inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90's hatred of 80's pop culture in the 90's:

Written By: tv on 01/24/07 at 3:53 pm

I remember once in High School I was counting up votes to see what the prom song should be for our senior class in 1998. I remember a paper where some kid wrote "thats 80's" and I think the song was "Don;t Dream Its Over" by Crowded House. Did you notice any bad comment by other people in the 90's that said bad thing about the 80's? Funny thing is on the same paper he/she bashed that Crowded House song he voted for Footloose by Kenny Loggins to be our prom song and I was thinking thats 80's too.

The 80's still had its fans too though in my graduating class. One kid liked Def Leppard at the time and somebody else like Duran Duran too.

Subject: Re: The 90's hatred of 80's pop culture in the 90's:

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/07 at 5:51 pm

The sudden notion to change fashon trends has given away to more gradual morphing of pop culture.  The '50s and the '70s saw deliberate rejection in the '60s and the '80s.  Because the "counterculture" of the '60s really blossomed into fashion for the masses in the '70s, people trying to look like hippies were still "groovy."  Heck, they still are today.

By the late '70s, the styles grew so heinus, and with the country turning more conservative, the '80s fashion mavens knew a change was due. 

I never saw any hatred of '80s fashion in the '90s.  It's more extreme versions of stuff that caught on in the '80s.  Thongs caught on in the '80s, but they were thongs, not what we used to call G-strings!

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/24/07 at 10:45 pm

It wasn't hated per se, it was cheesy and dated in a "recently old" sense.

I will say though, it's interesting to think of all the different school experienced I had in terms of what the kids thought of the '80s at the time. It really was all over the board, some were more old-school like me with what they liked, while some were like Eminem/Vanilla Ice clones who pretended to be too cool to know about anything predating 1991 (although I've never met anyone my age that didn't at least know some stuff firsthand about the late '80s).

But the trademark '80s icons (Miami Vice, legwarmers, hair metal, Valley Girls) were usually laughed at (although I think some of them liked it in secret). ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/25/07 at 10:26 am

It wasn't hated per se, it was cheesy and dated in a "recently old" sense.

I will say though, it's interesting to think of all the different school experienced I had in terms of what the kids thought of the '80s at the time. It really was all over the board, some were more old-school like me with what they liked, while some were like Eminem/Vanilla Ice clones who pretended to be too cool to know about anything predating 1991 (although I've never met anyone my age that didn't at least know some stuff firsthand about the late '80s).

But the trademark '80s icons (Miami Vice, legwarmers, hair metal, Valley Girls) were usually laughed at (although I think some of them liked it in secret). ;)

I think that the way people felt about the '80s around 1993 or so, is sort of like how people feel about nu metal, and some other stuff from the late '90s/early '00s now. For example, Limp Bizkit are still coming out with albums today, and there's still quite a few people that like them, but it's generally considered to be uncool to like them.

I think there were probably quite a few people that still liked hair metal, and other '80s stuff in say 1993 or so, but it was definitely considered to be uncool to still like it by then. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/07 at 6:07 pm

I think that the way people felt about the '80s around 1993 or so, is sort of like how people feel about nu metal, and some other stuff from the late '90s/early '00s now. For example, Limp Bizkit are still coming out with albums today, and there's still quite a few people that like them, but it's generally considered to be uncool to like them.

I think there were probably quite a few people that still liked hair metal, and other '80s stuff in say 1993 or so, but it was definitely considered to be uncool to still like it by then. 

Yeah, I agree. While I think it might be acceptable for someone to say they liked LB a few years ago, yeah, if you tried to say "Yo, Limp' is da bomb!" now, people would laugh you out of the room and tell you to go back to 1999. ;D

That change (even with the more cheesy/easily datable stuff) is very evident, but was more gradual than the '80s to '90s one.

In fact, I think that's the very reason it was so cheesy - it changed (from the point of view of a mainstream pop culture follower, anyway) so fast that it caught some people off guard before they could slowly adapt to it. The underground/college scene is a different story, but even the cooler mainstream crowd were left in the dust a little!

