inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s V.S. 00s cartoons

Written By: GameDude2008 on 04/01/07 at 1:05 pm

Which do you feel were "the days" for animation, the 90s or the 00s, and why do you feel so. I personally love the 90s cartoons, partly because it was the time of my childhood and mainly because cartoons then were well thought out, and creative. Too many cartoons today feel as if they were put together overnight and rushed to be brodcasted--this is just my oppinion; what is yours?
Note: I also liked the early 00s cartoon, because they were all new seasons of shows from the 90s, but it seems that after 9/11 everything began to change.

Subject: Re: 90s V.S. 00s cartoons

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/07 at 6:07 pm

I've always preferred '90s cartoons. There are very few of todays that i actually like. Of course I grew up in the '90s so I'm sort of biased.

Written By: Haynsoul on 04/06/07 at 7:40 pm

Traditional animation got completed replaced with CGI. At first it looked cool but now it's overused and annoying (I want to rip out my hair everytime another Disney movie comes out). 90's cartoons are way better than it is now. We had the Nicktoons from the early-mid 90's (Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, etc.), the "Golden Age" of Disney (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King etc.), some of Cartoon Network (Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls).

What does the 00's have? Spongebob?

Written By: woops on 04/07/07 at 8:42 pm

The 1990's was a great era for animation and the fact it became appealing to a wide range of audience again rather than  being "kids stuff"

Though the best era of animation, IMHO, is the 1940's  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/13/07 at 3:27 pm

1989-mid 1998 - basically from the premiere of The Simpsons through the time it started going downhill and losing its innovation. I consider Beavis and Butthead to be a milestone of animated '90s shows too. Although inherintly juvenile and stupid on the surface, it actually did have somewhat of a message in a weird way, and was more intelligent than you'd think (well, in order to accurately portray them as dumb, it would have to be, lol).

Also, I think South Park (while inspired by B&B-esque shows somewhat) sorta killed the old-school animation era. That, and Spongebob for the more kid-oriented shows. I liked alot of the early-mid '90s kids' animated movies/shows, even if I felt too old to admit it at the time.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/13/07 at 3:49 pm

Preference more towards 90s than 00s myself.

Written By: 90skid555 on 04/26/07 at 7:48 am

I totally think that 90s cartoons are better then todays stuff

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/26/07 at 8:52 pm

Because it's extremely simple and I'm too tired to make a long description, '90s cartoons were definately better!

Written By: Hiratsu on 04/30/07 at 2:54 pm

I'm probably only saying this because I grew up watching the 90's cartoons, but the current stuff just doesn't stack up.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 11:26 pm

I'm probably only saying this because I grew up watching the 90's cartoons, but the current stuff just doesn't stack up.

You're not the only one, dude. I'm sure most people on here would preferentialize the '90s over the '00s (although every decade has its good points too).

Written By: Lisa on 01/04/10 at 11:23 am

I think the 90's cartoons were way better than they are now.  I don't think they are very educational now days and they are very stupid.  when we woke up on saturday morning we could sit and watch cartoons all day till noon.  now the kids have nothing to look forward to on saturday mornings.  All they can do is get up and play a game or get on computer.  how fun is that.  if they had cartoons to watch I think they would sit and watch them.

Written By: joeman on 01/04/10 at 11:45 am

I don't you can compare the two decades because of the two demographics.  A year ago, my roomates cousin, born in 1997, didn't like any 90's cartoons that were on the computer except the Simpsons.  She watches a lot of Adult Swim episodes and such.  It's like comparing the 90's cartoons vs 80's cartoons, can't be compared imo.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/04/10 at 3:32 pm

Which do you feel were "the days" for animation, the 90s or the 00s, and why do you feel so. I personally love the 90s cartoons, partly because it was the time of my childhood and mainly because cartoons then were well thought out, and creative. Too many cartoons today feel as if they were put together overnight and rushed to be brodcasted--this is just my oppinion; what is yours?
Note: I also liked the early 00s cartoon, because they were all new seasons of shows from the 90s, but it seems that after 9/11 everything began to change.

Yeah, it seemed after 2001...everything changed when it came to the media. Mostly sell-outs!

But I wish that there would be another cartoon station for Nickelodeon like "Nick Rewind", Cartoon Network for "Cartoon Cartoons Channel", and Disney with a "Vault Disney Channel".

Written By: Jaua on 12/30/10 at 12:30 pm

fudge U ALL FOR HATING THE 00'S!!!!
U JUST HATE EM BC IN 90'S WERE THE TIME U GREW UP
BUT IF U WER GROWNIN UP THE 00'S U WOULD LIKE THEM!
U JUST HATIN EM CUZ 9/11
fudge U FOR DAT!!!
THERS LOTS FO GOOD SHOWS LKE FAMILY GUYS ROBOT CHICKEN SOUTH PARK SPONGEBOB MAD AND STUFF!!!!!
fudge U ALLL
IM OFFENDED OF DESE TEENAGERS 2DAY!!!!

Written By: Shiv on 12/30/10 at 8:49 pm

90s cartoons, definitely. The animation creativity during that decade will probably never be matched again. You can tell that time and effort were put into them. 00s ones are thrown-together, cheap CGI sheesh.

If you saw my post on CGI, you'll know what my opinion is. I like certain well-done CGI movies, but its starting to get WAY overdone. Call me old fashioned but hand-drawn animation just has a distinct beauty that CG lacks. I really miss it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/10 at 9:08 am

U JUST HATIN EM CUZ 9/11
fudge U FOR DAT!!!
THERS LOTS FO GOOD SHOWS LKE FAMILY GUYS ROBOT CHICKEN SOUTH PARK SPONGEBOB MAD AND STUFF!!!!!
fudge U ALLL

Look, Punk...

