inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What the hell has happend to MTV?

Written By: analogue on 01/26/07 at 2:16 pm

Does anyne remember when MTV ACTUALLY played music? Cause i sure as hell don't. All we seem to be getting is reality TV crap on there. MTV stands for Music Televison! It's not RTV for crying out loud. You wouldnt switch on the cooking channels and there'd be a game of football going on

Subject: Re: What the hell has happend to MTV?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/26/07 at 2:46 pm

I've been wondering the same thing for over a decade now... the channel is a shadow of its former self and they should seriously consider changing the network's name...

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 2:49 pm

They show music videos when almost nobody is watching (3-9 am), sometimes I catch a few hours when I get up.

Written By: Dave79 on 01/26/07 at 2:52 pm

I will say it again, Mtv is pointless and a waste of space for cable companies and has been for the past ten years at least.  Maybe cable companies could get some better channels they would quit paying the fee for that piece of s***.

--
Dave.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/07 at 4:02 pm

They show music videos when almost nobody is watching (3-9 am), sometimes I catch a few hours when I get up.

Yeah, I noticed that. I also remember that the last time I watched TRL(even though that was years ago) they only showed like 30 or 40 seconds of a video before they cut it off ::)

Written By: woops on 01/26/07 at 4:10 pm

Blame it all on "Real World", "TRL", overexposure of rap, and the fact the "M" now stands for Moronic...  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, I noticed that. I also remember that the last time I watched TRL(even though that was years ago) they only showed like 30 or 40 seconds of a video before they cut it off ::)

Yeah I know, TRL doesn't even show videos really, just a bunch of annoying screaming kids. I don't really bother watching it anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/26/07 at 4:19 pm

Yeah I know, TRL doesn't even show videos really, just a bunch of annoying screaming kids. I don't really bother watching it anymore.

Oh yeah, I remember when they would cut into the video so the people in the audience could give those annoying "shout-outs". MTV sucking so bad was part of the reason I started watching Fuse a few years back, but now even they've started to become somewhat the same :(

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/07 at 5:26 pm

I sure am glad I don't get MTV.  It sounds like a waste of a channel

It's Music TV.  What the hell does The Real World and shows about style have to do with music? 

Written By: tv on 01/26/07 at 7:58 pm

It's Music TV.  What the hell does The Real World and shows about style have to do with music? 
MTV since 1999 has gone downhill to me. They would still play video's in 1998 and MTV2 was ok there for awhile. I don;t care for MTV anymore. The FUSE is ok if you like EMO which they play alot of which I don;t like. I usually listen to XM radio off the Sattelite dish. They play R&B, alternative Rock, 90's, 80's(all the stuff without the annoying stuff and no radio DJ cutting the last part of a song out so he can talk through the end of the song.)

Maybe MTV can still make a profit on the Real World and stuff like that that they don;t need to play music video's.

Written By: woops on 01/26/07 at 8:03 pm

Here's a timeline of it's rise & downfall from last year...

On August 1st, 2006, it'll mark the 25th year of a once great network called "MTV", when the "M" stood for "Music" not "Moronic".

http://www.hvrsd.k12.nj.us/timberlane/home/student/MaxH/mtv.gif

From from mediocre "MTV 20" music video DVD set, "On August 1, 1981, at 12 midnight, music history was made! Although it didn't seem like it at the time, the launch of MTV, the world's first 24 hour music channel, not only revolutionized the music business, but also transformed film, fashion, and television around the world. Not bad for a cable channel that started with a mere 8 hours of programming, no advertisers, and a very few supporters"

(The 1980's: Music Television)

August 1, 1981: On 12:01 AM, MTV debuts. The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" is the first video to air on the network. Pat Benatar "You Better Run" was the second...

The original VJs: Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, and the late JJ Jackson.

March 1, 1982: The "I Want My MTV" campaign begins. MTV merchandises goes on sale later in the year.

March 31. 1983: MTV airs Michael Jackson's "Beat It" & "Billie Jean" videos after being critized of not showing videos from African American artists.

