inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Special this Sunday - "SNL: in the 90s"

Written By: audkal on 05/03/07 at 10:15 pm

There's a special on NBC this Sunday (May 6), at 9 PM.  It's called, "SNL: In The 90s".  I hope they play a lot of good Chris Farley stuff.  8)

Subject: Re: Special this Sunday - "SNL: in the 90s"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 10:15 pm

Yes, this looks really cool...I will have to watch that.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/07 at 12:46 am

I wonder if they will show that infamous Chippendales sketch with Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze ;D

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/04/07 at 12:58 am

I wish I could experience SNL in the 90's. I couldn't even stay up past 8 back then.  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/04/07 at 10:44 am

the good stuff is between 1990-1994

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/04/07 at 2:50 pm

I'll be watching, count me in!

Written By: audkal on 05/04/07 at 2:54 pm

I wonder if they will show that infamous Chippendales sketch with Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze ;D

Most likely, I saw a clip of it on the commercial.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/07 at 8:03 am

Good stuff, I'll be watching or at least taping it too. 8)

The show had an incredible run in that 1989/'90-1996 period or so, especially with Adam Sandler and Phil Hartman. I didn't get into Chris Farley until I saw Tommy Boy and some of his other movies, but I remember some of his skits, like "I live in a van down by the river!"

Written By: audkal on 05/05/07 at 2:51 pm

Good stuff, I'll be watching or at least taping it too. 8)

The show had an incredible run in that 1989/'90-1996 period or so, especially with Adam Sandler and Phil Hartman. I didn't get into Chris Farley until I saw Tommy Boy and some of his other movies, but I remember some of his skits, like "I live in a van down by the river!"

I'm definitely gonna be taping this thing too.  ;)

Yeah I think my favorite SNL cast members of all time are Chris Farley and Phil Hartman (too bad they're both gone).  :\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 12:12 am

I'm definitely gonna be taping this thing too.  ;)

Yeah I think my favorite SNL cast members of all time are Chris Farley and Phil Hartman (too bad they're both gone).  :\'(

Same here, especially considering they both happened relatively close to each other and weren't "natural". Phil seemed like such a nice, cool guy. It might sound silly to some people, but I was really sad when I heard about his death. :( I guess when you're familar with a celebrity's work, it's almost like you know them in a weird way.

Written By: audkal on 05/06/07 at 12:20 am

Same here, especially considering they both happened relatively close to each other and weren't "natural". Phil seemed like such a nice, cool guy. It might sound silly to some people, but I was really sad when I heard about his death. :( I guess when you're familar with a celebrity's work, it's almost like you know them in a weird way.

Though I was just 8 when he died, I was sad too.  :\'( And I can get the "feeling like you know them" thing.  When Steve Irwin died my dad was like, "Dang, it feels like I lost a friend".  He was a big fan of Steve.

Phil's kids were orphaned when he died (his wife killed him, then killed herself).  I wonder how/what the kids are doing now(?)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/07 at 12:30 am

There's a special on NBC this Sunday (May 6), at 9 PM.  It's called, "SNL: In The 90s".  I hope they play a lot of good Chris Farley stuff.  8)
thanks for the info on the show. I hope I'm around to watch it. love all the Chris Farley characters, and hopefull will see sketchs of my main man, Tim Meadows, The Ladies man  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_rr.gif

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 12:39 am

Though I was just 8 when he died, I was sad too.  :\'( And I can get the "feeling like you know them" thing.  When Steve Irwin died my dad was like, "Dang, it feels like I lost a friend".  He was a big fan of Steve.

Phil's kids were orphaned when he died (his wife killed him, then killed herself).  I wonder how/what the kids are doing now(?)

Yeah, I've wondered about their kids too. I think they went to live with a relative, so they're probably out of the public eye now. I'm sure it was really hard on them. I agree, it's even more of a tragedy because of how needless it was (her not thinking of the kids). From what I read at the time, they had an argument then he just went to bed, not wanting to deal with her when she was angry. Then she shot him in his sleep. :(

Yeah, I felt the same you guys did about Irwin. He was kind of larger than life because he was so popular, and one of those people that kinda seems like he could be everyone's friend.

