inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: long forgotten very early 90s freestyle and dance music/songs:90,91,92,93...

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/03/07 at 10:24 pm

I apologize for the extended title but

does everyone consider Lisa Stansfield 80s or 90s? I would say 90s, mainly because she made a comeback in 1997, (there I go again with 97..I think that was my favorite year or something ???), or at least that is what it seemed like to me,because I don't recall her ever releasing any other song after the first CD. Maybe she did and I don't know. And also, who liked Cathy Dennis? She had some really good hit songs early in the decade.

Subject: Re: long forgotten very early 90s freestyle and dance music/songs:90,91,92,93...

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/07 at 11:36 pm

Lisa Stansfield got her start in the late 80s in the group Blue Zone UK, and got her first solo hit in 1989, but to me, she is more 90s

Cathy Dennis was great.  I liked so many of her songs

As for long forgotten early 90s dance music, one artist that always springs to mind is D:Ream

http://dvweb.mpf.arcstarmusic.com/mdb_image2/TJ/tTVBJ_325330_m.jpg

Subject: Re: long forgotten very early 90s freestyle and dance music/songs:90,91,92,93...

Written By: tv on 05/04/07 at 2:11 pm

I apologize for the extended title but

does everyone consider Lisa Stansfield 80s or 90s? I would say 90s, mainly because she made a comeback in 1997, (there I go again with 97..I think that was my favorite year or something ???), or at least that is what it seemed like to me,because I don't recall her ever releasing any other song after the first CD. Maybe she did and I don't know. And also, who liked Cathy Dennis? She had some really good hit songs early in the decade.
I would say Lisa Stansfield is 90's(early 90's though) because "All Around The World" was a smash hit in the US in 1990 but I think in Europe "All Around The World" was a smash hit in Europe in 1989 I think one of the posters on this board said once a couple years ago though. Lisa Stansfield also had other hits in the US like "You Can;t Deny It" "Change" and "All Woman" as well the 1997(I think) cover of Barry White's classic "Never Gonna Give You Up" and I think another hit as well. However. I'm Not sure how big "Never Gonna Give You Up" was in the US according to the Billboard Hot 100 because I remember hearing it in 1998 and not 1997 because VH1 would play the music video for "Never Gonna Give You Up" in 1998 on "Pop-Up video" and an installment on "Sexiet female singers music video's show" I think.

Yes Lisa Stansfield did release a second CD which was released in 1991 in the US after her first one. Her first CD in the US came out in 1990 called "Affection" and her 2nd I forgot what it was called and her 3rd CD which was released in 1997 was simply self-titled "Lisa Stansfield". Yeah Lisa Stansfield did have hit songs off her second CD such as "All Woman" and "Change" but I'm not sure how popular in terms of the Billboard Hot 100 those songs were. "All Woman" I have heard played on R&B stations I think either on sattelite radio(suite 62) or just on the regular radio R&B station in general.

I love Lisa Stansfield.

Cathy Dennis-"Too Many Walls" was a good ballad and I do like "Irresistable" for the noglastia.

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/05/07 at 5:09 pm

3rd CD which was released in 1997 was simply selftitled "Lisa Stansfield".

That was a really good album too. Even though it didn't sound 90s at all, well with the exception of just a couple song tracks. 

Check for new replies or respond here...