September 14, 1984: The Video Music Awards made it's debut with hosts Dan Ackroyd & Bette Midler. The Cars' "You Might Think" won video of the year.

July 13, 1985: MTV presents a 17 hour coverage of Live Aid.

May of 1986:: Downtown Julie Brown becomes first new VJ in 5 years, a month later Nina Blackwood & JJ Jackson leaves the network

"120 Minutes" (1986 to ? on MTV/cancelled around 2003 on MTV2) debuts later in 1986.

1987: MTV expands their programming with music related shows with "Club MTV" (1987 to 1992), "Week In Rock" (1987 to 1998), and the game show "Remote Control" (1987 to 1990) that launched the careers of Adam Sandler & Dennis Leary. Reruns of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" & "The Monkees" are also shown.

"Head Bangers Balls" (1987 to 1994 on MTV/2003 to present on MTV2) also debut.

August 6, 1988: "Yo! MTV Raps" (1988 to 1995) debut, which the genre becomes more mainstream years to come, hosted by Ed Lover and Dr. Dre (not the rapper) and Fab 5 Freddy

1989: Fashion based show "House of Style" (1989 to mid 1990's) hosted by Cindy Crawford debuts... though wasn't as bad compared to a certain show that would air a few years later also more non music related shows will follow in the nest decade

"MTV Unplugged" (1989 to ?) debuts later that year, which feature bands performing acoustic versions of their hits. Inspired from a VMA performance from Bon Jovi.

(Early/Mid '90's: Media Television)

1990: Madonna's "Justify My Love" music video gets banned. Though not the first, but probably the most infamous video to be banned from MTV.

1991: MTV debuts "Liquid Television" (early '90s), which featured animated shorts and introduced Aeon Flux and the nachos munchin' duo Beavis & Butt-Head. Wasn't music related, but "Adult Swim" wasn't around and animation was still considered "kids stuff" despite the wide appeal of "The Simpsons" (Fox) and "Ren & Stimpy" (Nickelodeon).

1992: MTV debuts "The Real World" (1992 to present), which is one of the first "reality" shows... Unfortunately this drek is still on the air, which "reality" tv became popular in the 2000's and the network hardly ever airs music videos.

1993: "Beavis & Butt-Head" (1993 to 1997), created by Mike Judge, gets their own show and also were also music videos answer to "MST3K".

Some time in the mid 1990's: MTV airing less and less videos...

...jump a couple years since there's nothing worth mentioning...

(1997 to present: Mornic Television)
1997: "Daria" (1997 to 2000) debuts, which is a spinoff of "Beavis & Butt-Head".

1998: "TRL" (1998 to present) debuts with dull host Carson Daly, which only air a minute of a music video with yelling teenyboppers interrupting the clip. MTV hardly airs any videos in their entirity.

I also started watching more VH1, which will later go downhill in a few years.

1999: Sock puppet duo "Sifl & Olly" (1999/2000) debut and the third season was never shown :mad: ...though could've been better on Comedy Central. Music videos aired during the dusk, the last time I checked they aired "Punk'd" about three years ago. No more music videos.

2000: A vast cesspool of reality shows and idiots doing dumb stunts... :rolleyes:

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/26/07 at 9:36 pm

One word....

TLR

::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/26/07 at 10:35 pm

We got MTV in October, after being without for 10 years. Now we must suffer through this dreck. Well of course we don't have to watch it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/26/07 at 10:45 pm

I can tell you exactly what happened to MTV.  The novelty of airing music videos 24 hours a day wore off, and wore off fast.  So, as the station grew and expanded, went into other countries, made more money.....they needed to keep themselves from being seen as passe and irrelevant.  Vh1 came around about this time, BET came around as well and those stations were airing music videos 24 hours a day.  MTV needed a way to stand out, and believe it or not, original programming was always part of MTV, just not the whole part. 

They developed more original programming, and some of the early programs were far superior to what they're airing now, to keep themselves from getting lost in all the other music channels that were coming out.  They've let it go too far....so far in fact, that if you turn on MTV at any given time of the day, the chances of you seeing a music video are about less than 10%. 