Written By: FredTice6 on 05/06/07 at 7:35 pm

It's coming on in about 20 minutes  8)

Written By: audkal on 05/06/07 at 10:51 pm

Yeah, I've wondered about their kids too. I think they went to live with a relative, so they're probably out of the public eye now. I'm sure it was really hard on them. I agree, it's even more of a tragedy because of how needless it was (her not thinking of the kids). From what I read at the time, they had an argument then he just went to bed, not wanting to deal with her when she was angry. Then she shot him in his sleep. :(

Yeah, that had to be really hard for them, I just hope they are alright and having good lives now.  :)

So what did you guys think of the show?  I kinda thought it was cool that it was more of a documentary.  I nearly cried on the credits when they played Oasis' "Don't Go Away".  For one, obviously 'cause it brings back memories for me, but the lyrics also related really well to what they were talking about.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/07 at 10:56 pm

I thought the show was great! It was awesome to see the old cast members talking about old times on the show, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 11:06 pm

It must have aired at the same time in each coast 'cause it's just starting over here. They just are finishing their opening song in the first skit now. Glad you guys liked it 'cause it looks good so far. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/07 at 11:06 pm

It must have aired at the same time in each coast 'cause it's just starting over here. They just are finishing their opening song in the first skit now. Glad you guys liked it 'cause it looks good so far. :)

have fun watching it...it's worth it. :)

Written By: audkal on 05/06/07 at 11:10 pm

Yes you'll enjoy it Marty.  :)

Written By: La Roche on 05/06/07 at 11:10 pm

Hehehe, that was enjoyable.. got me remembering some of the other sketches as well.. I love 'More Cowbell'!

Written By: Kyle700 on 05/06/07 at 11:23 pm

Hehehe, that was enjoyable.. got me remembering some of the other sketches as well.. I love 'More Cowbell'!

I'm surprised they showed the "Cowbell" sketch, because that actually aired in April 2000

Written By: audkal on 05/06/07 at 11:26 pm

I'm surprised they showed the "Cowbell" sketch, because that actually aired in April 2000

Probably 'cause it was the second half of the season that started in '99(?)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/07/07 at 7:18 am

have fun watching it...it's worth it. :)

Yeah, it was a really good show. The only thing with all the clips is that it makes me want to see the full things even more now, lol.

Was anyone confused by the opening skit with Steve Martin? I was before I realized it was an "in the present" piece from the '90s, talking about the show's glory days of the '70s (now that piece would be like double nostalgic!).

I like the interviews with various castmembers sharing their insight on everything. It was also cool how they went in sequential order of the seasons, instead of throwing it all together. I had no idea that second "peak" period ended so quickly with Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman and others leaving. It was like 1991-'94 were the really hot years (basically the peak Nineties ;) ), then it crashed and burned before slowly working its way back.

Maybe that sudden shift was why Mad TV took off the way it did. Although I think both series' have gone downhill since the early '00s now.

Written By: audkal on 05/07/07 at 12:31 pm

Yeah, it was a really good show. The only thing with all the clips is that it makes me want to see the full things even more now, lol.

Yeah me too, but then most of the full versions are on the DVDs for the cast members so I guess we just have to see them there.  :P

Maybe that sudden shift was why Mad TV took off the way it did. Although I think both series' have gone downhill since the early '00s now.

Good theory, yeah I think they've both gone down a bit since the early '00s, mainly SNL.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/07 at 1:38 pm

My favorite cast was that of the late 90's (Will Ferrell, Chris Katan, Molly Shannon, Ana Gastyer, Cheri Oteri, etc..)....all of their skits just made me laugh so hard.  IMO, that was a very good time for SNL.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/07/07 at 5:51 pm

I watched the special last night... there were quite a lot of funny skits from SNL during the 90s that I had forgotten about... it was sad to watch some of the Chris Farley/Phil Hartman clips and realize they are no longer with us...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/08/07 at 8:59 pm

It was pretty good.

Check for new replies or respond here...