inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were Wilson Philips a precursor to '90s AC?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/16/07 at 7:36 am

I used to automatically classify them as a late '80s-esque band, but I've sorta changed my mind after thinking about it a bit. I think they share more in common with the introspective female Lilith Fair-esque singer-songwriters or, say Amanda Marshall or other early-mid '90s AC than they do with synthpop. The only thing really tying their music to the Eighties is the layered, keyboard production sound and a sorta "innocent" feel, but the big picture was '90s. Even their videos were more basic and stripped-down.

While 1990 was closer to 1987 than to 1993 in most respects of pop culture, they were more a sign of what was to come, even if they weren't around for long themselves.

Subject: Re: Were Wilson Philips a precursor to '90s AC?

Written By: robby76 on 03/16/07 at 9:45 am

Wilson Phillips were one of the defining acts of 1990 as a year for me. Hold On was the big summer hit and what a memorable summer that was. I'd say WP were just that - early 90s contemporary music. I always think of them as the female version of Michael Bolton - that sort of music.

Their superior 2nd album "Shadows & Light" remains in my top 50 albums of all time!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/07 at 10:27 am

I always associate them and their music with the very early 90's.

Written By: robby76 on 03/16/07 at 10:56 am

What does AC stand for?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/16/07 at 10:58 am

What does AC stand for?

I think he's using it to mean adult contemporary music but I wouldn't swear to that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/07 at 5:15 pm

I'm actually watching "Hold On" now...and I agree with your assessment that it's a precursor to '90s AC. Something about "nature imagery" is very '90s and the video (beaches, mountains) nails that on the head, along with the evocation of a more nature-centered lifestyle in fashion and pop culture in general. The layered keyboard production that you mentioned and vocal style are more akin to the late '80s, though, along with that trademark one-off electric guitar riff towards the end of "Hold On" that just SCREAMS late 1986-mid 1991.

Was it you who said every decade seems to have an A/C performer or two at its beginning who has one huge album and a big single or two then disappears?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/16/07 at 11:05 pm

I'm actually watching "Hold On" now...and I agree with your assessment that it's a precursor to '90s AC. Something about "nature imagery" is very '90s and the video (beaches, mountains) nails that on the head, along with the evocation of a more nature-centered lifestyle in fashion and pop culture in general. The layered keyboard production that you mentioned and vocal style are more akin to the late '80s, though, along with that trademark one-off electric guitar riff towards the end of "Hold On" that just SCREAMS late 1986-mid 1991.

Was it you who said every decade seems to have an A/C performer or two at its beginning who has one huge album and a big single or two then disappears?

Yeah, I thought about that too - the power balladesque, soft rock guitar solo is very late '80s. All their hit singles have it too.

As for the comment: I can't remember now, lol, although I may have said that. It makes sense. Christopher Cross was the Wilson Philips of 1980, albeit in a reverse way. He had a very '70s singer songwriter imagery with hints of the highly produced keyboard sound. Maybe those two artists were actually the bookends for the Eighties AC style?

I do remember in interviews from the time, that people were talking about them as something new. I think it was something (for 1990) "modern" that used a few familar sounds.

Written By: tv on 03/17/07 at 5:58 pm

Yeah, I thought about that too - the power balladesque, soft rock guitar solo is very late '80s. All their hit singles have it too.

As for the comment: I can't remember now, lol, although I may have said that. It makes sense. Christopher Cross was the Wilson Philips of 1980, albeit in a reverse way. He had a very '70s singer songwriter imagery with hints of the highly produced keyboard sound. Maybe those two artists were actually the bookends for the Eighties AC style?

I think Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, or Maroon 5 could be the 00's version of 80's Christopher Cross or 90's Wilson Philips. I mean Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch didn;t sound like 2003 at all or like 2000 either. Maroon 5  of 2003 didn;t sound like 2005 at all but they didn;t sound 2001 either. All three artists did gave us a precursor to what was coming with the A/C pop sound like an artist like James Blunt ir Gavin DeGraw, or even a 2006 a/c pop influenced Nick Lachey.

I ciuld have bunched an artist like the Norah Jones of 2002 in with the Maroon 5, Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch but Norah Jones is still selling alot of records while those 3 artists haven;t done anything since 2004 like Maroon 5 or 2002 I think with Michelle Branch. Maybe Vanessa Carlton had a hit in 2003 I don;t know though but she was mostly a 2002 artist as I recall I think..

Written By: Brian06 on 03/17/07 at 6:42 pm

I think Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, or Maroon 5 could be the 00's version of 80's Christopher Cross or 90's Wilson Philips. I mean Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch didn;t sound like 2003 at all or like 2000 either. Maroon 5  of 2003 didn;t sound like 2005 at all but they didn;t sound 2001 either. All three artists did gave us a precursor to what was coming with the A/C pop sound like an artist like James Blunt ir Gavin DeGraw, or even a 2006 a/c pop influenced Nick Lachey.