Another reason they don't air music videos as much anymore, has to do with the expansion of cable TV itself.  MTV developed a sister station, MTV2, and that station took over the bulk of the video rotation while MTV focused on the programming.  Now they have I think 3 or 4 other MTV stations that play videos 24 hours a day, but you need to have digital cable to get them.  Vh1 did the same thing eventually, and so did BET.  If you want the MTV you grew up with, get digital cable and turn on MTV Hits. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/26/07 at 10:58 pm

MTV deviating from music videos or other music related programming is certainly nothing new. Even as early as, like 1988, there were moving away from that and towards other shows like Remote Control, or the precursor to RTV with Real World in the early '90s. As much as it sucks now, the fact is, what they do now with TRL and everything else is just an extension of that.

I honestly never watched them much though, other than the odd show here and there. Ever since 1991 when I started watching music vids, I preferred VH1 since they were more music-themed and did more '80s. So it's not as big of a loss to me, perhaps 'cause I'm used to it.

Although I do mourn VH1 kinda going down the same road since the early '00s (i.e. Flava of Love). Their last good period was with Behind the Music and Pop Up Video in the 1996-2001 era.

Written By: fusefan on 01/27/07 at 8:25 pm

At least you people remember when it played videos. I was born in 1990 and it sucks not knowing what A good channel it probably was before all this reality junk came along.  I feel gypped!

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 01/28/07 at 4:40 pm

Mtv used to be cool with the top 20 countdown,the week in rock,house of style,but the one show stupid actully 2 was oddvill mtv and the blame game

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/29/07 at 12:51 pm

I got all of my musical knowledge from MTV in the early -mid 90's.

I refuse to watch it now ,and I watch VH1 Classic.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/07 at 1:12 pm

The thing is, somebody is watching these reality shows and TRL.  If MTV wasn't making money on this stuff, they wouldn't air it, plain and simple.  I will admit to watching the Real World and it's spin offs - they came out when I was a teenager and I've always liked them.  MTV always has, and always will be aimed at teenagers, and if they think teenagers want to watch "My Super Sweet 16" and "Laguna Beach" then that's the stuff they're going to promote. 

Beth, I watch MTV Hits all the time, btw.  I love it.

Written By: Davester on 01/29/07 at 1:40 pm

I think MTV, being an entertainment business, had to change with the times to survive.  I think their choice of programming reflects contemporary pop culture.  And that's what sells.  Don't blame MTV and don't kill the messenger...

I doubt MTV could have survived by airing music videos 24/7...

Anyway, this guy's interest in MTV pretty much ended with the eighties...well, with the exception of Headbanger's Ball...

Thank goodness for VH1 Classic groove ;) on...

Written By: tv on 01/29/07 at 11:33 pm

The thing is, somebody is watching these reality shows and TRL.  If MTV wasn't making money on this stuff, they wouldn't air it, plain and simple.  I will admit to watching the Real World and it's spin offs - they came out when I was a teenager and I've always liked them.  MTV always has, and always will be aimed at teenagers, and if they think teenagers want to watch "My Super Sweet 16" and "Laguna Beach" then that's the stuff they're going to promote. 

Well I guess MTV is for the teengers and not for a 27 year old like me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/29/07 at 11:34 pm

Vh1 Classic is one of the greatest channels ever. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/29/07 at 11:35 pm

Well I guess MTV is for the teengers and not for a 27 year old like me.

I know plenty of people my age (24) and older who watch MTV.  MTV is geared towards the younger demographics yes, but that doesn't mean someone out of that demographic can't watch it. 

Written By: Brian06 on 01/29/07 at 11:40 pm

I know plenty of people my age (24) and older who watch MTV.  MTV is geared towards the younger demographics yes, but that doesn't mean someone out of that demographic can't watch it. 

Oh yeah my one cousin is 27 and she likes MTV. I know a lot of people in their 20s or even 30s that watch MTV.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/29/07 at 11:52 pm

I think MTV, being an entertainment business, had to change with the times to survive.  I think their choice of programming reflects contemporary pop culture.  And that's what sells.  Don't blame MTV and don't kill the messenger...

