inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie(1990)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/22/07 at 8:46 am

With that new TMNT movie coming out later this year, I couldn't help but think about the Turtles first appearance on the big screen almost 17 years ago.

This is the first movie I ever saw in theater, and after buying it on VHS a bit later, I've seen it no less than 20 times over the years. To me this movie seems quite a bit edgier than the majority of "kiddie" movies released these days(and it's two sequels as well). I'll admit that its cheesy(very cheesy ;D), but IMO it's actually really good movie. The plot is pretty good, and its actually aged pretty well, even though some of the special effects look somewhat outdated. Also it's one of the most profitable films ever. Made on a budget of only $15 Million, it grossed over $200 Million at the box office world wide.

Anybody else remember this movie?

Subject: Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie(1990)

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/07 at 11:51 am

I saw this in the theatres also  :-[

When it came out, I was so excited, cause I was a big fan of the cartoon.  I actually liked the sequel "The Secret of the Ooze" better.  the Vanilla Ice cameo was cool. 

"Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!" ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/07 at 12:32 pm

I liked this movie. I was a TMNT fan too...I used to always play the game on my Nintendo!!

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 01/22/07 at 1:40 pm

I saw one of them in the cinema, think it was the 2nd one since the first movie I saw in the theatre was The Rocketeer in 1991 when I was 5 (according to my mom).

Turtles revolved heavily around me in 1990.  I had the Raphael birthday cake for my 4th birthday (unfortunately spilt everywhere on the floor) as with all the other turtle merchandise I got that year (including my school pencil case which I still have!).

Yeah the NES game was pretty cool as well.  Never completed it though, got near Shredder while playing back in 1992 but couldn't get any further, something I aim to do then since I still have it I think.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/22/07 at 4:37 pm

I saw this in the theatres also  :-[

When it came out, I was so excited, cause I was a big fan of the cartoon.  I actually liked the sequel "The Secret of the Ooze" better.  the Vanilla Ice cameo was cool. 

"Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!" ;D

Oh yeah, the "Ninja Rap" song. I remember that. It was extremely cheesy(it was Vanilla Ice after all ;D) but still pretty cool though.

I liked both the first 2 movies alot. "The Secret of the Ooze" was a bit cheesier than the first one, but I always liked it. The 3rd one was the one that I really didn't like :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/07 at 5:42 pm

I like the first film alot!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/07 at 2:34 pm

My niece (who will be 19 this year) was obsessed with the Ninja Turtles, and watched this movie pretty much constantly as a kid.  Since I babysat her every day, I watched it too.  I really liked it, except every time I watched it I had a strange craving for pizza.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/24/07 at 9:28 am

Me too!

The strange craving for pizza part that is!

;D

Written By: Banks on 01/30/07 at 3:51 am

Oh WOW!!! Talk about a 90's flashback!!!

I have this movie on VHS, but I originally saw it on the big screen...I was always disapointed that April in the cartoon looked hotter than April in the movie...But still...I was 18 in 1990, and I bought all the collector cards from the cartoon and the movie (still have them) and my younger brother bought the toys (he still has the turtles, Master Yoshi, Shredder, Casey Jones and April plus a sewers playset with Casey Jone's soft top jeep (which he still has).

I was more pleased with April in the 2nd Ninja Turtles movie.

AN

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/30/07 at 9:42 am

love this movie.  i'm gonna have to go home and watch it now.  thanks!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/30/07 at 10:46 am

What are everyone's thoughts on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III?

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/07 at 6:39 pm

The 3rd one sucked ass.  The only thing I liked about it was Paige Turco as April.  I had such the hots for her in the 90s 8)

http://images.askmen.com/imagessexsymbol/2003_feb/paige_turco/paige_turco_150.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/31/07 at 3:12 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III?

I never really liked the 3rd one all that much. It's even cheesier than the first two, and also not nearly as good.

Written By: Dave79 on 01/31/07 at 11:26 pm

The first movie was cool, never liked the others at all.

--
Dave.

Written By: twistedwarp on 02/08/07 at 11:26 pm

I was 3 when I first saw it on VHS. and Was obessed along with Batman. Batman was my first word actually .lol

Written By: woops on 02/09/07 at 7:17 pm

Wonder if K Fed is in the new movie  ::) :P

Liked it as a kid, though corny now.

The new version of the cartoon is a bit darker, though tries too hard to be like anime or something

Check for new replies or respond here...