inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think some '80s music could've come out in the '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/27/07 at 10:41 pm

I think so, especially without some of the cheesier synths. I'm not just talking about the underground "pre-Nineties" stuff either (REM, grunge-type bands, Metallica, etc). I'll go out on a limb and say most music after MTV went on the air could have. The more I think about it, '80s and '90s pop really isn't as disparate as people commonly think. Both decades are probably closer to the past in terms of genres, but with current production.

Lots of '80s Top Forty could've probably been '90s AC - such as "Every Breath You Take", "I Wanna Know What Love Is" or more heartland-style rock like John Mellencamp. Artists like Crowded House and Bruce Hornsby were sorta adult alternative that could've fit in with, say Sheryl Crow or Gin Blossoms.

In the most extended sense, "oldies" were about 1955-1980/'81, and "modern" music is 1982+.

Subject: Re: Do you think some '80s music could've come out in the '90s?

Written By: tv on 04/28/07 at 4:07 pm

responding to your post ah "Never A Time" by "Genesis" could have been released in the 80's and I thought it was than I learned it was actually a hit song in 1992. Wasn;t "Dance Into The Light" by Phil Collins a hit in 1996 and I thought that was 80's too but its not I don;t think so. Phil Collins always had the same sound to him no matter if it was 80's or 90's.

On the Gin Blossoms in my opinion they had an 80's catchiness to their songs but the Gin Blossoms always sounded very 1994-1996 to me. Sheryl Crow screams 1994-1996 to me as well.

On another opinion of mine is that "Eddie Brickell and the New Bohiems" 1989 hit "What I Am" always sounded very 90's to me because of the gutair riff and the vocals in that song. I love the gutair riff in that song too and as a matter of fact that gutair riff had been sampeled in a couple of rap songs during the decade of the 90's. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/07 at 9:35 pm

responding to your post ah "Never A Time" by "Genesis" could have been released in the 80's and I thought it was than I learned it was actually a hit song in 1992. Wasn;t "Dance Into The Light" by Phil Collins a hit in 1996 and I thought that was 80's too but its not I don;t think so. Phil Collins always had the same sound to him no matter if it was 80's or 90's.

On the Gin Blossoms in my opinion they had an 80's catchiness to their songs but the Gin Blossoms always sounded very 1994-1996 to me. Sheryl Crow screams 1994-1996 to me as well.

On another opinion of mine is that "Eddie Brickell and the New Bohiems" 1989 hit "What I Am" always sounded very 90's to me because of the gutair riff and the vocals in that song. I love the gutair riff in that song too and as a matter of fact that gutair riff had been sampeled in a couple of rap songs during the decade of the 90's. 

Yeah, "What I Am" is extremely Nineties with its Alanis Morisette-esque accoustic alternative pop sound. I was surprised to learn it was really from 1989. It easily sounds like 1994 or '95. I agree about Phil Collins too. "Everyday" also sounded '80s, in a way, so did his cover of "True Colors" (which I actually prefer over the original).

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/28/07 at 9:39 pm

"Eddie Brickell and the New Bohiems" 1989 hit "What I Am" always sounded very 90's to me because of the gutair riff and the vocals in that song. I love the gutair riff in that song too and as a matter of fact that gutair riff had been sampeled in a couple of rap songs during the decade of the 90's. 

I could totally see Edie in the Lilith Fair; however, I'm glad "Shooting Rubberbands" came out when it did for selfish reasons.  I was 16 then and that album was as important to me as oxygen!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/30/07 at 11:52 am

Probally in the early 90's.

Written By: tv on 05/03/07 at 5:52 pm

You know I was listening to the late Robert Palmer's cover version today of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me" and i thought it was 80's(like 1986) but Palmers cover version of Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me" was actually from 1991.

Written By: masterpwn3r on 05/08/07 at 11:58 pm

ya punk rock came out of the late 80's early 90s

Subject: Re: Do you think some \'80s music could\'ve come out in the \'90s?

Written By: iPwn on 05/09/07 at 12:13 am

I think so. Friday I\'m In Love?

Subject: Re: Do you think some \'80s music could\'ve come out in the \'90s?

Written By: jens_pinkflute_ on 05/10/07 at 7:27 pm

I think so. Friday I\'m In Love?

I've heard that song, it does sound like it's from the 90s.

Answering the topic question I say yes.

Written By: jens_pinkflute_ on 05/10/07 at 7:29 pm

It is from the 80s isn't it. I was told it was.

Written By: Poop Pants on 05/10/07 at 7:31 pm

I think so. Friday I'm In Love?

Friday I'm In Love is from the 90's. It was a big hit the year that Bill Clinton first ran for President.

Written By: jens_pinkflute_ on 05/10/07 at 7:48 pm

Hi

were you answering me or someone else? I was the one who asked because I was told that it was from late 80s.  Oh well lol.

Written By: rich1981 on 05/10/07 at 10:40 pm

A couple of examples I can think of include The Bangles' later stuff, as well as Fine Young Cannibals, and Bobby Brown.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 11:03 pm

The grandaddy of them all ... Killing Joke.  When I hear their 1984 song 'Eighties', i swear, it sounds like something out of the Grunge rock era

Check for new replies or respond here...