I doubt MTV could have survived by airing music videos 24/7...

Anyway, this guy's interest in MTV pretty much ended with the eighties...well, with the exception of Headbanger's Ball...

Thank goodness for VH1 Classic groove ;) on...

Yeah, I agree. MTV has always followed what's popular. It's really the main reason that it's been so popular for all these years. I watch MTV sometimes, but I really prefer VH1 Classic.

Written By: tv on 01/30/07 at 12:15 am

I understand that I can still watch but I just don;t like it anymore. If they played video;s of various musical genres I would gladly watch but they don't play video's. I'm not saying they have to play 24/7 for me to be satisfied. What about just 6-12 hours tops a day of video's. Thats all I ask just half a day's worth of video's 5-6 days a week. Nobody's going to watch music video's on a Sunday because Sunday is NASCAR race and pro football day anyway.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 12:18 am

Nobody's going to watch music video's on a Sunday because Sunday is NASCAR race and pro football day anyway.

WTF?  Do all stations cease to have programming on Sunday?  I watch plenty of music videos on Sunday, especially if I'm home and there's nothing else on.  I turn on Vh1 Classic or MTV Hits and just veg out.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/30/07 at 12:22 am

You got to understand too nowadays with broadband internet that there isn't as much need for MTV to show videos all day, people can easily watch them online.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 12:24 am

You got to understand too nowadays with broadband internet that there isn't as much need for MTV to show videos all day, people can easily watch them online.

YouTube PWNS! 

Written By: Davester on 01/30/07 at 12:35 am

YouTube PWNS! 

Seconded..!

The old vids, the retro commercials, the station IDs, the retro TV segments...

Written By: Brian06 on 01/30/07 at 12:37 am

YouTube PWNS! 

Totally! I LOVE YouTube.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/30/07 at 10:12 am

That is what I was thinking.  With just about everything going "on-demand" due to the internet, digital cable, digital satellite, etc., people can just about watch what they want when they want.  Im sure this trend will continue into the future with even more choices.

Written By: Marian on 01/30/07 at 1:41 pm

Seconded..!

The old vids, the retro commercials, the station IDs, the retro TV segments...
I's like to see a rock and roll era channel.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/30/07 at 2:45 pm

Oh yeah my one cousin is 27 and she likes MTV. I know a lot of people in their 20s or even 30s that watch MTV.

I'm 29 and I watch it all the time. 

Written By: Davester on 01/31/07 at 4:48 pm

I's like to see a rock and roll era channel.

Closest we may see is VH1 Classic, unless I'm missing something...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/31/07 at 7:02 pm

I will say it again, Mtv is pointless and a waste of space for cable companies and has been for the past ten years at least.  Maybe cable companies could get some better channels they would quit paying the fee for that piece of s***.

--
Dave.

I wouldn't say ten years ago. I'd say more like 7 years ago, just when reality TV was really getting popular to ad nauseum effect. At least 10 years ago, from what I can remember, they had a few shows like Singled Out and the Real World to which it kind of enhanced the programming with music still being the primary focus. Now, music videos have been put to the wayside and MTV has turned into a wreckless sub-culture of bad programming.

"I want my, I want my MTV"  Money for Nothing - Dire Straits

Where's Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/01/07 at 9:31 am

I wouldn't say ten years ago. I'd say more like 7 years ago, just when reality TV was really getting popular to ad nauseum effect. At least 10 years ago, from what I can remember, they had a few shows like Singled Out and the Real World to which it kind of enhanced the programming with music still being the primary focus. Now, music videos have been put to the wayside and MTV has turned into a wreckless sub-culture of bad programming.

"I want my, I want my MTV"  Money for Nothing - Dire Straits

Where's Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren?

Yeah I agree. MTV didn't start to turn the way it is now until the very end of the '90s. Even into the late '90s(as I recall anyway) they still showed music video's a decent bit. I don't think it was until about 1999/2000 that MTV basically became what it is today.

