inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Princess Diana

Written By: 90skid555 on 01/05/07 at 9:23 am

Does anyone remember her fenural on tv it was in 1997 i think

Subject: Re: Princess Diana

Written By: KKay on 01/05/07 at 10:49 am

I remember it but I did not watch it; it had no impact on my life then.

Written By: La Roche on 01/05/07 at 11:31 am

Ugh, how dull!

How gives a sh.it. Some broad dies in a tunnel, the only reason anybody gave a sh.it was because she used to be married to Prince Charles.  ::)
Never mind the fact that he's an outdated old twat with a stick up his ass.

I say, let 'em all burn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/07 at 11:54 am

Does anyone remember her fenural on tv it was in 1997 i think

It was in 1997 and I was there.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/05/07 at 12:58 pm

I saw it,i don't care what people say now,we all cried.

Goodbye English Rose

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/07 at 1:00 pm

Goodbye English Rose
It was the shock of it happening so suddenly that effected us.

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 1:03 pm

I still have every single magazine that came out with the headlines of her death.  Same with JFK JR.  Both were tragic.

Written By: Paul on 01/05/07 at 1:04 pm

I think I was actually working on the day of the funeral...

Mind you, you couldn't really escape it, there was coverage everywhere you looked!

This page tells how the story originally broke on British TV & Radio (you'll need RealPlayer or equivalent to play the clips)...

'Ghoulish', probably...but fascinating all the same...

Written By: La Roche on 01/05/07 at 1:52 pm

Goodbye English Rose

I must say, I didn't.

I find the whole thing pathetic to be honest. As I said before, the only reason anybody cares is because she was married to some guy. If she'd done all her magnificent charity work but not been married to Prince Charles, nobody would care.

To me it's hypocrisy.

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 2:01 pm

I must say, I didn't.

I find the whole thing pathetic to be honest. As I said before, the only reason anybody cares is because she was married to some guy. If she'd done all her magnificent charity work but not been married to Prince Charles, nobody would care.

To me it's hypocrisy.

Ok, ... Alex.. I mean Davey. :P

Written By: La Roche on 01/05/07 at 2:02 pm

Ok, ... Alex.. I mean Davey. :P

Ah, but I'm not gonna rag on you for being upset about it.  ;)

I know the difference between conjecture and dogma.  ;D

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 2:03 pm

Ah, but I'm not gonna rag on you for being upset about it.  ;)

I know the difference between conjecture and dogma.  ;D
oohh.. that makes me Hot!

Written By: La Roche on 01/05/07 at 2:04 pm

oohh.. that makes me Hot!

That's because although not morally superior, I am physically superior.  ;D Nuuuuge.

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 2:11 pm

yeah, ok Reichster.  :P

Written By: La Roche on 01/05/07 at 2:12 pm

yeah, ok Reichster.  :P

Thank you for giving my new username!

Written By: Abix on 01/05/07 at 2:21 pm

Thank you for giving my new username!

glad I could be of assistance.

Written By: pink daisy on 01/05/07 at 5:10 pm

I was on holiday in Canada when it happened and I watched the whole thing on tv.  People were crying openly all over Montreal.  All I wanted to do was go home - many of my friends went to the funeral, or laid flowers for her in London.  It may seem strange to some people now, but some of us grew up with Princess Diana - we saw her change from a shy, ordinary girl into a princess.  But you're right, Reich Star - Prince Charles is a w*nker!  (Coming from someone who has met him).

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/07/07 at 12:52 am

And the moral of the story is:  If your chauffeur (better known as your designated driver) is also drunk, then for fark's sake, take a cab, for stupidity is the only capital crime.

Being rich gives you immunity from the government's laws, not from Father Darwin's.  Uncle Chuck has merely to say "Hey, you.  Yeah, you, dumb*ss, getting in the car with the drunk driver.  You.  Outa the gene pool", and there is no appeal.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/07 at 7:25 am

I felt bad for her.  Her family sold her out, the royals railroaded her, then when she was finding some semblence of herself she dies.  It was sad.  Yes, she was from the priviledged class, but in many ways she became an anti-royal by simple gestures, such as hugging her child in public(just not done!).

