inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What did anyone think of Michael Bolton in the '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 2:44 pm

He was one of those artists whom had huge sales, but was commonly considered cool to hate. He had this stereotypicalified housewife appeal. While I wouldn't want to listen to it continuously, and it did get way overexposed back then, I actually liked a few of his songs. They're sorta pleasant, just like most AC from the '90s was. I sort of miss that sort of music, especially since there tends to be less soft rock artists now (unless you count someone like James Blunt, lol).

In a weird way, he was like a heavily distilled '80s pop/rock artist, which made sense when I found out he actually used to be a hair metal-esque rock singer before making it big with R&B flavored ballads. You can sorta hear that influence on a couple select hits, like "How Can We Be Lovers", but it wasn't typical.

Subject: Re: What did anyone think of Michael Bolton in the '90s?

Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 4:03 pm

I thought he was okay. He had a hit in late 1993 with "Said I Loved You, But I Lied"...which I could tolerate.

Written By: woops on 05/03/07 at 4:08 pm

Didn't think of him much besides a sketch on "In Living Color"  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 4:30 pm

I thought he was okay. He had a hit in late 1993 with "Said I Loved You, But I Lied"...which I could tolerate.

Funny, as that's the one I had in mind when I thought about this. I remember that being all over the radio in early '94. It's a pretty song, so it almost tends to give me a peaceful nostalgic feeling when I think back to my life at the time. Again, I wouldn't want every song being like that, but some here and there are good. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/07 at 4:33 pm

I liked his songs.  They were fun and catchy, and when it comes to music, that's all that matters :)

Written By: tv on 05/03/07 at 5:18 pm

Michael Bolton-I am a not a fan of his music but I think of him as an artist that goes fits in into the 1991-1993 music scene perfectly. I think his contempararies were female artists like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, and Whitney houston during that time and maybe male artists like Jon Secada or a Peter Cetera but Cetera and Secada I don;t think ever got the recognition from a popularity prespective  or the amount of hate that Bolton got at the time if I can remember correctly. Bolton just faded out in the mid 90's(1995) and his career musically just didn't recover. Meanwhile, A contemparary like Mariah Carey went to experiment to a more hip-hop sound in some of her songs from 1995+ and Dion really never re-ivented herself totally like Carey did but still Dion's records sold while but Bolton's career sank.

Marty- I thought that was kinda of an ironic pun if you will that you said Michael Bolton had a housewives appeal musically since he is engaged or married for that matter to " Desperate Housewives" star Nicolette Sheridan.

Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 9:15 pm

Funny, as that's the one I had in mind when I thought about this. I remember that being all over the radio in early '94. It's a pretty song, so it almost tends to give me a peaceful nostalgic feeling when I think back to my life at the time. Again, I wouldn't want every song being like that, but some here and there are good. ;)

Yeah...it was one of the many songs I listened to on the radio in 1994 as well. At the time, I was transitioning from junior high into high school, so that's more or less how I remember it. I've noticed that with various songs, making me think of my life during a certain time period. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 9:31 pm

^ Right on, same with me, although I was only in 6th grade. Even though I had liked music since age 4 or 5, there does start to be a difference when you can personally relate to the lyrics.

Michael Bolton-I am a not a fan of his music but I think of him as an artist that goes fits in into the 1991-1993 music scene perfectly. I think his contempararies were female artists like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, and Whitney houston during that time and maybe male artists like Jon Secada or a Peter Cetera but Cetera and Secada I don;t think ever got the recognition from a popularity prespective  or the amount of hate that Bolton got at the time if I can remember correctly. Bolton just faded out in the mid 90's(1995) and his career musically just didn't recover. Meanwhile, A contemparary like Mariah Carey went to experiment to a more hip-hop sound in some of her songs from 1995+ and Dion really never re-ivented herself totally like Carey did but still Dion's records sold while but Bolton's career sank.