Written By: woops on 02/01/07 at 5:05 pm

I still watched MTV in the later '90's, though mostly claymated celebrity fights and sock puppets. Music videos were shown in decent times and even some specials like "MTV 500", "Authentic Reproduction", and their "Top 10 Greatest" lists.

I'll admit that I had a bit of a crush on Serena Altschul

Written By: Dave79 on 02/01/07 at 5:09 pm

The mid 90s were a transition time for MTV, from one focus to another.. and finally to what it has became now..  I think i last enjoyed MTV last around 1995-1997. After that they really cut down on the playing of music videos more and more. Sandblast and Singled Out those where there and took up space and with the real world going on it just took more air time.. then Trl with its lack of even showing a video, even if it was worth showing. I guess there are those out there that like how it is now.. must be they do it.  I myself do not have highspeed internet at all.. so I cant just go watch music videos on demand so i guess I'm just screwed in that aspect. VH1 classic for me i guess until they f*** that up to. You just know they will.  ???

--
Dave

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/01/07 at 5:31 pm

The mid 90s were a transition time for MTV, from one focus to another.. and finally to what it has became now..  I think i last enjoyed MTV last around 1995-1997. After that they really cut down on the playing of music videos more and more. Sandblast and Singled Out those where there and took up space and with the real world going on it just took more air time.. then Trl with its lack of even showing a video, even if it was worth showing. I guess there are those out there that like how it is now.. must be they do it.  I myself do not have highspeed internet at all.. so I cant just go watch music videos on demand so i guess I'm just screwed in that aspect. VH1 classic for me i guess until they f*** that up to. You just know they will.  ???

--
Dave

;D  They better not mess with VH1 Classics. I don't get it anymore, but I actually taped it overnight just so I could watch the programming that I missed. I was REALLY addicted. It was like reliving my childhood all over again :0)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/03/07 at 10:09 pm

This has crossed my mind before, too. I don't think they'd have much of an audience if they showed videos (older or current) all or nearly all day, for better or worse, there just isn't the demand for it anymore like there was for mid '80s MTV or early '90s VH1.

However, I've also always wondered what it would be like if they showed some old-school videos for, let's say an hour a week. Hell, an hour a month, even if it was just late at night or something. I imagine, not only would it get people who were already fans of that stuff to tune it, but it'd probably pick up new fans, too.

Although, usually when a flagship station deletes a certain show or type of programming, that means there's just not the high demand for it anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/07 at 9:40 am

This has crossed my mind before, too. I don't think they'd have much of an audience if they showed videos (older or current) all or nearly all day, for better or worse, there just isn't the demand for it anymore like there was for mid '80s MTV or early '90s VH1.

However, I've also always wondered what it would be like if they showed some old-school videos for, let's say an hour a week. Hell, an hour a month, even if it was just late at night or something. I imagine, not only would it get people who were already fans of that stuff to tune it, but it'd probably pick up new fans, too.

Although, usually when a flagship station deletes a certain show or type of programming, that means there's just not the high demand for it anymore.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Back in the '80s, and pretty much all the '90s, there was really no way to watch music video's on demand, so watching MTV or VH1 was basically the only way to watch your favorite videos. But now there's just not the same market for a channel that plays music video's 24/7, since you can already watch them whenever you want.

Also, it would be neat if they played an hour or so of old-school videos a week/month. Unfortunately, I'd say thats about as likely as Nickelodeon putting some of there old school '80s and '90s shows back into regular rotation :(

Written By: SpleeMckee on 02/04/07 at 11:16 am

Oh yeah, I remember when they would cut into the video so the people in the audience could give those annoying "shout-outs". MTV sucking so bad was part of the reason I started watching Fuse a few years back, but now even they've started to become somewhat the same :(

About the fuse thing, i know exactly what you're talking about! I started watching it in about 2004 maybe, and they always had videos on. Now they have Pantsoff Danceoff, which i find insanely stupid. That one show about the intern guy. argh. But Theyre still 10x better than Mtv, thats fur shurr.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/07 at 2:39 pm

About the fuse thing, i know exactly what you're talking about! I started watching it in about 2004 maybe, and they always had videos on. Now they have Pantsoff Danceoff, which i find insanely stupid. That one show about the intern guy. argh. But Theyre still 10x better than Mtv, thats fur shurr.