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/07 at 6:15 pm

Bryan Adams wrote a song about her in 1985 called "Diana".  I dunno if it was a success, but I've got the 12" and the cassingle

Written By: RetroSunnyDays on 02/24/07 at 7:02 pm

Yes, I was about 6 or 7 years old, on holiday with my mum, grandma, grandpa and my uncle and auntie came to stay also, I was in a old holiday house in Weymouth...
My grandpa had dreamt the night before that Princess Diana would die in the car crash, we then awoke...were told, and then watched the news..
Wasn't much to me...I was young.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/24/07 at 9:01 pm

I felt bad for her.  Her family sold her out, the royals railroaded her, then when she was finding some semblence of herself she dies.  It was sad.  Yes, she was from the priviledged class, but in many ways she became an anti-royal by simple gestures, such as hugging her child in public(just not done!).

I agree. I was 21 at the time and I cried for a minute.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/24/07 at 11:25 pm

I was 10, I remember it very well. I watched the funeral and remember Elton John performing the special new version of Candle in the Wind.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:32 pm

I remember this on the news too, when I was 15 going on 16 (I remember I'd just gone out and was actually just coming home when I'd heard it). Whether you "know" them or not, when a famous person, especially a leader of sorts (one who's a good person, at least!) dies, it's a tragedy. I felt sorry for her kids, especially.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/25/07 at 12:44 am

I remember when it happened thinking to myself "Gee, that's too bad," but besides that it had like zero effect on me.

Al's never cried when a stranger died.  ::)

About 2 years later, my brother and I were driving down the interstate just outside of Omaha when we were passed by a Lexus with a personalized license plate that said "MISSUDI." Took us a couple seconds to figure it out but when we did we both groaned in disbelief.  :P :P :P

Written By: La Roche on 02/25/07 at 6:57 am

I remember when it happened thinking to myself "Gee, that's too bad," but besides that it had like zero effect on me.

Al's never cried when a stranger died.  ::)

Exactly. Who cares.

The whole thing was just an exercise in hypocrasy. She did do a lot of good work, that can't be denied, but the fact of the matter is this. There are thousands of people doing just as much and more than she ever did who never even get mentioned when they die.
My Ma has been working with the blind for more than 20 years now, it's not like she expects any big recognition for it.
The sole reason that everybody was so upset when she bit the bullet was that she was married to some sleaze who's in line to be the next King. Not like that position even means anything any more. The sole benefit of being the monarch is a huge tax break.  ;D

But still, somebody died.. in a car crash.. who was like 50 or something.. Oh no, big whoop. I'd actually be sorry if some kid died in a car crash, ya know, with a load of years in which to do something. Not some washed out broad.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/07 at 6:59 am

Exactly. Who cares.

The whole thing was just an exercise in hypocrasy. She did do a lot of good work, that can't be denied, but the fact of the matter is this. There are thousands of people doing just as much and more than she ever did who never even get mentioned when they die.
My Ma has been working with the blind for more than 20 years now, it's not like she expects any big recognition for it.
The sole reason that everybody was so upset when she bit the bullet was that she was married to some sleaze who's in line to be the next King. Not like that position even means anything any more. The sole benefit of being the monarch is a huge tax break.  ;D

But still, somebody died.. in a car crash.. who was like 50 or something.. Oh no, big whoop. I'd actually be sorry if some kid died in a car crash, ya know, with a load of years in which to do something. Not some washed out broad.

Mother Teresa died the day if Dianas funeral, that got by most people.

Written By: La Roche on 02/25/07 at 7:00 am

EXACTLY!!

Jeez, we've found common ground.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/07 at 4:13 pm

Oddly enough, I was in Paris, France, a week before she died, near the same area.

That kinda creeped me out.

Written By: Paul on 02/25/07 at 4:27 pm

Bryan Adams wrote a song about her in 1985 called "Diana".  I dunno if it was a success, but I've got the 12" and the cassingle

Paul Anka wrote a song about her in 1957...four years before she was born! :o

How's that for foresight?  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/25/07 at 9:48 pm

I knew she did and I was saddened just as well by the lack of media attention.