I heard alot of '80s music and saw movies from then, for the first time during the '90s (which is kinda why I never considered them to be as different as the media sometimes portrays them). So there were tons of people proudly holding onto it in 1994, even 1997, it just wouldn't have made them any cooler to do it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/07 at 5:29 pm

Yeah, I agree. While I think it might be acceptable for someone to say they liked LB a few years ago, yeah, if you tried to say "Yo, Limp' is da bomb!" now, people would laugh you out of the room and tell you to go back to 1999. ;D

That change (even with the more cheesy/easily datable stuff) is very evident, but was more gradual than the '80s to '90s one.

In fact, I think that's the very reason it was so cheesy - it changed (from the point of view of a mainstream pop culture follower, anyway) so fast that it caught some people off guard before they could slowly adapt to it. The underground/college scene is a different story, but even the cooler mainstream crowd were left in the dust a little!

I heard alot of '80s music and saw movies from then, for the first time during the '90s (which is kinda why I never considered them to be as different as the media sometimes portrays them). So there were tons of people proudly holding onto it in 1994, even 1997, it just wouldn't have made them any cooler to do it.

Yeah, I actually don't think the '80s were hated quite as much in the '90s as people think they were. Sure, alot of the 1984ish stuff might've been totally uncool by the early '90s, but there were still quite a few artists from say 1989 that were somewhat popular in 1993 or so.

Sort of like how a nu metal act can come out with a new album today, and even though there not considered to be "cool", it will still sell well.

Written By: tv on 01/26/07 at 7:29 pm

Yeah, I actually don't think the '80s were hated quite as much in the '90s as people think they were. Sure, alot of the 1984ish stuff might've been totally uncool by the early '90s, but there were still quite a few artists from say 1989 that were somewhat popular in 1993 or so.

Sort of like how a nu metal act can come out with a new album today, and even though there not considered to be "cool", it will still sell well.
What nu metal band is selling well?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 7:37 pm

What nu metal band is selling well?

Korn had a hit in 2006 "Coming Undone", it did alright for a rock song. Twisted Transistor was top 10 on the rock charts. Three Days Grace is big, idk if they're considered nu metal or not. Incubus, they're popular still, again maybe not exactly nu metal. Of course some people say Nickelback is nu metal, so I don't know. "rap metal" is what is dead, Korn have gone away from that so have all the still popular once rap metal groups.

Written By: tv on 01/26/07 at 7:53 pm

Korn had a hit in 2006 "Coming Undone", it did alright for a rock song. Twisted Transistor was top 10 on the rock charts. Three Days Grace is big, idk if they're considered nu metal or not. Incubus, they're popular still, again maybe not exactly nu metal. Of course some people say Nickelback is nu metal, so I don't know. "rap metal" is what is dead, Korn have gone away from that so have all the still popular once rap metal groups.
Yeah Korn is nu metal. Three Days Grace they started out as a post-grunge band to me but I wouldn;t label them post grunge anymore. Nickleback is post-grunge(even though on their latest hit singles off their  latest album have gotten away from that sound) to me and are not nu-metal. Incubus is not nu-,metal to me.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 7:55 pm

Yeah Korn is nu metal. Three Days Grace they started out as a post-grunge band to me but I wouldn;t label them post grunge anymore. Nickleback is post-grunge(even though on their latest hit singles off their  latest album have gotten away from that sound) to me and are not nu-metal. Incubus is not nu-,metal to me.

Nu metal really should be strictly rap metal, and going by that definition nu metal is in fact dead.

Written By: tv on 01/26/07 at 8:04 pm

Nu metal really should be strictly rap metal, and going by that definition nu metal is in fact dead.
Nu-Metal died somewhere in 2003. From what I remember Linkin Park was still popular in 2002 but by 2004 they had that hit song wih Jay-Z back in 2004 but they haven;t put any new music since then I don;t think.i

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 8:05 pm

Nu-Metal died somewhere in 2003. From what I remember Linkin Park was still popular in 2002 but by 2004 they had that hit song wih Jay-Z back in 2004 but they haven;t put any new music since then I don;t think.i

They do have an album coming out in 2007, but like Korn, most likely is moving away from rap metal.

Check for new replies or respond here...