Yeah, I started watching Fuse back in 2003, and watched it almost everyday for about 2 years or so. Here lately though, they've started showing less and less music videos.

Written By: nally on 02/04/07 at 2:42 pm

Yeah, I started watching Fuse back in 2003, and watched it almost everyday for about 2 years or so. Here lately though, they've started showing less and less music videos.

Really? I was watching Fuse in early 2002 and they had some pretty decent stuff. What do they show now? I haven't watched 'em in ages.

Written By: nally on 02/04/07 at 2:43 pm

Does anyne remember when MTV ACTUALLY played music? Cause i sure as hell don't. All we seem to be getting is reality TV crap on there. MTV stands for Music Televison! It's not RTV for crying out loud. You wouldnt switch on the cooking channels and there'd be a game of football going on

Yeah, I was a little kid when they actually showed music VIDEOS, lol. ::) Of course, back then we didn't get cable so I couldn't watch it. I think MTV really stands for Moronic Television now...or is it Messed-up Television? ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/07 at 2:45 pm

Really? I was watching Fuse in early 2002 and they had some pretty decent stuff. What do they show now? I haven't watched 'em in ages.

They still show alot more video's than MTV does, but around the time I stopped watching, they started showing more reality based stuff like MTV. I actually haven't really watched the channel in almost 2 years so I don't really what they show now either.

Written By: nally on 02/04/07 at 2:47 pm

They still show alot more video's than MTV does,

Well that's good.

but around the time I stopped watching, they started showing more reality based stuff like MTV. I actually haven't really watched the channel in almost 2 years so I don't really what they show now either.

I can't remember the last time I watched it so that's why I asked. I'll stay away from them while they show reality-based shows.

Written By: woops on 02/05/07 at 3:55 pm

In the mid '90's, MTV would have something like "It Came From the '80's", heck now there's hardly anything of the '90's

Then again, not much of anything music related  ::)

Written By: Chairman on 03/06/07 at 11:48 am

I got all of my musical knowledge from MTV in the early -mid 90's.

I refuse to watch it now ,and I watch VH1 Classic.

Same here!!

Written By: nally on 03/19/07 at 11:20 am

In the mid '90's, MTV would have something like "It Came From the '80's", heck now there's hardly anything of the '90's

Then again, not much of anything music related  ::)

Which is why it really stands for "Moronic TV" now ::)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/22/07 at 2:36 pm

I think the decline started when they began airing stuff like "Remote Control", et. al.  I told my daughter it should be called "Everything BUT Music TV"  For a while I thought MTV2 was going to do what MTV originally set out to do, but I don't know that they show any more videos than MTV, do they?  Now it seems like the only thing on are these ridiculous dating shows like Parental Control, Next, and I (Don't) Love New York....not sure how they can call these reality shows, but then I feel the same way about the whole genre.

Written By: woops on 04/04/09 at 1:55 pm

MTV recently decided to air videos again, though during the dusk hours. Several older videos from the 1980's & 1990's have appeared.

Kinda remind me of '90's VH1, which they'd mix current videos with classics in their playlists.

How long will it last? I'll give it about three months.

Written By: joeman on 04/04/09 at 6:20 pm

MTV recently decided to air videos again, though during the dusk hours. Several older videos from the 1980's & 1990's have appeared.

Kinda remind me of '90's VH1, which they'd mix current videos with classics in their playlists.

How long will it last? I'll give it about three months.

I watched MTV for the first time since 2002, and your right, they did air videos for a second.  It was some crappy emo band then after that a program called the "Hills" was on.  MTV is targeting the rich teen audience but will soon fall as we go deep in the recession.