I ciuld have bunched an artist like the Norah Jones of 2002 in with the Maroon 5, Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch but Norah Jones is still selling alot of records while those 3 artists haven;t done anything since 2004 like Maroon 5 or 2002 I think with Michelle Branch. Maybe Vanessa Carlton had a hit in 2003 I don;t know though but she was mostly a 2002 artist as I recall I think..

Maroon 5 is just in between albums, they'll be back this year I believe. It's common nowadays to take 3-4 years before coming out with a new album it seems.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/18/07 at 1:33 am

Michelle Branch is half of successful duo The Wreckers who had a hit with "Leave the Pieces." Branch was also featured on Santana's "I'm Feeling You," which I remember hearing on the radio fairly often despite it not charting particularly well.

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/07 at 4:04 pm

Just for the heck of it, here's all the hits Wilson Philips had in their heyday before originally splitting up ...

Wilson Phillips (1990)
1990 - Hold On
1990 - Release Me
1990 - Impulsive
1991 - You're in Love
1991 - The Dream is Still Alive

Two Rooms - Celebrating the Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin (1991)
1992 - Daniel

Shadows and Light (1992)
1992 - You Won't See Me Cry
1992 - Give it Up
1993 - Flesh and Blood

Written By: Satish on 03/18/07 at 7:03 pm

Well, I think Wilson Philips is far more of an 80s group. They're a perfect example of how 1990 was more like the 80s than the 90s. Everytime I listen to "Hold On" or watch the video for it, the sound of the song, the clothes they're wearing and the imagery in the video all scream late 80s. I always lump Wilson Philips in with the bouncy female pop singers of the late 80s like Belinda Carlisle, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and Roxette.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/07 at 7:12 pm

Well, I think Wilson Philips is far more of an 80s group. They're a perfect example of how 1990 was more like the 80s than the 90s. Everytime I listen to "Hold On" or watch the video for it, the sound of the song, the clothes they're wearing and the imagery in the video all scream late 80s. I always lump Wilson Philips in with the bouncy female pop singers of the late 80s like Belinda Carlisle, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and Roxette.

Actually, that's sorta true too. In terms of sound, I think they can fit in with their contemporaries of 1988, but not 1984.

Yeah, Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton were touted as the "next big thing" in 2002. I'd agree they were the early '00s AC superstars. Maroon 5 is kinda on the fence with AC and pop/rock, but they're multigenred - I even heard people comparing them to Stevie Wonder and I kinda vaguely see what they mean.

I guess Norah Jones was like the Sade of the '00s (albeit not as pop), or an updated version of quiet storn-type R&B.

Written By: robby76 on 03/18/07 at 8:12 pm

Shadows and Light (1992)
1992 - You Won't See Me Cry
1992 - Give it Up
1993 - Flesh and Blood

Gotta love Canada! Fine taste!

Written By: woops on 03/18/07 at 9:01 pm

Deborah Gibson's later material is more A/C like her 1995 album "Think With Your Heart", which was mostly ballads, and "Deborah" wich is more soft rock and A/C pop.

If radio & VH1 gave her a chance, she could kick the annoying  Celine Dion off the charts

Written By: woops on 03/18/07 at 9:03 pm

Speaking of Wilson Phillips, Chyna Phillips co-wrote "The One" on Deb's "MYOB" album

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/25/07 at 6:47 pm

The problem with optimists is that they're never really have a good idea of what they're gonna get after they "hold on for one more day".

1990 saw me working in an office that had a radio tuned to a top-40 AM station.  I was subjected to "Hold On" and its contemporaries 3-4 times a day.  To this day, I still find myself slipping tracks like "Hold On" into my playlists... only to cut them off midway through the chorus with sampled explosions/gunfire, and jumping into tracks like Hanzel und Gretyl's "SS Deathstar Supergalactik" or Ice-T's "Body Count's In The House".  Is that wrong?  Should I not do that?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/07 at 2:23 pm

Deborah Gibson's later material is more A/C like her 1995 album "Think With Your Heart", which was mostly ballads, and "Deborah" wich is more soft rock and A/C pop.

If radio & VH1 gave her a chance, she could kick the annoying  Celine Dion off the charts

Are you posting from 1997, dude? ;D Celine has been off the charts for several years now. As for Deb...I've given up attempting to have an intelligent conversation with you, lol.

Another observation about WP I noticed is...they never did any full-fledged upbeat songs on their debut. If there was one, I'd be inclined to say they had more 1986-1990esque credit. The '90s was very heavy on ballads with introspection, especially from female singers. Basically, say "You're In Love" sounds like '80s instrumentation layed over what's a '90s song at its core.

Written By: nally on 03/26/07 at 2:25 pm

Are you posting from 1997, dude? ;D Celine has been off the charts for several years now. As for Deb...I've given up attempting to have an intelligent conversation with you, lol.

You're right...the last time she had a single in the U.S. was in 2002 ("A New Day Has Come"); I think she's been taking a break from recording since then. :-\\

Written By: woops on 03/26/07 at 2:33 pm

... I mean in the 1990's which Celine was everywhere  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...