Marty- I thought that was kinda of an ironic pun if you will that you said Michael Bolton had a housewives appeal musically since he is engaged or married for that matter to " Desperate Housewives" star Nicolette Sheridan.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Bolton fits the softer side of the 1992 zeitgeist, and I don't think it would've been as easy for him to transition away from that. I'm not sure I'd even want to imagine him doing hip hop, lol. I also remember Jon Secada and especially liked "If You Go". Lots of older artists also were big AC stars, like Phil Collins, Bryan Adams, Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart etc. just like Cetera was.

P.S. Didn't realize the irony of the housewife comparison now. ;) While I don't think I personally witnessed middle-aged women listening to him myself, I remember him consistantly being referenced that way at the time. If he was that popular, I'm sure his fanbase consisted of many people who secretly listened to him, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 10:16 pm

He was one of those artists whom had huge sales, but was commonly considered cool to hate. He had this stereotypicalified housewife appeal. While I wouldn't want to listen to it continuously, and it did get way overexposed back then, I actually liked a few of his songs. They're sorta pleasant, just like most AC from the '90s was. I sort of miss that sort of music, especially since there tends to be less soft rock artists now (unless you count someone like James Blunt, lol).

In a weird way, he was like a heavily distilled '80s pop/rock artist, which made sense when I found out he actually used to be a hair metal-esque rock singer before making it big with R&B flavored ballads. You can sorta hear that influence on a couple select hits, like "How Can We Be Lovers", but it wasn't typical.

I never really got into his music...but I always like the song, "How Can We Be Lovers"...I liked the tune.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 10:35 pm

I never really got into his music...but I always like the song, "How Can We Be Lovers"...I liked the tune.

Yeah, I've heard people who didn't normally like him still enjoyed that song. It was one of his few upbeat ones, it's sorta "lite hair metal-esque". I think he strained his voice too much on the slower ones, which is what I heard people criticize him for back then. Somebody once compared him to Fabio in looks too. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 10:46 pm

Yeah, I've heard people who didn't normally like him still enjoyed that song. It was one of his few upbeat ones, it's sorta "lite hair metal-esque". I think he strained his voice too much on the slower ones, which is what I heard people criticize him for back then. Somebody once compared him to Fabio in looks too. ;D

I saw him on Oprah a few weeks ago..and he "tried" to sing that song...but he just could NOT hit those high notes...he had to alter the song a bit so that the usual high notes..ended up as much lower notes. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 11:00 pm

I saw him on Oprah a few weeks ago..and he "tried" to sing that song...but he just could NOT hit those high notes...he had to alter the song a bit so that the usual high notes..ended up as much lower notes. :D

LOL, I can picture that. It's ironic because, while most people's voices don't change much over time (after puberty takes off I mean), they do tend to not be able to do the high notes as much when they get older. I hear that Morten Hackett from A-Ha can still do the high note in "Take On Me" pretty well, but I wonder how long that'll last? ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 11:03 pm

LOL, I can picture that. It's ironic because, while most people's voices don't change much over time (after puberty takes off I mean), they do tend to not be able to do the high notes as much when they get older. I hear that Morten Hackett from A-Ha can still do the high note in "Take On Me" pretty well, but I wonder how long that'll last? ;)

Ya, I know what you mean. Some of the older doo wop groups, and oldies groups from the 50's and 60's, that happen to be still together....they tend to have those problems hitting those high notes of the past. :D

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/03/07 at 11:13 pm

The lunch ladies at school liked him...

What did they call that hair-do of his, he's the only one who ever sported that look. It's not funny or anything, it's just that it wasn't even close to looking like an 80s mullet.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 11:15 pm

The lunch ladies at school liked him...