Written By: mm117 on 04/05/09 at 6:09 pm

It seems insane that you have to go to MTV2 or some other offshoot of the network to actually see music videos. MTV proper is all scripted reality shows now

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/09 at 10:51 am

What happened to Mtv?

Someone took a sh*t on it!  ;D

Written By: popguru85 on 04/06/09 at 11:31 am

i find it a bit ironic that a spinoff channel like vh1 classic is 1,000,000 times better that the actual channel.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 6:25 pm

I know we've talked about MTV and VH1 (and other networks) going downhill on here alot, but I had another thought right now...

I bet the very reason alot of the reality/lifestyle shows are popular now is because it's what people are used to seeing, so that's how it picked up its fanbase. But since they're slipping some classic videos in there, chances are a few people will like that too, and that could increase their popularity just by people getting an opportunity to see it. That's kinda how YouTube seems to be in terms of 80s and 90s videos.

It's all about what you're familar with and exposed to...that's usually what you like the most.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/18/09 at 3:54 am

All the video stations I have on cable are:

MTV (sort of)
VH1 (again, sort of)
MTV2 (yet again, sort of)
MTV Hits
VH1 Classic
CMT Pure Country
VH1 Soul
MTV Jams (USED TO BE MTV X  >:( )
Fuse

I think they should change MTV Hits to MTV X and MTV should be a lot more like MTV Hits.

VH1 should be for classic and softer videos like it was meant to be.  Now it's all TRASH.

Written By: SoulAsylum on 04/18/09 at 8:51 am

I've always been sort of a strange person and as a result I have done a lot of strange things in my life.

A friend and I doing a study in the summer of my sophomore year of high school (Summer of 2002!)  Watched MTV for 24 hours straight!  (Don't get me wrong, we didn't sit infront of the TV for 24 hours.  If a 2 hour show came on we'd go and do something else).  Out of that 24 hours only 3 hours were spent showing music videos, discussing music or something Music related.    22-23-24, that's it.  Just three hours.

Granted it was a Wednesday, and maybe their programming is different on Wednesdays.

However out of that three hours it was mostly rap and hip hop, with very little rock and very little alternative.

The other 21 hours were simply Beavis and Butthead, The Real World, and other irrelevant to Music shows. 

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/17/09 at 7:46 pm

It is MySpaceTV in my opinion. 

Written By: nally on 06/17/09 at 7:49 pm

The other 21 hours were simply Beavis and Butthead, The Real World, and other irrelevant to Music shows. 

...which IMHO belong on ANOTHER channel (or at least they should have in their heyday, lol). ::)

Written By: sonikuu on 06/25/09 at 2:37 pm

I know we've talked about MTV and VH1 (and other networks) going downhill on here alot, but I had another thought right now...

I bet the very reason alot of the reality/lifestyle shows are popular now is because it's what people are used to seeing, so that's how it picked up its fanbase. But since they're slipping some classic videos in there, chances are a few people will like that too, and that could increase their popularity just by people getting an opportunity to see it. That's kinda how YouTube seems to be in terms of 80s and 90s videos.

It's all about what you're familar with and exposed to...that's usually what you like the most.

That is sadly true.  Honestly, the last thing we need in a recession are shows targetting rich teens (see "Teen Cribs") or rappers flashing money talking about how rich they are.  Dear god, I don't know how a country with unemployment nearing 10% can eat this crap up.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/09 at 10:42 pm

Yeah, what the hell has happened to MTV?

Just this weekend I saw them playing music videos!

Written By: 90steen on 06/29/09 at 8:43 pm

I never watched MTV for the music. I watched it for the Beavis & Butthead and the Daria.

Written By: nally on 06/30/09 at 2:31 pm

Yeah, what the hell has happened to MTV?

Just this weekend I saw them playing music videos!

Probably to pay tribute to some music icon who recently checked out...

Written By: Starde on 07/21/09 at 3:18 pm

Probably to pay tribute to some music icon who recently checked out...