Yes, we DID grow-up during the 90's and most cartoons were hand-drawn. Yes, there ARE good cartoons for the 00's, but it's for people who watched Cartoons during the 90's. I'll watch a few 00's cartoons such as Robot Chicken, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad! But with cartoons in the 00's rather than in the 90's, kids won't get the 90's cartoons like "Animaniacs" because they have a lot of aim toward people who grew-up in the 90's because of the pop culture of the time. And the older people got some of the jokes on "Animaniacs" because The Warners had similarities to The Marx Brothers, Pinky and the Brain had a lot of similarities to Orson Welles, The Goodfeathers had a lot of similarities to the movie The Goodfellas and The Godfather, and Rita and Runt was a cartoon version of Rain Man!

But also in the 90's you did have sheesh (Capitol Critters, Family Dog, Fish Police) and cartoons of the 00's don't have that pop culture prior to 2000, unless you watch an adult cartoon! Because no one would get the joke...NO ONE! There's just a gap now for the middle, and look at the cartoons of the 50's and 60's...sure they're sheesh, but grown-ups actually watched the simple Hanna-Barbera cartoons (One guy who pwned a bar even said he shouldn't be disturbed when Huckleberry Hound was on) and Looney Tunes WEREN'T aimed toward children.

So fudge you...get your facts straight before getting defensive!

MrC

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/10 at 9:36 am

U JUST HATIN EM CUZ 9/11
fudge U FOR DAT!!!
fudge U ALLL

Most 00s cartoons are crap, garbage, not worthy of anyone's eyes staring at them because it's a good way to go blind.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/31/10 at 12:00 pm

The late '30s-early '60s however were the real "golden age" of cartoons. Many of these are still on certain classic TV stations, in certain DVD sets, and are the real "gold standard". The late '80s and '90s are more the "silver age". Unfortunately with the overdependance of CGI, that means a lack of new animators known to hand-draw stuff; without new talent to replace them, hand-drawn cartoons are well on their way to becoming a lost art. 

Written By: Shiv on 12/31/10 at 2:08 pm

The late '30s-early '60s however were the real "golden age" of cartoons. Many of these are still on certain classic TV stations, in certain DVD sets, and are the real "gold standard". The late '80s and '90s are more the "silver age". Unfortunately with the overdependance of CGI, that means a lack of new animators known to hand-draw stuff; without new talent to replace them, hand-drawn cartoons are well on their way to becoming a lost art.  

I wanted to become a hand-draw animator  :) I didn't persue a career in it though for obvious reasons

And I disagree. There will always be animators capable of hand-drawn animation. The majority of CGI animators also have knowledge in hand-drawn animation...Iin fact many of them are ex-hand draw animators who switched to keep their jobs.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/31/10 at 11:45 pm

I'd say the transitional period between the 90s and 00s(1996-2003) had the best cartoons. Sponge Bob, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Catdog, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd and Eddy, and whole lot of them I am forgetting.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/11 at 10:54 pm

The Pinky and the Brain, the Pinky and the Brain, one is a genius, the other insane, they're laboratory mice,......  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/01/11 at 11:16 pm

The Pinky and the Brain, the Pinky and the Brain, one is a genius, the other insane, they're laboratory mice,......  ;D

Their genes have been spl-hey, wait a minute.  That earworm's going to be in my brain all night.

"Silence, 80sfan, or I shall have to fudge you."

(Brain, brain, brain, brain, brain!)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/11 at 12:46 am

Their genes have been spl-hey, wait a minute.  That earworm's going to be in my brain all night.

"Silence, 80sfan, or I shall have to fudge you."

(Brain, brain, brain, brain, brain!)

The only way to get a song out of your head is to hear it again or to hear other songs.  :(

Written By: mooster on 01/02/11 at 1:58 am

The only way to get a song out of your head is to hear it again or to hear other songs.  :(

I've heard "The Happy Wanderer" will get any song out of your head - I've never tried it so don't quote me  ;)

Written By: Creeder on 01/03/11 at 12:48 pm

90's Cartoon Network ftw

Written By: Starde on 01/03/11 at 2:04 pm

In my opinion, 90's Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel > 00's Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel. I mean, Jesus Christ, Cartoon Network shows live action/reality TV shows now! 8-P However, I will admit I liked some of the new cartoons that did come out in the early/mid 00's (2000-2003), but they still kinda had that 90's influence to them.

Written By: Wobo on 05/28/18 at 2:37 pm

What do you guys think of '10s cartoons?  ::)

Written By: wixness on 05/28/18 at 4:19 pm

I think 2000s cartoons had more memorable shows that were action shows. 90s shows had more memorable cartoons that weren't action shows.

Written By: Dundee on 05/29/18 at 4:11 am

Lmao @ this thread, look at these grumpy grandpas from the late 2000s and their superioty complex ;D

90s kids = the worst

Written By: mqg96 on 05/29/18 at 7:58 am

What do you guys think of '10s cartoons?  ::)

Why would you bump an old thread to go off topic like that?  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/29/18 at 8:48 am

Lmao @ this thread, look at these grumpy grandpas from the late 2000s and their superioty complex ;D

90s kids = the worst

lol. It's sad that you feel that way.

Oh well.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/29/18 at 9:35 am

lol. It's sad that you feel that way.

Oh well.

It's not even that bad in this thread lol. I don't even see 99% of these responses as hate. They just prefer 90s cartoons, which is their right.

Written By: Wobo on 05/29/18 at 2:00 pm

Why would you bump an old thread to go off topic like that?  ???

Because most of the hate against 2000s cartoons are also like the hate against modern cartoons.

Check for new replies or respond here...