What did they call that hair-do of his, he's the only one who ever sported that look. It's not funny or anything, it's just that it wasn't even close to looking like an 80s mullet.

it was balding on top...and long in the back. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 11:20 pm

The ironic thing is, I still have the second half of his "Georgia On My Mind" video recorded off VH1 back in the day.....from a show called Sex Symbols. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 11:23 pm

The ironic thing is, I still have the second half of his "Georgia On My Mind" video recorded off VH1 back in the day.....from a show called Sex Symbols. ;D

OMG..I think I vaguely remember hearing about that show. :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 11:26 pm

OMG..I think I vaguely remember hearing about that show. :D ;D

Yeah, they basically just showed music videos from artists that were considered "sexy" (George Michael's "Freedom '90" was on all the time, and I thought it was boring, lol). Barry White hosted it too, so it was odd seeing Bolton and him in sequence. ;D

Did you ever personally watch it back then, when it had that clear cutout logo? It was very much like a "best of '80s MTV" with some newer AC thrown in.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 11:30 pm

Yeah, they basically just showed music videos from artists that were considered "sexy" (George Michael's "Freedom '90" was on all the time, and I thought it was boring, lol). Barry White hosted it too, so it was odd seeing Bolton and him in sequence. ;D

Did you ever personally watch it back then, when it had that clear cutout logo? It was very much like a "best of '80s MTV" with some newer AC thrown in.

I used to watch it a lot because my mom would never let me watch MTV. For some reason, back then, VH1 was a milder version of MTV...so she seemed ok with that. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 11:41 pm

I used to watch it a lot because my mom would never let me watch MTV. For some reason, back then, VH1 was a milder version of MTV...so she seemed ok with that. ;D

Ironically, I was never much into MTV. Back then, they were shifting more towards heavy metal and grunge, and I always liked mainstream pop or at most classic rock. Would you have thought I was a dork back then if you met me (like when I was 9 and you were 14 and I was watching MTV lite)? ;) ;D

One thing I liked was how often older videos were in constant rotation with the new ones. In 1991 or '92, even early '80s stuff was still on alot of the time. My favorite was the Video Rewind blocks, although I always watched the Top 21 Countdowns too.

Yeah, it was pretty much unobjectionable stuff. Was your mom opposed to everything on MTV, or just the more hardcore stuff?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 11:42 pm

Ironically, I was never much into MTV. Back then, they were shifting more towards heavy metal and grunge, and I always liked mainstream pop or at most classic rock. Would you have thought I was a dork back then if you met me (like when I was 9 and you were 14 and I was watching MTV lite)? ;) ;D

One thing I liked was how often older videos were in constant rotation with the new ones. In 1991 or '92, even early '80s stuff was still on alot of the time. My favorite was the Video Rewind blocks.

I'm just as much of a dork as you are...hahaaha..I was listening to New Kids On The Block at that time! :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/07 at 11:46 pm

I'm just as much of a dork as you are...hahaaha..I was listening to New Kids On The Block at that time! :D ;D

;D

That's not dorky. Even then, I was vaguely jealous of them because of all the girls who liked 'em, lol. While I wasn't a major fan of their music, it was okay (to this day "I'll Be Loving You Forever" is a guilty pleasure). Was it dorky for a 9-year old of 1991 to listen to Phil Collins, Foreigner, Paula Abdul and Eddie Money? At the very most rebellous/heaviest, some latter-day Aerosmith.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/07 at 1:22 pm

;D

That's not dorky. Even then, I was vaguely jealous of them because of all the girls who liked 'em, lol. While I wasn't a major fan of their music, it was okay (to this day "I'll Be Loving You Forever" is a guilty pleasure). Was it dorky for a 9-year old of 1991 to listen to Phil Collins, Foreigner, Paula Abdul and Eddie Money? At the very most rebellous/heaviest, some latter-day Aerosmith.

nah, that's not dorky..I think it's kinda cool. 8)

Written By: tv on 05/04/07 at 2:19 pm

Yeah true Bolton did look like Fabio a little bit but the comparsion was probably made before Bolton cut off his long locks.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/04/07 at 2:49 pm

He wasn't that all that great.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/07 at 8:31 am

nah, that's not dorky..I think it's kinda cool. 8)

:)

I guess while you were into The New Kids, for me it was "King of Wishful Thinking", "Second Chance", "Opposites Attract" and "Another Day in Paradise". Of course, I'm talking about then-new music, and not stuff from some years before which we might've been listening to as well. However, despite my roots in "1984ish" stuff, I also equally liked Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even Nirvana a little bit, even if I couldn't relate to the anger of the grunge lyrics really.

I guess I'm oddly diverse in alot of ways, lol.

