in school during the Y2K era and the last to be in compulsory schooling age during 9/11. It really begs the question, do you think mid-late 2000's babies are going to start trying to pass as 2000's kids like people my age did?

My 2005 born sisters remember a lot of 2008/2009 pop culture, especially the Hannah Montanna and High School Musical kid-focused stuff. To me it's not all that outrageous.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/07/17 at 1:54 pm

My 2005 born sisters remember a lot of 2008/2009 pop culture, especially the Hannah Montanna and High School Musical kid-focused stuff. To me it's not all that outrageous.

Of course it aint. I honestly do not lose sleep for people born in the mid 2000's finding stuff from the late 2000's nostalgic. Memories begin around age 3/4, so it would make sense. Some people, (aka your stereotypical {insert decade} kid elitists) would be furious if they were to find out your sister used to watch Hannah Montana. Surprisingly I'm already seeing it on various places on YouTube where early 2000's babies try to bash mid 2000's babies. Another reason why I barely go on YouTube comments anymore, I feel like I'm like one of the only 20 somethings who actually reads/engages with them ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 2:20 pm

Of course it aint. I honestly do not lose sleep for people born in the mid 2000's finding stuff from the late 2000's nostalgic. Memories begin around age 3/4, so it would make sense. Some people, (aka your stereotypical {insert decade} kid elitists) would be furious if they were to find out your sister used to watch Hannah Montana. Surprisingly I'm already seeing it on various places on YouTube where early 2000's babies try to bash mid 2000's babies. Another reason why I barely go on YouTube comments anymore, I feel like I'm like one of the only 20 somethings who actually reads/engages with them ;D

I avoid comment sections of websites in general, unless I know they're well moderated. It's always the unsavoury types with the biggest mouths!  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 4:00 pm

I love 1998!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/07/17 at 4:11 pm

I really hate that "birth date elitist" stuff.

Believe it or not (and I know it's stunning) there's people my age and even older that still do that crap. I saw a guy on YouTube recently that was born in 1984 dumping on late '80s babies for not being able to remember the Cold War (which was over by the time he turned 6, by the way). It's like, dude, you're 32 years old! Stop bragging about your age and get a life! >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/07/17 at 4:13 pm

Well, I'm an almost 20 something and I see comments like those from people born in 2004-2006. They talk about missing Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, iCarly, and the music from the late 2000s. Personally, I don't really care but to me it's a bit weird because they were 0-5 during the late 2000s. I was 0-4 during the early 2000s and I didn't become nostalgic for the early 2000s until 2013/2014 (more than a decade after the early '00s).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/07/17 at 4:20 pm

Believe it or not (and I know it's stunning) there's people my age and even older that still do that crap. I saw a guy on YouTube recently that was born in 1984 dumping on late '80s babies for not being able to remember the Cold War (which was over by the time he turned 6, by the way). It's like, dude, you're 32 years old! Stop bragging about your age and get a life! >:(

During 2011-2013, I had that happen to me a lot personally by some people born 1990-1993. They were trashing me for being born in the late '90s and saying that my childhood sucked and because I don't remember a world before 9/11....I suck. Also, they said that "the 2000s was the worst decade ever". It was really disheartening because I was just 12-14 years old and they were 18-23 years old.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/07/17 at 10:34 pm

I agree. I see people my age sh!t talking on 2000's babies. Its a never ending cycle...

Well, I'm an almost 20 something and I see comments like those from people born in 2004-2006. They talk about missing Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, iCarly, and the music from the late 2000s. Personally, I don't really care but to me it's a bit weird because they were 0-5 during the late 2000s. I was 0-4 during the early 2000s and I didn't become nostalgic for the early 2000s until 2013/2014 (more than a decade after the early '00s).

Yeah for me I didn't start to become the nostalgianut I am today until 2013/2014 when I was turning 18. IDK it felt that bizarre that I was finally an adult and a senior in high school. With that major passage in my life I started to become nostalgic of my childhood

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/08/17 at 10:43 am

Yeah for me I didn't start to become the nostalgianut I am today until 2013/2014 when I was turning 18. IDK it felt that bizarre that I was finally an adult and a senior in high school. With that major passage in my life I started to become nostalgic of my childhood

Coincidentally, I was the exact same age when I first started to get into nostalgia. 17 going on 18 in my senior year of high school. For me, the spark came in February 2005 when I found an old VHS tape that I had recorded some Fox Kids stuff on back in March 1994. It was the first time I'd watched that tape in years, and seeing all of the old commercials and promos and bumpers just gave me a rush of nostalgia. That (along with watching I Love the '80s on VH1) also created my interest in '80s pop culture, which is what first led me to this website in mid 2005. 8)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/08/17 at 10:46 am

Coincidentally, I was the exact same age when I first started to get into nostalgia. 17 going on 18 in my senior year of high school. For me, the spark came in February 2005 when I found an old VHS tape that I had recorded some Fox Kids stuff on back in March 1994. It was the first time I'd watched that tape in years, and seeing all of the old commercials and promos and bumpers just gave me a rush of nostalgia. That (along with watching I Love the '80s on VH1) also created my interest in '80s pop culture, which is what first led me to this website in mid 2005. 8)

That's awesome. What led me to this website was because a couple of my friends from another forum I go on called Personality Cafe recommended it to me. Since I was always intrigued on pop culture, music, history, etc it was a great choice coming here!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/08/17 at 10:47 am

It's unfortunate though it seems like forums aren't as popular as they were. 10-15 years ago. I always preferred forums, they always lead to more substantial and intriguing conversations than just plain Jane blogs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:12 am

That's awesome. What led me to this website was because a couple of my friends from another forum I go on called Personality Cafe recommended it to me. Since I was always intrigued on pop culture, music, history, etc it was a great choice coming here!

I totally agree with the statement in bold. I also was a member of Personality Cafe before joining here.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/08/17 at 11:17 am

I totally agree with the statement in bold. I also was a member of Personality Cafe before joining here.
Whoa really? What's your username there? You can tell me in private if you're not comfortable.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:19 am

Whoa really? What's your username there? You can tell me in private if you're not comfortable.

My username on Personality Cafe is "The Illustrious Reign Man". I joined on Feb. 24, 2017. I joined it 3 weeks BEFORE I joined here (inthe00s.com).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/08/17 at 11:30 am

My username of Personality Cafe is "The Illustrious Reign Man". I joined on Feb. 24, 2017. I joined it 3 weeks BEFORE I joined here (inthe00s.com).
Oh nice! Which site you like the most?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:33 am

Oh nice! Which site you like the most?

I like this one more because there's more people that are active on the forums here than on Personality Cafe. I only have 8 posts on there vs 770 posts on here.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 3:59 pm

I finally found a real life picture of the guy

http://troll.me/images/really-fat-guy-on-computer/really-fat-guy-on-computer.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...