Written By: nally on 02/25/07 at 9:58 pm

I remember this so well...I was just about to begin my senior year of high school. I heard about it on the TV news; due to the time difference, it was the evening of Saturday August 30th on the West Coast. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/07 at 2:27 am

The BBC ended it's broadcast of Diana's Funeral, on the news of Mother Teresa death.

Written By: Derek06 on 06/29/07 at 12:25 am

Ugh, how dull!

How gives a sh.it. Some broad dies in a tunnel, the only reason anybody gave a sh.it was because she used to be married to Prince Charles.  ::)
Never mind the fact that he's an outdated old twat with a stick up his ass.

I say, let 'em all burn.

Utter disrespect right there.  We are talking about a human being and don't tell me you weren't SHOCKED when you first heard the news.  You can feel sorrow to the fact she was only 36, had two sons, and was apart of MANY organizations she cared deeply about.  OFFCOURSE no one could "care" if she didn't marry Prince Charles...no one would KNOW her except her family and friends.  BUT the world DID know Diana and saw her on headlines all the time, leading up to her death.  It's a HUMAN BEING we are talking about and you and your posts show complete disrespect toward her and her family.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:35 am

Utter disrespect right there.  We are talking about a human being and don't tell me you weren't SHOCKED when you first heard the news.  You can feel sorrow to the fact she was only 36, had two sons, and was apart of MANY organizations she cared deeply about.  OFFCOURSE no one could "care" if she didn't marry Prince Charles...no one would KNOW her except her family and friends.  BUT the world DID know Diana and saw her on headlines all the time, leading up to her death.  It's a HUMAN BEING we are talking about and you and your posts show complete disrespect toward her and her family.

May I ask why you would bump an old post like that? ???

Written By: Derek06 on 06/29/07 at 12:58 am

Well sorry...i didn't relaize how old the thread was...it was only a few pages back...well, I got my point across and her memorial concert is on July 1st!  Tune In to vh1!

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 8:23 am

I could care less.

She's just another corpse, I wonder how many other people died that day?

Written By: CharlesDoe on 06/29/07 at 12:21 pm

The Funeral took place on September 6th, 1997, and I remember having spent the night at a friend's house the night before for his birthday party, and then we woke up the next morning and the funeral was on.  We had no interest in watching it of course.  My mother though actually taped the whole thing and i've got the tape right here in my room.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 12:29 pm

The Funeral took place on September 6th, 1997, and I remember having spent the night at a friend's house the night before for his birthday party, and then we woke up the next morning and the funeral was on.  We had no interest in watching it of course.  My mother though actually taped the whole thing and i've got the tape right here in my room.
It must had been on of the most recorded progammes for we taped it, friends of mine taped it too.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:46 pm

I never watched the funeral, but I did buy the Elton John single. 

Y'know, such the hit that song was, that here in Canada, on the SoundScan "Singles Sales" chart, it spent 3 consecutive years in the Top 20, holding #1 for 46 weeks

I kept seeing on TV when they'd list the Top songs in Canada, and I'd see it at #1, and I'd be like "Wow!  It's been like 3 years since she died.  How is that song still at #1?"

Written By: Paul on 06/29/07 at 1:15 pm

Y'know, such the hit that song was, that here in Canada, on the SoundScan "Singles Sales" chart, it spent 3 consecutive years in the Top 20, holding #1 for 46 weeks

I kept seeing on TV when they'd list the Top songs in Canada, and I'd see it at #1, and I'd be like "Wow!  It's been like 3 years since she died.  How is that song still at #1?"

Didn't anyone get a bit tired of it?

I know I did...after about 46 seconds!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:17 pm

It must had been on of the most recorded progammes for we taped it, friends of mine taped it too.
The thing is, we have not even watched the videotape.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 1:24 pm

Didn't anyone get a bit tired of it?

