inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WWF In The 90's

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 01/06/07 at 8:50 pm

For me this is when WWF was at it's best.  Right from collecting Hulk Hogan figures in 90/91 to the attitude era of the late 90's.  Started turning crud in the with Mcahon/Helmsely around 2000 and I don't feel it's been the same since (god I feel sorry for kids born 2000 onwards who missed all what I did, John Cena is meant to be their Steve Austin???)

I have loads wrestlling videos from this decade, plus all the games that came out (WWF Raw/Wrestlemania from 93' and 94', Warzone and Attitude from 98' and 99' etc)

I don't think wrestling will reach these heights again, the 90's were just perfect for it, a mixture of both good gimmicks and great wrestlers.  In the 80's people couldn't wrestle properly and nobody has a proper gimmick in the 00's, apart from all the used up 90's wrestlers who are past it now.

Any other Wrestling fans of the 90's here?

Subject: Re: WWF In The 90's

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/07 at 9:34 pm

Up until the mid 90s, I watched the WWF regularly in the days of man vs. man in the ring.  Now it's all man vs 6 guys back stage with chairs, pipes, and trash cans  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/07/07 at 2:25 am

I liked wrestling in the mid '90s, then I became a huge fan during the 'attitude' era. I watched the WWF every week from about 1998-2002, right around the time they switched to 'WWE' was when I lost interest.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/07/07 at 11:01 pm

I got one word (or two)

THE UNDERTAKER!

Written By: Flameon on 01/16/07 at 5:02 pm

Wrestling was at it's best in the 80's. You had guys like Iron Shiek, Junk Yard Dog, Four Horsemen, Barry Windam, Ricky Steamboat, Andre the Giant, the VonErics....and a lot more. Wrestling in the early 90's was okay. Steve Austin was okay. I liked Razor Ramon.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/16/07 at 6:59 pm

Yeah, I've been a pro wrestling fan since the 70's. I went to a house show in Nov of 96, and got to see the late great tag team of Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith. They were up against The Godwins, and something memorable happened. Phineas and Henry came out to respectable applause. Then Owen and Davey came out, but despite their heel status at the time, the applause was louder for them. Even they looked at each other in amazment. My wife said that it must be because they were a considered to be a Canadian team, even though Davey was British by birth. After Owen and Davey realized they couldn't draw any heat off of the crowd, they dropped the attitudes and just had a ball that evening. Both of them had smiles beaming off of their faces. This is the way that I'll always remember them.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/16/07 at 7:11 pm

Yeah, I've been a pro wrestling fan since the 70's. I went to a house show in Nov of 96, and got to see the late great tag team of Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith. They were up against The Godwins, and something memorable happened. Phineas and Henry came out to respectable applause. Then Owen and Davey came out, but despite their heel status at the time, the applause was louder for them. Even they looked at each other in amazment. My wife said that it must be because they were a considered to be a Canadian team, even though Davey was British by birth. After Owen and Davey realized they couldn't draw any heat off of the crowd, they dropped the attitudes and just had a ball that evening. Both of them had smiles beaming off of their faces. This is the way that I'll always remember them.

Oh yeah, the rest of the matches were:

The Sultan(Rikishi in a mask) vs Carl Le Duc( poor guy. I don't know if this was his tryout but Rikishi left some huge welts on him)
Bob "Spark Plug" Holly vs Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw(Hardcore Holly & JBL)
Vader vs Psycho Sid in a stretcher match
Billy Gunn vs Bart Gunn
MAIN EVENT: The Undertaker & Shawn Michaels(WWF champion at the time) vs Mankind and Golddust

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/07 at 7:48 pm

What about the Bushwackers, Doink The Clown, and Demolition?

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/24/07 at 9:10 am

Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow died on January 19th. Didn't see a post on it, so thought I'd break the news here. RIP Bam Bam.

Written By: tv on 01/24/07 at 4:29 pm

The late 90's/early 00's(1997-2001) was probably wretslings great popularity. I think wrestling overall does good in good economic times sorta like teen pop does and both teen-pop and wrestling were popular around the same too(late 90's/early 00's.) Maybe if we have another good economic time like 1997-2001 wrestling will get popular again. I used too watch RAW when I was in High School. Than I stopped I watching because I had to work after I graduated High School. I remeber Shawn Michaels, the Hart Brothers, Hunter Hurst Helmsley, The Rock, The Undertaker, and Stone Cold.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/25/07 at 2:08 am

I was huge into wrestling, in 1993-1998. I remember '95 kind of sucked, but things got much better in '96. My interest went a little down in '99, though, probably because of the internet. Basically, I've been watching just on and off, since 2000.

Check for new replies or respond here...