Too bad right after that they had to go back to their sh*tty ways. 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/09 at 6:21 pm

That is sadly true.  Honestly, the last thing we need in a recession are shows targetting rich teens (see "Teen Cribs") or rappers flashing money talking about how rich they are.  Dear god, I don't know how a country with unemployment nearing 10% can eat this crap up.

Aside from having no entertainment value (to me and probably alot of us all here), that materialistic stuff actually seems pretty dated since the recession too. Alot of people must like it in secret, otherwise it wouldn't be profitable. Ironically I get the impression it's college aged people who watch that stuff (maybe in the 17-25 range) as opposed to high and middle school kids.

I never watched MTV for the music. I watched it for the Beavis & Butthead and the Daria.

Same here, I got really into Beavis and Butthead towards the end of its run (soon as I saw the movie). It's funny and great social commentary even if they're dumb*sses. ;D I mostly watched VH1 for music. Come to think of it, I only watched MTV sporadically for music or when they did those all time greatest video countdowns, in the late '90s they still did that.

Written By: 90steen on 07/23/09 at 8:05 pm

Same here, I got really into Beavis and Butthead towards the end of its run (soon as I saw the movie). It's funny and great social commentary even if they're dumb*sses. ;D I mostly watched VH1 for music. Come to think of it, I only watched MTV sporadically for music or when they did those all time greatest video countdowns, in the late '90s they still did that.

I used to have a coupel of Beavis and Butthead shirts. The ones with the smart comments on them. But my younger brother had a lot more.

Written By: nally on 07/24/09 at 12:25 am

Too bad right after that they had to go back to their sh*tty ways. 8-P

Yep. MJ's death thingy wore off, now it's back to being Moronic TV. ::) 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/09 at 7:44 pm

I used to have a coupel of Beavis and Butthead shirts. The ones with the smart comments on them. But my younger brother had a lot more.

Nice, I actually still have a poster in my apartment from the late 90s, never had any shirts though.

Speaking of MJ, I'm actually surprised (in a good way) the original MTV actually paid a tribute to him. For the most part they seemed to stop caring about their roots by the mid 00s.

Written By: woops on 07/29/09 at 3:35 pm

Mornic TV only airs about 6 hours of videos during the weekdays...

If MTV were to go back into music videos, it'll probably be like current Fuse

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/31/09 at 8:28 am

MTV.com still has an active music section and posts new videos by even classic artists plus you can watch many of their old videos. Then again, teens feel that waiting for your favorite artist to air their video nowadays is so yesteryear and that they prefer to view it on-demand online. Many high-end flat screen TVs offer computer/online access as well, which means that as online video technology improves, the need for waiting for music is basically a thing of the past. I think that traditional TV will die around 2020 and will be replaced by online streams.

Written By: Starde on 06/30/10 at 2:14 pm

MTV has honestly been a joke since the early 2000s. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/10 at 11:36 pm

Gunter Hampel Group: Heroicredolphysiognomystery

Written By: 90sslapbracelet on 09/06/10 at 8:46 am

lol mtv. The only things i see on mtv are my sweet sixteen, made, pimp my ride and all that other reallity crap.
RIP MTV.

Written By: tnf on 09/06/10 at 10:28 pm

Mornic TV only airs about 6 hours of videos during the weekdays...

If MTV were to go back into music videos, it'll probably be like current Fuse

Hmmm... 'our' Dutch version of MTV seems identical now to versions in the rest of the world. I knew already the leaders etc. were the same (while they had their own identity till a couple of years ago, was also a lot more inventive). The only distinguishing aspect of our current version is the use of a Dutch speaking voice-over between the shows. The station feels like cold corporate stuff now.

I want my good old MTV Europe (or the acceptable half Dutch version from about 2000) back.  >:(

There is a specific clip station in The Netherlands, called TMF (taken over by MTV some years ago, btw, same goes for another formerly Dutch clip station even not existing anymore, MTV decided to change it into Comedy Central...), but they stopped playing videos in the morning. It's been replaced by cartoons.  >:(

Don't we have Nickelodeon and Disney Channel for stuff like that? Or Comedy Central?

Check for new replies or respond here...