I know I did...after about 46 seconds!  ;)

I always thought the song was kind of boring, so I got bored before I even listened to the single LOL

I hope there won't be a re-release, or a Candle in the Wind 2007.  I don't think I can take another three years of this song ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/29/07 at 1:59 pm

I hope there won't be a re-release, or a Candle in the Wind 2007.  I don't think I can take another three years of this song ;D

I gather Queen Elton's supposed to be singing it at this shindig on Sunday, so just hope like mad!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 2:00 pm

I gather Queen Elton's supposed to be singing it at this shindig on Sunday, so just hope like mad!
I believe Duran Duran are playing too?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/29/07 at 9:12 pm

I never watched the funeral, but I did buy the Elton John single. 

'Cuz her chauffeur, he got drunk,
But she got into the car,
And what sprayed from her aorta,
Could fill a Mason jar.

And I woulda liked to know her,
But instead I'll have beer,
And I'll stay off the road, 'cuz I won't tempt fate,
Like she tempted Charles Darwin.

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 9:45 pm

'Cuz her chauffeur, he got drunk,
But she got into the car,
And what sprayed from her aorta,
Could fill a Mason jar.

And I woulda liked to know her,
But instead I'll have beer,
And I'll stay off the road, 'cuz I won't tempt fate,
Like she tempted Charles Darwin.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/02/07 at 8:53 pm

;D ;D ;D

/takes a bow

Thanks.  My Muse is a flaky biatch, but sometimes she speaks to me.

On a more serious note, the only thing dumber than drunk driver is a sober passenger who rides with a drunk at the wheel.  The Evolver is a mean piece of equipment, and Uncle Chuck's a pretty good shot with it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/07 at 4:52 pm

This thread is a bit old, but it appears I never posted anything in it.

I was 15 when she passed on (Same as Prince William who's only a month younger than I). I also remember it well because she passed away on my father's birthday, Aug. 31st. I did watch the complete funeral procession way into the night. Later on I bought the cassette single to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind (English Rose)"

Didn't Mother Theresa die not long after? I remember them happening within months of one another, or maybe it was within that year?  I remember my brother was reading an article about her in the paper which showed a picture of her when young and he said, "She was actually kinda cute" lol  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 4:54 pm

Didn't Mother Theresa die not long after?
Please read reply #32 in this thread.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/07 at 4:58 pm

The BBC ended it's broadcast of Diana's Funeral, on the news of Mother Teresa death.

I think I actually remember that. (thanks for the reference to your earlier reply)

Written By: Nicky Bain on 07/03/07 at 5:30 pm

I cried the day she died

Written By: 1993 on 07/05/07 at 12:01 am

I remember that evening very well. Late summer, warm day. I was in my parents upstairs bedroom watching TV and kind of enjoying the last gasps of summer. It was my middle college years and I kinda wanted summer to keep going! Didn't feel like going back.

CNN broke in with a story that Diana was in an automobile accident. No reports on her condition. The next update said that she was in serious condition, then it became very serious condition. A watched as reports of her condition became more and more grim, just hoping that it would stabilize and she would pull out of it. Then news broke that she passed away. I was just stunned, she was such a wonderful person. I thought of her sons and all the terrible things they would have to endure. I thought of my own mother and how lucky I am to have her...

awful awful night. Can't believe it's been 10 years already. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 12:22 am

I remember that evening very well. Late summer, warm day. I was in my parents upstairs bedroom watching TV and kind of enjoying the last gasps of summer. It was my middle college years and I kinda wanted summer to keep going! Didn't feel like going back.

CNN broke in with a story that Diana was in an automobile accident. No reports on her condition. The next update said that she was in serious condition, then it became very serious condition. A watched as reports of her condition became more and more grim, just hoping that it would stabilize and she would pull out of it. Then news broke that she passed away. I was just stunned, she was such a wonderful person. I thought of her sons and all the terrible things they would have to endure. I thought of my own mother and how lucky I am to have her...

awful awful night. Can't believe it's been 10 years already. :-\\
The same for me, as I am in the UK the sorrowful events happened overnight, and I think I have already told my story of events here online before. A tragic day and I cannot believe it has been 10 years too.

Check for new replies or respond here...