inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Techno-Country

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 9:29 pm

Anyone remember the 1994 hit "Cotton Eye Joe" by Swedish group Rednex?  This was the first hit to fuse Eurodance and Country Music together, which in turn spawned several other styled hits by other artists around the world 

Here's a few others that spring to mind:

Everybody Gonfi-Gon - Two Cowboys
Swamp Thing - The Grid
The Square Dance Song - BKS featuring Ashley MacIsaac (Canada's entry)

Subject: Re: Techno-Country

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/03/07 at 9:31 pm

What a crap genre.  Taking two things that don't belong together and then trying to meld them together.....like peanut butter and dog crap. 

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:37 pm

Oh F*** now I've got that darn song Cotton Eyed Joe going through my head!!!!  Make it stop, Make it stop!!!!!!!

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 9:38 pm

What a crap genre.  Taking two things that don't belong together and then trying to meld them together.....like peanut butter and dog crap. 

...and then there was this time when Beth said exactly what was on my mind.

Anyone remember the 1994 hit "Cotton Eye Joe" by Swedish group Rednex? 

Unfortunately, yes. Did Sweden ever issue a formal apology for that musical atrocity? I don't remember them doing so...

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:41 pm

...and then there was this time when Beth said exactly what was on my mind.

Unfortunately, yes. Did Sweden ever issue a formal apology for that musical atrocity? I don't remember them doing so...

Make it stop, Make it stop!!!!!!!

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 9:44 pm

No.  The song was too popular ;D

I never much liked 'Cotton Eye Joe' myself, due to great great great overplay, but the genre itself was OK.  The similar songs by other groups that followed did it so much better

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 9:45 pm

Make it stop, Make it stop!!!!!!!

Play "It's A Small World" for 5 minutes. Nevermind, that's not really good advice nor does it fix the problem.  :D

Testing a smoke alarm near your ear would probably do the trick.

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:47 pm

Play "It's A Small World" for 5 minutes. Nevermind, that's not really good advice nor does it fix the problem.  :D

Testing a smoke alarm near your ear would probably do the trick.

Okay, I'll try it.  Thank you for your compassion.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 9:59 pm

Okay, I'll try it.  Thank you for your compassion.

You're welcome. Of course, you will be partially deaf in that frequency range for about 20 minutes, but smoke alarms save lives! (and, occasionally, minds from horrible music).

No.  The song was too popular ;D

I never much liked 'Cotton Eye Joe' myself, due to great great great overplay, but the genre itself was OK.  The similar songs by other groups that followed did it so much better

I just listened to it again. The music isn't bad, and that girl has a good voice, but the lyrics and video totally sucked. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go test my smoke alarm...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/07 at 10:09 pm

But it's a cool song!  ;D

Written By: limblifter on 04/04/07 at 1:16 pm

Off the top of my head I can only think of one thing more annoying than Techno-Country, and that would be Techno-Scat. "Skeetle dee dee dee dumm doo doo doo" I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/07 at 1:19 pm

Off the top of my head I can only think of one thing more annoying than Techno-Country, and that would be Techno-Scat. "Skeetle dee dee dee dumm doo doo doo" I just threw up in my mouth a little.

LOL like Scatman John.  I actually enjoyed that ;D

Written By: limblifter on 04/04/07 at 1:25 pm

LOL like Scatman John.  I actually enjoyed that ;D

Yeah that's it. I couldn't remember the name

Written By: K-Bee on 04/06/07 at 1:20 am

Scatman John's real name was John Larkin and he used to be a Jazz singer before transforming into this euro-dance act. He died in 1999.

A compilation of his jazz recordings were issued by Stunt and later picked up for international release by Iceberg records.

http://image.listen.com/img/170x170/6/7/4/0/660476_170x170.jpg

VERY different from the stuff most people know him for.

Written By: Midas on 04/08/07 at 12:10 am

I dropped "Giddy Up" by 2 In A Room last night on my show.  That seems to fit the Techno-Country vein.  I don't mind it that much but there's better stuff out there.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/07 at 12:12 am

^ Giddy Up is a cool track!

Just made me think of one I forgot about ... "Rhinestone Cowboy (Giddy Up! Giddy Up!)" by Rikki and Daz featuring Glen Campbell ;D

Written By: zcrito on 04/08/07 at 8:12 pm

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...