P.S. I guess in a residual sense, I liked Paula the way you liked Jordan and Donny, so maybe we weren't that different even then. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/07 at 10:52 am

:)

I guess while you were into The New Kids, for me it was "King of Wishful Thinking", "Second Chance", "Opposites Attract" and "Another Day in Paradise". Of course, I'm talking about then-new music, and not stuff from some years before which we might've been listening to as well. However, despite my roots in "1984ish" stuff, I also equally liked Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even Nirvana a little bit, even if I couldn't relate to the anger of the grunge lyrics really.

I guess I'm oddly diverse in alot of ways, lol.

P.S. I guess in a residual sense, I liked Paula the way you liked Jordan and Donny, so maybe we weren't that different even then. :D

ya know..I never did get into the grunge thing (I never lived Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc)....while everyone was listening to that..I was still very much into The Pet Shop Boys, New Order...stuff like that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 12:21 am

ya know..I never did get into the grunge thing (I never lived Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc)....while everyone was listening to that..I was still very much into The Pet Shop Boys, New Order...stuff like that.

It's weird, because I'm totally on the fence with it. Some of it was noise to me, and I never became a huge fan, although I never really hated it either. After the real '90s got going (late 1991+), my favorite music was the more pop and ballad-type stuff. Of course, I also stuck with listening to my '80s stuff too.

Written By: nally on 05/21/07 at 11:58 am

;D

Not at all. I turned 11 in 1991 and listened to similar artists at the time...but not very much.

Written By: woops on 05/21/07 at 9:14 pm

I wasn't into popular music until I was around 13 in the later 1990's  :D

Though most of my older relatives were into alternative and hip hop...and also a few into New Kids (which I remember in cartoon form...along with Hammerman)  ::) :P

Written By: gmann on 05/26/07 at 11:31 am

Didn't think of him much besides a sketch on "In Living Color"  :D

I can still see it in my mind's eye..."When a man needs a big hit."  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/27/07 at 2:56 am

I feel sorry for him. I mean, there was nothing wrong with his name until he was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/bolton/bolton1.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/07 at 9:13 am

^Do you mean Bolton himself or his career? ;) I'm sure when HE was 12, his name was unknown to everyone but his family and friends, lol. He was in his 30s in the 1988/'89-1994 time when his soft rock/R&Bish pop was on the charts. But I think he was around for quite awhile before then (in his hair metal phase).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/27/07 at 9:34 pm

I feel sorry for him. I mean, there was nothing wrong with his name until he was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/bolton/bolton1.jpg

hahaha...Office Space was such a great movie! :D ;D

Written By: billy on 02/19/11 at 3:48 pm

I CANT BELIEVE WHAT IM READING HERE! MICHAEL BOLTON WAS AND STILL IS ONE OF THE GREATEST MALE SINGERS THERE HAS EVER BEEN! AT HIS PEAK HIS VOCAL RANGE WAS 5 OCTAVES WHICH IS INCREDIBLE, ESPECIALLY FOR A MAN. HE HAS SOLD NEARLY 64 MILLION RECORDS!! HE IS IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME. HE IS ONE OF THE ONLY PEOPLE TO HAVE DUETED WITH PAVAROTTI BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WAS EVER GOOD ENOUGH TO DO SO! HE HAS WRITTEN SONGS WITH BOB DYLAN AMONG OTHER GREAT WRITERS! PERCY SLEDGE AND RAY CHARLES SAID IN DIFFERENT INTERVIEWS THAT THEY THINK MICHAEL BOLTON HAS THE BEST VOICE THEY HAVE EVER HEARD!!! HE WON A GRAMMY FOR HIS VERSION OF WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN AND MANY OTHER ENGLISH AND AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS!! HE IS BRILLIANT!

Written By: weareclouds on 02/19/11 at 8:56 pm

Michael Bolton was to me what I like to call..."my stepdad's music" As, he had a ton of Bolton's CDs in the 1990s and used to annoy the crap out of me by playing them on the loudest stereo in the house. Didn't like him then. Still don't. Never will.  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...