inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Real Stories Of The Highway Patrol

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/06/07 at 9:04 pm

This was one of my favorite of all those cop shows at the time (it aired from 1993-'96 I believe). Did anyone else watch it?

Basically they'd air usually 4 stories. 3 would be in the style of COPS in that it was live footage of calls they went on. The last one would be a somewhat more instense/dramatic recreation of a more serious crime (i.e. high-speed chase, domestic disturbance, robbery) with narration.

One thing about it I always thought was superior to COPS was that it had little aftermaths on what happened to the suspects/victims, and seemed a little more exciting. I still have lots of these on tape, but I often only recorded the recreation one. I now wish I'd done the full episodes since it's not on TV anymore.

Subject: Re: Real Stories Of The Highway Patrol

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 9:09 pm

I remember this show yes.  I liked that Maury Hannigan guy.  He was a real police chief if I remember

Another good real life cop show was that one hosted by the white haired cop.  The name escapes me though

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/06/07 at 9:12 pm

I remember this show yes.  I liked that Maury Hannigan guy.  He was a real police chief if I remember

Another good real life cop show was that one hosted by the white haired cop.  The name escapes me though

Yeah, Hannigan was the commisioner of the CHP and a good host. I liked his catchphrase, "What you're about to see is real", lol.

Another one I liked that was all-recreations, was Top Cops. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 9:52 pm

Yeah, Hannigan was the commisioner of the CHP and a good host. I liked his catchphrase, "What you're about to see is real", lol.

Another one I liked that was all-recreations, was Top Cops. Is that the one you're thinking of?

I remember Top Cops.  It wasn't that one, but it was also a good show yes!

It just came to me.  The show was "World's Wildest Police Videos" and was hosted by Sheriff John Bunnell

http://uk.geocities.com/johnbunnelluk/images/jb.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/06/07 at 11:02 pm

I remember Top Cops.  It wasn't that one, but it was also a good show yes!

It just came to me.  The show was "World's Wildest Police Videos" and was hosted by Sheriff John Bunnell

http://uk.geocities.com/johnbunnelluk/images/jb.jpg

Yeah, he's a good narrator. I just hope that's not his normal speaking voice at home, though. ;D

I guess all the World's Wildest/Scariest... shows are like the newest police reality shows around. Although they originated in the late '90s, they rerun them all the time on various channels.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/07 at 11:28 pm

Yeah, he's a good narrator. I just hope that's not his normal speaking voice at home, though. ;D

I guess all the World's Wildest/Scariest... shows are like the newest police reality shows around. Although they originated in the late '90s, they rerun them all the time on various channels.

He does have a good voice yes.  If you ever saw the movie 'Bad Santa', he has a cameo role as one of the cops in the Dept. store scene at the end

They do still air in re-runs yes, though lately the only time I ever see them is when rain delays postpone Braves baseball games on TBS

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/10/07 at 12:31 am

I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of John Bunnell or "World's Wildest Police Videos."

a.) John Bunnell looks like he spends all his free time in the tanning booth.

b.) I hate how, whenever John Bunnell is seguing into the next video, there's a bunch of actors dressed as cops and bad guys in the background, as if we're supposed to believe that he's actually in front of a real crime scene.

c.) I hate how, whenever they show a video of a high-speed chase, they add all these phony sound effects to the video (and sometimes they speed up the footage as well) to try and make it more dramatic.

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/07 at 12:46 am

b.) I hate how, whenever John Bunnell is seguing into the next video, there's a bunch of actors dressed as cops and bad guys in the background, as if we're supposed to believe that he's actually in front of a real crime scene.

It does look so fake yes lol

Check for new replies or respond here...