inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need your help guys

Written By: Derek on 03/04/07 at 8:34 pm

I'm going to list songs and approximately the time they first got played on the radio.  I've read different years for different songs, so if you could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

"Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows- Feburary '94 is when I recall first hearing it.  I've read '93 as year of release.

"Kiss From A Rose" by Seal- June '95.  I saw '92.

"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow- September-October '94.  I heard June '93.

"Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots- April '93.  I saw a December '92 listing.

"Jump Around"by House of Pain- September '92.  I heard '93.

"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors- January '93.  I heard '92.

"Another Night" by Real McCoy- October '94.  I heard Feburary-March '95.

"Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by PM Dawn- October '91.  I heard January '92.

"Just Another Day" by Jon Secada- May '92.  I heard August.

"Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers- Febuary '92.  I heard May.

Subject: Re: I need your help guys

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/07 at 8:39 pm

I'm going to list songs and approximately the time they first got played on the radio.  I've read different years for different songs, so if you could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

"Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows- Feburary '94 is when I recall first hearing it.  I've read '93 as year of release.

"Kiss From A Rose" by Seal- June 1995.  I saw 1992.

"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow- September-October '94.  I heard June '93.

"Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots- April '93.  I saw a December '92 listing.

"Jump Around"by House of Pain- September '92.  I heard '93.

"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors- January '93.  I heard '92.

"Another Night" by Real McCoy- October '94.  I heard Feburary-March '95.

"Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by PM Dawn- October '91.  I heard January '92.

"Just Another Day" by Jon Secada- May '92.  I heard August.

"Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers- Febuary '92.  I heard May.

Most of those seem right to me, especially if I remembered what I was doing at the time, to base it off of.

Some of them, like "All I Wanna Do" didn't immediately take off as singles. I think the album was 1993, but I first heard that one in late '94.

"Kiss From a Rose" was definitely early-mid 1995. I think "Just Another Day" was in the first half of '92 as well. May sounds more like it than August. "Under the Bridge" was early '92 as well.

The others I can't say for sure, but those dates sound accurate.

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/07 at 8:55 pm

The original version of "Another Night" by MC Sar and the Real McCoy (as they were then called) was a German hit in mid-1993

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in Canada, it was a #1 Dance Hit in March of 1994, peaking in the Mainstream around May.  According to the internet, it entered the US chart on July 27, 1994

Written By: Derek on 03/04/07 at 9:14 pm

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in Canada, it was a #1 Dance Hit in March of 1994, peaking in the Mainstream around May.  According to the internet, it entered the US chart on July 27, 1994

I don't recall hearing it in the summer.  The first time I recall hearing it was in the early fall.  I believe it was right before Halloween.  I appreciate your help guys.  I knew approximately when they came out, but couldn't remember exactly when.  If anyone knows for certain the other songs, that would be great.

Written By: nally on 03/04/07 at 9:23 pm

The original version of "Another Night" by MC Sar and the Real McCoy (as they were then called) was a German hit in mid-1993

I remember hearing it ("Another Night") for the first time around September of '94, right around the time I started high school.

Most of those seem right to me, especially if I remembered what I was doing at the time, to base it off of.

Some of them, like "All I Wanna Do" didn't immediately take off as singles. I think the album was 1993, but I first heard that one in late '94.

Yeah, it was around the summer of '94 for me too. In fact, I think that's when it entered the U.S. charts (July/August). I think most people would tend to associate "All I Wanna Do" with 1994. And if the Ellipsis guy wants to contradict me, he's gonna have to sign up as a member.

Written By: holicman on 03/06/07 at 7:07 am

I thought Under the bridge was 1990 ??

I could be mistaken though.

Mr Jones was definitely 1994, the same year as Creep by Radiohead and Helping Hand by the Screaming Jets :)

Written By: nally on 03/06/07 at 10:19 am

I thought Under the bridge was 1990 ??

I could be mistaken though.

No...I believe that one was recorded in 1991, and released as a single in early 1992.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 11:03 am

Here is a list of chart entry dates for North America.  I couldn't find US Entry dates for two of the songs ...

Artist Counting Crows Seal Sheryl Crow Stone Temple Pilots House of Pain Spin Doctors Real McCoy PM Dawn Jon Secada Red Hot Chili Peppers

Song Title Mr. Jones Kiss From A Rose All I Wanna Do Plush Jump Around Two Princes Another Night Set Adrfit on Memory Bliss Just Another Day Under the Bridge

United States ?? ?? ?? June 24, 1995 August 6, 1994 ?? ?? ?? June 27, 1992 January 30, 1993 August 27, 1994 October 19, 1991 April 18, 1992 April 4, 1992

Canada January 10, 1994 June 24, 1995 August 1, 1994 August 7, 1993 October 3, 1992 January 30, 1993 May 9, 1994 October 26, 1991 May 16, 1992 April 25, 1992

Written By: nally on 03/06/07 at 11:06 am

Well... "Mr. Jones" and "Plush" were hits on the Hot One Hundred Airplay charts, as they were unavailable as commercial singles in the US. "Plush", I believe, was summer of 1993, and "Mr. Jones" in early 1994. So, roughly around the same time as in Canada. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 11:10 am

Well... "Mr. Jones" and "Plush" were hits on the Hot One Hundred Airplay charts, as they were unavailable as commercial singles in the US. "Plush", I believe, was summer of 1993, and "Mr. Jones" in early 1994. So, roughly around the same time as in Canada. ;)

That would explain why I didn't see them in the singles chart lol

Written By: nally on 03/06/07 at 11:11 am

That would explain why I didn't see them in the singles chart lol

Yeah...it wasn't until late 1998 when "album cuts" became eligible for the regular Hot One Hundred Singles charts.

For the record, I think both of those songs did fairly well on the Airplay charts...and they were both big hits on the Modern Rock charts.

Written By: nothingbut90s on 03/06/07 at 7:29 pm

Yes,those were all 90s tunes without a doubt. Mc Sar and Real Mc coy had other hits called " Be my lover" and "Runnaway" Great dance act. Played a double play on my show on Today FM a few weeks ago.

http://nothingbutnineties.bebo.com

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 8:23 pm

Yes,those were all 90s tunes without a doubt. Mc Sar and Real Mc coy had other hits called " Be my lover" and "Runnaway" Great dance act. Played a double play on my show on Today FM a few weeks ago.

http://nothingbutnineties.bebo.com

Be My Lover was by La Bouche :)
(MC Sar and) the Real McCoy did Automatic Lover

Check for new replies or respond here...